• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Sir Mellard seems to sigh, as if some of the tension in the situation was released upon your apology. "It is fine, my lord. I hope we are now able to better tackle this problem..." He does his best not to sound like he's murmuring. "As for Sir Roscan, his first son and squire is still missing. He does have a wife and second son, both living at Squire Top. The boy is a page, while his wife waits on Lady Jenniwin," he tells you. You know that Lady Jenniwin is the wife of the Lord of Squire Top.

He narrows his eyes at the suggestion of the parley, but nods after you give an assurance of loyalty. There was no point in contesting it at this point. "Very well... perhaps it would be better to avoid the trouble of battle, as long as we accomplish the Baron's overall intent. As for informing the men, it will be difficult... perhaps we should accomplish our mission before telling them, and offering the levies the chance to disband themselves if they wish to return home. They do not need to know the details of Lord Stromwood's court in any event."

Sir Pembry stirs in his chair. "We should not risk this backfiring, and hurting our morale. The men may very well realize themselves what is going on, and they will be hesitant to trust us if we keep it from them. I am aghast at the company our liege is keeping, but if you believe secrets must be kept for the sake of good order, and thus the lives of the innocents here, I will have to accept that."

"Aye,"
Sir Borren says. "Trusting a necromancer is foolish... though I don't see much choice, if he is the only man to stop the hordes. Perhaps we should send scouts near Aussux to check on the number of undead."

Edwin listens intently, his stonewall face not budging at the sullen news, but still concerned to his core. "The men do not need to know about this Alcort Crowley, but he is no friend. He surely is not helping the Baron purely for the delight of being virtuous, surely the man is getting something."

The lordling pauses, collecting his thoughts, "The men have already seen these undead on multiple occasions. This is a plague of the land, and trust in the Emmortal is the greatest thing any man can do, common or highborn. That is not to say that a few prayers will save one from death, but living under the tenets of the Emmortal, helping one another, being true and just, among others, will keep us right with Him, and right with each other. I am not the most devout man, but faith serves to unite us. The enemy is not some peasant boy, or his lord, the enemy is not even these undead, if we are not true to each other then the enemy will indeed be ourselves. Chaos and confusion could ruin this host, so we will manage that is does not." Edwin delivers his sharp speech, continuing shortly, "With this being said, any man here may come to me regarding an issue, do not be afraid to do so. In turn your sergeants will allowed the same grace and expected to exercise it, and the levies and retinue shall too be given this right to their sergeants. We will be well informed, if you know something I do not, tell me, even if it is nothing."

The lord of Harwood says a quiet prayer to his father, and the Emmortal, focusing his confidence into concluding his address. "Knowledge can cut as deep as any sword, and that is what we shall have over these lifeless dredges, that we are alive and knowledgeable! We are men of God, we are men of the living, and by his grace we shall fight together, and should we perish, dine together in His hall!" Edwin roars, taking a stand. "Now then! Let us finish up the details, how do we inform the men of this... plight? We must situate that, and then we shall march for Sir Moulton, and Emmortal willing, for peace."

Last edited:
You deliver a message appealing to the religious sentiments among the men, and it seems to work relatively well. It is easy for men to take heart in their faith, even when the world seems to be turned upside-down in these dark days.

"Well..." Sir Borren begins. "It is a touchy subject to tell commoners that the living dead have returned."

Sir Pembry nods in agreement. "Some will be terrified, out of their minds."

Sir Borren takes a moment to think. "The most I think we could say to put their minds at ease when it comes to this, is to remind them that the dead can be killed. We killed the strange horse, didn't we? We can kill those other damned beasts as well."

Sir Mellard nods. "Letting the men know you have a plan to protect their homes will have to do for now, for the information regarding the bigger picture will do more harm than good."

