• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kingdom of Faeden (FabricatedWit x RainyWrites)

fabricatedwit

It's all just a story
Felicity wiped at her mouth, tasting mud still even though she had washed heavily in the rain barrel by the training yard she had been working in. She didn’t know that mud still streaked her face, making her look more street urchin than the lady she ought to be. Then again, how many ladies went about in leggings and tunics, with their breasts bound and sword belts at their hips. Not that there was a sword attached to the belt. It had been one of her first private lessons, so wooden swords had been the weapon of the day. Despite all the effort she had put in her young twenty-one years in following after three elder brothers and one younger one, she knew she was going to feel sore after today’s lesson; all because she knew the tutor was not inclined to give her any quarter because she was a girl. He probably hoped to scare her off that way too but… that would be a joke on him. With several siblings in the royal family Princess Felicity was used to all sorts of torments and tortures. Add to that the chestnut curls that her mother refused to let her cut and a sore bottom or aching arms were hardly going to drive her away.

Letty, as she was known to her family, hummed as she idled her way back towards the side door where she would enter the back of the castle’s keep, kicking a stone while trying to smudge away some of the excess mud from her boots as she wandered. Once inside she would have to wash in earnest and dress as a lady, something she truly was trying to avoid. All the delicate fabrics layered over her body, confining her just made her squirmy from the thoughts alone. Who said that being a woman was a good thing, ever? Well, her sisters and mother had tried to encourage her, reminding her that power came to women, not just men, if she learned to use it wisely. However, she had no desire to be the woman behind the man, whispering in his ear like some puppet master. If she were to have a man, then she wanted him to be her equal. It was simply doubtful she would find a man who had no qualm with letting his lady wife battle.

Her line of thought was broken as she came close to the entrance she sought, her blue eyes turning to the two braids that fell along her back, making sure that they were still tied snug, so the curls did not escape too much. Given their length and the curls themselves there was no hiding the fact that she was a lady without a cap, and thus far she had no reason to hide. After all, who would dare touch a daughter of Faeden’s royal family without knowing that they risked their own death if not given permission prior by the king or queen?

April was motivated by only one thing in life. her stomach. the kid simply wanted to eat, sue her. well, try to, anyway. nobody could ever really catch her standing still long enough to actively sue her. she was always moving fast, darting hands and darting eyes, before darting away to the meats shops to try and get something for today's troubles. she hated stealing, truly she did. but some people just weren't born with many options to keep their stomach full. April was among them.

today, she hadn't made any money. usually she took a coin or two from the better off peasants in the village. she never wanted to be the reason someone else went hungry. but taking just a little from several people was usually enough for a meal or two a day. today had been rough. the coinpurses hadn't been on the pockets she'd thought they'd be. or maybe it was just her hunger getting to her. because she went for a royal guard this time, figuring she could take enough for a meal in one swoop without hurting him any. and worse than that, she'd been caught. he'd felt her, grabbed her hand, and now she was dangling off the ground.

she twisted and kicked wildly, but it was disjointed and miscalculated. he kept saying things like she was under arrest for stealing and resisting arrest and other things like that. really she didn't care, she just knew she needed to get away. she didn't want to go to prison, she knew what happened to folks there. it would be bad. so when he got within range, she twisted and bit down on his arm, just trying to get him to let go.

it worked, but when she ran to escape, she ran directly into a peasant looking woman with an oddly framiliar face. she paused, just a moment, forgetting where she was and how close the guards were. those eyes were so framiliar... who was she?

and suddenly the hand on the scruff of her collar was back again, and she screamed as she was picked up again, back to furiously kicking to get away.

Not being very tall, it was easy to mistake Felicity as a lad when she looked the part. She knew the second the body connected with hers she had not been paying attention to her surroundings, and though she only stumbled back a step mentally she began to berate herself, even as she stepped back again to avoid the flailing feet that were soon up the air. It didn’t take much to realize that she was looking at a girl, being as she was one herself. Well, there was a chance that it was a very pretty boy, but Felicity was willing to take a wager on the ragged clothes that this was not one of those. Pretty boys often found comfort where they didn’t have to risk stealing from others.

Tossing the braid back behind her while she straightened her spine, Felicity looked over the duo that were making a good deal of noise before speaking, “Be quiet!”

The guard did as he was told, even if his face went red as he did it. Felicity waited for him to counter her command before she set her hands on her hips and gave the girl in custody another look, this one harder. “So, she was trying to steal? Looking at her I can imagine why; I doubt she’s had a full meal in her life.”

Her tone wasn’t nasty but matter of fact, and with a small sigh she spoke to the girl. “I need you to quit squirming so I can get a good look at you. If you can listen to commands and keep your fingers to yourself, I just might have a job for you. It comes with a bed and food, but you’ll be answering to me.”

“And the king,” the guard butted in, making Felicity narrow her pale blue eyes at him as if his contribution was required.

“Everyone answers to the king, do they not? Very good? Thank you.” Felicity was quick to speak and while she watched the guard’s face grow redder, she spoke to the girl again. “I don’t live a sedate life, but I can promise that if bullies like this one lay hands on you again they’ll also answer to me.”

Turning her attention back to the child, for it was hard to tell if puberty had even made a mark on the little spitfire, Felicity gave a quick smile. “And if you like I can teach you a few moves to help you in self-defense. Nothing with weapons but you won’t be risking your teeth.”

