• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Magical Miscreants

StarryKnights

A Spastic Collection of Characters and Ideas
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Smoke billows into the air, clogging the lungs and blinding the woodland creatures making their desperate escape from the flames. Among the frantic masses is a boy, no older than ten, fleeing for his life along side a small, fluffy fox.
In a large clearing, hidden away in a secluded forest, an ancient towering structure burns, great clouds of smoke rise into the air as the flames consume everything.
The cries of those trapped inside echo in the boy's ears, each step he takes is fueled by frantic, shallow breaths.
A thousand frantic thoughts gallop through his mind as the flames give chase, herding him and the fleeing creatures toward the edge of a large cliff.
Everything he knew, everyone he loved, were rapidly disappearing as the flames reached for the sky. The boy's run came to a skittering halt as he reached the edge of the cliff, looking down all he could see was the deep, rushing waters of the river below. Feeling the heat of the fire on his back, the gap toothed child sucks down a desperate breath, gathers his furry companion into his arms and leaps into the icy waters below.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Caster jumped as the dream came to an abrupt end, as it always did, with the dreadfully cold water closing in over his head. He lets out a groan as he sits up, the cold compacted dirt beneath him did not make the best pillow for his impromptu nap.
As he stands, he dusts his lanky frame off and startles the sleeping bundle of orange fur at his side. The fox lets out a small yawn as it's master stands, stretching the creature follows suit.
"Up so soon?" The fox speaks in a soft, feminine voice. "You ought to get more rest".
"...We should get moving", the man speaks, without looking down to his companion. The fox lets out a small, huff, a clear sign of her disapproval. A growing man needed his rest, a fact her master was keen to ignore.
Caster gives one final stretch, his back pops in the process, eliciting another groan from the man. He made a mental note to consult an inn the next time he wanted any amount of real rest.
As he bends down to grab his bag off the ground, a couple of new faces arrive on scene.

"Well well, what have we here?"
Blinking, Caster looks up at two large, clearly intoxicated men, the very smell of their breath was enough to give the man a headache.
"Oh gods", the mage takes a step back, so his back is against the wall of the building, which he now assumes was a tavern. He really needed to start paying closer attention to the places he slept behind.
"Look I don't want trouble", Caster talks slowly as he attempts to side step the men, but one cuts him off, grinning.
"This ain't about what you want, its bout what we want", he laughs as his friend cracks his knuckles.
"And we want all the valuables you have on you, so what's in the bag?".

One of the drunks reaches for the strap on his bag, and earns a boot in his face for his troubles. Drunk one drops to his knees, clutching a now bloody nose while the others staggers backward and charges the mage with a loud angry cry.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

((and there we go, sorry for the delay, it's been one hell of a night))

Kicking the door open, a young man exited the nearby tavern with an annoyed expression on his face. Letting out a breath he glared at a nearby drunk who suddenly spun on his heel and stumbled away.

"Well...that was pointless." The boy mumbled in a slightly high pitched voice.

"And hilarious!" a male voice chuckled next to him.

Ice blue eyes shifted to the floating white figure next to him. He sent a glare to the being who gave a cocky grin back.

"Oh c'mon the guys face was priceless when you dunked his head in his own mead!" The figure clutched at his stomach, spinning in a circle in mid air.

"Your commentary didn't help either....that guy thought I was insulting him." the blue eyed teen stated, crossing arms across his flat chest.

Impishly, the white figure with red eyes shrugged. "Isn't my fault that meat bag couldn't see me...humans are such touchy creatures."

Eye twitching, the black haired teen glared again at the ethereal being once more. "Just...please next time don't help Loki."

Loki hummed. "My dear Echo.." he wrapped around the teen and pressed a finger under his chin, glancing into blue eyes. "Don't forget dear girl, who gave you this chance to enact vengeance upon those filth who took everything away from you. Your family...your home.....your life."

Shivering, Echo pulled away from the god. Wrapping her arms around herself, she glanced away. "I know.... I know.. I'm sorry Loki....I won't tell you what to do anymore." She stated through grit teeth. Clenching her arms tighter. The god chuckled.

"Good girl..now we should discuss our next options." Suddenly a loud noise erupted from next to them from a nearby alley and turned their attention to the gradually growing noises. Rolling her eyes a bit, Echo tried to continue the conversation.

"Look, Loki I think that-" Another noise, this time a voice and a cry of pain which caused her to grow more annoyed. First, a dead end lead in a very seedy part of town, a angry god and now someone interrupting a conversation between the two. She gave a sigh and grasped a piece of her cropped black hair. "I really don't have time for this." growling, she was exhausted, annoyed and upset.

So she really was itching for a fight.

Loki saw the look in her eyes and grinned. "Go get them my cute warrior princess!" He chimed before vanishing from sight. Grumbling more, Echo stomped her way down the alleyway until she saw the scene before her. One guy was clutching his nose in pain obviously while another was reaching for a guy's bag. She raised a eyebrow and coughed, causing the two guys to stop and stare. She quickly folded her arms across her chest and tried to look the 16 year old boy she pretended to be. Leaning to one side and glaring at the two.

"I may not know what is going on here." She said in a gruff voice. "But honestly you two idiots better leave before things get worse for you."

"This is no concern of yours you little-"

Eye twitch. Did this guy really just call her little? Lifting her foot a bit she smirked. "Little huh?" she slammed her foot down and suddenly a large column of earth exploded upwards under the guys feet, sending him flying up into the sky until he vanished from view. She glanced at the other drunkard. "Want to join your friend in the underworld?" She asked with a sickeningly sweet grin.