Lord Harwood finishes things in the beerhall, moving outside with the barons men, and his own knights. He has the host assembled, preparing them to speak. The Lord of Harwood would have talked to Sir Borren, having the knight go around to the various sergeants, having his chief lieutenant request that the sergeants help to keep order, and cheer with the utmost certainty, so they may inspire the men around them. With the host assembled, Edwin would speak to the group, standing tall on his horse, all of his knights and equestrians besides him.

Crying out with a deep, booming tone, Edwin begins to speak. "My dear bannermen! My dear friends indeed. Our march here was long, and yet we are not finished. I have spoken with the barons man, the honorable Sir Mellard here!" Edwin nods at the newfound ally, "There have been many things of late. I can sense in you fear, yet fear itself is our enemy, and that is all. But find solace in this, I have seen the glory of the Emmortal, and he shall guide us through this! A darkness has taken root in our land, the dead are living." Edwin booms his voice louder, "But this is nothing! Nothing for good Harwood men as you are! We had seen them once, the poor horse, and her slain master. The dead may be killed again! And by His grace and protection we will see through this fight! We march not for the glory of mine own, for the glory of the Baron, no! We march to protect our homes! Our wives and children! Everything we hold dear. I must say, that of any company told hold in these times I would not trade you men for any! Stick with me, and the high heavens above shall protect you!"

"We still march for Sir Moultin, but no longer for war. All living men are our ally! We march to make peace, and in that peace protect all things that are holy.

There are many murmurings and whispers when the suspicions of a bad omen are proven tenfold with the revelation that the dead, indeed, are beginning to come back to the realm of the living. However, your continued speech draws the host's attention back to you. Men are afraid, and they're quick to look towards their lord for answers. Spirits are raised among some, who holler and lift their swords or spears into the air as you praise the fighting men under your command. Other men... you can see in their faces that they are lost in thought, or appear uneasy, even when they bring themselves to cheer with the more confident soldiers. However, even these men take solace in the reminder that their cause was holy and good.

A young archer speaks up. "Beggin' your pardon, m'lord. Are our homes safe from the... curse?" he asks.

Torman's son speaks afterwards, his eyes wide. "What does this mean for my sister, m'lord...? Do you think that..."

Edwin boldly looks towards the crowd, slowly trotting towards them, then pivoting his horse to march parallel the host. "I see in your faces fear, the very fear which would consume lesser men. The same fear which I have seen before, when I lost mine own lord father. But fear is far outweighed by companionship, faith, and perseverance friends! None of you are so low that I would not risk my life for yours, none of you are so scared that I would not trust mine own well being in your hands! Together, and together alone can we withstand this!"

Edwin pauses, turning his horse and riding the other way, as he hears the archer speak out towards him.

"Good my countryman, your homes, all of our homes, depend on us. So long as we are steadfast, and work together, they will be safe. I plan not on keeping you men longer than I must, and I realize you worry for your families, but know that in serving me now, you are protecting them for the far future. It may be hard to see it, but I promise you this!"

The lordling jolts his head toward Tormans son, speaking to him, "Oh good son of Torman, worry not for your sister. I have seen that she be taken to the temple of the Emmortal, where the monks of His heavenly grace shall see to her health, and recovery. Remember, in life we are all led by His hand, and who are we to question it? Having one you love taken from you with no explanation is no easy thing. There is not a day gone by where I wish my lord father was here in my place. But from this I realize that the Emmortal has destined me to be here, as well as you loyal men, and destined for your sweet sister something else. Take solace, dear boy, his light shall guide us through these dark times."

Last edited:
Your brave words and projection of confidence finally seems to stifle the sense of foreboding doom among your men. The fear is stamped down, and the men who were previously afraid have taken some heart, at least for now. Torman's son takes a few moments to reflect on your words, before nodding slowly. He sighs, closing his eyes and drawing a deep breath, before gently murmuring in prayer. He appears to convince himself that Paragon is still looking out for his sister, and he regains some composure.

Your men stand ready to move at your command, as well as Sir Mellard and his fellow Stromwood knights. It is still only the afternoon, the march to Bannon having been only a few hours. You should be able to reach Stoncrest before evening sets in.

