• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kingdom of Faeden (FabricatedWit x RainyWrites)

April had never felt this small before.

And yet, when Annie took only one look at her and immediately turned to felicity, she knew this was tough. it was highly likely this wouldn't last, highly likely she wouldn't be a good enough squire for the princess. to be honest, she'd known she wasn't a good enough squire. but hearing someone else say it was sort of a wake up from the dream. her eyes went wide and she got nervous. what if Felicity's parents said no to her? would she be out again? no matter what felicity might be able to do, she didn't trump the king.

April was honestly a bit nauseated at the idea of meeting a king. would she say something wrong? would she be executed? she was quite nervous, all things considered. Annie was kind, but also a healthy dose of reality. and the reality was that April was way out of her depth and they both knew it. and yet, felicity. those three words were beginning to be a constant in April's life, now. and she was kind of okay with it, even though she was sure it would run out eventually. when it did, she had the promise of another life. one that didn't involve the streets.

a young sister? she'd be wearing royal hand-me-downs? her eyes widened and her face paled. that wouldn't end well. nobody in the royal family just let their clothes be worn by a street rat. even if a princess had taken the rat in as a pet. and yet, in a whirlwind it was decided and done, and April was left with mental whiplash over what had taken place around her. "I... I..." she could barely form a sentence. "I don't belong here, princess. you're... you're very nice. but your parents won't like me. and I can't wear royal clothes. with my status? that's treason. and- and-... i mean you're very nice. but... I don't want to get you in trouble with your patents. Annie's right, you really shouldn't."

The tinder had caught, keeping Felicity pinned to the fireplace as she waits for the tinder to burn up and catch fire to the logs, all while April stuttered and disagreed with the idea. Felicity blew out a breath before standing, facing April as she did. “First, it’s not an act of treason. My parents are not so dense as to blame an innocent for my crimes in taking from my sister’s wardrobe. I would dress you in some of my gowns but…”

Motioning between their two heights it was clear what she meant. Glancing at the fire, she made sure the tinder was holding in its place beneath the log before she moved to April. She set her hands on her shoulders and gave a small squeeze. “I’m here for you, April. I promised to protect you and I will. If my parents do have a problem with you then I will still find you a good place to work and live. Did I not say I would?

“Besides, don’t wave the white flag just yet. You haven’t even given it a full day. Enjoy a warm bath and supper, sleep in a real bed. Remember, that not all squires are noble born. The only difference between them and you are that you’re a girl and that works in your favor.”

There was a pause before Felicity added, “And we will work on how you speak to my parents, so you present yourself well. Do you think that will help you feel more confident in your role?”

she laughed. "now I want to wear yours!" she said, a smile on her face. "I'd look like those toddlers you see wandering around in their parent's shoes!" and wouldn't that be a wonder? she couldn't help smiling at the idea.

she nodded along with felicity's words. "I'm sorry. this is just... I mean. it's not you. i've just... i've never had an opportunity before." she was offered everything she'd wanted in life in one fell swoop, with one minor exception. but of course she couldn't expect the royal family to be able to provide parents for her. and something told her Felicity was as good as it was gonna get in the parents department. "did you pick out your room colors?" she asked, looking around. it didn't seem like felicity. "it looks like Annie would love it... not you." it was a random question, mayhaps. but a valid one, as she avoided looking at felicity's eyes. "i'm sorry I doubted you." she said, focusing on them once more.

she nodded. "and you're a girl too. a girl knight needs a girl squire. that way I can help you pin up your hair just so before battle." she smiled, puffing out her chest in a self-satisfied way. "do you think Annie could teach me to sew? you said she might... I think i'd like to learn. it'd be cool to be able to stitch up wounds in a pinch." and wasn't sewing good for that? "I want to be the best squire you could ever have. so that nobody can say i'm worthless." she never wanted to be worthless ever again. and there was a fire in her eyes when she said that. because Felicity was right. she shouldn't wave a white flag. she was a strong girl who could take care of herself. except now she also had Felicity to take care of. and she could swing it.

"yeah." she wanted to learn how to speak to her boss's parents. she wanted them to like her. especially because they were the king and queen. but also because they were Felicity's family. "I want to put a good foot forward, you know? they're gonna look at me funny, but I want 'em to like me so much they aren't mean."

Felicity laughed with April as she commented on wanting to try on her clothes, shaking her head a little with amusement. The amusement continued as April commented on the room’s color choice before apologizing. With a content sigh, Felicity gave April a quick hug. “I understand, and we’ll work through this.”

She moved back to the fire, sitting down before it on the plush rug before patting the spot beside her. “And no, I didn’t decorate my room. My Aunt Evelyn did, as a present for my fourteenth birthday. It was an attempt to alter my view towards becoming more of a lady, back when my family had hope that they could somehow pressure me into corsets and gowns.”