Caster's gaze shifted as a new person arrived on the scene. His eyes widened, not because of the pissy teen standing at the mouth of the ally, but because of the spirit hovering around him. He was no stranger to spirits, hell, his fox was a spirit, though she could assume and maintain a physical form thanks to the bond they shared. It had been years since Caster had seen another person gifted with a magical talent, and finding one in the middle of a brawl was pure dumb luck.
In the time it took him to regain his composure, the teen, who's voice was awful high for a young boy, stomped their foot, and sent the drunk attempting to attack Caster into the sky.
The drunk let out a scream akin to a squealing pig that faded slowly as he faded from sight.

Both men stared upwards for a moment, the drunk recovered first, eyes wide with fear and still clutching his most likely broken nose the man scrambled to his feet and stumbled his way out of the ally, leaving the smell of pee in his wake. This left the teen, Caster, and their respective spirits alone in the ally.
Blinking, Caster looked to the kid, eyebrow arched.

"...Well, I...suppose that answers your question huh", he asks, looking to where the drunk had ran. "...Seems he wasn't keen on joining his friend". Glancing back to the teen and the spirit floating at their side, Caster sighs.

"Now, who the hell would you be...and where did you get that". He points straight at the spirit at her shoulder. "Been a while since I've seen another person with...one of those...".

"Master...", the fox curled up around the man's legs. "is it wise to be so...inquisitive?" she asked somewhat nervous as she looked up, her mismatched eyes were full of worry. "We don't know who they are...or whom they may represent...".

Caster knew Kayumi, his dedicated companion and guardian spirit, had a point. But by now he imaging this kid had spotted the magic aura around him and Yumi both, so there was little point in hiding. Summoners, or spirit callers as they were once called, all had a distinct aura that those imbued with an affinity for magic could see.

He imagined this kid could. They possessed some impressive magic for sure...but there was something off about the pair that made the mage's skin crawl. He attempted to look less nervous than he was, but truth be told Caster wasn't sure what to make of the kid, and their spirit companion.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Echo raised a eyebrow at the others comment about who she was, and where she got...what? Briefly glancing to her side, she saw Loki slowly reveal himself. Realizing that the guy meant Loki, she'd let him handle this. After all, Loki was a much smooth talker than she would ever be.

"Well, isn't this fascinating? Seems the boy and his...pet noticed me." Shrugging he spun around Echo, placing both hands on her shoulder. Yet she didn't move a inch.

"Sure, I'll bite. my name is Loki. This is my...companion, Echo. Echo Void." He hummed, watching their expressions. "As for where I was found. 7 years ago in a crumbling utopia in the midst of a war seems about right, eh Echo?" He chuckled, watching her hand form into fists and her head turn to the side.

Echo's ice cold eyes once again drifted to Caster and she let out a annoyed sigh. "Well, if were done here." accidentally she used her female voice and didn't even realize it. Still, she spun on her heel, ready to call it a night. "Yeah it was nice saving your arse and all that. But I have other...agendas."

Loki chuckled.

Yumi bristled as the strange spirit dismissed as a mere pet.

"I'll show you a pet", she hissed at the cocky spirit. Their first fellow mage in years and the both of them were insufferable, she cursed her master horrid luck.
Caster, to his credit, looked less annoyed and more curious. The mage was typically distrustful of others, having people out to kill you did tend to cause a healthy amount of skepticism.
Still, he doubted this teen..girl, judging from the high pitch voice, represented those parities.

"Loki...as in the trickster...?" he arched an eyebrow, as he'd read about a spirit bearing that name many years ago. His monastery was once full of numerous magical texts, they were all burned to ash though. Many talked about the deities and spirits that lived parallel to the world of man, but there was no telling if this "loki" was the same creature.
Caster remembered that creature being some strange reptilian like creature, so he doubted it. Still, his interest was peaked, and as the girl turned away, the older teen followed after her.
It seemed the two shared an equally tragic past and Caster would've been lying if he said he wasn't curious. That, and a person with powers as potent as what Echo seemed to possess could make his journey a lot safer.

"Not so fast lit-" he was about to say "little", when Yumi nipped at his ankle, a reminder of what had happened to the last fool who had called her that. "...Echo...", he reconsidered his words carefully, he didn't want to get in a fight with this girl.
Sure, he was confidant he could win but...that wasn't the point.

Clearing his throat, Caster spoke. "I'm not in the habit of being saved by...well, anyone".
He scratched at the back of his neck, clearly the older teen wasn't used to well, conversing. His scraggly appearance was usually enough to keep people at arm's length, typically the only one he talked to was Yumi.
The fox followed after her master, and picked up where he left off.
"...Your not the only one with an...agenda little girl. And two casters together is better than one". She hopped up onto Caster's shoulder.

"...perhaps we could help each other". Yumi watched the pair warily, as she wasn't so sure about asking them for help. Still, she supposed if they refused that would be the end of it, and if it came down to a fight...then she could teach the other spirit some manners.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Loki smirked at the others words. "Trickster? Is that what they call me now?" He clucked his tongue and still seemed rather amused by the situation.

But when Caster stopped her, Echo turned a bit and ignored him almost calling her little. Then her eyes focused on the spirit next to him and simply rolled her eyes when the little furball called her little girl. But her eyes focused back onto Caster, as if trying to figure him out.

"And why should I join up with you? I'm fine on my own. I doubt you could provide me anything useful about my quest." She said, not at all worried that the other discovered she was female. "I'm going to face a group of murdering cold blooded thieves. They took something of mine, and they will pay. Traveling with me is not for the faint of heart." She warned. She wasn't mean or cruel about it. She was matter of fact, saying this all with a emotionless face.

"And furthermore-" Suddenly she became a little dizzy and leaned to the side, collapsing to her knees and grasping onto the earth to keep from passing out.

Suddenly her stomach growled and a silence erupted between the group.

Loki burst out laughing. "Figures your loud mouth stomach would need to interject!" He continued to laugh at this hilarious turn of events and Echo was blushing a bit, looking embarrassed.