Edwin finishes his speech, meeting now with his full force of knights. "We shall continue the march to Stoncrest," Lord Edwin turns to the Barons executioner, "Sir Mellard, I would have you and your knights accompany me in the vanguard, otherwise I have delegated the host accordingly, my men know their positions. If any of your riders are willing, I'd have a few of them join some of my boys scouting ahead, just to provide some extra security. If you have any questions regarding the march Sir Borren can fill you in."

Edwin looks around, seeing his various men and sergeants readying themselves to march again. "Let us make our preparations, and get moving. We'll march to the outskirts of Stoncrest and ready the host there. Hopefully we can meet with Sir Moultin for parley should he be present, if not one of his own lieutenants. Are there any questions among you lot?"

Sir Mellard nods and accepts his position with the other knights in your vanguard. He takes the knightly members of his party and falls in with you, while ordering a few squires and mounted serjeants to assist your outriders. Sir Borren entertains some questions for Sir Gaines about the details of Sir Roscan's death, and the strange happenings witnessed during the march.

The men fall into marching order, and no further questions are asked of you. The men seemed determined to accomplish their mission and hopefully return home.

Lord Harwood has the host march out, headed towards Stoncrest, noticing the renewed determination of his host. It seems so far his quick words had saved many would be catastrophes, but the young lordling begins to worry that his winning streak might run thin. Edwin dismisses these empty thoughts, putting his mind to the march, keeping eyes peeled, watching the men, listening to his lieutenants and their sergeants, overall being present. It was a trick his father taught him, that when the mind becomes heavy, focus on the present. It worked, for now.

The host marched until the outskirts of Stoncrest, where they would stop. Edwin has Borren give orders for the host to be assembled, and ready for combat should it come. In the meantime the Lordling gathers his lieutenants, asking for how to approach parley once Borren had joined them.

The march to Stoncrest is rather uneventful... perhaps eerily so. There aren't any folks out in the fields or hamlets, despite the spring harvestwork that needs to be completed. The crows caw loudly in a background of snorting horses, footfalls and nervous murmurings among the men.

As you are preparing to convene with the other gentlemen, one of the outriders returns with a report. "My lord, a man came forth on the road up ahead and hailed us. He is dressed as a monk, and says he is there for the 'purposes of peace'."

Sir Hywel look between the knights. "Sounds like Sir Moulton must have sent him..."

"Bring this monk to me. Keep the men tense, wouldn't want our guard down while we speak to this one, would we?"

Edwin awaits the religious man, wondering what this meeting would bring. He had no great superstition against the monasteries like some did, having visited one as a child once. He marveled at their way of life, and had he not been his fathers heir would not be discontent being a holy brother himself. However, Edwin also enjoyed the martial pursuits, and the pursuits of a lord, happy with how his life had been unfolded so far. However it seemed those happy days had started growing thin, since the rebellion, and now this. He cleared his head again, focusing on his breath while he sat upon his horse, waiting.

The scout nods, riding off. Some minutes later, he and another rider return with the holy brother in tow. The monk bows to you. "Greetings, my lord. I am speaking to you on behalf of the people of Stoncrest and Woodwick," he begins. "I know this may be a peril to myself, but I will do as I can to prevent blood from being shed, as that is what Paragon intends of me."

The monk is not particularly or young or old. He is mostly shaven aside from a few long hairs on his chin. He wears a brown robe, sandals, and a thick, stitched cowl. A few of the men regard him suspiciously, while others don't seem to expect any foul play from a holy man, reciprocating his nods and friendly gestures.

He draws in a breath, and does his best to explain the situation. "Sir Moulton has renounced his allegiance to his liege lord, and has pledged himself to Trimount Abbey. He has declared for Isania the Virgin."

The name is recognizable. It is the second daughter of the Duke of Midduch, who had taken a vow of chastity and charity. A few years ago, she became known for making a pilgrimage to Trimount, thereafter dedicating her life to the poor and the church.