April didn't know what it was about felicity, but she listened. the moment she was ordered to be quiet in that tone, she was. she stopped yelling and thrashing, although one final well aimed kick in the gut to the guard who was currently holding her by the throat seemed warrented. she stopped when the hands when on the... person's hips. she wasn't quite sure whether this was a boy or a girl in front of her, although based on vocal pitch she was willing to put money on girl. if she had any money. which she didn't, because that stupid guard had-... she was getting off track.

the woman spoke at her, about her, and April stared right back. something clicked inside her, and she finally realized. she was glaring at a princess! that... wasn't good. these weren't just any royal guards. they were GUARDING THE ROYALS ROYAL GUARDS. right. that explained why he'd been so quick to catch onto her scheme. it was a lapse in judgement. but then she was being offered a job, and food... her stomach growled, but she was suspicious regardless. "you're lying." she accusued, blatently. "you're trying to get me to go quietly. well I won't. I'll bite him again... I'll bite you."

that was... perhaps not the best idea to say to a future employer, but honestly... april didn't believe that she was a future employer. she believed that the princess was lying. who would hire a theif? especially one like her? she was small at best, runty at worst, and she knew it. she'd just been caught trying to steal from the royal guard. what type of work could the princess possibly want with her? "let me go!"

Thick eyebrows rose when the stomach growled and try as she might Felicity couldn’t stop the smile from taking her face as she saw the child put two and two together. She wasn’t dumb, and that was even better. Suspicion was good too, though right now it was a pain in the ass. Lifting one shoulder, Felicity spoke. “You’re right, this could be a trap. I realize that it sounds too good to be true. But what do you think is going to happen to you for attempting to steal? For one, you’re too young to do the menial labor that we may have prisoners do. Second, there isn’t a jail for children. Third…”

Felicity stepped closer, well within kicking difference. Hell, if the guard “lost” his grip on April then she would be in biting distance for sure. “You could bite me. It would be your death, though, and considering how hard you just fought I doubt you’re inclined to die today.”

Straightening her tunic with a few tugs at the sleeves, the pale blue eyes finally broke from April’s gaze. “How about this for an agreement. You and I will enter the keep alone, the guards will remain out here. I shall take you to the kitchens, where you can have a plate of whatever the cook is serving to think over the offer. If you decline, then you are free to go. No charges, no punishment for threatening a royal. However, the offer will remain the same even after you eat and leave. I will give you one day to think it through.”

Felicity looked back to April then, her hand reaching out to shake. “Do we have an accord?”

"I think..." she didn't want to accuse the princess, really. but she'd heard rumors. stories. and they weren't ones she was sure bore repeating, but she HAD heard things. "I heard you kill kids. or send them away." she'd heard of men who took children away to shoot them. be rid of street vermin. rats. she'd heard of orphanages that were as good as prisons for children, to hold them until they turned of age to be locked away for life. and April's hands ached to steal. she knew she'd just get in trouble again and again at a place like that.

and yet. a bed? a meal? every day? she didn't want to say no. she really didn't. she wanted it to be true. but the last time she'd been promised something like that, and fallen for it... she hadn't eaten at all that day. or the next. the princess was right about one thing. she didn't want to die. and she didn't want to fight, really. she wanted a meal, and then to eat it somewhere warm. perhaps to linger a few minutes before she returned to the cobblestone alley she lived in. and she seemed sincere enough. it gave april pause.

so she thought. and then... she spoke.

"on one condition. or two." she said, deciding. "one. you promise on.... on your father's life and crown that I don't die today, that I get to eat and walk away standing." she honestly didn't know why this was an offer. why was she getting away with this? still, she wanted it fair. "and two. if i decline the offer tomorrow... then I still don't get in trouble." she didn't want to be hunted down in twenty four hours because the offer had expired. she really didn't. "that agreed..." she met the princess's hand. and it was funny, she couldn't tell in good faith whose was dirtier.

"deal."

A grin crossed Felicity’s face as April added to the bargain. She gave a nod even as she shook the younger girl’s hand. “Deal.”

Her gaze rose up to the guard after, her eyebrows raising as if silently questioning why he had not yet released the girl after being privy to their conversation. She saw the thunderous look he gave her, and the mutter of gutter rats feasting at the lord’s table, but he released April.

Satisfied, Felicity smiled and motioned towards the door, making sure her steps weren’t too fast for April to keep up with while the guards took their posts outside the door. “So what name do you go by? I’m Felicity.”

Her eyes rolled as she added, “Once you get past the Princess or Your Grace.”

She was trying to keep the conversation moving as they walked, not wanting April to realize just how many people were watching them. Felicity was used to the attention. Even if she wasn’t odd in her chosen field of practice she was a princess, and royals were always under someone’s watchful eye.

“There is a water pump we can wash our hands at by the kitchen door and then we can go inside. The cook is adamant about clean hands.”