When April asked about Annie and commented on wanting to put a good foot forward, Felicity smiled bright before nodding. “I’m sure she could teach you, though stitching flesh is not like stitching clothing. My father took me down into the trenches of a tourney once to try and dispel me of the same idea, but it didn’t work either. Pretty sure he expected me to squeal or get squeamish over the sight of the blood and gore.”

She inclined her head and looked back to the fire, reaching out to use a stick to tuck the tinder more under the log as it caught fire, waiting so not to smother the flames. “Annie and I will both show you how to act, but probably not until morning.”

Glancing at April she spoke in a soft, kind voice. “I rather expect that after the bath and the supper your body is going to be ready to pass out. A lot has happened today, and even though it’s early you’ll need your rest. I don’t want you fighting that until we get you to a healthy weight.”

Annie slipped into the room with a soft tap on the door as Felicity spoke, a bundle of assorted gowns in her arms. She shook her head at the sight of Felicity sitting on the floor before looking to April. “Your bath is ready, and I have a few nightgowns here for you to wear so you can pick one you like for tonight.”

Felicity looked to Annie as she spoke before looking back to April, “Make sure to ask her what you wanted to ask.”

If Annette was curious about what Felicity was talking about, she hid it well and waited for April to approach to pick out a nightgown. She had done her best to avoid colors that would clash with April’s hair color. There was a simple white one with ruffles at the hem and acting as sleeves, a long-sleeved pale blue one, and a lilac one that had short sleeves with mother of pearl buttons down the front. They were obviously more for a growing girl than a woman from their cut and colors, keeping with April’s age.

"wow, they sure did try to turn you into a girl... didn't they?" she scoffed at the idea. Felicity was lovely, but she was not a girl. or not a femenine one. it was funny that her family had tried so hard. "I think you make a much better knight than a princess." a true princess wouldn't have helped her. and if Felicity was a normal princess than April wouldn't be a squire right now. "well, it can't be too different. i mean, i've fixed wounds before. when I was little I got this big scrape up my leg..." she'd been so worried it would kill her. she'd heard of people who died of pus in wounds, if not bloodloss.

Felicity hugged her, and she hugged back. it was odd, because she'd never actually given a hug without taking something. but she could hold herself back with Felicity, so she did. and she held on for a long moment, until Annie came back in. she smiled, more excited for her bath than she was willing to let on. but of course she did let on, because she wasn't a great liar. the grin was plastered on her face, and her toe started tapping in a nervous sort of excitement. "yes ma'am." she saluted her knight with a big grin on her face. she'd eat and sleep and bathe happily. that was just fine by her.

she jogged over to Annie, letting her lead. when she saw the three outfits, she took a long time looking at them. they were all really pretty. the white would look best with her hair, whatever it looked like, the blue had long sleeves that could keep her warmer, and those pearls on the purple had resale value. but no. she didn't need to think about resale value. if this didn't work out felicity would find her a family. so at the end of the day she picked the one that looked the warmest on habit. their kingdom was farther north, and it got really cold outside some nights. all the clothes April wore were the warmest she could find. she pointed at the blue one. "I like that one. I mean... I don't want to touch it. i'm all dirty." she honestly cared about being clean and keeping her new clothes clean.

"where's the bath?" she asked Annie, trying to contain her excitement. "I've never had a bath before." it was an excited statement, and it was clear she was just itching to finally be clean. "how do you get the water to be warm?" maybe she was going to bug Annie about the bath for the entire time Annie let her. but she was excited about it.

Annie didn’t look the least bit annoyed with all of Annie’s questions and excitement. She drew the blue one out and set the others with the dresses she had brought. “The bath is in the bathing chamber, which is situated right over the kitchen so the fires can heat the water that sits in this massive drum hidden in the walls. We mix it with cold water piped in from the wells so that you don’t get burned.”

Pausing in the doorway, Annie looked to Felicity, “You should get clean as well. You can’t go to bed with mud in your hair.”

Felicity stuck her tongue out at Annie before smiling, “Don’t worry, I’ll ring for someone to assist my royal ass as you help April.”

With a firm nod, Annie turned to take April down the hall, waving off the need for her shoes before pulling out a pair of soft wool slippers from her pocket. “These should fit you, more or less. They were made for Princess Penelope, but she doesn’t care for them. She prefers her satin slippers, so they won’t be missed. They’re for after your bath.”

Walking April down the hall, further in the maze of halls, she brought her to a door that had a small plaque on it reading “Bath”. Opening the door, the room was stone floors and walls, with steam rolling out of the tub large enough for a bear of a man to relax comfortably in. Plush towels likewise sat waiting for use, beside a container that had oils and salts, and a few different kinds of soaps. For April the bath was only filled halfway, and Annie gave her a second to look around while she hung up the nightgown and set the slippers to the side. “Since you’ve never had a bath before you might be taking two, depending on how dirty the water looks.”

