• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Lodeli Woods] A Saviour & Student

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari
Mentions: Ninelle SilverFeathers SilverFeathers | Fei Liu Pet Panda Pet Panda
Languages: Commoon | {Sylvan}

Even though this outcome had been obvious, it still hurt. Should she have lied about it? Be less clear, direct and open? Possibly. After all, it sounded like the Hero severely overestimated how serious this was to anyone other than Euthalia herself. The Cardinals, even her family, had likely already forgotten about here. Should she have just lied about the reasons then? Yet she didn't want to try tricking a Hero of their nation. “Of course...” That was all she could reply for a bit, letting all those words sink in. She didn't even find the courage to correct Ninelle, such as the fact that her own family had agreed to this punishments and would need equal convincing to have it undone. She was also confused. Why would the Hero claim the Spirit King was wrong about her? That was disrespecting towards herself and towards the Spirit King alike! It was rather shocking to hear. “Use... you?” Was that what's she'd been trying to do? Perhaps... perhaps it was? She'd really just hoped that the Hero would be someone that she could prove herself too, but that might indeed be a manner of using her. “My... my most humble apologies... I wasn't thinking straight... again...” She stammered, lost on words.

She'd really screwed this up. She should've just tried to grow closer to the Hero first, then ask once they knew each-other better. Yet how could she think straight after having nearly starved? Worse, the Hero didn't even give her a task or request. What the hell could she do to prove herself to a HERO that didn't even want to give her a task. “No, I was rude, foolish and immature. I believe that nothing I could do now could prove myself, and even if I did, if you would truly deem it an act of being used, I would have no desire to do so... so all I could humbly request of you is to... to forget this ever happened.” For the second time today, she felt utterly defeated.

Liu felt the need to frown. Unused to such emotional intensity and vagile conversations, he took a moment and gathered his thoughts. Apricot is seeking someone to give her the political leverage to restore some draconian punishment levvied on her from a -- what, a fling? Liu truly had no concept of the forces at play and could not know what it even meant to have a fling with a Cardinal daughter. He could imagine possibly the danger of flirting with a child of some cardinally associated Taotie, as they're referred to by the esteemed pagans of his home's traditions. However, he looked this figure over, and she was impressive to be sure -- huge, now verdant, but if he heard right she was the daughter of one of these principalities. Ninelle didn't seem to have any ambitious bones in her body; a princess, even a disgraced one, is an incredibly valuable route to the court. They're like a sleight of hand trick in a dice game; in times of political conflict where both sides are evenly matched, the victory can be decided by the glance of a disgraced nobleman. All courts go through such times, and the political value of Apricot would appreciate and wane, they simply needed to wait for the right time. However, Ninelle didn't seem to care about such a thing. Understandable, politics turns civilized people into evil beasts.

Nonetheless, this person before them was in trouble for something that is apparently reversible. Ninelle was, however, right to be hesitant as a perfect stranger. If these Cardinals were sovereigns of any kind, danger is inherent in interacting with them. Apricot can't be numb to it, she fucked someone's daughter and got her heart cut out for it. Who's to say Ninelle, probably someone of notably lower heritage, wouldn't misspeak and have her tongue nailed to the wall? It was courage enough to say maybe later, which is what she said.

Liu stepped forward to the self-destructing Apricot and reached up to pat her shoulder gently, making sure to keep the sleeve wrapped around the hand. Having only gently laid the back of his hand on her shoulder, he hoped she wouldn't pry too much. Turning back toward Ninelle, he gently bowed his head and swept the other arm out just a little, as though to say 'with your permission.' Without waiting though, he turned back to the giant green woman next to him, lowering his arm and speaking gently,
"miss... I feel you have understandably become impatient. Hunger does many things to the soul, to say the least, and does just as much to the mind. I'm sure the hero can find it in herself to excuse this hasty approach. I'm afraid I cannot offer my aid in retrieving your heart, and for that I must express my deepest regret," he apologized gently, bowing his head just a little, either out of deference or to emote, aware that she cannot see his face.

