• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Laochan's Island - A Hatching RP - Exploration, Survival, Fantasy

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
full
Introduction A survival-based egg hatching roleplay. Your character has found themselves on an island with a couple strangers, a cave containing a couple magical eggs and a young boy, and a century-old curse. They will interact with each other, the eggs, and/or the boy until the creatures inside the eggs hatch and become their partner. From there, they can begin exploring the island and figuring out how and why they came there, if they can survive that long.

• What Is Egg-Hatching?​
    Okay, so I haven't really seen these around here, so I don't know if they're a thing or not. But here goes an attempt at explanation.

In an egg hatching roleplay, a group of magical eggs are hidden somewhere in the world. Usually, they're all grouped together in a cave/castle/glade, but they can be anywhere the plot writer chooses. Then, each adventurer comes to the eggs. Sometimes it is destiny that draws them to the location, sometimes they're simply lost, sometimes they look for them intentionally... It's all up to the roleplayer. Once the eggs are found, the characters interact with the eggs, the Keeper (if there is one, usually a guardian or protector of the eggs, sometimes accompanies the group on the quest and often has a partner of their own), and other adventurers as the eggs speak to the characters, probe their memories, read their thoughts/emotions, or however else the controller chooses.

Each egg is different in appearance and contains a different creature inside. Any kind of creature can be contained in the egg. They often hold creatures like dragons and unicorns, but they can hold lions and tigers, birds and lizards, even extra terrestrials! Every egg has its own personality, view on life, likes/dislikes, and traits. Only the controller knows these traits, and they keep these in mind when roleplaying the egg (and, later, the creature) and use this knowledge to pick the partner that best suits the creature. This might not be the first adventurer that interacts with the egg, and might even be one interacting with another egg or character, but the egg eventually chooses a partner. When this happens, it hatches (sometimes spontaneously, sometimes from an order from the adventurer, sometimes physically by being smashed against rocks, however the roleplayer chooses) into a creature who will be the adventurer's partner until the end of the roleplay.

Terms​
    Egg? Controller? Keeper? What do all these terms mean?!
    Well, like most roleplays, egg hatching has its own group of terms describing different elements of the roleplay, but they're pretty self-explanatory and aren't hard to learn.

Controller - The user who roleplays the eggs and the creatures they hatch into, usually the GM and/or a partner. They may also roleplay an adventurer if they so choose, but they may not choose from any of their own eggs. They often only roleplay two to three eggs at the most, as more than this can become very overwhelming.

Creature - refers to the creature inside the egg. Can be anything the author chooses, but it has its own mind and will, and is always controlled by the controller. They often, but don't always, have a telepathic connection (varies in strength and abilities) with their partner and/or the other creatures.

Egg - The egg is one of the most important elements in one of these roleplays. Without the egg, and the creature inside it, these roleplays would be no different from the usual 'people on a quest' ones you see on the boards. The appearance of the egg varies tremendously from the others and from story to story. They can be any size, any color, any texture, and have any properties the author chooses. Be creative! Often, the egg's appearance offers a clue to the type of creature inside, but this isn't always the case. Eggs can communicate in a variety of ways, the most common being telepathy and verbal communication, but new ideas are always welcome.

Keeper/Guardian - A character, often roleplayed by the author of the plot or one of the controllers, who protects the eggs from those who would do them harm or who do not belong in the cave/castle/whatnot. Sometimes they accompany the adventurers on their quest, sometimes not. They're often very attached to the eggs, and may have a partner of their own.

Last edited:
So this is a little something Trinket Trinket and I have been discussing and would like to see if anybody would be interested in joining. At the moment, it will probably only be for 1-2 more characters (unless you don't mind your character not having an egg), but it may expand if there's enough interest.

Please note that I am very busy with school as finals week approaches, so I may not always be here. I'll also be having to leave come summertime, so Trinket will take over for me then.

I'm very interested in this. I know quite a few obscure mythical creatures that would be interesting to role play as.

Cool! Now, I will note that the current set-up is that the eggs/Lao will be played by me (or Trinket, once I have to leave), while player characters will be humanoid. If there's a lot of interest, then it may expand to allow other players to create an egg for other players' characters to hatch, then the creator of the egg continues to play the character. Basically, the keeper and eggs/creatures are NPCs that make up this world the characters exist in.

If you really want to play a set of creatures, however, you can always set up your own Hatching RP. I can help you out if you've never done one, but there's a lot of freedom in it. The basic structure is usually more or less the same, but the setting, plot, creatures, and just about everything else can vary tremendously.

Awesome! So between you, RoarkSouth RoarkSouth , and Trinket Trinket , we have our three people! We can set this up however y'all would prefer, either in a public thread or through PM.

I will note, however, that I'll be going home for the summer next Friday afternoon. I'll still be able to check in and hopefully make a couple posts every day or two, but I'll be handing most of the RP over to Trinket. I know the timing isn't great, but I'm afraid that's just how it worked out... But, the great thing about hatchings is that there are a million different ways you can go with it, and even the same basic plot will be different each time depending on the types of characters that show up. So, if we have problems keeping this up during the summer, can always have a reboot in the fall and invite y'all in.

Okay... Yikes, time is getting tight... My plan was originally to set this up today and get everyone familiar with the process before I had to leave, and then to keep checking in and answering questions and such as possible during the summer, but I think that's not gonna work. I have a project to work on until Wednesday night, then I leave Friday morning/afternoon, but my phone blue-screened yesterday and I don't know when I'll have a replacement. If Trinket Trinket is comfortable with it, I can send her all the information I have about the story, characters, mechanics, etc. and she can work with the plot as she likes, but this is a new set-up for her as well. Alternatively, I can just hold all this in storage until the fall and tag you guys in a new one once I'll have consistent access to a computer. What do y'all think?

RoarkSouth RoarkSouth Nephalem Nephalem
-peeks in sheepishly-
Uhh, hey guys... So, I said I'd planned on starting this after Christmas, buuuut... I kinda forgot. But, I'm back now, and I think I probably have enough time to lead this one since it only involves a couple characters.

There are currently three spots open, but it can be adapted to include others if necessary. This may be through adding a few new eggs, replacing characters that have gone MIA, or creating NPCs/non-player effects (random events and such)

oh-oh me!
Cool! I'm going to keep this up for a while to see if anybody else is interested. If not, it's no problem; these work well whether it's a group or 1x1.

For now, do you have any questions or whatever you want to talk about? This is a carry-over from another site, so it may still be kinda new for people here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back