• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sir Borren raises his eyebrows at your sudden proclamation, but slowly, the older knight smiles, recognizing your father's inspirational aura in your voice.

As you continue to speak, there is a hushing of the anguished cries from those villfolk still looking upon their fallen kin. Now, the peasants and the soldiers turn to gaze upon the young lord conversing with the almighty, the black blood dripping from his sword and seeping into the ground.

--

Your men take heed of your commands, and positions are set up around the village perimeter to keep it secure from the undead. The men with wounds are seen to by the monks. Sir Hywel is tasked with taking account of the supplies, and Sir Borren makes sure an impromptu pyre is erected.

Less than a half hour after the battle is over, two of your men are reported as killed. Apparently, they had their throats bitten out by ghouls as they attempted to enter one of the outlying hovels, where they made an unfortunate discovery- corpses were stored in this humble abode, and were already animated by the time the Harwoods arrived. Among the dead was a Harwood archer, and Sir Hywel's page. The young knight is quite distraught, so Sir Pembry takes over. He eventually reports that the host's food stores are not particularly impressive, pointing out wagons brought from each village. "We have enough foodstuffs for two more days before we ought to consider getting more provisions. Otherwise, the march will be slowed by our men foraging."

1594112285258.png

Sir Mellard reports to you that a number of tenants are missing from the village, having not returned after fleeing the initial attack. Regardless, he manages to gather several men from the local levy, as well as a few armed serfs.
[+14 Bannon Footmen]
[+15 Bannon Peasant Spearmen]

Lord Edwin considers his position carefully, calling forth Sir Borren.

"Good Sir Borren, what are we to do? I fear that our Baron has wholly been corrupted by these dark practitioners. He bid against parley, a sacred right of all warriors. I believe he feared that I knew the extent of this dark plot, and I wonder if it was truly him who gave the order to kill Sir Moultin." Edwin pauses for a moment, "Even now, our numbers do not contest the Baron directly, should it come to arms against these cultists. But I believe that should we capture this Crowley, the crisis may be averted. What do you think, good sir?"

"I feel ill tidings from the Baron," Sir Borren complains. "Something about him... I would not be surprised if he peered too long into that black chasm of the Abyss." He shakes his head. "I believe, Lord Edwin, that the worst case scenario would be that the Baron is already preparing to engage our army. We don't know how quickly word has spread these past few days, we could have been seen by scouts or other Stromwood servants. Hmm..."

A rider from your household cavalry approaches, removes his helmet, bows, and worriedly reports that Bannon's bailiff had dispatched riders to the Baron previously. "This was prior to when we arrived. What if the Baron has men on the way?"

There is a brief amount of commotion as banners can be seen flying on the same road you marched in from. A smaller warband has taken position north of Bannon, but they don't appear to be hostile... upon closer inspection, you might recognize the serpentine heraldry of House Vizierdrake, a family of lordings belonging to the Tuwold barony.

Sir Pembry rides over to you with a more unfamiliar knight in tow, and introduces him.
"My lord, one of the nobles heeded your call. This good man is Sir Nyren."

The knight flips up his visor and bows his head. "Ah, Lord Edwin. I am a humble servant of Lord Leogan, and have brought you these forces at the request of my master, Meleagan Vizierdrake, heir apparent and castellan. There are over four score of us; merry men from Charondale Castle, levies, and stout volunteers. We seek to aid you in putting a stop to this unholy conspiracy..."

HOUSE VIZIERDRAKE DETACHMENT
86 men
FEODAL OFFICERS
1x
House Vizierdrake Knight (Sir Nyren)
RETAINED MEN
5x
House Vizierdrake Veteran Footmen
16x
House Vizierdrake Footmen
LEVIED MEN
3x
Pelwic Hobelar
1x
Charondale Hobelar
12x
Charondale Footmen
15x
Pelwic Footmen
13x
Nostron Footmen
VOLUNTEERS
20x
Pelwic Peasant Spearmen
HIRED MEN
6x
Mercenary Mtd. Veteran Crossbowmen

Edwin approaches Sir Nyren, giving the knight an Imperial salute, before speaking. "Sir Nyren, it is not unexpected of great Vizierdrake to send aid in our realms darkest time. I assume you know the contents of my letter to your liege. This village was attacked by a horde of these undead men, luckily my loyal soldiers drove them off." Edwin pauses, looking over to Sir Pembry, "Sir Pembry, please see to it that Sir Nyren and his host are fed, and given some time to rest. Us knights shall convene soon, and speak. Sir Nyren, it has been an honor meeting you sir."

As the knights would disperse, Edwin would turn back to Sir Borren, continuing their conversation, "How can I claim to be a godly man, should I need break my vows to the baron? Will these knights, and men follow me in battle against the living, against our very liege? I do not wish combat, but I fear it is willed against us now, good sir."