Yes she hadn't eaten much for dinner and frankly that spell with the earth had taken a lot out of her. Although she would never admit it. She needed to refuel and fast. Slowly she got back up to her feet and sighed. "Don't suppose you know a good place to eat? That tavern didn't have great food..and I guess I need to eat...again." She still wouldn't meet the others eyes.

Caster tried to get a word in edge wise, but the girl, Echo went on a brief rant, about how she was better off on her own and what help could someone like her be. The words made the teen bristle with indignation, he was more than capable of handling himself. He hadn't needed her help, SHE was the one who butted into someone else's business. He rolled his eyes at her word.

"Yeah yeah, a typical revenge story, I didn't ask for your sob story kid". He rubbed his eyes tiredly. There were dark rings underneath the mismatched hues, a sign this mage didn't sleep often, and when he did, it wasn't nearly enough. He had half a mind to fire back at the girl when suddenly she leaned to the side.
Caster couldn't help but smirk, the range of magic she'd just used must've taken quite a bit of power.
The following silence was broken by what Caster assumed was a growling stomach, and the laughter of the spirit known as Loki.
Honestly for a second he'd thought it was his own stomach, as Caster hadn't eaten in maybe a day or so.

He could go a little longer, so long as Yumi was willing to share her energy with him. It didn't make him feel fuller, but it did keep him going. The girl looked embarrassed enough, so Caster opted not to berate her more. Though he did have a smirk on his face.

"...Yumi...catch us something to eat".
The fox spirit looked up, somewhat confused by the order. "For the both of you...but master...".
Caster shook his head and glanced down at her.
"...Do as I say fox, go on".
Yumi frowned, she disliked it when Caster was so...direct. She was not his slave after all, they were partners. He was just showing off that unlike this strange girl and her spirit, the two of them were actually in sync.
"...yes sir", Yumi sighed, shot the other pair a look, before darting toward the edge of the city.

Once she was gone he looked to Echo.
"...I'll see if I can't find you something to snack on in the meantime, but know this. This is not an act of charity...you will at least...consider what i have to say, got it?".
He studied the girl and her spirit, he'd never seen a pair like them before.
Back home his teachers had been in perfect sync with their summoned familiars, it was a delicate relationship, one that he and Yumi were still perfecting.
He'd never seen one quite like this.

the mage ran a hand through his messy hair before walking toward the nearest stall, which sold a variety of dried meat. Caster did not care for cured meat, he preferred his meals fresh. Still, he bought some with the pathetic amount of gold to his name before returning to the girl. "We should make camp, we'll have to cook whatever Yumi brings back".
The mage handed the girl her food before heading in the direction his spirit had gone.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Despite everything, including her ego and pride Echo caved and accepted the meat from him. At first she just looked at it for a second, mentally battling in her mind whether it was worth it. But she needed her strength and if she knew anything, it was when she was hungry and needed food as fast as possible before she passed out.

Sighing, she took the meat and began to chew on it, glancing at Caster and humming slightly at his words. "Okay, you did this for me, I shall listen and consider what you have to say." But that never meant she had to agree with anything, she silently thought to herself. While the others words about a sob story didn't offend her, it didn't exactly change her opinion of him either.

She followed him down the path, Loki of course floating next to her and being attentive and quiet for once. It could have just been that he was bored. He got bored a lot.

Glancing to the side, she sighed as she realized she was right and the god was sleeping next to her.

"Gods..." She muttered, before glancing again at Caster. Trying to figure him out and wondering what he wanted with her and Loki anyways. She realized she finished off the meat and glanced at her empty hand before sighing once more. She hoped the Fox spirit would find lots of food. It will probably take a army of fish or rabbits to ease this appetite of hers.

It was the one annoying thing about her curse. Great power, but the hunger that came from using that energy...not to mention the reminder that her body would give up on her one day soon was...humbling. She just hoped she could destroy those....murderers in time.

Once they finally arrived though, she glanced around before starting to set up camp, barely saying a word except. "Thanks for the food." She commented, nodding her head to Caster. She glanced back at her sleeping god, who by this time was just pretend sleeping. He didn't want to be bothered by those two and frankly was just hoping that this entire thing was over and done with soon.

Caster lead the way, silently, as he tried to think of what to even say. He wasn't sure why he was so keen on getting this girl's help, perhaps he was just excited to come across another mage, even if they were...odd. Caster had thought all magic users had been purged by the calamity that had claimed the lives of those he loved, the event that destroyed his home and sent the man on the run. He was but a child then, but now, many years later, he was on the cusp of turning twenty. Back home, there would've been cause for celebration, as this was the mark of manhood. Now, he was just luck to have even made it this far.
He turned round briefly as he heard the girl speak, though she just seemed exasperated by her sleeping spirit. She kept calling it a god, and he found that strange.
Sure, he knew there were gods, several in fact, with their own factions and worshipers. But the spirits from which mages drew their powers...as far as he knew, were not gods. They were the spirits of nature, of the natural world around them, some were aid to be gifts from the gods.

Caster knew there were tails of powerful mages making contracts with deities though...but that had been several hundred years ago, and he doubted this little girl could muster such a feat. He didn't want to think about the physical price a god would ask for... He was fairly lucky, Yumi had merely altered his eye color to match her's they both had a single silver and gold orb.His other spirits had asked for more conventional things, such as blood and large portions of his spirit, but that was all fairly...normal.
The two arrived at a secluded spot, Caster stopped, he could sense Yumi was nearby, and she'd be back soon. Setting his bag down he moved to gather some sticks to make a fire.
As he did, the girl....Echo, spoke, thanking him for the food.

