• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Light in a Lonely Galaxy

Fishman Lord

ULTIMATE AI GOD
Earthkind has changed much over its history. Tens of thousands of years ago, Earthkind was but one species, the baseline human, Homo Sapiens. However, in the year 507 B.E., or the year 2093 C.E. by the old calendar, everything changed. The first truly intelligent, human level, sapient AI had been created. This changed everything, as man was no longer alone in his ventures. Genetic engineering was becoming more and more prevalent, and so within the coming centuries the first human-derived species began to arrive. People designed to live underwater and in the low-gravity colonies of Mars and the Moon joined the baseline human. Soon, engineering reached a point that species like chimps and dolphins and dogs could be made into intelligent species, and these new super-animals joined the quickly growing ranks of Earthkind. In 0 E.E., or 2600 C.E., the first interstellar colony ship launched to Proxima Centauri, and Earthkind further solidified its place as an advancing civilization. Within 2500 years, the fledgling interstellar civilization had already begun work on megastructures, and a Dyson Swarm surrounded Barnard's Star by 3000 E.E., or 5093 C.E., which was used as a Matrioshka Brain by a hyper-intelligent AI. Earthkind continued to spread, limited only by the speed of their ships and the speed of light, and after ten thousand years since the first Proxima Centauri colony ship, humanity had found many worlds with non-intelligent life and had detected transmissions from several other interstellar civilizations of truly alien beings. The sapients of Sol established the Inner Order around Earthkind's early colonies, now hyper-advanced worlds utilizing megastructures and extremely advanced tech. The farthest colonies of the Earthen Expanse were often at as low a tech level as the original colonists from ten thousand years ago. Some were even more primitive, having reverted to low-tech societies for various reasons. Over the next 50,000 years many, many things happened, but Earthkind made physical contact with true xenosapients, some equally advanced, some less or more. In the galactic core and one segment of the Perseus Arm, two hyper-advanced civilizations lay, peaceful but isolationist, forcing Earthkind to stay out. Earthkind continued to advance, and by 120,000 E.E. several super-AIs and civilizations had created Alcubierre Warp Drives, although they were still unfortunately limited by the speed of light. However, they were the fastest travel in existence, almost reaching the speed of light. However, only a few civilizations had them and the energy costs were very high.

Around 120,000 E.E., something happened in the frontier of the Earthen Expanse: the great Von Neumann Crisis. The Von Neumann Crisis started when a construction probe sent to a system to self-replicate and build infrastructure for incoming colonists malfunctioned. It began building only copies of itself, which in turn began building copies of themselves, and so on until the chain reaction was out of hand. Over many "generations", certain probes' code would "mutate", causing them to build the next generation slightly differently. As this continued, a kind of machine evolution took place as different varieties of the probe competed with eachother for resources and energy. Soon there was a whole interplanetary machine ecosystem of sorts. While this kind of machine ecosystem had been accidentally created before, it was usually confined to a single planet or was specially contained in a specific environment. This time, however, there was no observer or containment. As resources became less easily accessible in their own system, some of the probe's descendants launched to other star systems. They began ravaging those systems for resources, and the chain reaction grew deadlier. They attacked orbital habitats and ships to gain resources, and even attacked planets with lander variants to take what they had. The true crisis had begun. Over the next tens of thousands years, the descendants of that single probe spread like a tumor across the Earthen Expanse, wreaking havoc and destroying civilizations as they evolved more and more. Because of interstellar delays, the status of the crisis varies between systems: some may have successfully fought off the probes, others may have succumbed, some may still be fighting them right now, and others don't even know that there's a crisis happening halfway across the galaxy from them.

Now, we finally reach modern times: 154,146 E.E., more than a hundred and fifty thousand years since Earthkind first sent a ship to colonize a world beyond their own small, flickering star. The Earthen Expanse is a hugely diverse and disconnected place, limited by the speed of light, preventing any true united civilization. The baseline human is nearly extinct, almost entirely replaced by his artificial and genetically engineered descendants. Those few remaining groups of unmodified homo sapiens are really more like subspecies, as even the king of the stars is not exempt from natural selection and a hundred and fifty thousand years on foreign worlds certainly enhances that process. Old Earth is but a most distant memory for most, as Earthen civilization has existed fifteen times longer or more among the stars than on that ancient, advanced planet. Sapients are far more diverse than they ever could have been on Earth, both culturally and biologically. In the early years, only a single Basque-majority colony ship ever left Earth itself, but now languages descended from Basque are more diverse than all of the languages of the 21st century C.E. Languages descended from bigger languages like English, Spanish, and Chinese are mindbogglingly diverse. By now, Earthkind even has footholds on the closest dwarf galaxies, and still continues to expand.