Sir Pembry nods, and leads the Vizierdrake captain off to get him settled- at least as best as possible, given the rather chaotic situation at the moment.

Sir Borren scoffs. "Well, Lord Angas? By Paragon, the man is counselled by dark summoners- you need not worry about your godliness, lad. I think most of the men are not yet spent on this cause. That said, some will fret even more-so about being away from their homesteads, especially after the little slaughter we bore witness to today."

You hear some exclamations nearby. An old spearman now calls out, pointing off into the distance at an approaching mounted figure. "There!" he calls. "Look!"

Sir Borren turns his horse around, squinting. Trotting towards the village grounds is a rider that seems to be wearing a tabard, one which bears the cognizance of the Stromwoods. It is the none other than the same herald that had visited your castle days earlier- Jerald was his name, you may recall. He holds aloft a white standard of truce.

"Drat- they must know we are here. Shall we go and meet him?" Sir Borren asks.

Last edited:
Edwin turns toward Sir Borren, "We have no other choice, but our intentions must look plain to this rider."

Edwin spurs his horse forward at a slight trot, greeting the rider, alongside him his master at arms, Sir Borren.

"And to what honor do I have receiving you again, Jerald? I hope you have recovered from your wounds, from last we met at Harwood."

The herald seems briefly caught off guard. "Ah, that is very nice for you to ask. I am fine, m'lord- though the last horse I was upon is no better." He looks briefly ashamed about it, but then focuses on you again. "The Baron orders that this host must be disbanded now, and that you deliver unto him the outlaw Moulton and the treacherous bailiffs that were granting aide to him. For this service, he will grant you Stroncrest and its surrounding lands, though the Baron will remain as rector of the church and retain the silver from the vicarage." He clears his throat. "I am bidded to speed your reply."

Last edited:
Edwin listens to the herald, as his war horse sways underneath him, much like the ocean waves.

"You have seen the same evil we have. You can see that evil upon the road, in this very village. When we came here, the smallfolk were set upon by beasts. By the Emmortals will, the undeath was removed from this land- temporarily."

Edwin clears his throat, still obviously dirtied by the perils of battle.

"Where was my Lord then, herald? He tells me to kill a traitor, but gives no mention of the curse within our land?"

Edwin stops, sighing.

"You must forgive me, this task given by our lord is no easy one. The Emmortal challenges us in ways I will never understand."

The lordling looks over, to a pile of bodies, some undead, others victims of the horde.

"Do you see those people there?" Edwin begins trotting his horse over towards the nearby mass of mangled flesh, waving his hand to the herald to follow.

"This girl here, did she deserve this fate? Or this man here, or this old lady? These people have lived hard lives under our collective stewardship of Stromwood. Hard, but righteous lives. That is their role in life, service to a lord, who bound by the Emmortal, is vowed to protect."

Edwin turns his gaze, hardset on the butchered peasants.

"Perhaps that man there was a father, and the old lady the mother of many villagers here, maybe even that poor girl was her grand daughter, clutching to her family during their last moments."

The lordling breaks his focus on the mob, looking up to the grey sky, then back into the eyes of the messenger. "I beg you Jerald, spare a moment with me. Not for titles and power, but for our duty to the Emmortal, and the land we call home. Would you answer or Lord's prayer, as a man of God?"

Last edited:
[60%]

During your speech, Sir Borren gives a few slow nods to the Stromwood envoy, interspersed with nods towards in your direction, as if encouraging him to take your side. The knight then lowers his head solemnly to pay respects to the fallen.

The young messenger seems disturbed as he is forced to lower his gaze towards the ground, to fully witness the effects of the horrible, bloody blight of the undead. He looks to turn a shade paler, then leans to the side and gags. "Oh... by goodness." He takes a few moments to get his bearings, looking a bit dazed and gripping his reins very tightly. "Yes, m'lord," he says. "I am at your service, but I truly must... soon... return to my master." However, after a brief moment of hesitation, he nods towards you. "But yes, of course I will join you in prayer, m'lord- for the people of Bannon..."

Last edited:
Edwin looks down at the pile of bodies, before turning back to the herald. "Perhaps then, let us ride to the chapel here. We shall pray to our lord, and then speak upon the happenings here, which you will in turn tell our liege."

The herald nods in agreement, and prepares to accompany you over to the village church, located near the center of the settlement. It can be seen that this is the destination for many distraught commoners, men, women, children, all lamenting the recent deaths at the claws and teeth of the undead and seeking solace for their Emmortal souls in prayer. You can see a cleric, the young vicar of Bannon, issuing a prayer to a throng of serfs and bystanding retinuemen.

"... and may Paragon, in His divinity and holy mercy, accept their passing from the Realm of Trials. Shed no tears, for here they will have their hallowed rest, forever with Him and his glory. For the young and untried, may Empyra bring them a womb of life renewed."