Felicity reached up, touching her face where she felt grime drying on her skin, and making a face as she found drying mud on her fingers. “Clean faces as well. Damn, I thought I had washed it all away.”

she shook felicity's hand, a small grin coming onto her own face. something told her this royal wasn't anything like the others. well. something more than the outfit choice. and the way that she didn't have a crown on... and the way it had taken a moment to figure out if she was a boy or a girl... okay. there was a whole lot of things that April took a shining to with the princess. she decided she liked her, at least in a passing way.

and then she was uncerimoniously dumped on the ground.

she scrambled up, perfectly okay with it. she had years of dirt and grime all layered together. she slept in the stuff. what was a little more? still, when she stood up, she may have made a point to step on the guard's toes just a bit. she had to scramble away before he could retaliate, knowing that his boots were probably a lot sturdier than her own. she didn't really want any more hurt today.

"I go by april. or rat, if you're feeling pretentious." that was what all the higher ups tended to call her. she could feel eyes on her from all sides, and she ended up knotting her hands in her thin cloak. when she felt uncomfortable, her hands tended to get a mind of their own. it typically invvolved stealing. and she did NOT want to be a theif today. not with this oppertunity on the line. if it was one... which it seemed to be.

"I haven't had a clean face in..." had she ever had a clean face? she heard mothers often yelling at their children to clean behind the ears or some mythical gift-giver wouldn't bring presents. she'd never had the water to do that. perhaps that was why her luck was so rotten in life. the gift givers had all passed her by due to dirty ears. she thought about that a lot. "Maybe I should... wait out here?" if the cooks were so adament about cleanliness... they certainly wouldn't like april one bit. even if she didn't intend to steal today.

“April?” Felicity grinned, “An unassuming name for such a spirited person. I would have thought at least Autumn with that head of hair.”

Not that Felicity thought she was seeing the full shine of it. It looked auburn but she surmised it was more due to lack of personal hygiene opportunities than anything. Still, she was trying to put the girl at ease… even if it seemed like she was failing.

When April mentioned remaining outside because of the cook’s preferences, Felicity set a hand on April’s shoulder and stopped her from walking so she would look up at her. “We will scrub our hands and faces. They may not be perfect but better that we try than to simply give up. And if the cook bemoans that we didn’t do as good of a job as we could have then she can fuss and grump about. You are my guest, though, and while I may not have much say in this world and its going-on but I do trump a cook.”

Felicity smiled after, her hand giving a squeeze before letting go. “Besides, she has a soft spot for misfits. It’s how I manage to eat without worrying about being dressed all fancy.”

Walking once more, she added, “Fancy food can taste good, but often it’s weird looking, messy, and requires the most obscure utensils you will ever see. Not to mention what you’re actually eating.”

Reaching the pump, she grabbed the empty bucket from the small bench that held a neat pile of washcloths, a large bar of soap, and a towel to dry with. Setting the bucket under the pump, Felicity began to work the handle. “Grab one of the small cloths and the soap, scrub them together under the water and then use it on your face.”

Once the water was freely going, Felicity gave a breath before adding, “And if you could help me make sure my face is clean I would appreciate it. I’m willing to return the favor as well, if you want.”

she nodded, assuring that Yes it was her name. even if autumn did make sense. her hair was a dark red, but it was still redder than most of the people she'd met in life. she honestly had no idea her hair and skin were both a feww shades paler than she'd thought. not yet. "but I was born in april. or... that's what the others thought." nobody was quite sure, but they'd all tossed her around calling her the april baby until that was what she responded to. and as she outgrew the baby part of her name, she just became april.

there was a hand on her shoulder, and april was looking back into the woman's trustworthy eyes. she nodded, breaking their eye contact for a moment. she felt like she was being lectured, even though she knew she wasn't. felicity was saying don't listen to anybody else, you're going to be okay. and the fact that she'd spent her whole life hearing that was wasn't made it uncomfortable. especially considering the fact that this was coming from a princess's mouth. even though she had to giggle at the end of it, meeting her eyes once more. yeah, she did trump a cook. DUH.

she nodded as she went to the washing station, taking the soap and scrubbing at her hands until they were pink. she probably spent five minutes on her hands alone, looking at her skin when it was all done. she'd gone up the wrist, but there was a clear line where the dust ended and her clean skin began. she looked up at Felicity, confused and astonished. "I didn't know my skin could be that white." shed always thought she was just tan. "do you think the rest of me is that color too? and my hair?" it was an interesting thought, and she wanted to take a bath right then to figure out the answer.

“if there is anything I can eat...” she shrugged. Food was good. She’d learned longago to never complain.”ill be okay. I’m never rude to cooks.”

for now, though, she spared a glance at felicity when she asked for an is-my-face-clean check. April saw a big smudge of dirt right next to her hairline, and pulled on her cloak to she could reach up there. once Felicity had bent within reach, April took a washcloth and gently dabbed it away, before giving her a thumbs up. then she splashed water on her own face, trying to uncover the skin beneith it. "can you help?" she asked, once she realized she couldn't actually see if she was doing it well.

Last edited:
Felicity was diligent in washing her hands, making sure under her nails were clean. Not because the cook was that studious of a person but because she didn’t want April to feel rushed. A glance at the girl’s hands showed just how pale she was versus the rest of her arm. It hurt her heart a little when April asked about the rest of her skin and hair. It spoke of how badly things should change, and yet she knew it wouldn’t. Someone somewhere would take advantage of a weaker or less knowledgeable person, and once more there would be victims.

Ignoring the way her instincts told her to squeeze April in a tight hug and offer her the chance to find out now, Felicity turned to wash her face as she answered. “Your hair is probably brighter than you think, not paler. But all that dirt kept you from the sun, and redheads are usually pale to begin with so…”

With a grin she glanced at April, “Yeah, you’re probably white as a ghost under all that dirt.”