"Don't thank me, I only got it for you so you'd listen", he spoke without looking at her. Arranging the sticks in a pile, Caster snapped his fingers, a small spark leapt from the tips of his fingers to the twigs below, they burst into a soft, golden flame that brightened the darkness around them.
Sitting down, the older teen sighed and ran a hand through his hair.
"She'll be back soon...with something bigger to eat". Probably a deer or something, whatever the fox could find and drag back.
In the meantime, Caster studied the girl across from him, thanks to the light he had a decent look at her...and she had a decent look at him.

Dark brown, messy hair fell into the teen's eyes, in the light one could see that he had extensive scaring around both eyes, the right had two long, jagged scratches running over it and the left had one.
"...So...", the mage coughed and scratched the back of his neck. Honestly he wasn't really sure how to say this, he really hadn't been expecting the girl to well...go with him.
"...I suppose I should get straight to the point...".
He glances to the side as there's rustling, after a second Yumi comes darting through the under brush, the fox has bit of dark fur around her mouth as she runs up to her master.
"I hope you lot like bear".

Caster blinks. "...Bear...?" he sighs heavily as Yumi slips back into the trees, only to drag a large brown bear into the small campsite. Though the fox is average size she easily pulls a creature that more than twice her weight into the campsite.
She then moves to her master's side, Caster looks to Echo and gestures to the beast.
"...Take you pick".

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Echo merely raised a eyebrow at the others words not to thank him. Shrugging she sat down near the fire but when she felt eyes on her, she gazed up and glanced at him as well. Now being able to get a good look at him to see whom she was dealing with. As for herself, she didn't mind really anybody looking.

For the most part, she was on the short side. Call it a after effect of raising the dead when she was 16. Her death stunted any real growth and while at first she panicked, Loki told her this was just how it was supposed to be. There was no real true way to bring someone back from death. So this was the best he could do. A body both made of flesh and of the earth. A combination of elements, spun together to form who she was today. Still, her heart still beat and her hair grew much to her annoyance. She had short cropped black locks now. But if one really looked at the roots, bright red peeked out. It was her old life trying to encroach on her once more. Still, she held the eyes she was born with, blue with a touch of a storm. No physical marks were on her body. But most of it was covered by tan slacks and a long cream peasant shirt. Her form held no real hourglass shape and chest was pretty flat. Hence why it was easy for one to assume that she was male. Unless she spoke or someone really studied her mannerisms, it was a easy mistake.

Sitting with her hands folded in her lap, a habit she thought she had broken a long time ago she waited in silence as the other finished looking her over before her attention was drawn to the fox lugging a bear into the campsite.

Echo blinked once she saw the bear. Her eyes lit up and for once she smiled. Loki snorted a bit, lifting a eyelid and seeing Echo stand. "I Shall."

Closing her eyes, she held out her hand, two fingers pointed out and Sliced the air over and over in succession.

It was as if the air was made of glass as the bear before them was neatly sliced up in several pieces, the skin of the beast even sliding off. She picked up a few sticks and stuck pieces of meat to them and placed them against the fire to cook before turning to the others. "Feel free to take some too." She collected more pieces of the meat and had at once 12 pieces cooking over the fire.

"Feel free to continue what you were saying before." She glanced towards Caster as she waited for her food to finish cooking before digging in so to speak.

Caster watched curiously as the girl employed some kind of magic to butcher the beast, normally he didn't waste his energy on such things. Yumi didn't mind eating through the skin and hair, and given all the time he'd spent traveling, he'd learned to skin whatever the fox caught. Still, he wasn't complaining, as using magic tended to make things go faster.
Yumi watched as well, she huffed as the bear was sliced neatly, said slices were then stuck on sticks to be cooked over the fire. One didn't need to use magic to complete a task that could be completed by hand, she wondered where this girl had learned to harness her powers.
How had she made a contract with such a strange...and powerful creature. Despite his lack luster appearance Yumi could sense the power that dwelled within this spirit called Loki.
It was definitely something beyond a child.

Reaching out, Caster grabbed two of the sticks of barely cooked meat, he set one on the ground for Yumi while he tore into the other one. He often didn't eat properly, but given how much meat this bear had to offer, it seemed like a waste not to partake. He looked to Echo as she spoke, spurring him to continue what he'd been saying.

"Anyway... I believe the two of us traveling...and working together could be mutually beneficial".
He crossed his legs and took another bite, blood ran down his chin as he chewed.
"You seem to be an accomplished mage...at the very least you have a powerful...". His gaze shifted to Loki. "...if not unusual contract and spirit there".
Unusual put it nicely, then again, Caster had some strange allies on the other side, though he didn't like calling to them. The price was often not worth the trouble they caused.

Honestly Caster wanted the chance to observe this strange pair, as something just felt...off about them. But that was not a good enough reason for the pair to work together.
"You seem to be looking for someone...or...something...", the man's gaze went back to Echo. "...And while I'm doing the same, I'd wager a guess I'm having more luck".
That was the benefit of having a spirit with divining magic, Stella did ensure that he remained on the right path, which ideally would lead to the people responsible for his people's deaths.

"...The trade off is simple. Your clearly an accomplished fighter, you help keep us safe. And I in turn...help you find these mysterious figures your after". he finished off his food and tossed the stick into the fire.
"....Of you can continue on your merry way, and forget we ever met, or had this conversation". He leaned back on his hands, studying the girl... waiting for her answer.
Truth be told he wasn't the best at talking to people, Yumi chuckled at his poor proposal skills.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Echo listened intently as she ate the meat from the bear. Loki kept one eye open as well, curious to see what the boy would say. Though he was hardly surprised. The boy must really have needed help if he was going to rely on two strangers of all people to protect him.

Still....the offer was tempting. After Echo ate about 10 pieces of meat she set some more out before speaking.

"So..as I see it, the terms of this deal requires me to protect you in turn you can help me find those I seek, right?" She hummed, gazing into the fire before shifting her gaze to the two. "I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble. However once I find those murderers the deal is done." She stood up, walking a bit over to Loki. "Of course let me just ask Lord Loki to be sure."

