• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Magical Crimes Unit [Closed Group]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Endellion glanced up and gave a grin, holding her glass up in greeting. "Christopher! Fancy meeting you here...well, given that this is the nearest bar to the station, maybe not, but still!" She gave another tip of her glass to the detective, "Good to see your mug around these parts. I have no qualms about you joining!"

"Sir." Ciel nodded at the detective. "Is it honestly wrong?" She took another swig of her bottle and signaled the bartender for a second one. After all, she'd be done with this one quite quickly.

"Thank you," he said with a smile and a nod as he took his seat. "Just a coke, thanks." He pulled out cash to give the bartender before turning his attention fully to his colleagues. "If you look at it one way, I suppose. Most people don't have anyone else living inside their heads. No one else can ever fully understand you, but then again neither can you." He paused to thank the barkeep and take a sip of his drink. "That doesn't mean you have to live alone."

Ciel shrugged. "I'm taking a sabbatical from roommates." After her last one died. She should really see if her roommate was haunting her. That'd be interesting and... kind of weird. Who wants their dead boyfriend watching them all the time?

"I meant in the broader sense, living one's life with friends and family," the older detective said with a smile. "There's certainly nothing wrong with living without housemates for a time. But from personal experience I'd recommend at least keeping a pet."

"I have a pet. He mostly looks after himself." Really, the hybrid between a fox and an otter was intelligent enough to get into his own food and any attempt to stop him from getting what he wanted would mean toddler-proofing the apartment. Ciel wasn't willing to toddler-proof her apartment.

"I think what he is trying to say is that....sitting alone and drinking yourself silly isn't what anyone would call...healthy. My uncle did that and he ended up in one of those anonymous alcoholic clinics after getting so drunk one night he went to his neighbors to start screaming at em and vomited all over their doorstep..." Endellion murmured, rubbing her chin, "You drink alone, you don't have anyone to make sure you are waking up the next day either..."

That had her grimacing just a bit. She had been called to college parties once or twice where the poor bloke was dead in a pool of their own vomit. She did not envy the forensics team downstairs for having to take those bodies apart for cause of death, that was for sure.

"I guess it is...sometimes just going out once a week with a friend, even if it is after work drinks or fast food munchies can lighten the week up a bit, yeah?"

Ciel nodded and didn't argue. It didn't seem like she'd get agreement here. But if she didn't wake up it wouldn't matter much to anyone else. So she just took another swig and paid for her second bottle.

Endellion rubbed the back of her head wondering what trauma Ciel had been through to cause her to become this withdrawn. Must have been something back yet before she could ask the question starting to burn a path through her mind, she noticed the noise of the bar had suddenly dipped.

A glance to the door revealed why.

Although more or less the many fantasy species were starting to live together a bit more and at least the more overt specie prejudices were no longer allowed, the undead still face a great deal of social wariness. The man at the door was obvious not among the living from the pale green pallor of his skin. His black hair was tousled and a scarf was pulled up over his nose. It only accentuated the black rimmed eyes that were slightly yellowed and bloodshot looking. The undead paused, giving a cursory glance about before slowly moving in rather stiffly although did give a small hopping limb at times as he moved to a booth table to sit. Only once seated did he tug down the scarf, revealing black lips and the barest hint of jagged teeth. He yawned slightly, covering his mouth, but to those that looked closely, it was clear the gums and tongue were black.

He sat politely at the table, only flicking his gaze up when the waiter dared to come over, ordering something softly. The waiter nodded slowly and turned to head towards the kitchen, wrinkling their nose in distaste at whatever the undead had order. For his part, the undead, returned his gaze to stare off at the wall. lost in thought. The noise of the bar picked up again as Endellion shrugged, looking to her two companions, "Seems everyone is crawling out of the office eh?"

"And that may be my ticket to leave," Ciel muttered. "Don't need undead office dad giving his disapproval." She took another drink, emptying her first bottle of whiskey. "I mean, unless we make a block of inebriation to combat the disapproval."

Dolo, having no concept of manners, entered the bar from the window, being the nearest entrance in his line of sight. As the bartender was in a solitary position giving people drinks for shiny objects, he used his vague understanding to determine they were some kind of trader. What he didn't understand as he abruptly placed a deer carcass on the table, asking to trade for water, was that people in a civilised society, do in fact, not trade for dead animals. Or that glasses of water were free. With his lunch back in his backpack, and having drank his water, he was unsure what else to do with himself. Other people were talking with eachother, so he discerned he should probably try and talk to someone. He perched himself upon the stool, almost interrupting the group. "What is this off-is you speak of?"

Ciel grabbed her second bottle and slipped off the bar stool. "Which is my cue to leave." She wanted to get drunk, not deal with strange men. After all, there was a liquor store around the corner and she could pick up all the alcohol she wanted to drink herself into a blissful coma. Whatever the guy with the deer carcass wanted, it wasn't in her wheelhouse to deal with it.

Endellion blinked, whatever she had been about to say about the "corpse" in the corner having gone out the window when someone came in through the window with a deer carcass. She sighed just a bit, shaking her head. Some of the more wild species of non-humans always had a hard time adapting to the city life, that was for sure. How often has she been out to trailers to explain they couldn't host demon rituals on the front lawn and no, no sinking boats wasn't an activity for fun but an actual crime in human lands. Still, friendly as ever the werewolf offered Dolo a smile.

"Office. A place where we work. Our job and all that. How you make money to pay for things, you know? If ah, you are looking, you might want to try the office for non-human services. They always find good fits for people." She suggested politely.

