• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: Earth Reborn

“Well I mean we’re still alive aren’t we?” Kairo asked. “He could have just left us here to die, but instead he went out of his way to save our asses. That has to say something.”

"I don't think he was saving us." Rufus shook his head. "You still got some blood on your forehead from earlier." He pointed a thumb at the sleeping predator.
"Didn't see him giving a crap, did you?"

Kairo raised an eyebrow. “Not us?” He asked. “You’re saying he’s just here for Darrek?” It didn’t make much sense to him at all why the Feral would care about someone he’d just met. But yet he seemed to care about the younger Irokai so disproportionately that Kairo couldn’t brush off the possibility.

"I don't know. Maybe?" He shrugged. "All I'm saying is, he's not telling why. He definitely doesn't want us here, so that alone has me on edge around him."

Lawrence kicked in his sleep, his dreams making him murmur.

Kairo turned back to look at the Irokai in question. Rufus did make a good point, but then why would he have gone through all the trouble to follow them here? So many things just didn't seem to add up in to him. It was beginning to worry him as well.

He shook his head slightly, he believed that the Feral was more than he seemed. Besides, at least he hadn't shown any intention that he'd wanted them dead....ignoring that first time. If the feral had wanted, he knew that he would have been long dead at this point.

"Well don't try and worry about it too much." Kairo said. "He doesn't seem like he wants to pick a fight or anything."

"Well . . . You're right. You are right." He sighed. "I'm sorry, I am pissed but it's not all about pretty boy over there."

Rufus looked over his shoulder to see the Feral twitch his clawed fingers, they clacked quietly when they rubbed against each other.
"The whole point of this job was to find a lay of the land and get some supplies to get back to the camp.

Between the midget and the gang out to turn us in for cash, things haven't exactly worked out well." He frowned with a heavy sigh.

Kairo could only nod in agreement. "It's been rough the last few days. That's for sure." He mumbled. "Back at camp, everything still felt so civilized and scheduled ya know? But out here you never know what's going to happen. And to be frank with you I'm really scared of that." He glanced down at the floor, thinking about everything that had happened. He was expecting an easy courier job. They'd be there and back without any kind of complications. The reality on the other hand, seemed to be the complete opposite.

"Hey. I get what you mean by having to be on guard as a courier though. Take that as you will." He laughed lightly, trying not to make the humour sound forced.

Rufus chuckled as well, rubbing his eyes of the growing need to rest.
"Hell, not the first time I had to shoot my way out of a bar stop." He shrugged. "I tell you about my trip to Hong Kong before the flood?"

A genuine smiled crossed Kairo's face. "A story from Rufus." He said, adding a whistle for emphasis. "I'm expecting to hear great things."

The next hour was filled with a tale from Rufus's treasure hunting life. Following the evacuation of many metropolitan cities along coastlines due to the Coastal Apex, or Tiatritus as she was called now, a private collector hired Rufus to retrieve a jade pendant from the Han Dynasty.
At this part in the story, Rufus shrugged saying that it seemed like an easy job. Later on, he would delve into the obstacles he faced having to enter the city through abandoned metro tunnels and encountering the band of mercs hired by a competing collector to retrieve the same prize.
Underground gunfights, a brawl with a man wielding shotgun gauntlets, and car-sized subterranean insects were the dangers he faced navigating the tunnels in the race for the pendant.
Once in the city itself, he and the last remaining mercenary following the attack by the 'Big Fucking Bugs' as Rufus called them, briefly allied to make it through the city safely with their limited supplies.
Once the two reached the vault where their objective was hidden, the merc (who went by the name Dain), tried to backstab Rufus leading to a struggling brawl with the two.
It was cut short once the explosive set to blow the vault went off and unknowingly drew the attention of a nesting Hypo in a nearby skyscraper.
Dain was lost in the resulting rubble and Rufus barely escaped with the Han Dynasty treasure in hand and even managed to hotwire a beat up vehicle to make distance between the territorial fire breather and his evacuation point at the airport.

"Needless to say," Rufus yawned. "The pay was good but that fat bastard skimped me on the requested bonus of kicking the competitor." He concluded his story.

Kairo listened intently throughout the story, as if he was a child meeting his hero. There was no denying that Rufus’s past life was intensely captivating to him. So much so that he felt a bit disappointed when the man had finished.

“That’s more interesting than everything I’ve done in my life combined.” Kairo chuckled. “Gotta say. Out of everyone that I could’ve gotten stuck with in this mess, you really are the best choice.”

Rufus made another glance at the two Irokai. The Feral had his tail coiled around hinself by the now-smokdering fire, and Darrek was leaned against a supporting pillar with his arms folded over each other.

"Certainly a noble bunch we are." He watched the nonhumans with a softness in his eyes. Despite his suspicions, he also knew that these Archos were very similar to people. They had their own culture, their own stories and beliefs. It was easy to remain ignorant that humanity was now just a guest in this age of the Earth.

"I'm going to call it." He yawned again, shutting the window and standing to find a spot to lay his jacket down as a makeshift bed.

Kairo smiled. It seems something had occured that had caused Rufus to change his mind about staying up. Whatever that something is, Kairo appreciated. The last thing anyone needed now was to be up all night.

"Good idea." kairo admitted. "It's getting late. Might just sleep too." He walked away from his position by the window, leaving his now empty bowl by the windowsill. Now back near the fire he took off his hood and rolled it into a makeshift pillow.

Rufus found a spot facing the door to lay his jacket down to lay upon. He kept his hand over his gun and maintained vigilance for a bit longer before sleep finally overtook him.