Said Loki smirked and opened his eyes. "No worries! I was listening in anyways." He hummed and wrapped his arms around Echo, peeking his face onto her shoulder. "I think it will be fun! New people to meet and new enemies to destroy! Besides....I'll get to see more of the human world." He chuckled and released her, floating towards the fire. "I suppose its a deal for now."

Echo nodded. "Any help getting closer to those I seek I will take." Once more she sat down and began to consume the bear at a rapid rate. In between bites, she thought for a second before turning to Caster. "Just curious why you need this help anyways. You feel powerful to me." She hummed. She took another bite, eating the meat at a rapid rate. If there was one thing they would know after this is that Echo had a huge appetite. That was for sure.

Loki yawned. "Well I'll be around, I'm just going to slip off for some rest!" He waved and vanished a bit within the trees.

Caster nodded in response to Echo's words. In return for protection he would use his powers to aid her quest, so long as said quest did not impede on his own journey. He opted to keep his curiosity about the strange pair to himself, he didn't want the spirit to know that he was watching them. Caster got the feeling that Echo and Loki shared a very...unusual bond. Their interactions was enough to tip him off, but the fact Echo felt the need to ask Loki for permission was a big red flag. Summoners typically didn't ask for permission, given a spirit already implemented any conditions when the contract was forged.
These two were strange, but powerful, and Caster wanted to find out why.

He chuckled as Echo commented on his strength.

"...You are not wrong...I am...plenty powerful, though in a...different way than you". He cocked his head to the side as Yumi crawled into his lap. "...You seem to excel in you elemental control, an ability I assume you derive from Loki. I channel my power into my spirits, enhancing their abilities...".
Yumi made a soft purring sound as Caster scratched behind her ears.

"...I also hold contracts with multiple spirits". He wondered if Echo had other partners she was keeping hidden, a wise mage always kept their more potent partners hidden. Yumi was his guardian, the two were a near perfect match, and over time with proper training, their souls would eventually combine as one.
...or at least that would've happened if they'd received the proper training.

Caster was impressed with the amount of food Echo was eating, he imagined her powers took a lot of energy though, so it made sense.
Once Loki wandered off Caster spoke again. "...Tell me...what is the nature of your relationship with that spirit?".
Yumi cracked one eye open and regarded Echo with a glittering silver orb, which matched her master's perfectly.
"...You don't strike me as a normal bonded pair".
Caster continued as he took another stick of meat from the fire.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

As Echo continued to eat, she listened to the others words and found some sense in the fact that yes both her and him were different.

Swallowing she hummed at the others words. "It's true that my control over elemental magic is because of Loki." However his next question perplexed her. She tilted her head to the side and glanced at him, blue orbs meeting his own before humming.

"Hmm...My relationship?" she gave a thin smile at this, as if momentarily lost in her own thoughts. She pulled another stick of meat from the fire and looked at it intently. "I suppose....I owe Loki a debt. People often do crazy things in desperate situations. And he did save me in my worst moment. He may not be the easiest to get along with. But he's all I have now." She shrugged. "It's true were a odd pair. But we are stuck together come Hades or high water." She ate the meat on the stick and glanced at the other again.

"Besides now I'm curious about your other spirits. I don't believe I've met someone like you before and I've traveled quite a bit. It must take a lot of energy to have so many pacts with spirits." Goodness knows that dealing with one god is enough, several spirits sounds positively scary to her.

Finally after a little bit she finished off the last of the meat and yawned a bit, stretching. "Hmmm maybe we should continue this conversation for tomorrow? It is late. I think Loki had the right idea." She pulled out her blanket and started to make a bed on the ground.

Caster blinked in surprise, he never would've guessed that this girl had made a last ditch contract with Loki. He'd heard of desperate people, average and magically inclined, reaching out to spirits in their darkest hours. The resulting contracts were often incredibly one sided, and almost never boded well for the mortal making them. He kept these thoughts to himself however, and was more than happy to change the subject when she mentioned his spirits.

"It can be taxing, but the versatility is well worth the effort", he chuckled softly as he continued to scratch Yumi behind the ears. "You will be meeting more of them as time goes on I'm sure, in fact one of them will be aiding me in tracking down whomever it is you seek". He wanted to ask more about that, the more information he had, the better Stella's divination would be.

However, that would have to wait, Echo was right, they could both use some rest. With their meal completed and a new day ahead of them, Caster knew getting some sleep was the best option at the moment. As if on cue Kayumi stood and crawled out of her master's lap as he stood and stretched.

"Yumi will keep watch", he spoke as the fox slinked off into the bushes. There was no one else he trusted to do it more. Looking around, Caster spotted a large tree with low hanging branches, he approached it with a thoughtful gaze.
The mage jumped up and just barely managed to grab the lowest of the branches, from there he was able to climb up with a surprising amount of agility.

Though he didn't have powers as fantastic as Echo's he did derive some of his partner's traits. He was capable of acrobatic feats thanks to Yumi's natural grace and speed. Stella lent him a knack for seeing the bigger picture, and if he focused enough, he himself could see glimpses of the future.

Once he found a branch he was sure would hold him, Caster settled in, with his back against the trunk.
"Until tomorrow then", the mage spoke with a yawn before his eyes slipped closed.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Echo nodded to the other and whispered her good nights as well as he closed his eyes. She lied down herself, staring up at the woods that canopy them and found that sleep as usual didn't come quite as easily as it used to. But slowly she closed her eyes and fell into a deep dreamless sleep. The way she liked it.