In this strange and expansive interstellar network, countless people live their lives in countless ways. Many live in post-scarcity societies, free to live and enjoy their lives with little responsibility. Others live in the rugged parts of the frontier, experiencing a life with true difficulty but also true reward. Many find their homes boring and without adventure and take to the stars, locked in cryosleep for entire lifetimes so that they can see the galaxy. Others still wish to expand the Earthen Expanse even further, and set up new colonies on empty worlds. Some sapients, like the hyper-AIs inhabiting Matrioshka brains and the alien species that have joined Earthkind, live their lives and see the world in ways a baseline human can't even comprehend.

You are one of these countless sapients in the great Earthen Expanse. You are a member of the crew of the interstellar starship Star Maker, named after a book more than a hundred and fifty thousand years old. You and your compatriots, both AI and biological, travel from star to star as merchants, explorers, and adventurers. You are explorers, for you seek out systems long lost or never seen, or worlds that have been isolated by the speed limit of light itself. You are merchants, for in a world where basic communication with nearby stars takes decades, information is just as valuable as material resources (though you trade those between systems as well). You are adventurers, meeting people from cultures with massive variation and differences, and helping them with what they need (for a price, of course). Welcome to the journeys and experiences of the interstellar ship Star Maker.
StarMaker.png
(gigantic thanks to Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm for designing and illustrating this spectacular ship)

Navigation:

CS page
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/light-in-a-lonely-galaxy-cs.336246/

OOC
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/light-in-a-lonely-galaxy-ooc.336245/

Last edited:
Isak slowly opened his eyes. Where was he? What was this place? Who was he? As he lay in bewilderment for a few moments, everything came back. He was a traveler on the starship Star Maker. He had been in cryosleep for many years while they travelled to their next destination. He had done this many times before. With a sigh of relief, he slowly stood up, despite his chilled, aching bones.

Isak had never gotten used to waking up from cryosleep, no matter how much he did it. He still felt cold and a bit disoriented, and he nearly tripped as he stood up. When he was fully standing, a voice came in through his cybernetic ear. It was the ship's captain AI, Bvalltu. "Good to see you up, Isak. We've nearly reached our destination. I've been in contact with the inhabitants for the past couple years, and they seem very friendly. Can you come to this room?" While Bvalltu hadn't stated any specific location vocally, Isak knew the one that was being indicate immediately thanks to a direct neural interaction. Bvalltu continued speaking. "I'd prefer to brief all the crew at once, so we'll all be meeting here. Good chance for you all to socialize after 128 years apart, stretch your legs, all that." Isak responded with a quick "Alright. Thanks, Bvalltu." and started making his way there.

Isak made his way to the indicated room. There were already a few people up and talking, but the majority were absent, still being awakened or making their way to the briefing room. It might take thirty minutes to an hour for everyone to gather. Isak wished Bvalltu would just brief everyone through their various terminals and neural links, but the AI was a bit old-fashioned and liked to gather everyone for these events.

Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm kursku kursku Tarmagon Tarmagon General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch Keltoi Keltoi

Taermor woke with a grin upon his face, lifting the moods of the three Karugan standing to attention before his cryo pod. They had dreaded the thought of angering their commander as they took him out of his deep sleep.

As soon as he lifted himself out of his pod, the Karugans thumped their chests with both right arms, a salute in their culture. Taermor returned it, then set about equipping his chitin armouring. It wouldn't do for anyone but a Karugan to see another without his forge-tempered armour.

"What are our orders, Wryard?" The Krin implored, though he already knew the answer. He picked up a wicked, ugly looking knife from the electronic locker beside his pod, strapping it to his left leg.

"The crew is to gather for a briefing sir. We are to stand guard, while you are to attend, Taermor'Krin. Ael Fuerha." Wryad'Wrin, a rank below Krin, thumped his chest again, before marching off with the other two Karugan guards.

As Taermor at last put on his mask, he looked around him. Karugan forgers were quick to run to the forge room as soon as they were on their feet. But Taermor was a Krin, not a forger. He had a duty to the Star Maker, so it was straight to the briefing he headed. As he passed through the lengthy corridors, Taermor noticed how people barely spared him a glance, despite how different he looked to the other races onboard. As trivial as it was, it pleased him immensely. It meant his Karugans were accepted as part of the crew, and that was something he could be proud of.

When he entered the room people seemed to be headed, which he also assumed to be where the briefing was, (his kind were not fond of implants or whatever devices other likes to put in their ears) he took his place on the far wall, leaning against the wall, watching every person that entered the doorway. But what interested him most was what Captain Bvalltu would announce this time. This would be his first time actually commanding as a Krin, and he was eager to begin.

