Other Learning to Speak Japanese

I'm learning Japanese by taking examples from various different reliable websites. I've been studying for 8 months, been to Japan twice and was able to understand basic conversations, and I can curse at people in Japanese to confuse them! :DD

Watch anime with English subtitles. 

Lol no. Don't listen to that. That is horrible advice. 

I used a couple apps on Android but have made little progress. :/

I started by configuring my laptop's keyboard to type Japanese--using Romaji to do Kata and Hira scripts. You can use this with Excel to make your own comprehensive tables of sylables, though you'll still need to refer to other sources for things like indicating double consonants and long vowels. Each word you type should bring up a list of Kana (sort of like how smartphones offer word suggestions as you are texting). I started taking Kana suggestions one by one, and putting them through Google translate, which I then made lists for, with the end goal of making a personal dictionary, but then I broke my laptop. I think some phone keyboards can also be configured to do this. There are also apps that you could use with a stylus to practice writing kata/hira scripts, and an app that uses your phone's camera to translate Japanese text to English. If you go to college, try joining a Japanese club. The one at my school doesn't require that you take the related classes, and they manage activities for Japanese exchange students, which provides advanced opportunity for conversation.

Taking classes is one of the best ways, and going to conversation gross is great once you know some basics.

My college classes used the book "genkii" which has two volumes and comes with an audio book. If you want to teach yourself from a book, you definately need one with some form of auditory guide. 

Additionally, there are some apps which can help teach you to write. Start with the basic hiragana characters, and then katakana. Kanji has the most (thousands), which can be intimidating. The others only have 46 characters. If you search in the app store, you can find some good practice apps for his to write hiragana. Alternatively, just practice writing on paper a bunch of times.

Having done form of guidance, be it in the form of a book or teacher, helps when starting out ^_^

Edit: also a YouTuber I follow mentioned an app called "hellotalk" where you type posts in the language you're trying to learn, and native speakers correct your grammar and mistakes. That can be a good way to learn too. It's kind of like a social media app, but for language learners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back