The ashy remains of the night's dire were being kicked into smoldering embers by Rufus's boot as the light of dawn started peering through the holes in the ceiling.

"Somebody wake up Kairo." Rufus stretched, fully aware only one of the Irokai would bother listening.

Darrek and the Feral were both up and about, the older but smaller one perched by the farthest window to inspect the morning surroundings. The silver one approached Kairo and softly pushed him with his clawed foot. If his heavy footfalls hadn't already awoken him that is.

“Mmmmm. Fuuuuuuck.” Kairo groaned, waking from his slumber. Even though this was up there on the list of most uncomfortable rests he’s gotten, his aching and tired body more then welcomed the rest. So it was no surprise that Kairo was more then just a bit disappointed when Darrek nudged him out of his deep slumber.

Lazily sitting up, he groggily opened his eyes and took a quick glance at the window. The outside world was illuminated by the peaking sun, just enough so to colour the jungle with inspiring hues of orange and red. To Kairo though, this only signified a start to the day that was painstakingly to early.
“Mornin.” Kairo rubbed his eyes. “Guessing we’re heading out soon?”

"He woke us all up." Darrek mumbled, shooting a dagger-sharp glare at the Feral.

"You're all going back to Drafisl?" The crooked jaw Irokai asked, seemingly wide awake.

"Seems so." Rufus put on his jacket and brushed off collected patches of dust.

"Then you'll follow me. I know the quickest way." He donned his cloak and spoke a command to the triplets, who soon after bounded outside.

Kairo unrolled his hood, donning it once again. Before grabbing the crossbow he’d found at the trade post. His legs still felt heavy as he bent down to do so. Hopefully the morning walk would kick that grogginess out of him. If not that, then the thought of a warm bed back at Drafisl.

“Sounds like a plan.” He said, stretching his arms. “Sooner we get back the better.”

The Feral didn't respond to him. All he seemed to be occupied with was getting back on the move. He pushed open the great doors to the hall, which even for a runt was quite the impressiv feat of strength, and began the walk.
Rufus followed behind him with cautious behavior. Darrek kept pace with Kairo, and once outside the dusty Kendian den, the journey back to the village was begun.
None spoke for a while, probably because of the present drowsiness, but after half and hour of stretches and animalistic yawning Darrek was the first to begin a conversation.

"So two Archaic and two Irokai are walking through the jungle . . ." He began, making the statement sound like the beginning of a joke. "I forget how it ends, but it's a strange group nontheless." He chuckled. "So," he looked at Kairo. "Don't think they had as many jungles around then. What was an Old World city like?"

"Pffft. That's a loaded question." Kairo said, giving it some thought. He wasn't entirely sure how to answer that. Never in his life had he been asked to explain how his world was like. In fact, just a while ago he was never expecting that world to even be gone. If he wanted, he could have gone on forever about all the little details, but Darrek definitely wouldn't want to deal with that.

In the end, maybe it would be better to just let the man choose. "You got anything in mind you wanna know about?" He asked, turning to face the Irokai.

"Umm . . ." He tapped one of his claws against his teeth as he pondered. They were filed to be blunt at the tips unlike the Ferals curved and sharpened claws.
"What are those things you rode around in like? What are they called . . . Not carriages . . ."

"Cars?" Rufus guessed.

"Yeah that's it." Darrek smiled, his tail 'thwapping' on the jungle floor in a moment of excitement.

Kairo could only smile at the excitement that Darrek radiated. He had to say, he’d never imagined anyone to get this excited over just the concept of a car. Then again, he couldn’t say much considering how much he’d fanboyed over trivial things as well.

“Well it’s not far off from a carriage. Except maybe more advanced.” Kairo answered. “I heard that before my time, everyone used to own one. But then the world went to shit and it was more a privilege than a commodity.” He perked up a bit at that, seemingly remembering something. They’ve got more vehicles at camp! “If you want, I could probably show you one! Though we’d have to wait till my people get used to you guys.”

The Feral turned to glare at Kairo with his mauled lip curled to show his curved collection of teeth.
"Your people will stay in their own land." He growled ferociously.

Darrek slowed his pace and shrank at the harshness of his tone. Rufus tensed, naturally expecting an attack.
The Feral glanced between the suspicious gunslinger and the mechanic, and kept walking.

Kairo jumped a bit at the sudden reprimand. He wasn’t entirely sure why the Guest seemed so opposed to that idea. Isolation was never going to be the answer to anything.

“And how will that make things better?” He blurted out almost instantaneously. Though he quickly regretted it. This was the last person he wanted to piss off, but the words were already out there. Nothing much he could do about that.

"How do you think your leaders would see us? People . . . Or animals?" He spoke without looking at Kairo. "For now, it is better that all the Archaic stay huddled in their ship."

Darrek cocked his head. "You've seen it?"

Rufus chuckled. "He invaded it. Got to commend you on that slick escape, though. Heard you knocked Bentley for a loop."

The Feral grunted as a response. Rufus continued remembering their prior encounters with the Irokai. The 'first contact' leading to a chase across the lower levels of the Noah and the second meeting when he snuck into the First Expedition settlement.
It was in that moment, Rufus realized something important. He slowed his pace to allow Kairo to catch up to him and then leaned in to whisper.

"He knows where the ship is, and he knows where the Expedition is camping." He said quietly.

Kairo caught the jyst of what Rufus was trying to say. It was known information, but with his focus elsewhere, he’d never given it much thought. He gave Rufus a slight nod as he tried to figure out what that would entail for them.

“Don’t think we can do anything about that.” He whispered back, glancing at the two irokai to make sure they weren’t listening in. “Maybe we could get him to take us back?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back