Last edited:
Maerioc's eyes snapped open. Then closed again, crawling out the cryo-casket and swinging his legs out to the deck. As he landed he head took a grimace as the shock shot through his bones up to neck. "WOAH" he shouted as pain rocked through his body. "Now thats a wake up. Morning captain." He said as the Captain requested his presence, knowing full well time was irreverent in space, to him you woke up in the morning and slept in the evening. "Be there soon, just gotta grab my helmet. You better not quip about it again." He walked over to his helmet and put on some other unnecessary items of clothing and grabbed one of the ships interfaces. "Can you give me some calculations to work out as I head over Bvalltu? Gotta get my cognitive functions to wake up, damn implants must be allergic to Cryo or something." he requested as he set off, snapping his fingers as he aproached doors to 'open' them, despite the fact they were going to open regardless and at the exact moment needed.

As he walked he cheerily greeted people he passed, a welcome to those already awake and an annoyance to those that awoke as he did, a fact he cherished. As he did all this he was rattling through ship calculation, not that they needed to be done. Bvalltu had already completed them and, if they were 'left' for Maerioc to do, Bvalltu would no doubt triple (or more) check them all anyway. But he liked it and he was certain it helped get everything working to speed. Once he reached the room he took a moment to compose himself, put on a cheesy smile and burst forth, "Morning folks! The Lord of Skytown is ready to work. So whats the Brief Cap?"

People began to slowly trickle into the meeting room. Isak recognized all of them to varying degrees. Cryosleep could often leave you dazed and mix up your memories for a bit, and socializing could really help speed the recovery progress. Isak began speaking to an AI, Sio Lian Ast. To anyone else, it would look like he was talking to thin air, but on this ship nobody batted an eye because it was clear you were talking to an AI. "Hey, Lian, how's it going?" Lian responded in a voice that could belong to a near-Old Standard human female through his cybernetic ear. While AIs were genderless, they often assumed the role of one gender for various reasons. "Hello, Isak. I was just rebooted a couple minutes ago. I wish Bvalltu would just brief us individually instead of these big group meetings, but he does what he does, I suppose. Those two horses we picked up in the last system are apparently having trouble with the cryosleep wake up, so I don't think they'll be here for the briefing. How are you?" "I'm fine, still recovering a bit from unfreezing. I'm curious to see what's in this system, the transmissions we got when we departed were rather vague." "I agree. I have to put all my processing power towards the rockets for a bit, I'll talk to you again once the briefing's started." "Alright, see ya Lian."

As the conversation with Lian ended, Isak noticed the creature called Taermor enter the room. Taermor and his kind always fascinated Isak, as despite being human-descended they were radically different from any person and showed how far genetic engineering could go from an original form. Taermor was a high-ranking commander on the ship, but on the Star Maker all were treated as equals no matter their rank. While certain cultural norms and such would sometimes overcome this and some would act as inferior or superior to those within their own culture, generally all most people treated others as equals. Isak was a bit nervous, but he made sure it was only inward and not outward. He approached Taermor. "Hey, Taermor! How are you doing?"
Keltoi Keltoi

Taermo looked up as he heard his name called, watching as the speaker walked towards him, slightly amused at the trace of uncertainty on the caller's face.
"I am doing quite well. My kind does not suffer much from Cryosleep, I would have you know, so I am feeling very good. And how are you, Isak, keeping up well? I hear cryo can be murder for other races."

Taermor folded his upper arms, while his lower left hand laid on the hilt of his knife. This was not a threat in any way, just a habit. It felt reassuring to have some weapon within reach. He reached out with his lower right arm to shake hands, but was interrupted by someone else calling out.

"Morning folks! The Lord of Skytown is ready for work. So whats the Brief Cap?" Maerioc nearly shouted. Taermor chuckled lightly, and turne back to Isak.

"Seems like he's eager. On that matter, do you have any idea about what Bvalltu wants to tell us?" Taermor'Krin asked, his five emerald eyes settling on the pale humanoid in front of him.

Fishman Lord Fishman Lord General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch

A slightly hoarse male voice came from behind Isak:
"If I had to guess, he's probably going to brief us on what the locals want from their visitors."

Lettli walked over to his two crewmembers. Despite just coming out of cryo a few minutes ago, his posture was already firm as that of a captain ready for action; he was used to this, besides, it was a healthy walk from the Cryo Section to the First Habitat, anyway.
His father had the idea of forcing him to carry his youngest sister, Sil, for a "work day" of sorts so he had some weight to carry as well. It was a pain in the ass getting Sil past the microgravity corridors, since many non-crew passangers like to use them for "zero-g sports" after waking, and she wanted to join.