She smiled as she glanced to April, “We’ll get you cleaned up to the point even Felicity might be in doubt when she sees you.”

Straightening, Annie set her hands to her hips, “Now, do you want help with your bath or no? I can assist completely, just wash your hair, or wait behind the screen over there until you are done.”

Annie pointed to the screen by which the nightgown and slippers were hung, clearly marking it as a place where people dressed after bathing.

"wow! can I see how that works?" she wanted to see the big tank of water. she wanted to see how the well connected. there was so much that went behind making the castle what it was, she was learning, and she wanted to see it all. April was a bit of a sponge, honestly. she wanted to know everything, see everything, do everything. She had the chance to make it reality, now that she wouldn't be spending her time focusing on her next meal. and she was taking full advantage.

"bye felicity!!" she called, although she didn't seem too upset about leaving her new friend for the moment. "I dunno, Annie. I think she's the princess. and if she wanted to go to sleep with mud in her hair, she could." she only said that jokingly, and once they were out of earshot. she didn't want Felicity to think that might be a good idea. not when it meant more work for Annie and a dirty bed. besides, who wouldn't want to feel all nice and clean?

The bathroom. was. enormous. her jaw dropped again, and she made quick work of crossing to the pile of soaps and washes that could be used. "what are all these?" not knowing how to read made navigating the different things delicious. some were rocklike, some were gel. but they all had something in common. they smelled delicious. "why do you keep food in here?" she could seperate out the scent of vanilla, along with a few other floral scents. overall, it smelled like the tea one of the shopkeepers liked to drink in the morning. April didn't know how she felt about tea by her bath.

but it was all pretty exciting. once again, she didn't touch the towels or the slippers, watching Annie set them down. "I think i'm going to need help. I don't want to take up your time, though. so let me know if you have other stuff to do, okay?" she had bosses too. and April didn't want to come between Annie and work. "but if you could help i'd be really happy."

“It’s not food,” Annie did her best not to laugh as she corrected April, but a small giggle did escape. Going to her she pointed to a few of the vials. “These are oils that soften the skin and perfume it. The salts are to help sore muscles.”

She picked up one jar of salts and opened it before holding it near April’s nose, “This is the scent Princess Felicity prefers after a hard day.”

It smelled softly of sandalwood and rose, and once April had smelled the salts Annie closed the container and put it back. “And these are soaps that we use to wash your hair and your body. There are two different kinds. Normally Felicity chooses not to use scented soaps because she finds they can be strong and instead uses an oil after her bath. I would recommend you do the same just because… well…”

Annie reached out and took one of April’s hands, turning it up to look for chapped skin. “I think it feels better. The Princess was kind enough to give me oil and it helped with soften my callouses, which you’re bound to get. Even Her Highness has to worry about those, since callouses will snag delicate fabrics that she has to wear.”

Setting everything back to rights, Annie shook her head as she focused on April. “Right now you have all my attention, and it’s okay because the princess asked me to. If anyone is going to get into trouble it would be her, but she won’t. Not everyone is as kind to their help as Princess Felicity, and it’s an example she learned from her mother. I think you’ll like Queen Helena, once you’ve met her and the fuss of a female squire calms down.”

Clapping her hands together, Annie smiled. “Okay, get undressed and into the water. Make sure to dunk your head in so we can start with your hair while we let your skin soak a bit. Hopefully we won’t have to scrub off a layer of skin to get the dirt free.”

April was riddled with callouses and tiny cuts on her hands, her legs, and her arms. it was what a girl got for climbing around so much. and sometimes she had to shove herself close to a wall, cutting her skin in the process to keep out of sight. there were a lot of bigger meaner bullies on the street. April had learned long ago that avoidance was not only smart, but sometimes quite necessary. "so they're called bath salts... but they're not food? got it." it didn't make much sense to her. salt was what you put on your food. maybe this was what you put on your back? regardless, she went with it. besides, it smelled nice and April decided she understood why Felicity liked it so much.

she nodded at Annie's explanation of the soaps, deciding to just allow the explanations to work for now. she took off her torn outfit, looking at it for a moment. how long had it been since she'd had different clothes other than those worn pants and the cinched shirt that she'd had the baker's cousin sew up a few times when it had gotten quite near unserviceable? awhile... and she was quite sure she'd never have to see it again. she held the outfit close for a moment, silently thanking it. it had put up a good fight to stay together. but now she was done being dirty. and she was done being useless. she was done needing them. with a quiet whisper of thanks to them, she put them on the floor in a heap. she was gentle with them on instinct. the guard had torn yet another hole in them this morning. she knew they were beyond repair but it was instinct to try and preserve her things. she didn't have money to get new ones.

and yet she let them go on the floor and then she carefully stepped into the water, looking back at Annie. "whatever soaps you think I should use I will." that was probably easier for now. until she learned what was allowed, what she liked... she'd just trust annie. the older girl seemed to know what she was talking about here. and she didn't seem like she wanted to steer April wrong. April made sure to get her head in the water, already seeing clumps of mud and dust coming off her body.