"Praise be to our lord Paragon!" The lordling calls out, lowering his head in prayer. He would wait for the activity to die down, before turning to the messenger.

"Surely you can see, Jerald, the blight upon our land. I am a servant of our Lord, the Paragon. I have learned about Crowley, and others like him in the court of Strongwood. This curse has spread from Assux, all the way to Charondale, whose castellan Meleagan Vizierdrake has lent soldiers to our cause. Lady Isania and Trimont Abbey has pledged paladins as well."

Edwin pauses, then speaking after a moment.

"Our mission is not against the Baron. As his subjects, we are sworn to defend the land. Crowley, and these knights bearing ancient dark ruins, are not our friends, and not friends of the faith. Tell me truthfully, does the Baron seek my head? Are there soldiers waiting to butcher our host? To continue the works of Crowley and his dark masters?"

Jerald shifts uncomfortably, looking discomposed as you are talking to him. After you are done speaking, you notice that a few of your soldiers that filed out of the chapel have lingered around and are gawking slightly, while the rest of the villfolk do not seem to pay attention to the Stromwood retainer.

1602814490381.png
The envoy lowers his voice, and after a brief moment of hesitation, he nods towards you. "Ah... forgive me, m'lord, but I am not allowed to speak about any of those matters. Hopeful blessings to all who were lost in this village today." His horse snorts.

Last edited:
"Hopeful blessings? Forgive you? It's not my forgiveness you should be asking. If you serve evil, only the Paragon may forgive you Jerald."

Edwin says at the messenger, his tone shifting from apologetic to an irritated, harsh one.

"Does the Baron truly thing another title will please our concerns? We are not rallied together for lands, instead to protect our folk. You refusing to speak upon these matters benefits those who seek to harm the people of this land, perhaps you are among them?"

The lordling looks over at the soldiers, and his sword master Sir Borren close to the pair, perhaps hoping they would begin coming toward him, as his hand would tighten on the pommel of his fathers sword, anger growing within him.

"Would you truly do me such disservice in front of mine own supporters?"

Your two retainers take a few steps closer. Sir Borren doesn't notice your gaze, but he does seem to be sizing up the man in the blue tabard.

Jerald looks at the nearby men and frowns, seeming indignant. "No! He is a man of laws. He would not visit any harm to you if... if you asked him for a proper parley instead," he attempts to suggest. "You could always ask for better terms! But... your lord will... or... right now, does see this as a rebellion. Verily so," he informs you. He lifts his hands up, far away from his sword hilt, palms outstretched. "Unless I will be harried for the second time... I will be your voice back to him, your lordship," he remarks, slightly impudently. You can hear some nearby murmurs.

"Perhaps Lord Angas wishes parley now, but when it came to Sir Moulton he forbid his right to do the same. If one is to be a man of laws, it must not be only for his own benefit, to pick and choose when to be lawful, you see." Edwin stares down the herald, clenching his jaw, "I will not have you harmed while you are here, it is forbidden by the law of our lands, and church, which I would not consider breaking. Forgive my anger, I pray what you have seen here brings you sympathy to our cause, and to the people we protect." Edwin nods at the soldiers, as to send them on their way.

Edwin looks up to the bell tower of the church, seeing black crows sitting atop the spire, their black bodies standing out against the grey sky.

"You have seen the death here, and have undoubtedly seen the undead for yourself. You are a dutiful man, perhaps not entirely to God, but dutiful. Go back and tell our Lord that I wish to parley, and also tell him this is not a rebellion. Had our host not been here the village would have fallen, seeing how the local levy broke and ran alongside the other peasants. Our forces are raised so Crowley, and those who seek to harm our homes may not succeed." Edwin takes a short pause, looking back down towards the rider. "Tell the baron that the Paragon is our protector. Tell him about the horrors that happened here in Bannon. If he shall promise safe parley, then as his vassals, we are obliged to meet with him."

Edwin gives Jerald some time to respond, "How long might we expect you again?"

The herald seems to relax once you guarantee him a safe departure. "Though I have no say over my master's timings, I may return later this day, your lordship," the man replies. He gives his surroundings a cursory glance and sees that your men have backed off slightly. If not otherwise spoken to, he bids you farewell and trots out of the village.

"We should send out some scouts," Sir Borren advises.

Edwin allows the herald to ride off, turning back to Borren. "Aye, we already have some men on the perimeter, but dispatch some in the direction of the herald, I wish to know how close our lord truly is. We shall gather the knights too."

Last edited:
After the scouts are sent out to trail the Stromwood messenger, the knights are summoned to you. However, Sir Mellard is nowhere to be found, even for some time after all the others have gathered. "Where is he? Was he going somewhere...?" Sir Destrin asks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back