The young svessi held Len's left hand more firmly than usual, as the five-eyed alien soldier seemed to have put her on edge. Her rather long headtalons hanging from a turban headband dashed around as she tried to hide behind Lettli.
"No, Sil, the alien soldier isnt here to bite off your face. Neither is anyone is this ship!" he said while forcing her back to his left side. "My apologies. The family wants her following my steps, so I have to bring her to these meetings..."
With the interruption out of the way, he put his right hand behind his back closed as a formality; he'd put both of them behind him, but he couldnt risk letting go of Sil.
"Captain Len Lettli. I reckon you're in one of the diplomatic teams?" he questioned the two.

Fishman Lord Fishman Lord Keltoi Keltoi

Isak turned around to greet the newcomer. "Yes, I'm one of the diplomats here, although I'm really more of a historian. My name is Isak." He noticed the child accompanying the svessi and smiled. "Is she training to have your position? Was this her first time in cryosleep or had she done it before?"

Isak turned around again, this time to face Taermor. "Yes, for a lot of us it involves temporary memory loss and a pretty nasty chill for a while. Even after all the times I've done it I can never really get used to it." Isak reached into his pocket and felt one of his most cherished artifacts. It was a fractal cross, made of strong and light materials and originating from his home. It was a relic of their old religion which they had abandoned, but it still held value to him. "Bvalltu says he's been in contact with the inhabitants for a few years now, so I would say he's probably going to tell us a bit about the locals and maybe what they want from us."
Keltoi Keltoi Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm

Neither of them were paying immediate attention to him, so he let his eyes roll a bit out of slight annoyance of what Isak just repeated.
Yes. Like I just said 5 seconds ago....

"Well, the effects depend a lot with every species, but it tends towards 'bad' for most. It's hard to get aclimatized to the thawing procedure."
He gently shook Sil's hand, remembering that she was still shaking a bit from the thawing procedure.
She was young enough not to have a Common Name of her own, the two-sillable name every svessian gets after becoming spoken of by his or her social groups, but she allready stood at nearly half his height, even if he was never know for being tall. It must have been Len's mother spending too much time in her 0g lab room when she was suposed to be on pregnancy leave.

"Yes, this is her first time, and I'm impressed that she got in shape fast enough to come with me. I guess the family chose her for a reason. Yes, I'm the current 'captain' of the family, and if nothing unusualy atrocious happens, she will be the next."
Meanwhile, Sil stared around taking the sights like a curious cat.

He turned to the intimidating Karugan. It just hit him that he had him on his ship once, or at least one of his kin. Not realy knowing how karugan salutes work, he just bowed slightly.
"Officer. How are your men, having any problems restarting your equipment? One hundred and...." he briefly cheked the data-bracelet on his free hand, "twenty eight years of inactivity can create a lot of nightmares when you dont store your gear properly."

Kthara hated cryo. Worse, he hated the waking from cryo. Wondering how many years he had lost this time, wondering if his home still existed in any form he would recognize, wondering if his family line still traveled in any form save himself. There was nothing to be done for it though. His Khan had commanded, and he had obeyed. Just for a moment, he wondered if Z'thiree was still alive, much less the Khan, but it mattered not. He had sworn, and no matter who was Khan, until he was commanded otherwise, this was his lot. Including the hated cryo.

Attempting to shake off the bone-deep chill that always seemed to linger after a waking, Kthara found his armor still stowed at the foot of his unit. Moving with the surety of long practice, he drew on his shipboard armor and checked that his defargo was secure in its sheath. After a moments thought, he decided not to head to the armory and draw his pistol, there was no need...

A message from the ship's Large Claw, captain the other crew called it, but Kthara would always think of the being that lived within the ship's circuitry as a Large Claw, interrupted his contemplation. It seemed that it was time to discover where he had woken this time, and who had woken with him. Acknowledging Bvalltu's summons with a flick of one ear, thanking the powers that the AI could read his physical cues as easily as another Valknir through the ships cameras, Kthara headed to the indicated chamber. Entering, he found the room already occupied by several beings, most of whom he had already met or seen about. Nodding a curt greeting to the room in general, he made his way around the perimeter of the room, leaning against the wall opposite, what was that thing called, oh yes, a Karugan, and waited for the briefing to begin.

With five eyes, Taermor could not miss the Valknir's gesture towards him, and returned it with a small wave of his lower right arm, before turning back to Isak, Lettli and Sil, saluting to the older Svessi by thumping his chest with both right fists. He followed it up with a distinct optical dimming (where the light in one of his eyes goes out, serving the same purpose as a wink) to the younger one, Sil.