When it came to April assisting her with washing her face, Felicity bent down and held still, murmuring her thanks once April was done. When the girl asked for her own assistance, Letty nodded and took up a clean washcloth. After scrubbing the soap against it to get it frothy with bubbles she began to gently scrub at April’s face. It took a few mistaken spots to realize the girl had a lot of freckles, but with a few rinses and care with the washcloth April was as cleaned face as Felicity was.

The older girl couldn’t stop the smile as she studied the finished result. “No one will recognize you, I’m willing to bet on that too.”

Rising with a stretch, Felicity then patted her stomach. “Okay, let’s see if we can’t get a bread bowl and something tasty in it.”

Much to her word, when the cook saw April behind Felicity, she set them both down with bread bowls filled with hot stew filled with meat, mugs of milk, slices of cheese, and each a slice of gingerbread that had an icing glaze on it. Felicity leaned in towards April, whispering as her eyes were focused on the dessert. “This woman knows all my weaknesses. She wouldn’t have to lift a knife much less a sword to get me to do as she pleased.”

With that Felicity picked up her spoon and began to dig in, showing some manners but mostly happily shoveling food into her face with minimal grace.

April couldn't help but smile, simply fascinated with her hand color. when she woke up from whatever dream this had to be, maybe she'd ask one of the store owners if she could pretty please wash her hands in their sink and see for herself. that was simply what she'd decided today was. it had to be a dream. she did dream about food a lot. and this nice fascinating royal, with the pretty voice and comanding eyes... it was weird and unlike reality. she missed the way Felicity's heart clenched, simply focusing on getting her nails clean. on the off chance that this was real, she wanted to be perfectly clean so she could stay clean for as long as possible.

"I like bread." she offered, as her face was scrubbed. she kept her eyes closed after the first drop of soap had stung her. she wanted to be strong, so she didn't wince. but she did keep her eyes closed, letting her poke and prod at her face, until she imagined she looked as clean as she did on her hands. white as a ghost. "Maybe I'm already dead." she said, laughing at the notion. maybe that was why she was so white. "maybe I starved last week. and now i'm just up and about causing trouble."

April looked at the place, before looking up at the cook. her eyes were as wide as the bowl itself, and she nodded her sincerest thanks. somehow, her mouth wasn't able to work. she hadn't had this much to eat in one day... ever, maybe. it was astounding to her. especially because she could see the cook going back to work. she had more food. more! April's mouth watered, and she looked at felicity with excitement and plain old ravenous hunger in her eyes. "can we start? o-or do we need to wait?" she wanted to eat it all so badly. and it was right there, too!

a dream. definitely a dream. but she didn't want to wake.

“I hope you’re not dead, I do need you for more than a pretty red hair and fair skin.” Felicity paused in her teasing, looking at April as she looked at all the food that was being prepared. It was a lot, especially as there were a lot of people in the castle that had to be fed. Finally, she gave a small shake of her head, pulling herself from her thoughts, and addressed April’s question. “Yes, you may eat but eat slowly. Don’t make yourself sick.”

A hint of a smile played on her lips, “As I said before you would be fed and offered a bed should you agree to working for me. That includes baths and clean clothes. However, I doubt you’ve had much to eat for a while and you can make yourself sick if you eat too much at once. Whatever you can’t eat now we shall wrap up and you can take with you should you decide to leave.”

Turning back to her own food, Felicity tried not to be too overly protective over April. It was hard not to seeing how she was clearly left alone from birth. It was a sad story, one that Felicity had never in its entirety. From the way nobles talked peasants bred like rabbits and expected help from those with money. To Felicity’s way of thinking a woman couldn’t help herself if she became pregnant, by husband or by some random man. There was nothing a woman could do to end the pregnancy without risking her life as well, and when there became too many mouths to feed then they must become like April, an unwanted child left to face a cold, lonely world.

The thoughts were souring her stomach, and so Felicity pushed them aside, thinking of how she could find nice things from her younger sisters’ closets for April to wear, and perhaps see about having her younger brother’s clothes tailored to fit April as well. All three had more clothes than what they needed and would never know that they were gone. They would do well until such time that April finally filled out from food. Even without knowing her age Felicity knew that a healthy diet would cause April to sprout a little higher and fill out her frame. By then they would know what sort of garments would best suit April for both inside and outside the castle… all of this on the assumption that she said yes. Felicity didn’t mind that it could very well be the food that caused her to agree, after all that was one of the main perks she had tried to use in enticing her to say yes.

she took another breath, as if steadying herself on the chair. she wanted to remember this food, exactly how it looked, so when she woke up in the morning she'd recall it. she took a big bite, then, of the meat first. that was something she'd learned. sugar might taste good, but never buy it for yourself. spend money on meat and bread, it'll keep you alive. and she was attacking her plate in the same way. and she had to pause, before looking over to the cook and ernestly staring her opinion. "this is the best food i've ever had." she decided she'd break her rules and try a bite of everything, just so she could express how delicious it all was. and it was all amazing.