"so the queen is quite nice?" she asked, head popping up and out of the water to look at Annie. "what is she like?"

Annie rolled up her sleeves and went to check the bath water as April stripped down. She allowed her the moment to part with her clothes, understanding what having little meant since she hadn’t always been a lady’s maid. Once April was in the water and under, Annie sat on a stool and used her hair to scrub gently at the younger girl’s scalp, praying that they didn’t find lice or the like. When April popped up Annie pulled April’s hair away from her face then reached for unscented soap, which was cheapest and easiest to obtain.

Pouring some onto April’s head, she then began to work it down onto April’s scalp, careful not to let the soap drip into her face. “The Queen? Yes, she’s very nice. My father was a farmer who died one summer in the fields. There were four of us little ones, and none really old enough to work the fields with our mother, though we tried. So, my mother came to commoner’s court one day and placed her plight before the king and queen. The king bought up the farmland to give to one of his knights to create revenue, and the queen took my mother on as a seamstress. My eldest brother went to work with the librarian, and I watched my baby sister until she was old enough to entertain herself at my mother’s side.

“By then I had learned some graces required for a maid, and I apprenticed as a lady’s maid until the queen felt that my skill was good enough for her daughters. So, I’ve been a lady’s maid for two years now. My mother still has the money that the king paid her, all so she can retire well because we’re all taken care of.”

Pausing in her story, Annie had April go back under the water so that she could rinse her hair. She had her dunk a few times to work the soap out, before letting her settle back against the edge again, again to soap up her hair. “You have very pretty hair now that we can see the actual color. We’re going to wash it one more time to make it shine and then I’m going to put a different sort of soap in that will help me untangle it.”

April didn't know what to do, so she just let her hair get washed by the maid as she listened to the story. the queen seemed so nice, now that Annie put it like that. "your family sounds amazing." she decided. "the queen does too. it's funny. I always heard that the royals didn't care about any of us. but I guess with me... nobody did." nobody had ever wanted her or cared enough about her to keep her around. she'd heard whispers and warnings, but nobody kept her with them. but the royal family didn't seem to match the warnings. a pleasant surprise. she let herself be dunked in again. the water steadily grew darker with every passing moment, but she didn't really notice. it just felt so good to be getting clean.

"well, if my opinion matters any, you're the most refined person i've ever met." she thought for a moment, weighing her against Felicity. "I hope the princess doesn't mind me saying that. I mean, I adore her, but she's..." she's felicity. which made her April's favorite human being on the planet. but not necessarily a refined one.

she smiled at the praise for her hair. "thanks." she was glad Annie kept telling her what exactly was happening. April liked knowing every step as it occured. she liked knowing and preparing for the hands to do what they were going to do. it fended off surprise attacks. she hated those. "how are your siblings doing now?"

“Thank you,” Annie said when April commented on her family, a smile curling her lips as she concentrated on washing April’s hair. “As for no one wanting you, you could think of it in another light, that you had to learn to trust in yourself and become what you are in order for the princess to find you.”

Giving a shake of her head, Annie continued, “I wish you could have had a family, since I’m sure that was what you wanted more than ever. I can’t say that the princess will be your family, but she’ll certainly be your friend; and if you want a family Princess Felicity could do her best to find you one.”

Looking at the water, Annie gave a giggle, “Hold still while I get a pitcher of fresh water, dunking your head in dirty water isn’t going to make it clean and it will take longer if we have to wash your hair for a third time.”

Rising from her seat she would turn on the faucets, letting the water rush into the tub. She adjusted the two handles until the water was nice and warm without being scalding and slipped a pitcher beneath. She left the water running as she had April tilt her head back and close her eyes so she could rinse her hair clean. “Princess Felicity has learned to put on a brave face, just as you have. However, she can act just as uppity and cold as a royal is expected to be, but she usually saves that for people she doesn’t care for. So, she must have seen something in you that she really liked. As for my family they’re doing well, my youngest sister is working under my mother as a seamstress. Each Sunday are able to sit down together as a family to share supper.”

Once satisfied that April’s hair was clean of soap, Annie turned off the faucets and sat back down to put the softening soap into April’s hair. Once that was done, she picked up a wide tooth comb. “I’m going to comb your hair, April. We might have to trim some of your hair if I can’t get the knots out but I’m going to do my best, and this soap should help make it less painful while I work. It makes your hair slippery.”