"Trouble? So far, I have only seen our blades, and they have not rusted or dulled. That is good Karugan workmanship there." He replied, and unsheathed his combat knife. "Still has an edge. As for our firearms, my Wrin, or Lieutenant as you might call him, should take care of that. If there were any problem, our forgers would probably fix it within minutes, should we be so unlucky. My apologies if I ramble, my people are overly-find of our forges, I am told."

Sol's flames, Bvalltu isn't in any particular hurry. But I shouldn't be surprised, many of the crew have yet to arrive. Taermor'Krin thought to himself, then noticed something familiar about Lettli. Could they have met previously, back a hundred and twenty years ago? It was not unlikely, afterall, they were both crew of the Star Maker. Even so, he tried to pick out more details

"Captain Len Lettli, have we met before? I cannot recall, but it nags at me. I may be wrong, the aftershocks of Cryosleep may have affected me in a different way."

Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm Fishman Lord Fishman Lord Tarmagon Tarmagon General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch

The young miscreant over heard the conversation about the quality of the weapons and, after a small chuckle, interrupted. "Nawt to do with jack all. They get kept in Quality storage in low atmosphere and the AI keep a damn good eye on 'em. You think they gonna let your weapons rust away? We on a spaceship, not living in a backwater warehouse or something, no disrespect to your, forgers. Hi, by the way, I'm the Lord of Skytown. Who are you lot? I mean I am probably meant to know but, well you know how the brain is after you wake up!" he said, pointing the last part at Lettli as he moved to give him a 'punch' to the shoulder.

He tapped his boot against his helmet a couple times. "Any of you know the ETA on arrival? I cant wait to get out meeting some folk. Especially if it gets dangerous!" he said with a slightly unnerving laugh. "Get you and your lot by my side no doubt?" He said to Taermor "Defending the crew as we sprint outta there, runnin' and gunnin'?"
Keltoi Keltoi Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

Pausing her sightseeing for a moment, Sil noticed the signal from the big alien towards her and seemed to start shaking just slightly more. Her pupils were now dilated, making her look like a cat about to be thrown into a pool.

Meanwhile, Len scratched his chin with his clawed hand, not for any itch, since svessi have plates covering their faces. He got used to doing this when puzzled. Too much time with all the soft-skinned aliens, perhaps. Habits.

"Well. What I remenber is that one of your kind was onboard my shiph, the Hailed Scimitar, once." he took a second to catch himself failing to pronouce the p again. Pronouncing p's, m's and b's is commonly a challenge for untrained svessians, and it seems he still had some practice to make.

"Ship. Sorry. Do you happen to rec---"
Lettli was interrupted by what appeared to be one of the old-fashioned humanoids they picked up recently.

"Nawt to do with jack all. They get kept in Quality storage in low atmosphere and the AI keep a damn good.."
And one of those with the funny ways of speaking, too. But even with all the time near other races, he found something on the man that was harder to process than usual.
Leather. Who still uses that for clothing? And what's with that punch in the shoulder?
He shook his head. K-1 colonies, of course. You've been in one already, get over it. Also, aliens, damnit.

"Right, I'm Captain Lettli, these are Traemor and Isak. The ETA is zero, since we're already on the system, actualy. And that probably means I'll be flying out there within an hour, yes. Perhaps running, but hopefully not gunning too; I dont grieve having to fight, but I definitely dont welcome it either "

Just then, Bvalltu's chosen voice came in throughout the room. Many were hearing it in various languages through their implants, as due to the advanced translation technology it was often unnecessary to learn any other language for many years aboard the Star Maker. Isak himself chose to hear it in the language from Bvalltu's extremely distant homeworld, the common tongue of the crew that chose to learn it. As a diplomat and historian, Isak had seen it as his duty to learn.

"Hello, everybody! As you are all aware, our journey is very near complete, and I have seen it fit to bring you out of cryosleep. A few of you are not in attendance, but they are recieving this briefing though their links, so there is no issue. I've been in contact with the inhabitants of this system for several years now, and have gained much knowledge on them. They call themselves the Zu'im, and are a very unique species. They are near-Old Standard, with various genetic enhancements, most notably a great need for socialization. What makes them unique is their relationship with their AI. The Zu'im biologicals and their AIs have become symbiotic in a way with each other. Each Zu'im is actually two people, one in the biological body and one distributed in implanted computers all around the body. The biological and the AI are so in tune that it is sometimes hard to distinguish them as individuals, and indeed under most of their laws and social systems they are treated as a singular person, but there is definite individuality in both components. The Zu'im have a very interesting proposal for us. Being a social species, they have been trying to bring together their local star group into a federation for decades now, but with communications taking as long as they do they've been having issues. They want us to bring diplomats to several systems so that prolonged conversation and negotiation can take place. I do believe we'll take it, but first we'll be stopping around one of their planets, a terrestrial terra with the highest population in the system, their capitol of sorts. If you plan on going down to the planet or any of its orbital habitats, make your way to the hangar, we'll be departing soon. I'm almost done putting us into orbit. You are now all free to go, whether to leave the ship or stay on it and continue your daily life."