"We are all servants of the Paragon, monk. I intend that there be no bloodshed here today. I would speak with Sir Moulton, if he wishes to serve Trimount Abbey, and the chaste Isania, that is his decision. But he has also faulted my lord, and raised men in arms against his liege, breaking an oath he swore before God. In fact I heard of his rebellion from an outrider, sent by the baron, who in his task was wounded by these men who would question the barons right to rule over these lands, a right guaranteed by the Paragon."

Edwin's voice is cold and stern, how his father would speak to people he was not quite sure of. The same tone Edwin took with Sir Mellard outside the beer hall.

"Sir Moultin could have rode off to Trimount Abbey and avoided any conflict. Instead he has forced my lord of Stromwoods hand. Furthermore, in the sight of great evil, he would run from his lands, and people, after causing such tumultuous uproar. If there is bloodshed, it is not by our wish, nor by our own doing. Tell me, good monk, is Sir Moultin here? If we may speak in parley, as honorable knights would, then I do believe battle may be avoided here."

"It is no easy thing to say," the monk begins... he looks at his audience for a few moments, frowning to himself and drawing in a slow breath. "But Sir Moulton seeks the destruction of Lord Stromwood... for heresy." After he says this, a few of your retainers glance at each other and can be heard murmuring. The monk continues, though he appears nervous for himself. "Sir Moulton believes this is sufficient cause to renege upon his oath to the man. He does not have qualms with the other families, however. He pledges to honor a parley with the men of the Harwood banner, if he is given a chance to make his case."

"Is that how society functions now? Off the whims of one man's beliefs? Fine. Me and my banners shall ride out to the field and meet Sir Moultin for parley. Go now, bring him to us, monk." Edwin says to the holy man, obviously irritated by the monks pompous attitude.

When he is gone, Edwin speaks with his liegemen, and the Stromwood knights. "Outrageous. It is one thing wishing to serve the Paragon in a holy abbey, but another to forsake your holy vows and raise men against your lord, especially now. We shall speak to him, my lords. Please, give me your advice, especially you Sir Mellard, what would the baron want?"

Last edited:
When you make your parting comment in front of your men, it does something to neutralize the murmuring suspicions around Lord Stromwood. The monk nods quickly upon your order, walking off with haste in the direction from whence he came.

You move off to the side with the party's gentry, asking for their advice.

"Well..." Sir Mellard begins, looking among the men. "As far as we are concerned, 'Sir' Moulton is just a rebel to our liege, not a knight." He looks among the Stromwood knights. "The men I have with me can attest to that, he was attainted, and outlawed. And a bloody outlaw is not given the privileges of a parley, and is merely thinking too high of himself if he thinks he is," he declares. "If we were to merely strike him down and disperse the rabble, we could do so in the eyes of the law, while saving many lives from the battle."

"We should not dare to do such a thing," Sir Pembry remarks with a vigorous shake of his head, the chain rattling from his aventail. "We do not even fully know the man's point of view. Moreover, a parley is a parley. I don't care if we were meeting a serf." He displays a knowledge of the chivalric code as he continues to counter Sir Mellard. "He is still a knight, even if the baron has stripped him of his privileges and lands. Knighthood can only be removed by the master of the order... as a knight of the realm, his master is the king."

Sir Carreck, a Strongwood knight, scoffs slightly at Sir Pembry.

"He is a knight, but a coward nonetheless. But we are not murderers, if I offer him parley, I intend to keep with it. I shall meet with him."

Edwin finishes the conversation, starting to get irritated by all of the nonsense going on. He assembles his riders to accompany him during the parley, having the sergeants ready the host to possibly fight, should things turn sour.

You conclude the meeting with the knights, and make preparations to conduct the parley. A rider approaches your host from the direction of Stoncrest, hailing and stating that he will take your party to the meeting place, which is in the middle of a bean field. Upon your consent, you and the rest of the knights are brought to this area, with the squires staying behind to help organize the men in the absence of their masters.

