• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Heya folks!

Update: We still have power (some of our neighbors have lost power but they regained it later). We do not have Internet. Still, we are quite fortunate. Little by little, Real Life is returning to normal not only for us but friends, family, neighbors, church, and work, too.

I have been driving a great deal, lending a helping hand where I can, and never have I been so attached to this smartphone. When it sounds, I find myself reaching for it, ready to jump into action again.

I will post when able; I'm just not entirely certain when able will be. Hurricane Irma may be gone from Florida, but she still has a hold over me.

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Me too, but in the meantime, please don't hold the game up just for me. =)

It's not just for you; it's for you and Kaerri. In case you haven't noticed, you guys make up 50% of the player base currently... The other half being Jack who is not very active and Grey who has all but disappeared...

I think we can afford to wait *woof*

I am making plans to refresh the game with the start of next chapter, but I may also have a surprise for this one, still early to tell. Thanks for sticking with it so far.

We haz Internets again! Iz so nice!

Yeah, Wolf, there is no way not to notice Grey's absence. Heck, if memory serves, he never accepted the invitation back into Amaranth after our return to XenForo. *sigh* Such a cool guy, too.

I'm looking forward to what's in store here! =)

I have no firm info on Grey's absence, and I hate to spread rumors so I don't want to say what I have heard. But I would say, unless and until he shows up and says otherwise, we might want to assume he isn't going to show up.

I like that Strength & Honor soundtrack, Dann! It's like something straight out of an old-school RPG. Or a newer-made RPG in the style of an old-school one, since it's not 8-bit :P It really has the perfect mood setting for the scene (^^) *woof*

I'll allow the weekend for Kaerri and Jack to throw in their posts before posting myself. In the meantime, I think it's high time I resumed working on game maintenance... I just remembered that all our character sheets are still a dreadful mess, damn...

Hey all :)

I've redesigned the character sheet template, as demonstrated by our very own Meric King. Please let me know if you have any thoughts, reactions, or suggestions. It's not yet 100% but that's pretty much it. I decided to simplify and reorganize things but I am still not quite satisfied.

For example, I am not sure what to do in situations like the current, where Meric doesn't actually have his weapons on him (save the dagger which is hidden). There's a number of ways one could go about that. Make a note next to each item? Remove the items but list them elsewhere, since I don't want to forget what was supposed to be his tho it might be held on to by someone else, etc. I am overthinking it, I know. Sorry! :( Anyway, be nice if I could hear some feedback before I finalize this and apply it to all characters, since at that point any fundamental change needs to be updated across all the characters one by one...

In other news, I would like to express my sincere hope that we can finish Chapter VI this year. I mean it's ok if we don't, but let's try, as far as it's possible/convenient. But we really ought to complete it this winter! XD It's becoming way too long *woof*

I'd say, for temporary situations like this, we just keep in mind that the character doesn't have certain items on them. Otherwise we/you would be editing the character sheets every time we picked something up and put it down. That's more workable when each player can edit their own sheet, less so when it's the GM doing it not only for all the players but so many NPCs as well. I'd suggest using the character sheet for belongings and standard equipment, and if that's different from a particular scene, a spoiler in the post at the start of the scene (the first one for NPCs, each player character's first post after that for PCs). Or just keep in mind that we're in a diplomatic situation so it's assumed that we don't have weapons unless otherwise stated. (Except Asher, who isn't coming in through the guard posts!)

In the games that I run, I use a parentheses in the inventory slots on the character sheets that note where that item is if it is not on the character.

Ex: Auri's Favorite Cookie Sheet (currently in Maggie's kitchen).

As for the character sheets, I'll have to wait until I get home so I can see it on a bigger screen than this smart phone I'm using. =)

It shrinks remarkably well, actually. Nicely done, Wolf! I wouldn't care to edit it on my phone, but it isn't at all hard to read or navigate.

Thanks, you two. And I just remembered, I will need some basic info for Auri and Maggie such as height weight etc... As shown on Meric's first tab.

The idea is that we eliminate mistakes like someone's eyes being the wrong color (or even changing color :P), or having a taller character tilt their head up to look at a shorter one. So far I've made most use of such things, because I'm narrating, but if we could establish details like these, it would give everyone some courage to use more of such constructions *woof*

I once asked about a tooltip BB code that would let you hover over a word or expression and display some text that is not normally visible (perfect for including descriptions of inventory equipment which are always difficult if not impossible to display without cluttering the space. I never heard back and that was quite a long time ago. Maybe I should ask again / revive the thread. I seem to remember Wiz or someone saying it would be considered. I am sure it's possible, technically.

I find Meric's character sheet to be straight to the point. Farther down in that thread, there is mention of a picture but there isn't one in his character sheet? Is that recoverable?

Thanks, you two. And I just remembered, I will need some basic info for Auri and Maggie such as height weight etc... As shown on Meric's first tab.

Already provided long ago. =) See Auri's character sheet.

Dann sed, "Appearance: Standing just over 2.5 meters tall and weighing just over 400 kilograms, this spry, old drakkar has enormous wings, a long agile tail, and a big round belly with thick arms and legs to get around on. His body is round like an enormous ball." =)

I have edited Auri's character sheet fixing many spacing issues (basically, I tidied it up a little). I gave Auri an eye color (purple, like the text I use for him). =)

Wolf? How should Auri address Elias Ferrani? Does Ferrani hold a title Auri is aware of?

Last thing Auri and I want to do is call him, say, "Mister" when his title is actually, "Lord." =)

Past being flabbergasted at your ability to edit a locked thread, I am grateful for the cleanup. This will make it much easier for me to convert it to the new format *woof*

Meric's image is lost. I can't remember what happened, exactly. I tried to replace it at some point, but I can be really fussy about details, so I haven't been able to choose one that I completely agreed with. Perfectionism is just one of my many faults, eh.