Some nights the nightmares came upon her with a vengeance but thankfully tonight was just a dreamless sleep. She was up early as well, after all she didn't need as much sleep as normal humans did. Which made it perfect for tracking down those bandits. When she opened her eyes and briefly saw the sky fading from blues and blacks to oranges and then slowly fading into blue she sat up. Stretching, she yawned and got to her feet. She quickly began to pack up, getting her supplies ready and suddenly Loki was behind her.

"Why good morning dear Echo." He hummed and Echo's heart briefly jumped before she turned back to the god, letting out the breath she was holding.

"Loki please don't do that. You scared me." Echo said softly and the other snorted.

"Could have fooled me. You barely moved a inch." He pat her head. "You were so much more fun when we first started this adventure. You scared much more easily." chuckling he floated off while Echo rolled her eyes.

"Seems to me you enjoy scaring the living daylights out of me."

Loki's red eyes glinted mischievously. "Maybe....ah good morning all!" Loki turned to Caster and the fox, waving a bit in midair.

Loki turned to them as well. "Good morning." She said in her usual stoic voice. "We should probably get ready as soon as possible to head out. We can talk on the way. I'm sure you have questions."

The night was not so peaceful for Caster, nightmares were a common occurrence for the mage. More often the not they were of his own past, but sometimes it was glimpses of the lives of others, typically ending in horribly brutal fashion. It was apart of his contract with Stella, sometimes the spirit's ability to tap into the powers of Fate and harness it's powers meant sometimes he had visions he didn't want.
It wasn't Stella's fault, it was just one of the prices he paid for accessing her power. He knew she felt bad about it though, usually she tried to keep the visions at bay but given Caster was planning on calling on her power soon, they were kicking into overdrive. He always slept in a tree so if he rolled around and fell off, the impact of hitting the ground would wake him.
As the night went by the mage began to toss and turn in his sleep, as the early morning rolled in he cracked an eye open, yawning.

It seemed he hadn't fallen, so that was something. Sitting up slowly he rubbed his eyes tiredly, chasing away the last vision he'd seen, which had been of a family which ran afoul bandits. He shuddered thinking of the poor mother and daughter and the suffering they'd endured. Lost in his own thoughts he didn't notice Echo was awake until Loki's voice snapped him back to reality.
"Huh? ...Oh...good morning...", he yawned again as he hopped down and out of the tree.
Echo wanted to get moving, it wasn't wise to linger in the same spots for long.
Caster agreed, he nodded in agreement as he grabbed his bag off the ground.

"Yumi will be back sho-" "Now, she'll be back now", Caster was cut off as the fox walked in, the grass parted in her wake as she moved to the mage's side. She gave both Echo and Loki a brief look before sitting beside Caster.
it didn't look like he'd slept well, the circles under his eyes looked just a bit darker. She worried about him calling on another spirit in this condition...
It meant he'd probably have to dismiss her while he summoned Stella, and the fox hated that. She was his guardian spirit, she couldn't guard him if she wasn't present.

With all his things in place Caster turned and lead the way out of the clearing, though he had no idea where they were going.

"I suppose now is a good as time as any to ask who am I helping you find", he spoke as he looked to Echo.
"I need a target in mind...a name, a description...or even the color of their hair...". He yawned again. "More information you can give me about them the easier we can find them".

Yumi's ears flattened against her head, the less information he had, the more energy it would take for Stella to find them, and that meant a greater toll on Caster. She hoped this girl was worth all this trouble, it was clear she was strong, but there was something about her spirit that rubbed the fox the wrong way.

MysticWitch MysticWitch

Echo stopped walking and turned to him, noticing he looked like death warmed over. She sighed a bit and looked him in the eyes, her own blue showing how much she needed this information.

"The...group I'm looking for are a bunch of bandits that raid towns, destroying lives and toppling temples. They are a particular group known as the God Slayers." She crossed her arms across her chest. "Most of them wear a specific type of armor that is hard to destroy. Basically they head towards towns that have religious temples and churches and destroy whatever is there. No man, woman or child is safe from them. From my time traveling I haven't been able to learn any names, except for two. One bandit is named Sterling, he's a few years older than me but besides that I don't know much else. The others name is Devon. I believe he is the leader of this group." She formed a hand into a fist and took a step closer to him. "Just find them for me. I can handle the rest on my own. The only other thing I know is the symbol on their "Flag" of sorts. A crescent moon cradling a star." She turned away. "That's all I know."

For a moment she almost seemed lost in her mind as she replayed that day. She could never forget that flag she saw as she lay dying.

A sword had impaled her from behind and she turned slowly to meet one blue eye, and one black. A gasp left her lips as she tumbled down to the ground as blood pooled out of her wound and she began to feel her body shutting down.

'Do you want to live?' a voice whispered in her mind.

'Do you want revenge?'

'Yes'

Snapped from her thoughts, Echo turned back to Caster. "One other thing I just thought of. I don't know if this would help at all but one had one Blue eye and one black." She shrugged, twirling her hair a bit with her finger.

Loki for once remained silent, staring intently at Echo as she had her flashback. He floated there, humming a bit and then wrapping around her as if to comfort her, but instead he grinned mischievously and pulled a strand of hair from her head, causing her to yelp and she turned to him with a slightly murderous gaze, which he smirked at. Her anger cooled though and she shook her head, sighing at her companion.

Despite his tiredness Caster listened intently to Echo. The more she could give him, the easier this would be. However, when she mentioned the group she was looking for, the mage paled.
"The God Eaters...seriously...?", he blinked and then sighed.
You would have to be blind deaf and dumb not to know of them, they were a notorious group of bandits who left slaughtered towns in their wake wherever they went. It was also known they attacked towns with religious temples and the like.
His monastery had received threats from them, but nothing had ever come of it.

"That's quite the target", he spoke after a moment. He figured he could guess why Echo was after them, she probably wanted revenge. Though, if she was caught in a raid those monsters put on...Caster couldn't help but wonder how she'd survived. His gaze flickered to Loki as the spirit pulled one of her hairs out, clearly he enjoyed setting his partner on edge.
Perhaps the loss of everything she knew was what drove her to make a contract with such a strange spirit.