Picking up a washcloth and a bar of soap she offered it to April. “Why don’t you start washing your arms and chest while I work. You’re definitely going to need a second bath.”

she listened to Annie as she spoke of being alone and of family. she shrugged, before downright lying to Annie. "I don't need a family. my family left me in a dumpster, they didn't want me. and that's just fine. i'm tougher alone." maybe she wanted a family. maybe she'd grown up watching all the kids in town with parents who loved them. and yeah, maybe she had wanted that, even if it meant she'd never get all this. but that didn't mean she was ever going to be one to admit it. she had what she had and she depended on herself. just because she wished didn't mean she ever wanted to ask. and besides. Felicity had done so much already. "felicity is my friend and my knight. that's all, and all I need."

she laughed as Annie did, nodding. "yeah, okay. I wont." she kept her hair out of the water. she'd do whatever as long as it made it easier on Annie. April grinned, beginning to soap herself down. it was a little easier in places where she was typically covered in clothes. that meant the dust was mostly just that. just. dirt caked on was harder to remove. but it had all been loosened by the soaking, and April was diligent. she'd keep scrubbing until she was all clean and white. "look at all these freckles, Annie! look at em!"

"I bumped into her after I bit a guard." she admitted, a shy smirk sent Annie's way. "Not sure what she saw in me. but I'm sure glad she did." it was humbling to know that Felicity had the compacity for the royal sterotype that April had heard such rumors of. she'd just chosen not to. "that's so nice." she decided she liked that idea for Annie. having siblings and a mom who were all taken care of and had a nice life, and getting to hang out together once a week. someone as kind as her definitely deserved it. "do whatever you need, miss Annie."

Untangling April’s hair was a slow task that Annie worked on, careful not to pull or snarl the hair more with aggressive strokes. She was glad to see that there weren’t any bugs of any kind, and though her hair had been in tangles that it was still clean to the root. Once brushed free, Annie twisted it up and used a few pins from her own hair to hold April’s hair in place so she could wash Annie’s neck and back, asking for her to sit up so she could.

The first bath was quick to be finished then, the water too dirty that Annie could continue to call it a bath. She had April step out and wrapped her in a towel to keep her warm before unstopping the tub. She explained that the water went through a pipe all the way down through the castle and then the ground to release outside into the sewers of the castle. The second bath was readied, and once April was in, Annie finished with her hair before helping her to wash away the last of the dirt. She even checked April’s ears, fingernails and toenails, making sure that she was as clean as a whistle.

She allowed for April to relax in the water a bit as she used the first towel to mop up the water on the floor then set it on the floor by the tub for April to step on to. A fresh towel was wrapped around the girl, and Annie helped to squeeze some of the water out of her cleaned hair then buff down her body. Once satisfied, she let April pick any of the oil scents that were available to have rubbed into her skin. “The princesses won’t mind, at least not this once. I shall make sure to tell Felicity your preferred scent so she can buy you your own vial.”

She gave a small laugh as she looked over April’s face. “You have more freckles than anyone I’ve seen. Felicity will be surprised as well.”

Annie then showed April how to use her hands to warm a small amount of the oil and rub it into her skin, making mental notes where her skin was the roughest even as she explained the more important points to keep up on once her skin became softer, like her feet and her elbows.

“I hope you’re hungry again. I know Felicity wanted you to have supper before bed.” This was said as she helped April dress into the nightgown before having the girl turn around so she could comb her hair once more only to braid it this time. She produced a simple, thin ribbon that was cream colored to tie into a bow at the end. “There, all neat and sweet smelling. No guard would dare to grab hold of you for fear of severe reprimand.”

Taking April’s hand, Annie brought her to the mirror so she could get a good look at herself for the first time. “Hm. I should have shown you yourself before so you could marvel at the change more. You’ll have to take my word that you could pass for a future lady now.”

Smiling, she tweaked April’s braid, “What do you think?”

April eventually let her lapse into silence, just enjoying the feeling of being in a bath. she knew that her hair was a mess. like. a mane levels of mess. honestly, she found herself whispering sorrys once or twice to Annie. she knew the woman would be too kind to accept the apologies, but she also knew that this was one mess of a job. quite literally. so she tried to be as easy as possible for annie, restricting herself from asking too many questions. but when the water started to flow away, into a tiny hole... "Annie, how's it doing that? where does it go?" when it was all explained, she nodded. that made sense. but it didn't mean she didn't ask to peer down the hole (it looked metal, and turned quite soon into the passage, so clearly the water was directed somewhere) and try it out once. she ran just a bit of water for herself, grinning when she unstopped it and it flushed away. "thanks." she said, happy to have been allowed a moment of exploration with plumbing. now that she knew the basics, it was easy to lapse into quiet and let her return to her job. besides. this towel was soft and warm and she loved it. she would've stayed wrapped in it like a burrito forever... except she still had to get cleaner.

bath round two scrubbed her raw. her whole body was so white it was blinding, but also flushed red from the pressure of the scrubbing. April beamed at the feeling of being so clean. it was good. when Annie mopped the floor, April used some water to rinse the excess dirt off the bars of soap used. that way it was all gone. all the dirt down the drain and out of her life forever. she was going to be clean now. and so was the soap that had got her there. but once she was out of the bath and the hardest part of Annie's job was over... April was back to chatting her up once again.

