• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Keep Moving Forward

"Hey O'Hara take this to table nine okay and be quick. Your daydreaming is wasting valuable time."

Alannah sighed and nodded as a tray was practically thrown into her outstretched arms. If she had to pick where she would see herself five years after graduating high school, waiting tables at a restaurant in New York would not be it. She had been living her true dream since the age of nine. Her true dream had been to be a star on Broadway, nabbing all the leading lady roles. Her true dream had been to hear the cheers of an adoring crowd every night, feel the rush of adrenaline as she performed her heart out and to receive flowers at her last performances. She had had all that, until recently when the dream was shattered by the false accusation that she had deliberately sabotaged another actress's chances for the lead role in her newest show, Wicked.

Alannah had no idea how the rumour had started but it had left her with almost no hope of a future on Broadway. No one in their right minds would cast her any longer and thus, she was here, a washed up actress waiting tables.

She put on her best smile as she walked over to table nine, not really being present, but acting as if she was. "Hello sir, here's your order," she said, placing the tray on the table in front of the customer, barely noticing him, since there were so many customers. "I hope it's to your liking."

Ryland, for once in probably two years, had the day off so he decided to head downtown and spend a day out doing whatever he wanted. His first time was a restaurant downtown that he loved for their fancy burgers and sweet potato fries. He was seated at a table near the window and when the waitress came around, he didn't even have to look at the menu.

While waiting, he spent his time going through all the social media sites he had up on his phone.. Which was a lot. Being in the media world required him to constantly be on top of everything and anything that was happening in world. Don't get him wrong, he loved his job and it was all he ever wanted and more and it seemed silly to complain about getting to write about and meet celebrities but like any job, he got tired. On a normal day, he was in the office by eight in the morning and some nights, like before they sent everything thing of to the printing plant, he could leave no earlier than eleven at night. It was a full time, life-consuming profession.

He scrolled through his twitter and the endless tweets from the A-Listers, promoting their newest album or movie or their newest picture of them in their private jet on their way to some foreign country.

He looked when he heard someone's voice and he smiled, seeing that it wasn't his usual waitress but a one that he was sure he'd never had before. He didn't mind. She was prettier than the other one, in his opinion. "Thank you," He told her with a smile,"Are you new here?" He was always making conversation wherever he went. It was as if it was second nature.

Alannah had been ready to walk away as soon as she had set the plate on the table and was so caught up in her thoughts and replaying the Les Miserable soundtrack in her head that she barely realised the man was talking to her, until she saw his lips moving. She blinked a few times in surprise and smiled again as she replied.

"Oh, yeah I am. I take it you eat here a lot if you noticed that," She said, thinking she could've possibly phrased that better, "I mean, maybe not a lot just...often." She laughed a little nervously, noticing he was incredibly good looking, almost like a model.

Handsome guys never usually made her feel nervous. After all, she worked with them all the time. She was clearly losing her touch.

Ryland smiled at the girl who seemed to get fumbled up with her words. The first phrase didn't bother at him at all because it was true.

He laughed though. "I'm here a lot," He assured her honestly,"I'm Ryland." He held his hand out to her to a shake as a formal introduction. He knew that he probably shouldn't wasting her time since she was on the clock and all but he couldn't help himself but be chatty.

He was around people of high esteem pretty much on a daily basis and usually he wouldn't think twice about it. He didn't even know this girl though and something drew him to her. Maybe that it was it; the fact that she was actually normal and that he didn't know a thing about her. Despite the fact that she looked absolutely exhausted and that he hair was slicked back in an uncomfortably tight ponytail, she looked absolutely beautiful.

Alannah laughed a little, relaxing slightly as she shook his hand. She knew it was probably unwise of her to be talking so long with one customer, but it was almost her break and he was being so friendly that she couldn't possibly be dismissive of him. The one thing she enjoyed about losing her Broadway starlet status, was that she was allowed to be invisible every once in a while now. No one that worked with her at the restaurant had a clue of her former job, and neither did most customers. The few who did, did not usually greet her kindly though.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Alannah, although you'll no doubt forget by the time I bring your dessert," she shrugged and laughed again, secretly hoping he wouldn't forget.

Ryland smiled, listening to her introduce herself. She came off as sweet and playfully, which was great. It was nice to be around someone who didn't seem too stressed out. Of course, he was just jumping to conclusions about her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Alannah. And I doubt I'll forget. I'm pretty good with names. Especially names that belong to pretty girls," He told her with a charming, picture perfect smile. Smooth. That was Ryland. Always sweet talking. It wasn't that he was a player or anything. He just was good with his words and knew how to get people to be his friend and trust him. It came in handy for his profession and had managed to weave it's way into his everyday life.

Alannah could not help but blush at his compliment, even if at the moment she did not feel particularly pretty. Her dark brown hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail that was now slightly dishevelled from all the times she had run her fingers through it due to stress, her uniform looked almost as distressed as her hair, and although she had tried to disguise them with concealer, there were noticeable bags under her eyes from fatigue. Glancing at the clock from the corner of her eye, she noticed that it was now her break.

