Magical Girl RP

October

Official TØP Trash
Hey guys! I've had an idea for a magical girl story for quite a while but I feel like it needs more fleshing out.

So far I have...

• Each magical girl is a human embodiment of one of the twelve Western zodiac signs (Aries,Taurus, etc.), and reincarnations of the spirits of the constellations of the same name that were put into the sky (in most stories) by Zeus
  • The girls have no knowledge of their past lives, and up until their activation, have led normal lives
  • They have powers that fit their personality type, but also some that go along with their respective element of their sign (fire, water, air, earth)
  • They are activated on their sixteenth birthday
  • They form teams (I've gotten into the habit of calling them "star clusters") that include one girl of each element, for a total of four girls each cluster, and three clusters total
  • They have certain roles within their clusters (fire= the leader, water= the adapter, air= the thinker, earth= the substance)
  • Their mascot/guide takes the form of a small dog that is the embodiment of the constellation Canis Minor, who abandoned his master, the hunter Orion, to help the spirits of the zodiac return to Earth so that they could defeat the big bad. He will have the power to sense when a zodiac girl has been activated and communicate with them telepathically, among other capabilities.
  • So far the big bad will be the evil Queen Cassiopeia (who embodies the constellation Cassiopeia) who has recently made her way back to Earth and wants revenge for being banished to the stars. She will be aided by the hunter, Orion, his hunting dog, Canis Major, as well as many other potential henchmen or minor villains.
  • Another plot point I've considered is having one or two of the zodiac girls (possibly ones who were banished to the stars rather than put there as an honor) join the side of Cassiopeia. Edit: I will allow at most, four girls to turn to the dark side (making enough to form a dark cluster).
  • Edit: I’m going to limit everyone (including myself) to only have control of (at most) one leader of a star-cluster, one character per cluster, and one character per element. That means that (at most) you will have control of three magical girls, all of different elements, and only one may be a group leader (which shouldn’t be an issue if you follow the element rule, as all leaders are fire). This is to keep things fair and to not give anyone too much power over a cluster or elemental group. The only exception to this rule is the character of Gemini—who is an air element that may be represented by twins if the RPer who plays her so chooses.
  • The roleplay wouldn't require much knowledge of astronomy lore (I would have control of Canis Minor, who would deliver most of the information about their past lives to the girls), but it would require RPers to do a good amount of research on their zodiac sign's personality before creating a CS, as they should fit their role to a T (after all, they literally are their sign)
  • I would really encourage diversity in this RP! The girls will be from various parts of the world and from many different cultures and backgrounds. Fate (and the stars lol) will have brought them all together at one location (I'm currently considering a small town in the state of Virginia) to gather and form their clusters.
  • So far, with the girls I'm developing, I have; a bubbly South African girl who might be a lesbian but I haven't decided yet, a shy transgirl who is half Mexican half Caucasian and identifies as pansexual, and a girl from the Middle East (haven't decided exactly where yet) who chooses to wear the hijab, but still manages to embrace mainstream fashion. These would all be characters that I will most likely play, and I would leave everything (minus the personality) up to the RPers when designing their own characters!
  • If people were interested, I would also allow them to play villains or civilians!
  • Edit:Some minor villains will be NPC's.
  • Edit: All magical girls will be born in the same year, time skips will be used in-between each activation at the beginning to avoid too much filler.
  • Edit: This roleplay will be Detailed.
  • Edit: I'm going to be in need of a GM or two to assist me! If you're interested, please let me know!
  • I'm also not 100% sold on just having Canis Minor as a guide for the girls. If there are three clusters and twelve girls total, one mentor may not be enough to ensure that they all understand their purpose and powers. (However, this lack of nurturing may even add more reason for some girls to betray the rest of the zodiac)

So if you have any advice/suggestions/feedback, please let me know! I'm desperate to get this RP off the ground before I go back to school, but I also don't want it to flop because of lack of time and thought put into it. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! (<3)

Also, I knowwww this is veryyyy Sailor Moon-esque, and I will admit that it was a great inspiration to me, but I really would like to try to make this RP very exciting and unique for anyone willing to participate in it (without giving up the novelty of a magical girl story, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first clicked on this, I thought it was more along the lines of Magical Madoka kinda stuff but this is cool too. I'm guessing you would guide the RPers along the plot because I have no idea what the bad guy would do. Maybe you can have multiple tabs, one each assigned to one cluster? And then the main IC tab. Might get too complicated, so idk. How many characters will you play? I have no problem doing more extensive research into my Zodiac's personality. I already did that today... or yesterday (cuz it's like 2 in the morning) cuz I was doing a CS for an elemental. As for the birthdays, why not make them all born on the same year? If it's stuff like Aries, Taurus and Gemini, then it all spans out in one year. For the time skips? Maybe it can go something like...