Before this chapter, nobility in Asgard had not really come to play, so I hadn't provided much information on that. I shall have to give this some thought and write a book.

Meanwhile, to answer your question quickly: Auri could freely address Elias Ferrani simply by his first name (or full name), or alternatively as Ser Ferrani if he wanted to be more formal. Though given how much older Auri is, plus the kind of approach Elias took, he is probably expecting Auri to use just his name. He is actually being quite informal - him addressing Auri as Excellency does not contradict that. It's done for multiple reasons.

"Ser", as from medieval Latin texts (pronounced kind of like "sair", not "sir"). George Martin used this in Game of Thrones, so you may already be familiar with it :P

I once asked about a tooltip BB code that would let you hover over a word or expression and display some text that is not normally visible (perfect for including descriptions of inventory equipment which are always difficult if not impossible to display without cluttering the space. I never heard back and that was quite a long time ago. Maybe I should ask again / revive the thread. I seem to remember Wiz or someone saying it would be considered. I am sure it's possible, technically.
We're adding a lot of things for the xF 2.0 update. I'll drop a note in the appropriate place and see if that can be one of them. ^;3^ We may not be adding anything new until then unless it's relatively easy to do (though DWiz surprises us sometimes!)

Past being flabbergasted at your ability to edit a locked thread, I am grateful for the cleanup.
O.o Might have something to do with the HP-ness, or with Dannigan owning his own HPs and permissions carrying over? I can look into it if you want.

"Ser", as from medieval Latin texts (pronounced kind of like "sair", not "sir"). George Martin used this in Game of Thrones, so you may already be familiar with it :P
I've seen it in other fiction, too. Of course I forget exactly where, now... but it wasn't that long ago, I know, and I've been on a Sharon Lee/Steve Miller binge, so probably it's in their Liaden series somewhere.

EDIT: I'd meant to put Maggie's info in and forgot. Here it is!

Posting Color: Teal

Name: Maggie
Race: Human
Sex: Female

Hair: Brown / Shoulder-Length
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'4" (162.56 cm)
Weight: 120 lbs (54.431 kg)

Languages: I don't think I'd ever specified this. Common, certainly. Is there a language used by church people, the way the Catholic church uses Latin? What other languages might make sense?

Alignment: Neutral Good

Thanks for the info and the note-dropping, Kaerri! *woof*

The issue regarding the locked threads is puzzling rather than worrisome. It's not that I mistrust anyone (whom I let join the game in the first place), but locking threads is just my way of declaring read-only content where there's nothing that needs editing by the player, or sometimes when I don't want people breaking my code :P

Creationism in Amaranth didn't go through the same historical process as Christianity in our world, so nothing happened that would cause a Temple-specific language to emerge. It's all meant to be very user-friendly and accessible. Humans brought the religion with them upon arriving to the continent, so at worst some of the religious texts might use archaic words and phrasing, what with being so old. Like ye olde English vs English, rather than English vs Latin. Apart from the scrolls containing Miracles, but that's a special case, as Maggie can attest!

Oh, and by the way Purr Purr , I forgot to mention earlier that while Auri is not really familiar with the Ferrani family, he does know that Elias' father is a Baron, and that his lands are off someplace by the seaside near the border with Eldshaw. The family is so removed from political events that it's no surprise Auri doesn't know more - especially since he's an outsider in Hyerald.

I have reworked the character sheets for Auri, Maggie, Asher, Meric, and Violet. They are actually done, with exceptions like Auri's sheet missing info on learned sorceries and runes (because those handbooks are still being rehauled). Thank you all for your data inputs and opinions.

About the matter of your items not being in your possession, however - I just realized that if I simply make a remark like so: Drakkar Shortsword (currently in Auri's residence in Alicante), then that item is still taking up a slot/space... I mean, what if Auri equips another weapon meanwhile? I figured it's best to simply strike missing items from inventories, keeping track of their whereabouts someplace. I'm just not sure if it's enough for that list to be in my private folder, or if you guys want it within your reach. But then again, it probably doesn't matter. I mean, stuff will get lost or left behind anyway. Imagine if you all suddenly teleported away someplace - are you really going to cry for those Maps of Asgard, Flasks (full of water), or even your weapons, when all that stuff will get replaced anyway? I think it should suffice to simply keep track of important or key items, and disregard anything else that gets lost along the way. Yay?

And by the way, Kaerri and Dann - I edited your last posts to fix your character titles, as updated in the sheets (size and spacing). There's supposed to be three empty rows between the title and the text, just so you know.

Please let me know if everything is alright with your sheets now, or if further adjustments need to be made *woof*

And by the way, Kaerri and Dann - I edited your last posts to fix your character titles, as updated in the sheets (size and spacing). There's supposed to be three empty rows between the title and the text, just so you know.
Works for me! I could never remember, so I kept quoting the previous post, but that was less effective after site transfers when the formatting went wonky.

Also, tooltips for xF 2.0 confirmed ^D^ They're a little glitchy in the current version of xF so they aren't here yet, but they'll work nicely once we update!

omgomgomg HYPE

that reminds me... still no hype cookies :C

but great work so far, can't wait *woof*

does this update have this year's release time by any chance? ^^

Hype cookies are on the list too ^D^

No date yet. Basically when the xF devs are finished with it. It's in Beta right now.

Hype cookies! I miss them.

Heya folks! I meant to post today, but my hyperkinectivity is really acting up and I can't really think straight enough. I'll try again when I'm better. Which should be soon. Until then, take care and have fun! =)

I apologize for the slowness, guys! The last ten days or so were not good for me *sigh*

I'll try to post more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back