• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

I‘m really sorry for disappearing for the past few months. A lot has happened to me, but I’m feeling better now. I think I am ready to make a comeback. I just have forgotten where I was. If anyone could give me a summary of what was going on, that would be great. I really appreciate your patience.

I‘m really sorry for disappearing for the past few months. A lot has happened to me, but I’m feeling better now. I think I am ready to make a comeback. I just have forgotten where I was. If anyone could give me a summary of what was going on, that would be great. I really appreciate your patience.
A small group ( Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait 's Carn, my Maggie, and NPC Laurolf) found your Faron and NPC Aron unconscious (and their commander dead, I'm afraid). We rescued Faron and Aron, but upon waking, Aron advised that an ally of the Sorceress, Anna Elena Rhiannon, was somewhere close and was the reason Aron had been chained to the table (and apparently the victim of some sort of experiment). Hearing that, we decided to reunite outside with the rest of the party (NPCs Dina, Violet, and Ingvar), but found them under dragon attack. Elsewhere in the courtyard are another two NPCs: the hunter Varys, standing with a larger man we don't yet know.

Intent on holding the dragon's attention, Carn has advised the archers present to aim for the wings to limit the dragon's mobility, while telling our half of the party to retreat so as to give the archers a better shot. Maggie previously asked our half of the party to stay close to each other so she can better protect them against the inevitable dragon-fire.

Even better lol, and don't feel bad *woof*

Ideally people mention when they're away, but I realize stuff happens and well, we do what we can about it. You got a great summary from Kaerri, couldn't have said it better myself ^^

Planning to get things moving again this Friday *rrrrr*

Kaerri Kaerri and Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait I guess those prepared actions are called for after all, huh? Especially since Carn seems to be on top of the dragon's shit list now *rawrrr*

A good moment for Rekai Leon Rekai Leon to get a post in, start getting back into it. Besides Kaerri's great summary, you don't need to look farther back than my latest couple of posts. I need to know what Faron is doing as it becomes clear that the dragon is attacking. Maggie hasn't advertised her plan to shield everyone involved, so for all I know, some of you might have different reactions to what's happening.

Here's a link to the current map in case it got lost (pretty high res so you might want to open it in a new window or click to zoom)

Oh dear, sh**'s really going down now xD
I reckon Carn won't be blocking that fire blast with his shield anytime soon, at least, not on his own. Will have to rely on Maggie for the brunt of it. Kaerri Kaerri
Also, Rekai Leon Rekai Leon we might be needing another fire golem from Faron for good measure ;)
Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr How much force does Carn's force magic have behind it? I imagine Carn would test his magic's limits by seeing how far he could punt a small boulder with his magic. Checking for in case the dragon charges, or if Carn could help by creating a back blast against the fire.

It's been years now since I made up Force Magic and it didn't get enough use in-game for its applications to be fully tested and adjusted, but I originally intended it more as a way to augment your existing abilities - or so I imagined that people would use it for. For a mage, it could be used to make projectile spells more powerful than normal, for example. Though it would be most popular with martial arts practitioners or swordsmen, since being able to make some of your physical attacks suddenly three times more powerful would be incredibly useful in a fight. It also works *woof*

You could use it to easily kick down a wooden door. You could also make thrown/kicked items act as if they were launched with far more power (certainly enough to cause harm). Though remember it's not levitation, Force Magic is applied to something, usually via direct touch. Defensively, you could counter-cast it so that your hands or shield or some surface resists another force acting on it, to block attacks.

I wouldn't try to use Force Magic to block a dragon charging at me, unless of course I had no other choice (tho with the physique and weight of a drakkar, it becomes possible, but still not something you'd want to do, ideally). It might work against tail attacks or head lunges, especially in combination with a shield or weapon, but it would certainly take quite a bit of energy. Remember that dodging an attack is also a viable strategy, and costs nothing compared to directly blocking (whether or not you use Force Magic).

Right now Carn is ahead of Kaerri, so consider that he doesn't know exactly where she is or what she is about to do - tho he might expect she is right behind and going to cast a shield. So he could count on that, or else act in a way that doesn't assume the sudden protection of a magical barrier. As for creating a back blast, I'm not sure I understand how that would work, but having already witnessed a Great Divine Shield in action against dragonfire a minute ago, it's obvious that it more than suffices - however your party has a limited number of such Miracles, and they are heavily dependent on positioning. It's very lucky you get two people able to cast it *woof*

That's all the info I need :^)

Now that my understanding of force magic is closer to Carn's understanding, the use for the force magic would be for a close combat emergency (as desperate as it could be). Definitely creating a ranged backblast (or some kind of "whoosh" against the fire) would be highly improbable with the current setup 3_3
Imma have Carn rely on Maggie for the protection. Carn would've known what kind of miracles Maggie had while at they were at the keep. Though, he probably doesn't have any awareness of Faron's capabilities (which will probably change soon) :3
Carn will just be waiting for the fire to die down. Also, both me and Carn are kicking ourselves for not thinking to bring an enchanted javelin or something T_T

Something I left out of my earlier summary: when we first ran outside and saw the dragon, it was breathing fire at the other group, and we saw Ingvar shielding that entire group. Also, I'm pretty sure Maggie has used at least the single-person shield miracle in Carn's experience (possibly on Carn himself? can't remember right now). So I, too, believe he knows she can protect them at least for a little while. (And she is going to do that, I just haven't written it up yet.)