she had to keep reminding herself to go slow, to pause between bites. she'd probably have to eat the whole soup here. but between the cheese and the cookie and all the rest of the food... she could probably eat for another day without stealing a penny. that felt amazing to think about. especially considering how good this food was. "i see why you like the cookies." she admitted to Felicity, quietly. "but this meat... it's so good." it was far better than any she'd ever had before. but she wasn't a picky eater. not in the slightest. she spent about five minutes in complete silence, practically inhaling the food whilst taking pauses every third bite. she didn't want to seem like she was ignoring the order to be slow.

despite her best efforts to eat every bite, she paused about a third of the way through the stew. she'd eaten some of the cheese, two, and drank the milk. that was all she could hold and a bit nmore, and she felt fat and lazy from it. April looked between it and the princess. "I... I'm done. now. I think." but then she paused, looking back at the meal. "every day? you have enough food for that?" it seemed astounding. so she paused, thinking it over, before realizing she didn't know what the job was. maybe she'd be doing something horrible. she didn't know. "...what's the job?" her voice was quite accusatory, honestly. there was a suspicion that had made its way into near permanence in her tone.

The cook took a moment to beam at April for the praise of the food before going back to her work, a few of the girls that worked beneath her giggling as they peeked at April and Felicity sitting side by side. As for Felicity she ate, but at a slower rate than her new friend. More she watched April eat, afraid that she was going too fast, that she would make herself puke up everything because she couldn’t make herself stop. Thankfully, that didn’t seem to be the case when she finally set down her spoon and leaned back in her chair.

At the question, Felicity licked her spoon then set it to the side so she could face April. “I need a squire. Squires don’t have to come from noble houses, but many do because they want to become knights and lords themselves and that is one of the ways to achieve such a title. However, I don’t trust any who might agree to serve me. I might be suspicious, but I’d believe they have ulterior motives involved and a knight needs to have faith in their squire.”

Leaning in, Felicity tapped April on the nose. “Now you’ve got fight in you, and you’re relatively intelligent from what I’ve seen. I can’t promise you that you’ll become a knight yourself or ever have a title, but I can promise you food and board. On top of this other things, like clean clothes, and, of course, the chance to earn coin.”

The last statement was waved away, like it was some paltry thing, but Felicity’s pale gaze slid to the scullery maids and other cooking staff outside of the cook. She didn’t want to talk about all her hopes and dreams before servants who would be paid richly by other lords and ladies to learn of the royal going-on. Turning back to April, Felicity picked up her spoon, twirling it between her fingers. “I know it doesn’t sound fantastical, or anything in the way of a fairytale, but it is what I can offer you.”

The spoon was set down as Felicity looked April in the eyes, “And so long as you are loyal to me, April, I would be just as loyal in return.”

she heard the offer. heard it. it took her a second to actually think it over, realize what it meant, and gasp. she heard the girls giggling. they were older than her, and she knew it. she could practically hear their thoughts. she'd heard them spoken aloud enough. that she was so small, so thin, so stupid looking. one creative insult had been 'you can smell the poor from awhile away, and I don't mean looks based.' she didn't understand how she could possibly be deemed useful to the princess. but the word squire was a whole different thing.

she'd seen squires before. they were always boys, always a few years older than her, and always children of nobles. they all became knights, who rode through town on horseback. she knew how it worked. and she knew it well enough to know that even if the princess was a knight who wanted a girl squire... well. April wasn't typical in any ways. and she understood the whole trust thing, but even then... "lady, we met ten minutes ago when I tried to rob your guard." probably not the best case to make, considering the job sounded like a way out of this life... but still. "in what kingdom is that trustworthy?" the others in this one seemed to make it clear that it wasn't here.

she didn't want to be a knight, really. or a squire. but all the other things that she was being offered... food, chlothes, a bed, honest pay? April honestly didn't know how she could refuse that. who else would give her this type of oppertunity??? "how could I say no?" she was trying to find loopholes. this all felt so fake. she couldn't figure it out, really. nobody was just lifted from their class. you were born poor, you died poor, and you did it with a smile. but... fair labor? a chance to be more than herself? "If this doesn't sound like a fairytale to you... I mean no ill intent. but it all sounds too good to be true. and when it does... it usually is. so what's the catch?" to be loyal in exchange for loyalty from the princess? there had to be a catch.

Felicity had wanted smart, and she would give it to April for questioning what seemed like an offer too good to be true. Pushing back her chair, she motioned towards the door. “Let us walk.”

It was more of a command than a suggestion, and soon Felicity would have April outside, taking her up along a route that led to the parapets. The guards on duty eyed the duo but made no act to stop Felicity as she found a bench for the two to sit on. Once they were seated again, Felicity turned back to April.

“You heard the girls in there, I know you’re not deaf. What you didn’t hear were the lords and ladies that keep this one or that one in their pocket. In this castle information is gold, and just because you work an honest job does not mean that you do not want more. I realize I am putting a good deal of faith into asking you to be my squire and to have my back,”

“It’s just a twist of luck that you tried to rob my guard instead of me.” She added, with a hint of a smile.

“But a squire’s job is not easy, and yours would be mixed in with tasks that some might deem to be more of… a maid’s task. Like bringing notes or fetching items for me that I cannot trust another to do without spreading some rumor or word.”