January

This girl activated her powers.

February

This girl experiments with her powers.

That girl activates her powers.

One post per month until they all turn 16? I'm kind of against the idea of one or two of the girls going with the bad guy, but that's really up to you. I wouldn't mind playing one of those characters if you decide to do it though.

And is there a chance that you've watched a show called Leverage?

DreamBeat said:
When I first clicked on this, I thought it was more along the lines of Magical Madoka kinda stuff but this is cool too. I'm guessing you would guide the RPers along the plot because I have no idea what the bad guy would do. Maybe you can have multiple tabs, one each assigned to one cluster? And then the main IC tab. Might get too complicated, so idk. How many characters will you play? I have no problem doing more extensive research into my Zodiac's personality. I already did that today... or yesterday (cuz it's like 2 in the morning) cuz I was doing a CS for an elemental. As for the birthdays, why not make them all born on the same year? If it's stuff like Aries, Taurus and Gemini, then it all spans out in one year. For the time skips? Maybe it can go something like...
January

This girl activated her powers.

February

This girl experiments with her powers.

That girl activates her powers.

One post per month until they all turn 16? I'm kind of against the idea of one or two of the girls going with the bad guy, but that's really up to you. I wouldn't mind playing one of those characters if you decide to do it though.

And is there a chance that you've watched a show called Leverage?
I really considered having more of a Madoka Magica kind of theme, but I didn't want to make it too dark. If anything, the girls might be at risk of dying and being replaced by a new reincarnation of their spirit.

I would definitely have a lot more detail in the actual RP! One of the main things I'm trying to figure out is how I want the villains to be. I'd also use Canis Minor as a tool to guide the plot (giving the girls various tasks, information, etc.).

And the tab idea is a good one! I'll definitely consider that. If the girls start out separated and just with their clusters at first, it may help to avoid confusion with who is where/what is happening/etc.

I'm not sure yet how many I want to play. Originally, I was planning on just having control of one girl per cluster. But then I realized I would need to be the one to control Canis Minor, and there's also the villains to worry about...... so I may end up dropping a girl or two.

Yeahhh I'm really leaning towards the "born in the same year" thing as of now, and that's really the kind of thing I was thinking of doing for the time skips!

I'm still on the fence about some of the girls joining the bad guy's side. I might just leave that open for any players that are interested and leave it at that.

Also, I have never seen the show Leverage :P

October said:
I really considered having more of a Madoka Magica kind of theme, but I didn't want to make it too dark. If anything, the girls might be at risk of dying and being replaced by a new reincarnation of their spirit.
I would definitely have a lot more detail in the actual RP! One of the main things I'm trying to figure out is how I want the villains to be. I'd also use Canis Minor as a tool to guide the plot (giving the girls various tasks, information, etc.).

And the tab idea is a good one! I'll definitely consider that. If the girls start out separated and just with their clusters at first, it may help to avoid confusion with who is where/what is happening/etc.

I'm not sure yet how many I want to play. Originally, I was planning on just having control of one girl per cluster. But then I realized I would need to be the one to control Canis Minor, and there's also the villains to worry about...... so I may end up dropping a girl or two.

Yeahhh I'm really leaning towards the "born in the same year" thing as of now, and that's really the kind of thing I was thinking of doing for the time skips!

I'm still on the fence about some of the girls joining the bad guy's side. I might just leave that open for any players that are interested and leave it at that.

Also, I have never seen the show Leverage :P
Haha~ Yeah. It was a bit dark... Didn't know that till after I started watching it. Should've read the synopsis *sigh* They can die?! I mean...

*nods* May I suggest having some people to help you in your quest to give out quests and stuff? Maybe they can each be assigned a group? Communication through PMs? Just a thought.

Maybe you can put a two character cap on character sign ups? What kind of RP would this be? Casual? Detailed? Because it doesn't seem quite that Simple.

Time skips are awesome like that. If you were going to do the multiple tabs for different groups, would you do time skips in all of those? Or would you do it in the main IC?

I think they might need more of reason than being banished in their past life. Maybe their current life sucks too *shrugs* Anyway, might want to put a cap on how many girls join "the dark side"

And ok~ Just wondering.

Running an RP is so complicated. I feel like writing this all down 0.0

DreamBeat said:
Haha~ Yeah. It was a bit dark... Didn't know that till after I started watching it. Should've read the synopsis *sigh* They can die?! I mean...
*nods* May I suggest having some people to help you in your quest to give out quests and stuff? Maybe they can each be assigned a group? Communication through PMs? Just a thought.

Maybe you can put a two character cap on character sign ups? What kind of RP would this be? Casual? Detailed? Because it doesn't seem quite that Simple.