The two were a powerful combination, but Caster doubted that they could take that group alone. Still, it wasn't his concern, as long as she helped protect him, he could focus on his own goals. And when the time came, they would split up, Caster had no desire to get himself caught in a battle he couldn't win.

the information Echo had given would be more than enough for him to get a location, especially given the personal details. "So...its the fellow with the mismatched eyes you want huh?"
He scratched at his chin, he couldn't help but be self conscious about his own mismatched orbs.
"That should be simple enough, though I cannot guarantee anything...it all depends on her really... Speaking of which...".

The mage stopped and looked up toward the sky, the sun was slowly creeping up the horizon, twisting the sky with pink and orange hues.
"Are you sending me back Caster?" Yumi spoke up, there was a hint of worry in her voice. aster just shook his head. 'No, I should manage with the both of you out".
As he spoke, he brought his right thumb up to his mouth and bit it, hard enough to blood ran down his hand.
Glancing to Echo, he spoke.
"Take a step back please".

Kneeling down, he placed his bloody hand to the ground, and muttered some ancient words of a long dead language, as he spoke the blood from his hand fanned out and formed a intricate summon circle. Small sparks of flame flickered to life as Caster stood upright, still reciting the mystical language.
Yumi stepped closer to her master as the mage wavered, summoning a new spirit when one already had an active partner was a tiring affair.
As Caster stopped a golden light poured out of the circle, a shrill cry filled the air as a golden blurr shot from the ground and into the air.

"Weeeeeeee!" The golden bird did a flip in the air as she stretched her wings, her long elegant tails waved behind her like streamers.
Caster couldn't help but smile at the sight, Stella was always so happy when she got a chance to stretch her wings.

"...Echo, this, is Stella", he addressed the girl as he held out his arm for Stella to land on, which the bird did happily. It nuzzled Caster's cheek excitedly.
"Oh it's been so long master! I was starting to think you'd never call me again!" Stella song like voice chimed in the air around them.

phoenix12.jpg

Echo took a step back when she was told to and couldn't help but be a little relieved the other had heard about the God Slayers. True, they were a pretty well known group, but with so many different bandits out and about lately it was hard to keep track sometimes of which were still causing mischief and which were already defeated by one thing or another.

Still she couldn't help but be a bit impressed at the emergence of Stella and blinked a bit as the large golden bird seemed to fly so gracefully around.

Loki just admired the view and smirked. "Well well well...what have we here?" He hummed and curiously inched closer.

"Ah hello, it's nice to meet you Stella." Echo managed a small smile at the beautiful creature and a small bow but then she glanced back over to Caster with a curious look on her face.

"Yes, its a pleasure Stella." Loki bowed in midair and grinned, his red eyes gleaming with curiosity and mischief.

"So, Stella will be helping us find them?" Echo asked, glancing at Stella once more with a confused expression. She did wonder how Stella would help them find the group she had been tracking for several years now. But this was all she had now. Somehow she would have to give Caster a little bit of trust. It was hard for her to trust, considering everything. But for now she would give him her trust not to betray her. She only hoped this would all work out somehow.

She was getting tired of all of this.

"Stella has the ability to divine the answers to any question she is asked", Caster spoke as he rubbed his eyes. Summoning and maintaining two spirits was far more taxing than one, but once Stella had left he would be fine.
The bird in question looked over the two strangers with curious eyes, she chirped happily as they replied to her greeting.
"Your a strange pair, don't you think master?", she spoke, looking to Caster, who just sighed.
"Stella, do you have enough info to track down the gang?", Yumi piped up, drawing the bird's attention to the ground.

"Kayumi, my my its been a while my little furry friend", Stella chuckled as the fox bristled, it seemed the two of them didn't get along particularly well.
"And to answer your question...yes, though I cannot help but wonder what a sweet little girl and my master could want with them".
She looked back to Echo, extending her wings she took to the air and landed once more on Echo's shoulder.
"Why do you want to find these men...? Why would a summoner seek out people who would attack them?".
Caster was wondering that himself, though he could take a wild guess. Odds were Echo had lost a great deal to these men and now she was after revenge.
Still, that didn't really matter at the moment.

"Her reasons don't matter Stella, now please, get to it".
The bird puffed up a little, "You cannot rush perfection!"
"we're not rushing perfection, we're rushing you", Yumi chimed in with a smirk. Stella sighed and looked to Echo. "Alright, alright, I'll find your targets, the man with the weird eyes, he should be simple enough...".
She beamed at the girl before taking to the air once again.
"I'll lead the way then!" She cheered for all to hear as her body began to glow, a soft, warm light poured out of the bird. Flames flickered to life and in a flashed, the bird was gone, her body burned to ash.

For a second the ash fluttered through the air, but the a breeze caught it, and it was blown away. Caster watched the affair with a blank expression, as the ash was blown away he began to follow.
"Come, she has a lead".

Echo was semi relieved that Caster answered the birds question when she landed upon Echo's shoulder. She barely bat a eye to the creature, after all Loki had long since shattered her idea of personal space years ago.

Loki was smirking and floating just watching the interactions with a chuckle. He had to admit that bird was a hoot and when they finally started to move, he trailed behind just enjoying the show.

Echo couldn't help but feel a little more relaxed though. Finally they were going to find what she had been looking for forever. In fact as they continued to walk she even gave a small smile which was rare for her.

Together the group moved down a pathway towards a clearing through the forest. However it seemed as if their target would still be further away and as the day passed, Echo didn't say much. Instead saving her strength to when they met up with the group. It was later on that night when she was sitting by the fire that she glanced up a bit and looked at Caster. "Are you alright? You seem very tired after calling upon Stella? Does it use up that much energy?"