"It's difficult to find one's way in the world, we each have our struggles. It is difficult even to compare the struggles to each other, they are often defined by the things around a person, obstacles visible and invisble, within and without," he gestured toward his own chest with both hands and then toward the grass around them to punctuate, "and I lament that when I see a person, I can only see their skin, their stature, their clothes, and an iota of their soul through their eyes. One time, I was sitting at a wonderful cafe across the same street as an arcane university. I was headed there myself. A tall blond man, only a little shorter than me, wearing fine clothes and not very thin, was standing on the same side of the street as me, staring idly at the gate of the university. I asked him if he was okay, then he smiled at me and said, 'well I want to go to the university.' I asked him why he didn't, and he said 'well I'm having some trouble,' I asked if I could help, and he told me 'I didn't want to look like a fool. I don't know where the admissions office is,' and we both laughed about it and I told him the directions to the office. He thanked me by paying for my meal," he explained. After a moment he continued, folding his hands in front of him and letting his posture deflate a little, "a few minutes later, another man came by and occupied the same spot, staring over at the gate of the campus. This man was somewhat shorter, his back was a little hunched, he was skinny. His clothing was grey and matted with filth, some kind of dust, which also covered his skin. He seemed to be in the middle of a day of hard work. After a few moments staring, I asked him if he was okay, he said 'well I want to go to the university," then Liu put a hand up to his face, letting a moment pass before he continued, "I asked him why he didn't. He laughed sardonically and said, 'well I'm having a little trouble.' I asked him if I could help. He gave me a dirty look, as though I made a bad joke at his expense, then spat in the flowers and kept walking," he kneaded his chin under the shadow of the hood before releasing it and seemingly regarding Apricot again, "do you know why?"

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari
Languages: Common | {Sylvan}

To suddenly hear the Hero's (thus far) silent companion speak so much was rather shocking, especially as his words were unexpected, unlike the earlier denial she'd faced from the Hero. His touch had made her look up in equal surprise. However, it was his riddle that had caught her off-guard the most. She'd ponder about it for a good while, but in the end, she didn't understand him. “If your words are true, then it would be impossible to know, for we cannot see more than their stature, clothes and an iota of their souls. We wouldn't know what drove such a man, we could only guess, but any guess we'd make would come from our own experiences and would therefore be biased, would it not be?” She hoped that was the type of answer he was was looking for. Otherwise, she'd have guessed something along the lines of the man not wishing to ask for aid, being too sceptical, scared or proud. However, she felt like that type of judgement was exactly what this man was trying to warm her against.

Regardless of whether he'd been right or wrong, his words had given her some courage. “Your words have given me the courage to explain some more of my own situation, thank you, truly.” With struggle, she turned towards the Hero again. “Whilst I understand your refusal, I believe you deem me far more important than I truly am. My family and the other Cardinal agreed on my punishment, you would not be interfering in a conflict between them, but merely petition on my behalf towards both. Furthermore, it is likely they have mostly forgotten about me by now, so all I hoped for by asking you to speak on my behalf, was for you to remind them of my existence and perhaps make them wonder that, if I was noticed by a Hero, they might give me another chance. Even so, I now realise how foolish that was of me.”

She was in doubt for another moment, but then she gathered up even more courage. “Please, would you at least tell me why you are here? I will do whatever is in my power to aid you in your goals here, whether that means getting out of your way or risking my life in the dark of these woods again. Without the sun's light to feed me, or Druidic or nature magic as substitute, without magic, without my friends to back me... I can only offer my knowledge of languages, for other than our mother tongue, I have learned the language of Beasts, a modest knowledge of nature and what little Wealth (F) I managed to gather after my punishment. I know it isn't much, but please, use all I can offer as you deem fit.” She'd finalise her request, using [To Lead and Inspire] (mostly on herself) to get the strength to make her statement.

To Lead and Inspire! – Connect E (The See), Insight F, Leadership F, Persuasion F – character uses the love for their nation and their connection to it to inspire those around them to aid their cause. - Grade F – 0 Post Cooldown

Last edited:
Liu realized he was no match for her force of personality rather quickly. She gave her response, and he agreed. Of course one's biases can muddy the waters. For certain, they must be kept in check to maintain one's grasp on any situation. Realizing quickly that she could not see him, he opened his jaw to respond from between his exposed teeth and she began immediately to address Ninelle. He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly and allowed her to speak, the dam breaking forth. Words spilled out, and he was appreciative that she seemed to amend her approach somewhat. Slowly, he turned back to the stalwart fey behind him, bowing again, again quite shallow, this time exhuding an apologetic air. The point she missed is more about the obstacles themselves, which he intended to explain once she finished speaking. After the conclusion of her request, he put his obscured arm out and gestured toward his head, leaning in towards her and whispering, "ah, miss Apricot..."