Time skips are awesome like that. If you were going to do the multiple tabs for different groups, would you do time skips in all of those? Or would you do it in the main IC?

I think they might need more of reason than being banished in their past life. Maybe their current life sucks too *shrugs* Anyway, might want to put a cap on how many girls join "the dark side"

And ok~ Just wondering.

Running an RP is so complicated. I feel like writing this all down 0.0
Yeahhh I'm probably going to end up having to have another GM or two help me out so that I don't end up overloading myself.

And I'm definitely going to have to put a cap on character sign up. I was originally planning on saying that each character is only allowed one character per cluster, one per element, and only one of them can be a leader, so as not to give one person too much power. That would total out to (at most) three magical girls per person, but there's also villains and civilians to take into consideration... I really wouldn't mind people playing as many civilians as they want, but villains might be a different story. Some of the minor tiers might just be NPC's.

It definitely won't be Simple! I'm more comfortable with a Casual/Moderately Detailed RP. I'd likely except a few paragraphs per post and a detailed CS.

I think if I end up doing the cluster tabs, I might just keep the activation posts in the main IC tab. Their activation would kind of be like the prologue to the story. Sure, they might fight some minor baddies for the first time, but their clusters won't be established yet, so I don't think it would really belong in those tabs.

That's a good point. I really think I just might leave it open, so if they have their reasons, they have their reasons. Maybe a limit of four for the dark side? Enough to form a new, dark cluster, perhaps? (>u>)

October said:
Yeahhh I'm probably going to end up having to have another GM or two help me out so that I don't end up overloading myself.
And I'm definitely going to have to put a cap on character sign up. I was originally planning on saying that each character is only allowed one character per cluster, one per element, and only one of them can be a leader, so as not to give one person too much power. That would total out to (at most) three magical girls per person, but there's also villains and civilians to take into consideration... I really wouldn't mind people playing as many civilians as they want, but villains might be a different story. Some of the minor tiers might just be NPC's.

It definitely won't be Simple! I'm more comfortable with a Casual/Moderately Detailed RP. I'd likely except a few paragraphs per post and a detailed CS.

I think if I end up doing the cluster tabs, I might just keep the activation posts in the main IC tab. Their activation would kind of be like the prologue to the story. Sure, they might fight some minor baddies for the first time, but their clusters won't be established yet, so I don't think it would really belong in those tabs.

That's a good point. I really think I just might leave it open, so if they have their reasons, they have their reasons. Maybe a limit of four for the dark side? Enough to form a new, dark cluster, perhaps? (>u>)
Yes... that's tricky. Maybe some people might want to sign up for both villain and girl. Because the villains won't come until later in the story right? I was thinking each character had their own villain, but that can be a little much.

If you want a detailed CS, it might be better if you labeled this RP as Detailed.

Ok, cool~

Lol~ Yes, yes. That's actually not a bad idea *giggles evilly* I would also encourage PM chats between groups. This is starting to sound like a big project because of its clusters haha~

DreamBeat said:
Yes... that's tricky. Maybe some people might want to sign up for both villain and girl. Because the villains won't come until later in the story right? I was thinking each character had their own villain, but that can be a little much.
If you want a detailed CS, it might be better if you labeled this RP as Detailed.

Ok, cool~

Lol~ Yes, yes. That's actually not a bad idea *giggles evilly* I would also encourage PM chats between groups. This is starting to sound like a big project because of its clusters haha~
Lol it's honestly starting to sound like a Hosted Project, but I have no intention at this point in time in making it one haha

But some minor villains might be introduced at the beginning to give newly activated girls something to practice with, but Queen Cassiopeia and Orion won't be introduced until later. I'm thinking I'm going to have Canis Minor withhold some of the information for a little while to allow the girls to get acclimated with their new roles as magical girls. I also might figure out some kind of tier system that lets everyone know how difficult an adversary is to keep things interesting and so that not every early battle is easy or is done with in one scene.

Detailed would probably be for the best.

I think I'm going to go ahead and add a few things we've discussed to my list of "what I have so far" in case more people become interested ( :) )

October said:
Lol it's honestly starting to sound like a Hosted Project, but I have no intention at this point in time in making it one haha
But some minor villains might be introduced at the beginning to give newly activated girls something to practice with, but Queen Cassiopeia and Orion won't be introduced until later. I'm thinking I'm going to have Canis Minor withhold some of the information for a little while to allow the girls to get acclimated with their new roles as magical girls. I also might figure out some kind of tier system that lets everyone know how difficult an adversary is to keep things interesting and so that not every early battle is easy or is done with in one scene.

Detailed would probably be for the best.

I think I'm going to go ahead and add a few things we've discussed to my list of "what I have so far" in case more people become interested ( :) )
Cool ^.^ I hope this goes well for you

DreamBeat said:
Cool ^.^ I hope this goes well for you
Thank you! You've really been a lot of help (^U^)

Character sheet will look something like this...