Felicity clasped her hands together in her lap, “I’ll make you learn to fight, at least hand to hand. How to be present but not heard or seen in a formal gathering. What I’m asking isn’t easy in the least, and you’ll have to fight that urge to fight someone when you’re slighted or picked on while in public. So, no, it doesn’t sound like a fairytale to me. But you weren’t easily bought, not by the offer of food, or freedom, or coin. So I’m hoping that this will work out between us.”

There was a pause before Felicity added, "If you agree that is."

She didn't want to leave, really. this was the food room. but she grabbed the rest of the cookie, just in case she never actually got the food that she'd been promised. promises weren't worth much, and yet the princess seemed to value them. April obeyed her quickly, although she sent a final wave to the cook. she really did hope the woman knew how good her food was. because it was amazing, and April wanted her to know that.

when she heard it, she understood. "I see..." that was how things were on the streets, too. food or money could buy most people's eyes. april herself had been told she was being watched, to see if she could handle herself well enough for an offer. but she always seemed to get in just enough trouble to never have her mouth bought. "I know how to fight. with a knife. maybe not all fancy. we fight a whole lot dirtier out there. but I can get someone away pretty good." that was enough for her, usually. even if she had lost her knife in the night a few days back. "the job doesn't sound too bad. really. I think I might even be good at... most of it." she wasn't good at holding her tongue. “What if people were mean to you? You can’t expect me to learn to fight and not USE it.”

And then the joke hit, about not stealing from her. "actually... i have something to tell you." she admitted, handing back the princess's ring. it had been one wrapped around a chain, easy to untangle. and in the nerves of being looked at on their way to wash, April had swiped it. it was a small thing, although she was sure it was worth a lot. but she had to explain herself. "I don't like it when a lot of people look at me. my hands get all itchy... I have to take something. I didn't even know I had it..." she honestly didn't until she'd had to hide it when they'd got to the washbin. "but then I couldn't tell you, because there were people, and the water was right there..." and she was going to get fed. it had honestly been a little distracting.

she looked at her feet, her shame burning on her face and visible because it was clean. "you probably don't want me anymore." she understood that. she respected that. but still...

When April produced the chain wrapped ring Felicity reached to her chest to feel where it ought to be before accepting it back. “Thank you.”

Her expression showed her surprise, and she was quiet a moment as she untangled the chain so the necklace could once more go around her neck. “It was a gift from my grandmother. One of the few I have from her since she has passed.”

To say it was an expensive ring would be like saying the ocean was large. While it was not gaudy the band itself was ringed with diamonds with two larger ones bracing a dark sapphire. April could have purchased a life with the ring, not just food for a day but a house filled with food and nice things that would have lasted her for years. Of course, Felicity would have felt inclined to have the guards search the streets for the ring and have it returned but that was neither here nor there since April had produced it all on her own.

Felicity looked from the ring back to April and saw her face burning. Reaching out she notched April’s chin into the crook of her fingers before pulling her gaze up to meet hers. “You righted what you did wrong, and I will not punish you for that, April. We all have our weaknesses.”

Smiling, she ran her thumb over one of April’s hot cheeks to try and soothe the girl. “You’re very good at what you do. We shall simply have to work on not being so visible, yes?”

Letting go of her face, Felicity sighed and leaned back against the cold wall. “As for if people are mean to me…”

She looked at April, studying her a moment before grinning, “We’ll find other ways to retaliate. I can’t have you learning how to break a nose with your palm only for some foppy lord to run crying to my father because I let you break his nose after he put on airs around me. Many people do, and I just learn to ignore them for the most part.”

Felicity leaned closer, her voice dropping, “That and one of my favorite guards ever so delicately told me that the fastest way to a man’s heart is between his fourth and fifth rib. It feels nice knowing I could slaughter them with a simple dining knife while at some banquet just because they laugh over my lessons.”

Sitting up once more, she smiled and shrugged, “See, we both have points to work on.”

Reaching out, Felicity poked the tip of April’s nose, “And you’ll learn some fighting in the very real chance that I do something dumb that gets me into trouble and you must rush to my father for help. They will be less concerned of your escape than they will be with mine.”

"I didn't mean to take something important. i just... people were looking. and I... i'm sorry. i'm so sor-" she honestly was. and she probably would've been blubbering for a lot longer if the hand hadn't come to her face. April was beginning to become desensitized the the affect Felicity had on her. when she wanted April silent, April was. so she quieted, although her eyes were clearly seeking reasurrance in Felicity's face. she had to pause at the words that came from her mouth. forgiveness. well and true, honest forgiveness. it was... weird.

when she stole, she always stole what she needed to live. and it always came down to getting caught or not. if she was caught, it didn't matter how much she appologized. she was thrown in the mud at best or the street at worst. so she just got good at not being caught. she'd only been caught once this month, and it had been today. so of course she had gotten the necklace. but something of this value, both apparent and sentimental... she admitted to stealing it and the princess of the land didn't care? she should be executed for that. and oddest of all she knew they both knew it. and yet, here she was, being forgiven.

"I..." she didn't finish the sentence right away, trying to formulate it in her mind. "I... I'd die for you." it wasn't said lightly. she said it with a weight that meant she'd been weeks or days from starving to death before. she said as a girl who had spent years just putting her entire energy into staying alive. and here was some princess who didn't have to give her the time of day, but out of the kindness of her heart (and with a bit of logic)... did this. offered this. and forgave.