Sir Moulton can be seen waiting atop his destrier, wearing his full set of armor. Mail, graves, gauntles, jack-o-plates, and bascinet. His gaunt face is set like stone. He has been joined by three other men on horseback. One of them is an old cleric wearing a simple white robe, sandals in his stirrups. The other two men are somewhat armored (having bowl helms and mail), though they sit atop ordinary saddle horses and wear plain surcoats which lack any heraldry. There is also a rider wearing a surcoat with the heraldry of... House Vizierdrake. He has a saddle horse but simple armor, probably a footman.

"Greetings, my lord," the knight greets. "I suppose you were told to come in arms against me. But, like any decent man, I wish to avoid a battle if possible." He switches his gaze to the baron's justice. "And greetings to you, Mellard. You must be here for my head."

Sir Mellard shrugs, and looks to you.

Last edited:
As the lordling rides up to his enemy, eyeing the man down, and also the host behind him, hoping to get a quick estimate of their size relative his own.

"Are you here to speak with me, Sir, or to bicker with Sir Mellard here? I'd figured the former. I know the turmoil as well as you do which has befallen our realm. I was forbid parley with you, however I have broken this out of my wish for peace. If you want to go join the monks, then go ahead, I won't waste living men in these times. But you have presented armed men against the baron, and that is treason sir. You had no reason to do so, if you had simply ridden for the abbey, rather than take up this fools quest, there would be no risk for bloodshed!"

Edwin pauses, calming his roaring voice.

"And who have you brought with you? A man of House Vizierdrake? What are you doing so far from home then?" the lordling asks the man.

Sir Moulton's expression does not change as you chastise him, though his companions do seem to wince a bit. He turns his head to the Vizierdrake servant, allowing him to introduce himself before he issues his rebuttal.

"Aye, I am Baxter, servant of Lord Leogan," the rider begins. His liege was one of the oldest lords in Calmayn. You might remember Lord Leogan from some past feasts and other noble gatherings, though this was back when you were a page and a young squire. He had gray, almost white hair even back then. "Milord, I was travelling to Stromwood Castle on orders of my master. Back at Charondale, we all learned about the... curse, when we cut a pig's throat and saw him come back to bloody life. Lord Leogan's son, Meleagan- a good lad- sent me and another man out to warn the other lords. One already stopped at Tuwold, and I was headed on my way to Stromwood." He respectfully nods towards both parties. "As I rode on down, I happened upon Sir Moulton's merry men, who told me many things about the... eh, goings-on around here. I wanted my master to know both sides of the story, so I humbly asked to come to this parley. Sir Moulton has said aye, but I ought to ask you as well, Lord Harwood."

"You do a great service, Baxter, warning the realm of this pestilence. Know I will not stop you in doing so, but my lord Stromwood already knows of this sickness."

Edwin turns back to Sir Moulton, an annoyed stare aimed toward the man, awaiting his response.

Sir Moulton nods towards the Vizierdrake armsman, then back to you, before speaking.

"I have rebelled against Lord Stromwood due to his part in an evil conspiracy, my lord." Sir Mellard scowls, while some of the other knights lean in to listen more closely. "He is not the lord I once knew. He was turned against the light of Paragon after he consorted with a man who practiced the black arts. Our liege called this man 'Master Crowley', and consulted with him more than his own steward," Sir Moulton says, teeth gritted. "Father Hamlyn, the cleric at Stromwood Castle was the first to abandon him, and he sped away for Trimount Abbey. Myself, serving on the baron's castle guard at the time, was dispatched after him, along with Sir Jarran of Woodwick. We caught up to him, but just like you, I shan't kill a man before hearing his story... and the cleric confirmed all my suspicions. Lord Stromwood is involved in a necromantic plot," he declares loudly. Then, he looks down a bit, and exhales through his teeth. "Alas, Sir Jarran insisted that the cleric must be slain, and struck him grievously..."