"I feel like i'm on a cloud." she said, smiling at the towel wrapped around her. it was soft and warm and she loved it. then she became a student of Annie's, learning about how to use the oil. she'd picked vanilla, liking the way it smelled like the frosting at the bakery. she'd never actually had any of their cookies, but on long days if she stopped by near the end she'd be allowed a spoonful sometimes. and it felt like a little bit of home in this great new life. she had annie show her on her right side before doing her left side to match. she wanted to be able to do it herself. and it was then that she remembered the question, as she carefully put oil into her elbow's dry portion. "oh! Felicity said you might know how to sew? I was wondering if you could... I mean, if you have time. teach me? I want to learn." it seemed like a useful skill. and what she'd told felicity was true. having a background would make it easier to learn to sew wounds.

she giggled at the idea that someone hoped she was hungry. "I'm always hungry." she said, a grin on her face. she'd stopped herself a third of the way through the earlier meal, and it was already wearing off. if dinner was anything like lunch she wanted it. "are you? you just cleaned the dirtiest girl in the whole kingdom!" she said it like it was a fact of pride for herself, but really she was more impressed with Annie's work. especially with the fact that she'd somehow detangled her hair with only minimal pulling. a true miracle worker, that girl.

when april turned around, she dang near cried right there. that... that was her in the mirror. was it? no. in the mirror was a very pretty girl with very pretty eyes and white skin and brownish red freckles dotting the whole face but especially the nose. in the mirror was a girl with neat hair that stayed where it was told in a nice neat braid. in the mirror... "that's a princess right there." she pointed, her tone one of quiet awe. was that what she really looked like right now? her skin was far whiter than she'd ever imagined. her hair far redder. it looked like someone had scrapped the dirt off an old photograph. except she felt prettier too. cleaner. lighter. because that right there was her. "I..." there was no point in looking at the mirror anymore. April couldn't see it anyways, though the tears budding in her eyes. "Thank you." she said, giving Annie the biggest hug she'd ever gave. admittedly that sample size was small, beginning with Felicity's hug.

"I look like a person." and with that the tears started coming out, but she tried to sniff and wipe them away. she wasn't a crier. she was tough. tough and beautiful. but still tough.

Annie returned the hug, squeezing April close the way she remembered her mom doing when she was younger. Even though their ages couldn’t be that far apart, Annie understood enough to know that hugs and family weren’t something that April grew up with. That she wanted a hug was big enough to the teenager. She stroked her hair over April’s braid as she relaxed her hold before responding. “Of course I’ll teach you to sew, but Felicity will likely want you to have other lessons as well. I mean outside of fighting.”

At least she would after Annie had a word with her. She had concluded that April couldn’t read, and she didn’t know how far she could count or if she could do basic athematic. That would be seen to, especially as it was something the queen expected of those working in the castle. Ushering April out of the bathroom, Annie returned April to Felicity’s chambers before going to see about dinner.

Felicity sat by the fire, her hair brushed into tamed curls and tied with a bow at the name of her neck. She wore a hunter green dress that was simple in its design, the collar showing off her chest but not her breast, the bodice fitted but not too tight, and the skirts simple. There was no sign of mud or swords or even knives. Instead, her feet were bare and tapping silently against the carpet as she studied the board.

Her blue gaze rose to the door when April was brought back in, and she smiled bright at the sight of the once street urchin. “You would have any of the lords and ladies counting their children, trying to figure out if you were one of their own looking as you do.”

Rising, she took one of April’s hands and had her twirl about in a playful manner. “I would include my mother, but we are unfortunately all dark haired.”

“Sit,” She said after she finished admiring April’s transformation. “I went to speak with my parents about you, so they know you’re in the castle and you won’t get kicked out. They will meet with you tomorrow in the late morning, so first thing we do when we wake is teach you to curtsy and the proper way to address the king and queen. Annie is an old shoe at it, and I was raised on it so, you have nothing to worry about except filling that stomach and getting a good night’s rest.”

Annie knocked on the door before opening it. Two footmen walked in with a small table that was placed before the fire. It was then covered with linen and set with several utensils before a small platter of shaved roast beef, boiled potatoes, and honeyed carrots was placed down between the two settings. Fresh bread came along with it, and a bowl of bone broth, which was set before April.

Once satisfied that everything was in order, Annie closed the door behind the other servants and looked between April and Annie. “Now would be a good lesson to learn. We are going to pretend that the princess is the king, Felicity go into your room.”

Chuckling, Felicity rose up and walked into her room, waiting in the doorway. Annie turned to April, “When a king or queen enters a room you stand and bow, keeping your eyes level with their hands because sometimes they won’t tell you to rise, merely motion upward.”