"I don't think there's any way I can say no." she said, thinking it over. "I mean. I want to help you. and the food, and the bed. i've never..." she'd never had a bed before. or even walls. "as long as you promise I get to retaliate somehow... I suppose I could learn to hold my tongue. and my fists. and my knife." although she could already tell the amount of times she'd end up stealing from the princess herself to keep sane.... it might be dizzying. "can you keep things on you for me to take? if my hands get itchy."

“I hope it never comes to that,” Felicity said softly in reply to April’s declaration. She truly did. The thought of anyone dying for her was deplorable but a young girl that she had taken in off the streets, one she had become friends with and shared so much? Felicity wouldn’t find that tolerable in any way, and already she could tell that they were going to become something close to friends if not actual ones. She didn’t care if her family teased her about taking someone off the streets or calling April a pet project (or worse.) April was a person who had every right to live.

When asked if she could keep things on her the tension broke inside of Felicity and she gave a laugh before nodding, “Yes, I can see about carrying things on me for you to pick off. Though, it might take the guards a few times to get used to the sight.”

Tilting her head, she studied April. “So, if that is your version of agreeing to my offer why don’t we see about getting you a hot bath, and fresh clothes to wear? They may not fit perfectly but they’ll be clean and serviceable. Plus, it will give the staff time to set up a bed for you. It will be a servant’s bed but the room will be connected to mine rather than putting you in the quarters with the maids and such, so it won’t be large or lavish.”

"well, I do too." she agreed, admittedly. April was not one to throw her life around. she spent so long working to keep it up. she wouldn't just throw it away. but she would protect Felicity with it. and if april was one thing, it was loyal. she wouldn't ever even think of betraying Felicity. and anyone who tried to tempt her would simply be reported back to felicity. "But if it comes down to it... I think I would."

she watched the princess laugh, before laughing a bit herself. "I'm sorry. I just... I can't control when I need to. it's like... like going to the bathroom. I can hold it, but not forever. and i'd rather take things that are okay instead of things that aren't." she'd already vowed to never take that necklace again, now that she knew the importance of it.

she nodded, of course, because it was her version of agreeing. when she heard the idea, she nodded. yes! she wanted a hot bath. she wanted new clothes. she hadn't had new clothes in so long. and she didn't mind her bedroom being small. she'd have a room. she'd have a room and it would be near the best person in the whole kingdom's. that was all she could ask for. "wait. before we go... you're not going to throw me out, right? I... I don't want to get used to being clean, or a bed, or all of that... if it's going to go away. does that make sense?" it would be easier to just never know how white the rest of her skin was. or what color her hair was.

“Throw you out?” Felicity looked at April with surprise as she repeated the words before shaking her head. “No, I’m not going to just throw you out the door if all of this doesn’t work. I’d help you find… something. If not a nice family to work for then at least a good apprenticeship at a job that you wouldn’t mind, where you would get food and board just as you will here.”

Reaching out, Felicity put an arm around April’s shoulders and began to walk her along the parapet until they came to the stairs, leading the way down and further into the castle’s keep once they reached the bottom. “Not that I have any plan of letting you go, mind you. Even I realize that there needs to be time for adjustments to be made for both of us as we start this journey together.”

Smiling, she gave April’s shoulders a squeeze, “To be honest I’m rather excited for it. My brothers never liked having me under their feet and my sisters have no interest in fighting of any sort. So, it will be nice to share what knowledge I have, and my lessons.”

It would be hard to tell when they reached the part of the castle where the family lived, but Felicity stopped a maid who was walking down the hall to ask for her to get Annie and prepare a bath. Once the maid hurried off to do as was asked Felicity looked to April. “Annie, or Annette, is my maid and is probably in the middle of our ages. She’s a good person, even if she doesn’t understand my love of swords and fighting. She’s going help you get cleaned up and find you some clothes to dress in. We’ll do supper in my room while yours is being cared for.”

Felicity lifted an eyebrow as she studied April. “No stealing off Annie until she gets comfortable about you and your ways. I’m sure she can be talked into carrying a few items around in her pockets.”

Stopping outside a door that looked like any of the others, Felicity opened it to show off the small apartment of rooms she had to herself. There was a little sitting area with a fireplace and a chess board set between two plush chairs. An open door showed off part of a large bed resting in a heavyset frame that included curtains. The bed easily could have contained four people comfortably. The colors of the rooms were hues of cream, lilac, and mulberry, rather more feminine than Felicity appeared to be.

Walking inside, Felicity dropped into one of the chairs and began to pull at her boots before glancing at April. “You’re welcome to come in and look around while we wait for Annie. Your room is through mine, the door on the left. Normally Annie would have it but since she takes care of my sister Marie as well my mother gave her a larger room to accommodate for the extra wardrobe and other tasks ladies maids help with.”

"i'm not... very smart." she admitted, quietly. April, like many others in the kingdom, had never gone to school. she couldn't read worth a lick and her math skills boiled down to counting coins and memorizing how much it took for a meal. she knew practical things, like how to not get robbed and how to not get yourself in a punching battle with someone you can't face. but that was it on her educational standpoint. "But i'll work hard." she assured. "'n wash behind my ears and everything." it was a promise, and a serious one. she wanted to earn her place here. "I'll be the best squire ever." or at least, she sure could try.

she leaned into felicity's arm when she got the squeeze. it was funny. she hated being touched or grabbed, because most of the time it was so violent. but felicity seemed safe, nearly protective. April trusted her to put an arm over her neck, where she was so often grabbed. she knew how easy it might be for herself to end up dead from this. but she trusted. and maybe Felicity was just trustworthy, but the squeeze was not painful. it felt kind and April relished in it. even as every step she took brought her farther and farther into a world she felt so very wrong in.