This culture sounded particularly intriguing to Isak. How did this symbiosis develop? How individual was each part of the Zu'im? He was definitely headed planetside. "Any of you heading down? I like the sound of this place."
Tarmagon Tarmagon General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch Keltoi Keltoi Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm kursku kursku

"Nice to meet you, again probably." Maerioc said. "And while I am sure we are in the system, I do believe we don't instantly teleport from edge to star. Though its quick enough to be like that I suppose." he replied. "I mean when do we get off this metal prison and out into some new alien world full new things to discover.

Just then Bvalltu began speaking, Maerioc hoped to learn the AI's language but still had far to go and so had it in his own tongue, a very different from of Terran English.
Once the AI was done speaking, the young man found himself quite literally shaking with excitement. "This might not be as dangerous as I hoped but it seems just as interesting!" he blabbed as he quickly began his jog to the Hangar. The fact was Maerioc loved AI, they fascinated and excited him. While they were just another part of life to everyone else he had so far met, he had lived most of his life without them before he joined the crew. This isolation from them seemed to make them feel almost magical to him, especially considering his people distrust of them, working all the more to create an interest in the irrational man. To fill his interest Maerioc spent much of his free time conversing with the AI of the ship, they were much more his friends then his fellow beings, though he found them almost as interesting, each one more different then the next. The real question, Maerioc mused, was whether or not he could get the AI of which ever ship was going to ferry him, to let him take the reigns. A People each Bonded to an AI, seems a tempting place he thought, as he considered joining their way of life and bonding himself with an AI.
Keltoi Keltoi Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

"Ah, if only I had the luxury of choice," Taermor answered as Isak turned to him and the the others. "It's my job to make sure everyone stays safe every time we disembark. Besides, the Zu'im sound...interesting."

The Krin looked on in distaste as the "Lord" of Skytown ran off, but did nothing else. That man was just too much for Taermor. Not a fool, but a child. A troublesome one at that, he thought to himself.

"Wryad'Wrin," the Karugan Krin barked out to his soldiers, "head down to the hanger, and wait to be assigned to a transport. And, please, make sure no one causes trouble. Last thing we need is to anger the locals."

Wryad saluted, and marched off with his two comrades. Taermor turned back to Lettli, Sil, and Isak, gesturing to the doorway.
"Shall we?"

"I wont be leaving with the service craft, and not right now, anyway. I'll meet you in orbit, Karugan." Lettli gave his best attempt of the karugan salute.
"Good luck with the Xi'um, Isak." he said as the two crewmates left for where they were needed.

As the meeting room began to clear a little, he finaly let go of Sil's hand. She was calmer now that the karugan, as well as the other creepy aliens, began to leave.
In an unusual fit of family care, he wanted to dispatch her with a little more warmth, but he knew he was short on time. The Hailed Scimitar would be needed soon to escort the diplomatic teams, and he still needed to warm it up for launch.

"I trust you payed attention to the briefing, Sil." he crouched down just to stay at head level with her.
"...yes, I was hearing, Lettly. Theyre going to make a new House with their neighvours, but need our help, right?"
"...uh, yes, that's pretty much it." He knew he didnt have time for a quick quiz, but threw the question out of his mouth anyway. "And why do they need our help?"
"....because..uh, star sphace is realy big and radioactive and voring and mnhakes visiting your friends hard, hut we have a realy quick ship where we can sleep during the trip, so it isnt supher boring."
"...right, yes. Good. Uh, let's just assume I let you join the Svedini boys for their "moon fencing" matches, and dismissed today's chores, no?"
Her shy mask finaly gave way to a smile. "Yes!"
"Off you go,-" the small figure dashed out of the meeting room before he could finish. "...carefull with.. oh, forget it."

Expecting no more domestic tasks for a while, he brought the AI interface on his left gauntlet. "Captain, you didnt quite instruct me if my ship would be needed or not. Should I assume it is?"

"Goodbye, Lettli. It was good meeting you and your sister. Yes, let's head to the hangar." Isak gladly accepted Taermor's invitation and left through the doorway. As he began to walk, he started talking to Taermor. "So, I see you carry a knife. It is of undoubtedly good craftsmanship, but tell me, why do you carry around such a weapon? Is it a keepsake of sorts? It seems like a weapon of such ancient design and type would be useless in our age. What is a knife against a nanoswarm or a sentient gun?"