She finished off eating the leg of a large animal they had caught and reached for more pieces of meat. Loki's snoring made her glance up at the god, asleep in midair and rolling her eyes wondering if gods actually did need sleep at all.

With Stella leading their way, the group spent the day traveling, moving toward their ever moving target. Only those imbued with magic could see the glowing ashes that danced on the breeze above them, they twinkled in the light like glass as the phoenix spirit's path shifted slightly here and there to remain on course.
Caster didn't know for certain how far they'd have to go, typically he used this power on stationary targets. His seemingly frivolous travel was about more than survival, he was searching for the lost magical secrets that had been stolen from his temple before it was destroyed. Hundreds of years of magic traditions, recorded on ancient scrolls and etched in seemingly mundane pottery, all disappeared during the attack that had left everyone Caster had known dead.
With no one but his spirit guardian at his side, the young boy set out, on a quest for revenge, that slowly, with time, evolved.
Caster had let go of such violent feelings long ago, as they served little purpose. Killing the man who had ordered his loved one's deaths wouldn't bring them back, he now felt the best way to honor their memories was to retrieve the knowledge they'd died trying to protect.

It was all he could do now...that and stay alive, thus preserving all he was taught. Perhaps someday he'd pass on his teachings, though he'd have to find someone with a soul strong enough to contract the denizens of the spirit world.
That was part of the reason he was so interested in Echo, and why he'd been willing to trust her. She possessed a great deal of power and with proper training...and a proper spirit guide, Caster felt the girl could achieve great things.

These thoughts swirled at the back of his mind as they walked, but as the day turned to night, they had to stop. Due to the fact Caster hadn't shifted all his energy to Stella, the bird could only travel during the day, when she had the sun's rays to fuel her. As the sky darkened they found a place to make camp for the night.
Lost in thought at the side of the fire Caster jumped a little as Echo addressed him.
He blinked, as his tired brain shifted through what she'd said.

"...Summoning and maintaining two spirits is...difficult, and it does take a great deal of energy...but it's nothing new for me". He yawned heavily.
"It would be easier if I dismiss Yumi but...". The fox in question was curled up in his lap. "I prefer having her here, so I will just have to deal".
His gaze flickered to Loki, who snored above them.
"You don't seem to tire, despite the fact you have a powerful spirit bound to you". He looked back to Echo.
"...I take it you've never had any training to hone your magic?".

Echo blinked at the others question and tilted her head to side a bit. She hummed and glanced back once more to Loki. "I suppose, I am more or less self taught. Didn't have much time to really think of things." She shrugged with a small smirk.

"As for me tiring.." She thought about it and shrugged. "I'm not sure but I suppose its because Loki really supplies me with all his power and energy most of the time. He rarely tires himself." She yawned a bit. "I mean I still do get tired. But it takes a lot to wear me out. Although if I don't have enough food I will get tired more rapidly." She pointed a finger. "Ah that's probably it. The food keeps me from collapsing most of the time. After all it does take a lot of energy to use my powers." She nodded and took another bite of meat.

She paused a bit, as if hesitant to talk anymore, after all this man before her was a stranger. And while he seemed rather harmless to her, she still was cautious. Her blue eyes hesitantly scanned the other as if wondering what he was thinking, before turning her gaze back to the fire.

"I still don't understand why you need a body guard, you seem pretty strong enough unless you have some really bad guys after you." She smirked a bit. "After all your relying on me of all people." Chuckling she started to stand up, stretching.

"Food huh...I suppose that makes sense", Caster replied as Echo explained her powers. For Loki's energy to take such a toll on her, it was clear she'd never had any sort of training. That sort of relationship could end with the caster dead, but something told the man Echo knew that. He opted not to lecture the girl on the dangers of her abilities, there was little point in that. Besides, he wanted to observe her powers more, and she was a potent fighter. Having her around meant Caster could focus on his studies, and wouldn't have to worry as much if confronted by a gang of thugs.
Though if King Linus's men tracked them down...then he couldn't be so idle.
Yumi cracked an eye open as she felt the girl watching them, standing the fox stretched out her long, slender limbs and bushy tail.
"We are plenty strong, your right to notice", she spoke as she nestled back into Caster's lap.

Reflexively the mage began petting his companion while shaking his head.
"Perhaps we are, but strength does not always translate to combat effectiveness".
Yumi rolled her eyes at that. Caster could handle himself in a fight, he had to, but she knew he disliked confrontation. He preferred to worm his way out of conflict by any means necessary, but when push came to shove they did have their ace in the hole.
But Caster never called upon that spirit, as doing so nearly drained him entirely. It was a last resort, used only when they had everything to lose.
Yumi understood why Caster sought this child's hep, but that didn't mean she had to like it.

As Echo continued, Caster's expression grew dark.
"...There are dangerous people after us. I certainly didn't ask you to come for the company", his voice remained neutral, but there was a bit of an edge to it.
His gaze followed her as she stood up.
"Your a powerful caster, that is why I asked you to accompany me, though I didn't expect you'd be leading us to even more dangerous foes...".
He sighed.
"Though a bunch of bandits do sound less...overwhelming than an entire royal army...".

Caster and Yumi had been run out of their home country after the newly crowned ruler, King Linus, declared war on all practitioners of magic. Entire villages were slaughter in the pursuit of casters and the spirits they controlled. It wasn't long before Caster's monostary, where he'd lived since he was a child, was torched and everyone in it was killed.
He'd barely escaped with his life, and now he lived under the constant fear of not knowing when his enemies might come for him.
He knew that the kings men had been looking for something in the temple...something his master had entrusted him to take far, far away.
Caster had to keep it safe...no matter what, so he wandered from place to place, overtime he began collecting magical relics and traditions in order to keep himself sane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back