Mhm, well one of the principal lessons I'm taking away from Amaranth, in case I ever get to launch another RP (with my track record, lol), is that next time I'm making everyone start at the proverbial level 1 and slowly acquire abilities over time. I think this would be more enjoyable and easier to understand, both from the perspective of using one's abilities as well as, perhaps more importantly, understanding one's character - rather than jumping in a world where your character has already had decades (if not a couple centuries in some cases...) to roam around and supposedly has all this power and experience which you, in real life, do not. Experienced players probably don't find that challenging, but I find that it can be. It's very hard to make yourself think from the perspective of someone completely different than you are *woof*

Combat turn updated *woof*

Rekai Leon Rekai Leon please note that summoning a golem is a two-part action, or better said takes two turns. So Faron is assumed to be mid-summoning right now, and will have the golem up on next turn. Also don't forget that the golem is entirely dependent on instructions, and doesn't act on its own! And finally, I know that you wrote Faron getting behind Maggie, but he really wouldn't have to, in order to benefit from the shield, since the Miracle covers 15ft around Maggie (therefore engulfing both Faron and Carn). Not that it wouldn't be funny seeing a drakkar turning tail and quickly hiding behind a small priestess 😇

And here is our new map.

Kaerri Kaerri Great Divine Shield is a channeled Miracle, but I do not know if Maggie dropped it after the dragonfire subsided or not. If she did, you might consider some other way to help Faron, who is currently mid-casting his golem sorcery.

Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait oh and I just realized, since Carn is right next to Faron, those couple dozen feet of heavy duty dragon tail are going to be his problem as well *rrrrr*

Kaerri Kaerri Great Divine Shield is a channeled Miracle, but I do not know if Maggie dropped it after the dragonfire subsided or not. If she did, you might consider some other way to help Faron, who is currently mid-casting his golem sorcery.
Maggie did not drop it, being uncertain of the dragon's plans (or how long it can keep the fire coming, for that matter). So hopefully it can help against the dragon's tail attack too?

Kaerri Kaerri Carn and the rest of the melee fighters will be there for emotional support while Maggie holds the shield : P
Whenever she drops it, Carn (and maybe Laurolf) will both be focusing on deflecting any attacks the best they can.

Rekai Leon Rekai Leon Carn will also provide support in case Faron needs some protection while puppeting the golem

Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr Carn'll be cozying up behind Maggie's shield xD btw, just for further detail, are the others aiming for the wings of the dragon? I'm a bit curious

Mhm, well one of the principal lessons I'm taking away from Amaranth, in case I ever get to launch another RP (with my track record, lol), is that next time I'm making everyone start at the proverbial level 1 and slowly acquire abilities over time. I think this would be more enjoyable and easier to understand, both from the perspective of using one's abilities as well as, perhaps more importantly, understanding one's character - rather than jumping in a world where your character has already had decades (if not a couple centuries in some cases...) to roam around and supposedly has all this power and experience which you, in real life, do not. Experienced players probably don't find that challenging, but I find that it can be. It's very hard to make yourself think from the perspective of someone completely different than you are *woof*
Yes, but that has the drawback of making it difficult to get everyone in the same timeline. For example, Faron would have to wait for over a century of in-game time for Carn and Maggie to be born >_<
Also don't forget that the golem is entirely dependent on instructions, and doesn't act on its own!
Yep. From my imagination, if Faron wants to control the golem, he has to focus his mind on it. That is, he would not be able to use other attacks.

So sorry everyone, I spaced out due to some IRL stuff and also because I failed to realize people were actually waiting for explanations, I was just like "huh no one pasted after me yet..." *whine*

Maggie did not drop it, being uncertain of the dragon's plans (or how long it can keep the fire coming, for that matter). So hopefully it can help against the dragon's tail attack too?
If she's still channeling the shield, then there's nothing to worry. The range is 15ft, so your small group is entirely within the confines of the shield. I think Maggie only received the Great Divine Shield recently in a previous chapter, so she wouldn't have had much experience with it in order to reliably test its limits, and thus she might reasonably be uncertain here - however seems better than the alternatives. Also, given how Miracles work off of inner strength/energy and faith, and Maggie does know her own limits in that regard, I think she could fully expect to tank such a hit, even if she can't predict exactly how much energy it will cost. You can build your post around that *woof*

Carn'll be cozying up behind Maggie's shield xD btw, just for further detail, are the others aiming for the wings of the dragon? I'm a bit curious
Not the first time you've asked, and it's very reasonable thinking of course, especially from a logical perspective and considering none of you have any experience fighting dragons. However, we seem to be learning that it's not quite as effective as you'd expect it to be - either because parts of the wings are tough enough not to be pierced, or the angle of impact is causing arrows to deflect, or when they do hit, a small, arrow-sized gap in the huge wings isn't meaningful overall (it might take many such hits to actually get to a point where the dragon's ability to fly becomes limited or crippled altogether, or at least sufficient hits to important parts of the wings).