Isak was legitimately curious. While the knife was very well made, even the best of melee weaponry was useless against even a standard combat bot. Perhaps he might learn a bit more about Taermor's culture, as the histories and traditions of radically modified creatures especially interested him.
Keltoi Keltoi

--

Bvalltu was having conversations with a few hundred members of the crew at once, as well as managing the ship's functions with the help of the other AIs. He was trying to coordinate all of the landers and passenger ships as well. One of his pilots, Lettli, asked him whether his ship was needed. "Yes, you would be correct in assuming that. You will be taking your ship down to one of the larger cities of the Zu'im, one of their capitols. I'm not sure how long we'll be there unfortunately, but expect at least a couple of days. The location of the city, which I believe is called Tulisa'on, will be on your display."
Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm

If he was not wearing the traditional Karugan mask, Taermor would have smiled as he heard Isak's question. It was a good one, a very good one. Few people carried such weapons at that age.

"The blade has been used by mankind since metal was molded into weapons. A ranged weapon is good, no, great. But what about hen the enemy is right up in your face? What if they surprise you? I know of few firearms that specialise against tht, and that do, they are not cheap. With firearms organic races can panic, AI can make mistakes. A knife, however, needs only strength to slash or stab, and your enemy is dead. If requires no ammunition, no battery, nothing but to be sharpened. Besides, Karugan specialise against wildlife attacks. I would rather fight Karu Fleisshünde with a knife than any gun.
"And if you are curious as to where I acquired it, it is traditional for Karugan soldiers to wield a blade. A knife is the best I could pick. Much better than dragging around a broadblade. Against a sentient gun? My armour should save me a few seconds, by then I will have found cover. After that I improvise. Against a nanoswarm? I would be dead, most likely. To answer your question, yes, a knife is near-useless. However, a situation may arise that such a simple weapon is needed. It doesn't weigh much, so why not bring it?"

As they walked ever closer to their destination, Taermor'Krin remembered something that made him grimace in distaste. I hate zero gravity. At least there is the promise of solid ground afterwards. Just to make more conversation, the Krin decided to ask Isak a few questions himself.

"I am aware this is a diplomatic mission, but do you think it will entail? I like to get different opinions, just to reach the perfect decision in how to organise security. And what do you think your role will be in this mission?"

Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

He stood staring through the hole in the floor, ship schematics and waves of numerical data flashing across his HUD. He knew which Hangar he needed to be in, he had done the maths for when to jump, the trajectory. Planned how he would land, clicking his boots on as he collided, rolling to a stand after he hit the wall of the Hangar. It would be graceful. He asserted himself it would be 'awesome'. Some member of crew walked passed and he beckoned them over, "Watch this" he said as he lept, just at the right time.

However, as he fell, it became apparent that while he brain had woken sufficiently to calculate everything his body was certainly not up for the task. The fall was anything but graceful and he soon hit the hangar with a dull thud. He swore could hear the distant laughing in his head from the crew member already a good rotation away. After the initial impact he began drifting along the wall, hurriedly he reached around trying to grab something and not be stuck drifting as everyone set off, waiting to be saved or to drift back against one of the sides. Hoping to save himself before he reached the end of the stretch of wall he was drifting alongside. In his writhing he managed to turn on his Mag Boots, kicking his leg back he managed to make contact with the metal wall of the hangar. Thank the Void he thought as he composed himself, slamming his other boot onto the wall. After a breath and some jokes at his expense from some of the AI, he crouched down, turned off his boots and began pulling himself toward the nearest hatch. Floating along the outside until he reached it. He stopped for a moment, made sure he shoulder was indeed not broken, grimaced and then pretended nothing had happened. He opened it, and headed in. Making sure to leave no one with any idea what had just happened, despite the clear thud he made when impacting the wall.

He saw a small Service Craft. One that generally transported about 5 people. Quick and lithe. Certainly manoeuvrable. He knew this was one of the ones belonging to the Star Maker, generally used for short diplomatic missions. He felt sure he could get the AI to let him fly it on this mission, especially considering it wasn't a dangerous mission. However the Ships AI did like to fly their own craft around, Maerioc just liked to 'fly manual' not that there weren't still about a thousand computer processes helping him. He was still one of the few people who actually flew themselves, rather then having an AI do 99% of the work.

"It'll probably be talking about the specifics of the missions, the timeframe, the payment, the systems we'll actually be visiting, all the stuff you'd expect. We'll also probably be doing some trading, as there are things that one of us has and other wants, I'm sure. My role will probably be bartering, getting a good price for our services and finding out what kinds of trading we can do. I'll also help to prevent any 'cultural misunderstandings', at least to the best I possibly can with an unknown culture."