~*~
The undead that had come in, glanced up briefly as Ciel rose to her feet, gaze unblinking as he regarded her before clearing his throat, "Officer Ciel...a word before you make your grand escape?" he rasped, his voice carrying that undeniable hum that all the undead seemed to exhibit.

A flurry of curses passed through the young woman's mind as Undead Office Dad caught her. However much she wanted to dismiss him, she knew better. The next day at work would prove frustrating if she avoided him. She let out a slight sigh and ambled over to him, drunken gait obvious. "Yessir?" she slurred.

---

Outside, a sleek, black sedan pulled up and rolled to a stop. Estella stepped out and skipped to the bar, humming as she went. She wasn't much for drinks, but she'd watched at least three of her coworkers enter the bar and that meant an unofficial party was afoot! She wasn't about to lose out on that, even if she'd stick to water and sparkling cider.

Qiūhé glanced up again as she slurred her response to him before he gave a small gesture to the seat across to him. "Have a seat." It was phrased as a request, but held a hint of a command to it although it was hard to pick up in how soft spoken the undead was. The waitress had returned with a enclosed box of something, dropping it on the table with a rather forced polite smile as she quickly walked away. He had no reaction to her, merely pulling the box over to rest in front of him.

"Not the kind of night to go roaming the streets drunk. There was a rather big bust of a local gang. They'll be targeting officers no doubt."

"'M not dressed like an'officer." But she sat down anyway. "What're you doing out here, anyway? You're usually in the morgue, right?" What did undead people eat? For that matter, when was the last time she ate? And what was it? Oh, right. A muffin this morning. Muffins would be good. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to plot her way to get alcohol, muffins, pizza, and a cheesecake on the way home. Where sold cheesecakes? "Hm."

"I am yes but contrary to the rest of the force's expectations, I do not live there." He answered softly, black rimmed eyes glancing to her, "And you don't need to dress like an officer for them to pin you for one. We sometimes underestimate just how much they know." Idly he opened the box, glancing into it before pulling out a life mouse.

"I needed to clear my head about a case. If you need a distraction, I can lay out the evidence and you can tell me your thoughts?" Qiūhé asked, arching a eyebrow.

His attention went down to the mouse as he held it up, baring his teeth and showing off the black gums. All he did was inhale and the mouse, once squirming went rigid and cold, dead in a few seconds as the life of it was simply sucked away through its own breath by the jiangshi.

She shuddered at the display. "I keep shop talk in the shop. I'll be fine." Maybe there'd be a cheesecake at the grocery store? "I think I'mma make my way home, anyway. Thanks for th'advice." She pushed herself to her feet. "Thanks for th' concern."

"Mm. If you manage to walk a straight line home and not end up in the gutter tonight. I would hate to have to see you tomorrow on a gunnery, not in the office," He said idly, clearly not putting much faith in her ability to get home. "You sure you don't need someone to call you a taxi?"

"Look, you." She leveled a glare at him. "I've been living on my own since I was legally allowed. I can handle myself." He was quite judgmental, wasn't he? Then again, she was kind of doing the same to him and his... mouse dinner. "I do it enough nights to know my limits."

Qiūhé didn't seem to register the glare, meeting her gaze with his own, unblinking one, staring her down as if he could see right through her and given that energy and souls seemed to be his preference of meal, perhaps he could see right into her in a way, "It is comforting to know you are drinking yourself into a stupor each night. I'm utterly filled with confidence." His tone was soft and polite, it nearly covered up the obvious sarcasm.

He merely grabbed up another mouse out of the box, draining it of its life as soon as it drew a breath, "I would say you need to get some sort of hobby...but I suppose you'll tell me the drinking is the hobby."

That earned a shiver. "Not every night," she muttered. Sometimes during the day instead. "What's the point of a hobby? It just gets taken away with time." Why was she such a downer tonight? She had hoped to find someone to distract her tonight, though not in the way Qiūhé seemed to want to. And he wasn't her type, anyway.

Then again, the idea of sucking the life from a thing was somehow appealing to her. Did he feed on people or just animals? She'd look it up when she got home if she remembered.

"When you talk like that, you make me feel like I still have a pulse you know. Perhaps that's why I wish to talk to you." There was a ghost of a grin on his face, exposing those far too sharp teeth as he took out the third and final mouse from the box, draining it of all life before dropping it back in, "Truly though, a good hobby will distract the mind from sorrow. Keeps the hands busy from vices... the hobby can really be something as casual as late-night walks."

"Why do you hang around, anyway? Not to be rude, but... I'm not even to 30 and I don't want to live most days. Why did you decide to hang around?" Fine, fine, she'd bite. Slowly, Ciel sank back into her chair. "I think if I'm around in another twenty years I'll eat a gun. So what's got you going?" She unscrewed the top of her second bottle and took a swig.

A moment later the waitress wandered over and she ordered a... large variety of very unhealthy food. Mostly sweets.

"I wouldn't suggest suicide. Traumatic deaths like that tend to risk your chances of coming back defeating the purpose of suicide." He responded, a ghost of a smile on his lips as he pushed the box aside, folding his hands under his chin, "Then you have an eternity to share how you died at all the office parties."

Qiūhé barely glanced to the waitress though as he mused over her first question, "Do you mean hang around this bar or why I became a member of the much accursed undead?" He asked, arching an eyebrow, "Because for the former, merely getting out to clear the air. The latter well...it is a fairly long story that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back