Note that apart from the initial swoop, the dragon hasn't used its aerial abilities yet, but continues to be very dangerous while grounded as well - this might be the reason why some of the experienced archers like Violet are opting to keep trying to score a critical hit on its head or lower body, though some arrows have hit the wings as well. I think it's safe to say you will need more than arrows to deal with this, though they are proving a good distraction even if they don't do real damage, and obviously it's better than just standing there doing nothing. Also note that whether or not the defensive and offensive capabilities of this dragon are typical for dragons in general in Amaranth, or just typical for the type of dragon, or even solely unique to this one dragon is unclear, given how the Chosen have no experience with dragons at all. However I did repeatedly emphasize its apparent cunning and other details about its behavior which are worrisome even to the most uninformed among you, when you consider all that you know about the beast and what it's done so far. This dragon is actually a very serious threat, you are lucky to have two Divine Shields to hide behind, even if the number of times you can do this is limited...

Yes, but that has the drawback of making it difficult to get everyone in the same timeline. For example, Faron would have to wait for over a century of in-game time for Carn and Maggie to be born >_<
This apparent drawback is neutralized by making everyone be about the same age ^^ Perhaps it is slightly less interesting, but you have to admit the difficulty of playing as a centuries old being when in real life you have a couple of decades worth of experience. In either case, in the future I will probably enjoy a game where everyone starts off inexperienced and unlocks powers and skill together along the journey, more of a classical approach *woof*

As for controlling constructs such as the golem, I did not write it with the intention of the owner having to expend all of their focus to control its actions. Originally I imagined the orders would have to be verbal, actually, because this presents a small vulnerability in that your character could be prevented from talking somehow, or from being heard by the golem at least. So I think that's how I am going to be running in general, however since you are the only one (of the PCs) who will be using this type of sorcery, I am fully open to you deciding that in Faron's unique case, he has managed to learn how to control his constructs purely using mental focus, however he does need to stop what he's doing for a few seconds (a round) in order to give an instruction. Let me know if this is what you want, then *woof*

Also don't forget the golem as an artificial construct has no real intelligence and that instructions must be simple and given one at a time (though in your posts you can obviously queue up multiple actions like you can for your character in general). Be careful not to have that thing do something stupid lol, which it is likely to do, since it _is_ stupid *rrrrr*

So sorry everyone, I spaced out due to some IRL stuff and also because I failed to realize people were actually waiting for explanations, I was just like "huh no one pasted after me yet..." *whine*
Something else that would help... actually getting alerts for posts after mine... *glares at the alerts system*

Sorry Wolf, I had no idea Rekai had posted, much less you. I will add Amaranth to my RP-reply queue! (Which unfortunately has been much delayed for mental health reasons but I fully intend to get caught up this week(end).

Yikes. No worries, though I did expect to have something to reply to upon my return from Germany, having been unavailable for a week *woof*

*hugs and pets Wolf’s head*
I kinda haven’t had anything to work on at the moment yet, so I have been waiting for others to post more >_<

I'll get something out today to get the ball a rollin'
Got finished with an early final and am ready to post again :>
*Bobs head up and down*

btw, has anyone seen dungeon meshi on netflix?

Another question (but related to the RP), did the literature about dragons have anything about potential weak points in the dragon's scales? Got the idea from Dungeon Meshi.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry. :/ I didn't log in for a few days. And then I still didn't log in for a few days more. And then I skidded along in a patch of not logging in and not doing much of anything creativity-wise and now I've got over a hundred alerts and apparently "a few days" somehow turned into over a month and catching up feels more overwhelming than I'd been afraid of. I'll do my best but I don't know how good that's going to be, if any good at all.

I'm really sorry. :/ I didn't log in for a few days. And then I still didn't log in for a few days more. And then I skidded along in a patch of not logging in and not doing much of anything creativity-wise and now I've got over a hundred alerts and apparently "a few days" somehow turned into over a month and catching up feels more overwhelming than I'd been afraid of. I'll do my best but I don't know how good that's going to be, if any good at all.
Kaerri Kaerri Lady of mine, anything you almost to put your good heart into will turn out just fine. =)

As for posting? Maggie will help The Chosen show this oversized draconic bozo what's up! =)

kittens GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back