"So, that's what happened,"
Sir Mellard sneers. "You have always quarreled with Sir Jarran, and this is your fanciful excuse for murdering him?" He points towards to the priest on horseback, accusingly. "And this is this the man you intend to pass off as the cleric you 'heroically' saved?"

"I am not him,"
the old man sighs.
"I am, however, from the abbey. I am here to confirm that Father Hamlyn died of his wounds in our care."

The Vizierdrake soldier attempts to absorb all of this information, appearing baffled by the absurdity of it all.

"Silence!" Lord Edwin yells, the roaring bear of Harwood escaping from him. "You both test my patience." Edwin pauses, looking at the Vizierdrake man. "Good Baxter, I bid you farewell, once we have sorted this out I will meet with you again, but I request you leave us to deal with Stromwood business." The lordling waits for the rider to be out of ear before speaking.

"Tell me then, Sir Moulton, about this plot. Sir Mellard, you will speak your piece on it, and both will tell me about this accused necromancer Master Crowley. We are knights, ordained by the light of the Paragon. I am telling you this, any living man is not our enemy, Sir Moulton, and that includes you. I have heard the streets of Aussux are plagued with thousands of these rabbid men. One of mine own bailiffs has a daughter sick with this disease. My small folk fear for their lives. If we are not together in this fight, we will all surely perish. Disregard your concerns to the baron, but consider your people. If what you say is true, they will need you now more than ever. If you are wrong, then there is still the accursed undead to fight. Now, gentleman, speak, and speak truthfully, for the Paragon is listening among us."

The men turn to your booming voice, and cease the bickering for the moment. The Vizierdrake soldier nods, you can tell he is perhaps a bit disappointed to be excluded from these interesting conversations. Regardless, he dons his kettle hat again and rides back towards Stoncrest to wait for your summons.

Both of the quarrelsome knights listen to your speech, and to speak in turns. "Thank-you, my lord," Sir Moulton says. "Now, I will say that I do not know vast details about the plot. But I do know necromancy is afoot, and that Lord Stromwood is involved. Truthfully, I have doubts that Crowley is responsible for the fall of Aussux, otherwise the man must be a god who can be anywhere at any time. No, I believe that he is part of a whole order of them," he claims. "Crowley even had a few companions, with dark mail and tabards bearing strange runes."

You have heard old tales about the days of Imperial Aedor, where cults of necromancy and warlockery once existed alongside the common sorcerors. Though they were scorned even by other magicians, they were never truly purged from the land until the Holy Consortium's seizure of power.

Sir Moulton continues. "Crowley dug up a pauper's grave, and revealed that he was stricken with undeath. It was a horrid sight, and Crowley fed a rabbit to the man, who ate its flesh raw as it screamed. Then... he made a show to Lord Stromwood that he could prevent the... ghoul... from doing any harm to others. Sir Mellard was there as well," he claims, looking over to the other knight. Sir Mellard doesn't give much in the way of a nod, but he does not contest it. "Now, I have heard him regaling our baron about the dangers that Aussux posed... asking him to cede more, and more... It is not surprising that he reached the point of having to kill holy men who might spread the word of his misdoings."

Sir Mellard speaks after a period of silence. "So, Sir Moulton. Can your Isania turn away the undead?" he asks. "No? Listen! Alcort Crowley did no harm to Father Hamlyn. In fact, Crowley endured much contempt at court, and despite all that, he was very gracious about it. He and his men, they had runes, and they had dark clothes. They did not profane Paragon, they did not ask anything of us, other than to tolerate their presence- and they showed they could help us! He raised no dead, the very land itself is responsible for that. I could stamp any rat and it would return. No, Alcort Crowley showed that he could save us."

Sir Moulton clenches his jaw for a moment. "I am not charmed by evil," he replies, his face tight. "Necromancers... they are tricksters. And our liege was tricked, corrupted. This is all very obvious to me."

Both men look back to you. The other knights are silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back