Felicity made a great show of coming into the room and watching Annie instruct April on how to properly bow before demonstrating one. When appropriate, Felicity motioned for them to rise. “When it comes to the princes and princesses you bow but not so deeply, and you don’t always have to wait for them to command you back up. It all depends on who you’re addressing. Just the heir gets the treatment of a king.”

Annie looked to April, “This is correct. You may also curtsy when you’re in a dress but we will get to that later. So now the king has motioned you up, but you cannot sit until the king does. Nor can you touch the food until the king does.”

“Oh, I see why you thought now was a lesson time.” Felicity remarked as she took a seat, naturally reaching back to position her skirts so she didn’t choke herself sitting down.

Nodding Annie looked to April, “Notice how Felicity swept up her skirts a little before sitting? You will want to do that too, so you don’t pull at your throat when you sit.”

Felicity reached for the carafe on the table that held water and poured herself some. “Don’t overload her all at once, Annie. Let the poor girl eat.”

Sighing, Annie motioned for April to sit but used a hand motion to tell April to pause before reaching for food until Felicity had served herself. Felicity rolled her eyes a little but said nothing since she knew her lady’s maid was right. She grabbed her fork, speared a carrot and popped it into her mouth, giving Annie a meaningful look that was slightly exaggerated.

“I know your mother taught you to not make faces at the table, Felicity. I believe I’ve heard her say that on more than one occasion.” Annie teased.

Felicity shrugged and reached for the bread, grabbing a bun. “Then clearly I must hear it once more because the lesson did not stick.”

Even as she was drawing the bun to her plate, Felicity motioned with her finger to the broth. “That you’ll drink with dinner until your stomach settles and gets used to regular meals. It’s nutritious and shouldn’t upset your stomach. So help yourself to a few bits of everything but understand I expect the broth to be gone before anything else.”

April grinned, more than pleased with the hug. after all, Annie was a good hugger. she pulled April close in a way that made her feel safe rather than trapped, until her hand hit the back of her neck. April reached up on instinct and grabbed it. thankfully, she caught herself before she began to twist the hand. she didn't want to hurt annie, it was just a reflex. instead, she carefully replaced it in a safer spot on her back. she didn't mention how many times she'd been grabbed by her collar. she didn't mention how she'd seen babies and kids 'put out of their misery' by a simple twist. it saved them a life of starvation, but she'd been lucky to not have that fate. "that sounds okay. I like learning." honestly she did. "but if you try to teach me to count coins... you got another thing comin' mighty fast, lady. i've been doing that since before i could talk."

Annie took her on to felicity's quarters again, and when she was presented with the door, she held back for just a moment. she felt pretty. Annie thought she looked pretty. what if Felicity didn't, though? the fear what short lived, as the minute felicity turned around April could tell she loved it. when Annie excused herself, and it was just the two of them, April was beaming. "you look beautiful!" she said, just before she was told that any noble would count their children wondering if she was among them. high praise. high praise indeed. she laughed, taking one finger off the floor and allowing felicity to spin her in circles. "I don't know, princess. i think I look like i could be your sister. I just need to... you know. have different colored hair. and eyes. and skin." she smiled, breathless from the laughing and the joking.

she did what she was told, sobering somewhat, although the laugh was still in her eyes and her flushed cheeks, painfully obvious with no dirt to cover it. "did they seem angry?" she really didn't want to be trouble in the eyes of anybody who had power over her. which of course, here, was just about everyone. although she felt beautiful, she still had the base instincts of a cockroach. don't get squashed. "do i need to win them over?" it seemed felicity just wanted to focus on sleep and eating. honestly. both of those things sounded just fine to April, and so she let the convorsation drop.

when Annie walked in with the servants and food, april's stomach grumbled again. apparently, the third of a bowl had only lasted so long. now she was freshly hungry, and ready to dig in. she'd just been reaching for some bread when Annie started talking and sent felicity out of the room. she dropped her hand into her lap, not wanting to be rude.

she learned how to bow. it was simple enough. after all, she'd learned to mock the soldiers long ago from afar. it wasn't so dissimilar, really. she bowed, watching felicity's hands. it sort of hurt her neck, but she was okay. she was used to her neck being in odd positions. "hey Felicity? are you the heir?" she honestly wasn't sure exactly what the royal line was. it didn't matter to her. or it hadn't, before now.

and when they sat down, April reached again for the bread, but again was stopped. her attention was drawn to the way that felicity sat down, and she nodded, her eyes flicking between anna and she bread. she really didn't want to seem rude. she didn't. but she was hungry and this was food and how complicated could it be to sit and eat? luckily, Felicity seemed to take a hint and tell Annie to let her eat, and just when she'd reached for the bread a final time, her fingers so close...

she had to wait just a second more.

when Felicity finally had a bite, she darted her hand out and grabbed the bread she'd been eying. in the best way, she was well past going slowly and in a more socially acceptable way. she was hungry, and she'd been sitting listening to them lecture on proper eating procedure for what felt like tortorous hours. she eyed the grey broth uncertainly, but when Felicity made it clear it would be going in her, she took her spoon and tried some.