?Character Name Goes Here?

• tumblr_muz1jgF6p41r7c13zo1_250.gif

Name: *

Nickname(s): -

Sexuality: *

Race/Ethnicity: *

Place of Birth: *

DOB: *

Zodiac Sign: *

Sailor Moon lol~~ What does it mean when it says general history? The past life?? You probably already know this, but you might want to post your CS for others to look at yours as an example. Do you plan on posting an interest check any time soon? And that is LOT to fill out, but I guess it's necessary. I don't think people would be able to finish this before school starts unless they really rush. Actually, when does school start for you? Mine starts in 8 days.

And I might be interested in a GM position if you would accept me as one.

@DreamBeat

Oooh I just mean like their childhood and whatnot by the general history. I wouldn't expect anyone to fill out anything concerning their past life. Lol but yeahhh I'll definitely have at least one of my CS's up when I get the thread started, but I have yet to finish any of them (x_x) I know it's a lot, but I honestly really like to have a long CS because it really helps people to better understand their characters. Also, an interest check should be up within the next couple of days! And I actually go back to school on the same date! I really would be fine though just having the thread up and a few people working on characters by then, we really wouldn't have to start so soon.

If you're still interested in the GM position once I get the thread up, you would definitely be welcome as one! (^U^)

Ahh~~ Then what is their present life mean?? And wow, you must have some CSs. I'm starting to think that you might need a whole page for neutrals. And I agree with the long CS. It's a pain in the butt, yeah, but it gets people thinking about their characters. Lol~ I wonder which other districts start on the same day as my school?

Cool~ I won't know what to do at first though, but I would love to help you with this project of yours ^.^

@DreamBeat

Ohhh I kind of just meant what's going on in their lives right before they're activated for present life. I really wouldn't expect but a sentence or two. And a neutral page would probably be a good idea.

Lol but I'd definitely guide you along! I honestly really appreciate all the help you've given so far! ( :) )

Curious. Many nationalities have varying over lapping Symbols for Dates.

There are years, there are months, their are periodic dates.

Did you take other cultures into perspective? AS in, did you learn what other Symbols overlap?

And do annual Entities have bearing in your story?

where are your limits?

ArcaneUnit said:
Curious. Many nationalities have varying over lapping Symbols for Dates.
There are years, there are months, their are periodic dates.

Did you take other cultures into perspective? AS in, did you learn what other Symbols overlap?

And do annual Entities have bearing in your story?

where are your limits?
Hi. October hasn't been active since August. I'm not exactly understanding what your questions are asking. Could you clarify that for me please?

Either that or you can take a look at the character sign up tab, maybe even look at the RP thread in general to see if that answers any of your questions.

Oh, and welcome to RP Nation ^.^

I mean, American, Greek, Middle Eastern, India, and Chinese cultures all have "zodiacs" for the months. Some in addition have Symbols for intervals in years.

did you find out a way to make all the cultures relevant without conflict? and did you also intend to introduce Yearly Powers?

If you're asking if she's specified what kind of zodiac it was, then I guess yes. Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, etc.

As for the symbols for intervals in the years, I have no idea what that is. I didn't know that these cultures would conflict with each other in some way. And I do not know what Yearly Powers are. Sorry if I'm so useless at answering your questions. Maybe October can answer them if she comes back.

If there's any chance of answering your questions, I guess the basics are in the link to the RP I put in my previous post.

:) ur not useless. The answer was simply NO. and u gave me a no. so you answered the questions. All of them, in perfectly comprehendible manners.

my point is though, every culture has symbols for the months and they are all different. Ai was curious if you unified them by doing a little research to make sure that plot development would not become one of those, "Oh I wish I had.." moments.

thanks for answering.

I was born in the Year of the Horse**, as apposed to dog, dragon, tiger, serpent, goat, rat, ram, hair and what have you..

Ah, I see. Glad I could answer your questions then. That would have required quite of lot of research. The thing is, she didn't know what kind of characters from what cultures would appear in the character sign ups.

I was born in the Year of the Tiger.

oh my goodnesss.. you're not the OP!! I had mistaken you for the person I wanted to talk to. well it was fun while it lasted, even If I was living a lie. Now... I don not see how that is a lot of research.. I swear it is only 5 separate google searches. Chinese zodiacs. Indian zodiacs. Greek Zodiacs. American Zodiacs. and maybe African zodiacs. LOL

I don't know what the OP is. I am co-GM, but if you wanted to talk to October, since she's the GM, she hasn't been active for a while, like I said before. For me, I'm not all that interested in researching Zodiacs because they are confusing. Too many meanings. Well, bye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back