"I bet you say that to every pretty waitress," she teased, "May I join you? I'm kind of on my break now and you seem interesting company."

Ryland chuckled and shook his head. "I can honestly say that you're the first waitress I've said it to," He informed it. It was a true too. He usually didn't just hit on anyone. He knew better than that. He wasn't one to get himself in trouble. He saw her look at the clock and thought that maybe she was going to excuse herself but he was more than pleased when she asked if she could join him.

"By all means," He invited with a gesture of his hand to the seat across from him,"How long have you been here?" He was intrigued to get to know more about her. He wondered if she was new to the city or something. Something about her seemed vaguely familiar but considering all the events and parties that he went to, it was easy to forget when and where he would have so he decided to not comment on it at all.

Alannah took the seat opposite him and relaxed considerably. She hadn't realised quite how tired she was or how much her feet ached from standing all the time, but she was grateful for the seat. She was not sure how much to tell him about herself, her life was rather like a bad movie at the moment and she didn't want to depress him with it.

"I haven't been working here for long...six weeks maybe. But I have lived in New York all my life. It's really all I know." She said, looking at him with interest. "So what about you, got anything interesting to tell?"

Ryland nodded, listening to her say that she'd lived in New York all her life. Well, he guessed his guess had been wrong.

"Did you grow up around here?" He asked her wondering which place she was most familiar with. He grew up in the heart of the city which was both a curse and a blessing. He really really liked it and felt like he was fortunate to live in such a nice flat but he'd never really got to experience the country or anything related to small.

He shook his head and laughed. "I'm not too interesting," He told her. It was a lie, but he hated telling people about his job because that meant he'd have to spend at least fifteen minutes explaining everything that he did and name-dropping which he wasn't in the mood for on his day off. "I have a really really fat cat. Is that interesting?" He asked her jokingly.

Alannah smiled as she recalled where she grew up. Although she was from New York, she had never lived in New York City until she moved there with her father at the age of twelve. Before that she had lived in Albany and only dreamed of living in the Big Apple. "Well, I grew up in Albany until I moved to Manhattan with my dad when I was a kid. He's an author and needed to be near the publishing house." She explained before laughing a little when he mentioned his cat, completely at ease now.

"You do? Oh I love cats! What's it's name?" she asked, leaning her head on one hand looking completely interested. It was nice to have a conversation with someone that didn't involve talking about choreography or the psychology of a character or how to sing something perfectly.

Ryland nodded and grinned. "Did you like it in Albany?" He asked her curiously. He was always intrigued about people's past because it helped shape them into who they were today. Even little things like that could change a person. He was kind of happy to hear that her father was a writer, as if it made a difference because he was one too. Just more more thing in common, he supposed.

"Carl," He answered and then laughed and shook his head. It was a terrible name but it fit his cat to a T. He looked like a pissed off, fat, old man who sat in an office cubical all day. He was really sweet though. "Do you have any pets?" He asked her curiously, wondering what else he could get to know about her before she had to go back to her shift.

Alannah thought for moment. Albany was a lot different than the hustle and bustle of New York City and she had been teased a lot for loving theatre so much at school, but she did hold a special place in her heart for the place. "Well, it was okay there, but I've always preferred it here. I think your cat's name is pretty quirky by the way. I don't have any pets, but I wish that I could. My old job kind of had me travelling a lot so I wouldn't be able to look after a pet." She sighed wistfully, knowing she had to go back to the grind in a few minutes but wishing she could stay and escape from it forever.

Ryland looked over at Alannah who was sitting up on the couch while he was sitting on the floor, playing video games. Carl had his found his way to her lap and he looked like he had no intent of leaving. He smiled a little bit and shook his head, looking back towards the TV.

"It's really not that hard. I can totally teach you how to play," He assured Alannah who kept denying even trying to play. He was playing Forza Horizon, which was a racing game. It was just a matter of knowing when to break or put on the gas. She was smart enough to figure it out.

They'd been hanging out more than he thought that they would have and he was completely fine with it. They both had crazy work schedules but if they happened to find a time they both had off, they were doing something. They were hanging out at his house while they tried to think of something to do that they hadn't already.

Alannah stroked behind Carl's ears every so often, absently playing with his paws as she watched Ryland play video games in dismay. She had never been great at video games and even if it was him asking, she was not about to embarrass herself.

"I told you before, every time I try to move the car I end up crashing it into a lamppost or something," She sighed, rolling her eyes, "I think I'll stick to waitressing thanks vey much." She laughed a little, and kept watching him play. She had never expected that she would be around him so much, but she certainly wasn't complaining. He had been one of the only things keeping her going whilst she still couldn't revive her career.

Ryland chuckled softly, listening to her.

"I never said you had to be good at it," He told her with a smile. He left it at that though, not wanting to push it anymore. It would be a silly thing to fight about. He moved up to the couch and sat on the other side of her feet while he continued to play, starting up a race.

"Do you like waitressing?" He asked her curiously. When he'd met her, she seemed miserable and whenever she talked about work, it seemed pretty shitty. He didn't see why she didn't try and get another job. The city was full of opportunities and a amazing girl like her was a shoe-in for almost whatever she wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back