"oh!" it wasn't a disgusted face. honestly, she'd had worse. but it was a surprised face. both at the texture and the blandness of the soup. she didn't mind, but it wasn't what she'd expected royal soup to taste like. wouldn't they want something... saltier? "It's like... that one time I drank the water from some family's laundry bin." the film of the soap created a similar consistency. and it was a similar shade of grey. she took more sips, eventually growing accustomed to the flavor and the way it made her feel warm inside. "Thank you, Felicity." she said, as she took a breath from her soup. "it's very good."

Felicity made a sound of objection around her carrot before she swallowed, “You know better. Slow down or you’ll puke it all up.”

Tearing her roll in half Felicity then went to butter one half, her attention half on her food, half on April. “As for who is to inherit, it is not me.”

This was said with a grin as she set her roll down and then began to cut her meat into a neat square around the tines of her fork. “Niklas is the eldest of us six. Then Oscar, followed by Serena, then myself and Brandon, and lastly my sister Penelope. Penelope was a surprise to my parents, they hadn’t planned on so many of us, but… it is what it is. We’re just lucky she’s as petite as you are. She hates it, especially because my mother isn’t very tall herself and likes to tell Penelope that she may not grow much taller than she is.”

Blowing out a breath, she lifts her fork. “Niklas is thirty, Oscar is twenty-seven, Serena is twenty-five, I am twenty-two, and Brandon is sixteen. Penelope is thirteen.”

Taking the bite of meat, she chews it quickly while beginning to cut another bite. Seeing April’s reaction to the bone broth, she sets her utensils down and grabs her spoon, dipping it into the broth before sampling the soup herself. Setting the spoon down she reaches forth and sets down the salt and pepper jars. “These are seasonings, basic ones, use them sparingly on food that you feel needs more for an appropriate taste. I’ll ask the cook to season the broth ahead of time for tomorrow.”

Shaking her head in amusement, Felicity returned to her seat and began eating once more, not glancing at Annie’s direction as she sat in the firelight hemming one of Brandon’s old pants, he had grown out of long ago so they would fit April. Annie ate either before Felicity or after, depending on if she was going to a normal dinner with the family or a function that would last the evening. Felicity didn’t say anything about that, though. April would have to adjust to life here before she started attending functions, just like her sister.

Now and again, Annie would make small corrections to April’s posture or the way she used her utensils, her tone soft and instructive, and often having Felicity mime the appropriate way so April could see what she meant if she had trouble understanding.

Once dinner was done, Annie had the table cleared left the table itself in the room. Fresh strawberries, that had been sitting in sugar all day, came in with cream for dessert. It was fairly simple but then so had been the meal.

Annie set out the servings, adding whipped cream to the top of the berries even as they sat in a circle of cream mixed with the berry juice already. “Here, Felicity thought you deserved a treat for taking on the day as well as you did.”

"yes, mother." she mumbled, pausing pointedly before taking another sip. really, she didn't mind. she hadn't ever had anybody who cared enough to monitor the way she was doing things. so she tolerated Felicity and Annie's small corrections. even if she didn't particularly like sitting with a straight and tall back, shoulders drawn away.

"so here's the big question... why can't i just use one fork?" it was a step up from eating with one's hands, but these forks... there were just so so many of them. what was the purpose?

she listened to the royal line, she nodded. but wow... her new friend had a whole lot of siblings. "wow." she couldn't help but gasp at the sheer amount of royal siblings. "It's just me in my family." that was all she could think about, really. imagine having grown up with so many people! "so... do i need to bow whenever you come into a room? is that a rule?" she didn't want to be rude, but she sure hadn't been doing that already. and she didn't want to be in trouble for what she hadn't done. "do you want me to... make up for when i didn't? I can do a whole bunch of bowing in a row, I guess." she didn't know if that was a thing she was supposed to do, but she was already pushing her chair back, getting ready to get up.

she thought about penelope, and nodded. "being small is not fun." she agreed. quickly. it was something she knew for certain, and would believe for awhile. being small meant you were picked on. being small meant you were picked over. being small meant you were never picked to join any of the gang type alliances that might keep a girl well fed on the streets. the only thing April's body lended her to was being able to lie and say she hadn't hit double digits. "I hope she grows a bunch. you know, there were these minstrels once that talked of magic beans that grew into the sky... maybe your sister could drink a potion made from them!" perhaps it would allow her to grow just a bit more. that would be something.

the strawberries were a lovely surprise. she grinned, looking at the mountain of whipped cream. "what is it?" she poked it, putting the finger in her mouth. "oooh i've seen this before!" she grinned, smiling. "wait. was i supposed to wait for you again?" she looked at felicity with nervous eyes. "I mean... I don't want to get beheaded."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back