Isak entered the elevator that led down to the spine with Taermor. They got down to the bottom level. Isak carefully maneuvered his way into the zero-g environment and began making his way towards the hangar. He had a lot of experience in zero-g and it didn't really bother him at all. He pulled himself along the wall like he had hundreds and hundreds of times before until he finally reached the open hangar. It was bustling with people, all maneuvering around and entering the ships that would lead to wherever they wanted to go.
Keltoi Keltoi

"Thrice damned... Alright..." Taermor sighed as he entered the zero-g area angrily, recklessly pushing himself forward with frightening strength. He flew past people that were quite cautiously going at a steady pace, frowning at him. But Taermor did not care. If it were up to hI'm, this wouldn't be necessary.

With an audible clank, he collided with the far wall of the corridor, ignoring what he had just done, and swiftly and aggressively climbed along the wall with four arms, making his way to the hangar in no time. With a nod to Isak, he passed by and snapped two fingers towarms the spacecraft.
"I assume we're taking that?" To no one in particular. He did not need an answer, just voicing a thought aloud. Now that he was here, he anticipated that he would have to endure the gravity hell again when they returned. Best he hope this trip would take a while.

Kthara wasn't sure how he felt about an entire planet of people who had bonded themselves with AI's. The Large Claw of the Star Maker seemed nice enough, but there was no way that he would ever desire to be bonded to one. He had a hard enough time accepting the nanites that he had been required to inject prior to boarding the Star Maker. They did help with the aftereffects of the cryo, but somehow he felt as though he was betraying his warrior ancestors by augmenting himself artificially. Oh well. It was part of his life now.

"Large Claw, " he said, as the others began to head out to their various destinations. "Would the Zu'im object if I were to take an unarmed scout and visit some of their more remote settlements? Also, do you have a language module for my translator? "

Kthara hadn't been willing to have anything save the nanites actually within his body, but the unit in his armor and earring did well enough.

(First and foremost I'm sorry guys. Was tangled up with some late tasks from work and college)

Cryostasis wasn't something that Alex enjoyed, but he didn't hate as well. Was always a traditional part of his job, especially after traveling for most of the already known systems, usually, he would be sent to a distant place to study. He slowly pushed the door of his chamber and looked away for a few seconds. He yawned briefly and walked outside firmly. Being a Hominum Melioris, was to be physically enhanced and with that, and having a problem with the early dizziness and loss of memory was not a common thing.

He first looked around the room he was, always giving a reassuring, sympathetic but coy smile. As he walked past the corridors, he would nod and greet almost all the members, even though Alex wouldn't know all of their names, but he had to show his manners. At the very end, they were there to serve him, but they still needed some support. Looking like an Old human always brings you some attention, since most of our crew would have some changes in any degrees, but Alex was a tall and good looking male. His broad smile and open eyes would draw a lot of greetings and good reactions as he joined the briefing room.

On his left arm, from the wrist until his elbow, he had a device that looked like an arm sleeve. It looked like made out of some metal but seemed flexible. As he was being debriefed, he would press a few buttons that would appear as holograms on top of it. He was making some notes and appointing what he should do as he wanted to drop on the new planet. After he had finished his notes, Alex saw Isak and came towards him so he could talk to him.

"So you are Isak?" he prompted his hand for a traditional handshake. Apart from looking like an Old human, he would also mimic some of the old costumes. "I heard a lot about you" he lied, "I think we are going to work together on this planet, what do you say?"

Isak pointed towards one of the frigates. "That one, I believe, is the one taking us where we need to go. It's piloted by that Svessi we met earlier, Lettli. We'll be accompanied by a few smaller vessels, one of them piloted by that 'Lord of Skytown' fellow." Isak looked around at all of the people in the hangar. He saw a dog pushing itself along with its robotic arms, several bots busy preparing the ships, and countless others preparing for landing on the surface or travel to the orbital habitats.

Another person approached through the zero-g, looking like an Old Standard human. He asked Isak a couple questions. "Yes, I am Isak. You are Alex, correct? I have heard that you are an anthropologist, that is very good, we shall work well together. I hope our talks with the Zu'im work out well."
Keltoi Keltoi kursku kursku Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm

--

Bvalltu responded to Kthara's question. "I don't believe they would object to that. However, it might be safer for you to head to the capitol first and then use ground or air transport from there, just to ensure there are no misunderstandings. It's up to you though. Use your best judgement." Bvalltu was talking to Maerioc at the same time. "You will be travelling with this ship." He indicated Lettli's frigate neurally. "You'll be headed to one of the Zu'im capitols. The diplomats will be in talks with their leaders, it's up to you whether you join them or just relax planetside."
General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch Tarmagon Tarmagon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back