Once he had her attention, he spoke quietly this time, "well, what you have said is certainly true. The point here, however, is that the second man could have even greater potential than the first, but the first man has fewer obstacles. You know, he was richer, more well connected, he only had to worry about looking silly; his sole obstacle was a mere piece of information. Where should I have started with the second man? Giving him a better job? Resolving his fatigue from hard labor? Connecting him with high society and teaching him the arbitrary skills required to impress them? It would have been too hard to tell me which of his myriad of obstacles would be best to start with as a well-meaning stranger. Similarly," he gestured to Ninelle, "if her problems are more multifarious, you treating your assistance as a bartering tool in a transaction is nothing but another burden, a faux pas," he explained gently, trusting her to figure out a way forward from there. He inclined his head to Apricot, then to Ninelle, whispering "pardon me," then stepping just a little away to watch them continue. He made the noise associated with inhaling and exhaling deeply. Oh, to be young.

Time: Early afternoon
Weather: No wind, chilly/cold, slightly humid
Ninelle watched silently as Euthalia retracted deeper into her shell, apologizing profusely and lowering herself deeper than the ground she lay rooted in. Guilt, bitterness, and pity welled up within the fairy. She was always prone to emotion, and this matter was no different. But after all this, Ninelle could only hold herself back and remain unyielding. She mustn't be swayed by such feelings. The first step towards changing was always the most difficult. The next time... would be easier.

The silent movements of the skeleton caught her eye, bringing forth a slightly bewildered expression, but Ninelle still nodded to show her acquiescence. His kind words and funny little riddle reassured the fairy, both making her glad to have met such a kind soul and that he seemed to be doing fine now. Euthalia's consequent response made Ninelle giggle, not expecting such a logical answer that didn't play along with the usual antics of a riddle at all.

Feeling more light-hearted and at ease with the mood shift, Ninelle was caught off guard when the sylvari sought to seriously address her again. Still, after a moment's surprise, she steadied herself and focused, listening attentively.

"...I see. Your clarification is valued, thank you." Ninelle expressed her words gently as she pondered. Even if the matter was not as serious as she initially thought... vouching for someone in her current position... hm... All initial thoughts on the matter were cut short however, at the sylvari's consequent question.

It was like a lightning bolt had struck her head. "Why am I here? That's right... Why... am I here...?" The fairy mumbled in disbelief, the shock somewhat blurring the latter half of Euthalia's words.

Why am I here? When and why... did I even enter Lodeli?

Amidst all their chattering, Ninelle had completely forgotten about this matter. She listened dazedly to the rest of the sylvari's self-advertising, though her mind wandered frantically, clawing at whatever remnants or hints of memory she could find. The pain of having forgotten something important was all too familiar... she hated it dearly. "I can't remember." She stated quietly, with limp, lifeless wings. "But... there was something important I had to do..."

"Wait..."
After a moment's pondering, the fairy's gaze suddenly snapped back to Euthalia. Darting into the air and hovering just before her, she continued. "Miss Apricot. How did you know to find me here? Who told you I was in Lodeli?" She interrogated swiftly, grasping on to this last straw as if it was a life-saving grace.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

Her attention was drawn back to the Hero's companion, as he called out her name and started whispering. She didn't get it. “The second man refused the offer of aid altogether, so would you not deem him guilty of his own misery? I only managed to survive because I learned to grasp onto any aid extended to me by my friends, when I was at my lowest directly after I was punished.” She didn't exactly get it. “I'm afraid my Common is... lacking.” She had to admit. Whatever he said about Ninelle being multifarious and a faux pas was not something she managed to figure out. “Although I understand that I have been, and might continue to be, a burden.” She admitted, a tone of regret apparent.