"I won't. I promise." there weren't eyes down here. she felt pretty safe. maybe that was just because of Felicity being there. maybe everything would feel different the moment the princess left her alone. perhaps she was the fishtank that kept April from feeling too disoriented from leaving the ocean. April didn't know. but if this Annie girl was nice... april would try not to steal. and she'd try hard.

you know that phrase when they say a jaw drops? yeah. april had never understood it. but when she saw the room the princess lived in... wow. it was all so fancy, and the bed was so pretty. she didn't come in, just looking through the door for a long moment. it felt like a mirage. like she'd step through and fall straight through it, back into her alley with a big bonk on the head. man, she had to be hit pretty hard to hallucinate this badly. but Felicity went through, and got all comfy cozy, and april took a tentive step. real. this was all... real. or it sure seemed to be. she took her shoes off right by the entrance, not that it made much of a difference. her feet were just as bad, nearly. but she didn't want to track dirt everywhere. so she made the effort, exploring the room for a few minutes before finally opening the door to the maids room.

her room.

it wasn't much. not in comparison to the princess's, of course. but it still made April's heart stop. it wasn't much, but it was warm, and there was a bed, and a table... it all looked so perfect. "If I... If I wake up tomorrow and this isn't a dream..." she looked around her cozy little room, a smile unable to stop itself from growing on her face. "This is the best day ever." she couldn't help it, turning back to Felicity and grinning like a maniac. "I don't fit here, Miss. but I'm real glad you thought I might."

Felicity did her best not to track April’s movements. Not because she was afraid the girl would steal, to be fair April had said that she would if she got nervous and so Felicity was going to do her best not to be bothered by it should things turn up in odd places, but Letty wanted to see April’s reactions. It was a big leap going from one spectrum of the world to the next, and while Felicity didn’t know how to properly bridge that gap, she was going to do her best to be there for April.

April’s expression and words about waking up tomorrow had Felicity smiling and laughing in response, which was how Annie found them. While Felicity looked lean and lanky with her outfit and bound breasts, Annie was perhaps the polar opposite. She had reddish brown hair, that was braided into a cornet and neatly in place. She stood three inches over five feet and was curvy in the chest, hips and thighs. Annie often took to dismaying over her figure and height, the girl by and large very relaxed when it came to private time with the Princess Felicity. She closed the door behind her, glancing down at the shoes that April had left before going to pick up Felicity’s boots, making a clucking sound at the sight of the mud. “Why do I bother making you look semi-presentable when you always come back with mud?”

Felicity grinned more, “And this time my mud brought company.” She motioned over to April, “Meet my new squire, April.”

Annie took one long look at April before looking back to Felicity, “Is this a joke? Have your parents agreed to this?”

There was a shrug from Felicity who rose with a stretch of her arms up in the air, “No, but when they find out they won’t disagree. She’s a she, so she’s no threat to my virginity, and we both know that that would be the biggest contention. Everything else is teachable, and you’ll help, right?”

Annie’s dark blue eyes rounded for a moment and she motioned to herself, “When did I get volunteered for your shenanigans?”

Letty laughed and moved towards April’s side, “You’re always up for my shenanigans, don’t act like you’re not. And stop being so malcontent. You’ll startle April, and I refuse that you two be nothing but friends.”

Heaving a dramatic sigh, Annie looked to April then gave a small wink. “She’s the worst at getting her way, isn’t she?”

“Hey!” Felicity countered, hugging April to her a little, “Don’t try to turn her onto your side.”

Shaking her head, Letty looked back to April, “Don’t go to the dark side. She’ll try to bribe you with cookies but it’s all just a ploy. They make you wear dresses all day and learn how to properly use a needle.”

Annette laughed, even as she moved closer. “So how am I to help?”

Felicity looked to April then Annie, “She seems about Penelope’s size, don’t you think? Enough so that a few old outfits wouldn’t be missed. Plus, we still have Anthony’s wardrobe he just grew out of for trousers, shirts, and boots.”

Nodding with a thoughtful expression, she set her hands on her hips. “I can swing that; or sew it really. You’re lucky Penny loves to dress up so much.”

Felicity rolled her eyes and released April as she added, “My youngest sister has an eye for fashion that pales in the comparison of Selena and I, and Selena is nearly the perfect princess. You’ll be one of the most fashionable squires.”

A kind smile touched Annie’s face, “But don’t worry, I’ll do my best to keep the gowns simple and nothing too outlandish.”

“But first a bath, which I already requested” Felicity said, going to the fireplace to prepare to light it.

“Of course,” Annie agreed and looked April over again, “You’ll need under things and nightgowns too. Wait here, I’ll see how far we are with the bath and gather some things for you to change into for the night once you’re clean.”

With that Annie stepped out, her skirts swishing along the edge of the door and frame as she slipped through. Felicity would glance at April from where she was holding a flame to the tinder. “I realize that was the fastest introduction ever but Annie is efficient, not to mention Penelope will be with her friends so now is the perfect time to pilfer from her closet.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back