She was surprised when the Hero seemed to suddenly question her own presence here. “From what I gathered, the deacon send you here, in order to destroy a plague-bearing heart and rescue a child. They hadn't heard back from you for weeks... I, truthfully, assumed you'd already succeeded and simply decided to stay here to handle the aftermath of whatever that heart might've caused. If... that is not the case, we should do what we can to find the lost child.” She spoke, a renewed sense of urgency in her voice. Even without the Hero's approval, she didn't wish to risk a child being in danger. Nor for a a plague-bearing heart to corrupt the forests, for that matter, but at least with the child she was a tiny bit confident she might be able to aid, whilst against a plague-bearing heart she feared she'd just be in way over her head.

Actually... she probably was with both, with the lack of light here, wasn't she? Even so, she retracted her roots. She'd eaten enough for a while and was ready to try again, should her efforts be useful somewhere, somehow.

Liu chuckled quietly, nodding, realizing his own failure in the endeavor. Reaching back to his more straightforward days, he put it plainly:

"Well I think the faux pas is mine. I wanted to tell you is to find the work first and then ask for the job. Otherwise you would only be a cause for stress," he stated, clasping his covered hands together and hanging them in front of his torso, "but seems something has transpired here." Perhaps straightforward was the way to go. Trying to tease a conclusion out of her wasn't getting him anywhere. It was curious that Ninelle herself wasn't sure what she had been sent to do. If Ninelle was under the effect of some sort of memory-altering condition he could only imagine what in this wild world could have caused it, it explained her bewilderment. At least Apricot didn't bury the lead.

"Is the Chomagra known to cause confusion or lasting memory loss?" he asked her gently, stepping back toward her, away from Apricot.

Last edited:
Time: Early afternoon
Weather: No wind, chilly/cold, slightly humid
Little by little, the pieces of the puzzle were put back together. The deacon, plague-bearing heart and lost child... With each key point, the picture grew clearer, painting a sequence of events that the fairy could only pray was correct enough for her next steps. Greeted by Fei Liu's gentle approach, her memory reparation momentarily stalled as she recalled the incident that led her to meet these two strangers in the first place.

"I must admit I am not the most knowledgeable on the Chomagra. What I know mainly comes from what I've heard from others or read about recently. I am not a native of the See." Ninelle explained a little hurriedly with a shake of her head. Though just as she finished speaking, a sudden thought hit her, and her head snapped back towards Euthalia.

Wait... did she say weeks? The child had remained missing... for weeks? "Oh no... no, no, no." The fairy began anxiously, her hands trembling, as the realization hit that her negligence had very likely led to the death of a child.

"No-I must go." She spat out after a moment's hesitation, suppressing her anxiousness and clenching her trembling fists. Is there any hope? No, there isn't. She couldn't even brainwash herself into believing there was. Regardless of the plague-bearing heart, Lodeli was no place for a child. But even if she could only bring back a corpse, she must go.

"Miss Apricot. I thank you for helping me recall my lost memories, but you must not stay here. Leave this place. It is far too dangerous for your kind even here on the outskirts, not to mention that the heart, and likely the child, lie in the inner rings of Lodeli." The fairy swiftly raised a hand, and pointed towards a direction with fewer trees and brighter sunlight. "Head roughly that way, and you should find civilization again. Although nothing but monsters lives in these woods, for the bounty it brings, there are plenty of small villages and towns dotted around its outskirts." She explained quickly and haphazardly, before dashing back towards Fei Liu.

"You, my saviour." She held onto a bony finger through the cover of his cloak. "I apologize that I could not do more for you, but I hope what I have done was enough to get you started on your journey." The fairy smiled gently behind the cover of her mask, feeling the faint response of mana flowing back through their contact. "Be well, and leave these woods also. It is not safe for you either." She warned with a hurried pace, before darting off deeper into the woods, where the crystals glowed like sharp daggers and the luminous fungi towered and breathed.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

She still wasn't sure what in the world 'faux pas' meant in common, so she just gave it her best guess and figured it'd be safe to ignore. “Thank your for your advice.” She replied, even though she didn't exactly get it all things considered. “A Chomagra?” She recalled information on that. “They cloak themselves, then control someone's mind after making contact through their vines or otherwise to have them walk into their maws. Some are even poisonous. If the vines or eyes of a person are giving off a hue, they're actively under mind control. They can even fire teeth at someone, but it does leave them defenceless afterwards. They cloak or teleport to flee if those tricks fail, as they're fairly fragile. That's... the quickest summary I can give you.” She doubted the Hero would want all details.

She was surprised when the Hero was suddenly in a hurry. More so when it seemed to be due to not having fulfilled her mission yet. “It was the least I could do...” She replied to the memory part, but she felt conflicted. “If I'd had my magic, I'd have gladly followed you and aid you, for the sake of that child and our country... without, I'm afraid you are correct. I'd just.. get in the way.” It was the bitter truth. She just nodded at the directions she'd been given.

Liu nodded his confirmation at her departure. He could see the urgency very clearly and felt no need to hold her back. Though he had his uses, he was aware of his own shortcomings. Though he had the skills to avoid dying, he had difficulty actually solving problems in the world. She opened the door for him nonetheless and he could ask for nothing more. She has her own travails, off to see to something difficult elsewhere, and capable of taking care of herself. Liu bobbed his finger in her grasp as a goodbye and inclined his shoulders toward her. With a gentle wave from the other hand, he bade her farewell by saying, "preserve yourself for the people you can help after this affair. I will remember you. If you ever wish to find me again, ask for someone by the name of Fei Liu the Unbroken. I will welcome you any time. Quite literally for I do not sleep."

He turned to watch her retreating form. After a moment's silence, he turned slightly toward Apricot, "you know, that was the first time I have ever tried to tell someone advice through such a long story, I am sorry it was a bit of a mess," he chuckled, adjusting the strap on his bag so that it fit more closely to him, "fare well, I hope that you can find strength again. One day you will reclaim your heart. I believe becoming a little conniving would do you very well," he advised her, waveing goodbye with a covered hand before disappearing from his spot with a dull thumping sound. He employed his great speed to remove himself from the situation in an instant.

Rewards:
(To grader: picking from prospective titles and/or giving your own is fine, whatever stands out to you as the reader.)

Ninelle
  • [???] (Optional title) Pls gib me title. Positive or negative, it doesn't matter! I will use it!

Fei Liu
  • Magic F (skill acquired - 7pt narrator award)
  • [Hero's Saviour] (Optional title) Character has successfully saved a notable figure in the world. This heroism has rubbed off on them, making them more likely to catch the eye of other heroes or significant individuals.
  • [Magic-touched] (Optional title) Character has felt the flow of magic in their body before they could fully grasp it. Regardless of magic capabilities, they are more capable than most as a temporary magic conduit or vessel.
Euthalia
  • [Awe-struck] (Optional title) Character has met someone they greatly idolize or look up to, and has gained greater mental and emotional resistances to future encounters with such people.
  • [Sun-starved] (Optional title) Character has survived for a significant period of time without solar sustenance, and has gained a greater physical resistance to similar starvation in the future.

Isekai Hell Grade

SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Elvario Elvario Pet Panda Pet Panda

Felt fairly focused and met the needs of the participates. Almost surgical in how it delivered the experience. Euthalia without her companions seems like a more focused version of Euthalia. Good to see Fei Liu doing things since his time in the duchy. I'm a little curious why it seems like one of the heroe's of the Fae See is slumming it in the wilderness in a such a way that nearly got her killed, but it made the rp happen, so we roll with it ^_^

Aftermath:
N/A

Rewards:

Ninelle - 24pts (narration bonus)
optional title acquired [Mana Inserter] - Character has developed a basic know how on mana injection. Less likely to kill people or make their eyeballs pop out from the effort.

Liu - 16pts
  • [Magic-touched] (Optional title) Character has felt the flow of magic in their body before they could fully grasp it. Regardless of magic capabilities, they are more capable than most as a temporary magic conduit or vessel.
  • optional skill upgrade [Magic F] (if upgrade is claimed, add 7pts to earned and spent sections of sheet)
Euthalia - 16pts
  • [Sun-starved] (Optional title) Character has survived for a significant period of time without solar sustenance, and has gained a greater physical resistance to similar starvation in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back