Judging by grammar

You don't decide what a roleplay is about. Some people just want nice stories, some want to build worlds, others find it stimulating to create novel-worthy tales. All of those things are valid, hence why we support all levels of RP, be it short and simple, casual or long and detailed.

That being said, I usually judge by grammar. Not because I am a prick or want to exclude people, but because, much like it was shown above, it can heavily influence reading comprehension. Also, in worse cases, if someone consistently "writs lyk dis and wont use any putcnatuon or care for proper speling" then I'm guessing they don't care to put in effort and I find that to be, not just unpleasant, but a sign of no respect towards me or other players.

Also, change your tone, please. Ideally, we don't sound aggressive or attacking.

I jugde more by effort than grammar. However, I only have a certain threshold for bad grammar. I can accept mistakes such as for getting a conjunction word here and there, as I find myself forgetting to write them at times. However, If one's writing is completely incoherent to the point where I need to use googles to translate their sentences like an archeologist trying to decipher the lost world's ancient text, then I will judge you hard!

I wouldn't say I judge someone based on their grammar, but I do find it really hard to roleplay with someone if I'm constantly reading back through and mentally correcting their errors to understand what they're saying. I write better than I speak, so I'm not going to judge anyone based on writing. Typo's happen, missed punctuation happens, it's just human error. Now, if it were a constant thing with missing punctuation like quotation marks, I'd have to say something. That's too confusing for me personally.

I do not find it particularly surprising that people judge based upon grammar. This is, after all, a site reliant on words and writing ability.

I would disagree with anyone who judges a person's worth or intelligence based upon grammar. If anyone directly insults you because of your writing ability then that is small minded and mean of them.

If, however, a person is simply choosing to stop roleplaying with you because of grammar, there is no reason to get too upset with them. People have all sorts of reasons to stop rping with people. Rping partners can write too long or too short, they can have boring characters, they can fail to follow the guidelines of the rp, they can have poor pacing, or they may just lack creativity. Grammar is among those things that people may use as criteria when choosing an rp partner that they want to stick with.

Do not take it personally that some people do not want to rp with you because of your grammar. Rather find people who are not quite so uptight about grammar. Be good natured and take things in stride. There is no reason to feel badly just because your style of rping does not match the style criteria that someone else has. Being bad at grammar does not reflect your intelligence, but it's very important to some people that they partner with someone who has good grammar. Everyone should find the type of rper who best suits their criteria to rp with.

It all depends on the person. I, personally, am a grammar Nazi. Someone RPing with me that has bad grammar is less likely to get a reply. I understand that some people with bad grammar may be good in other subjects, so I'm not judging you unless I really know you. Even if you aren't that intellegent, I'm still not going to judge you. One of my best friends isn't the sharpest crayon in the box- and that's cool with me. However, if you are going to RP, I prefer to think of it as, 'Either have good grammar or learn it.' However, I know that isn't the case with anyone. I'm not saying I don't RP with people with bad grammar, I'm just saying that unless I'm really into the plot, I am not inclined to reply. :)

The whole Einstein idea in OP's post is like when people say 'Well Bill Gates dropped out and look at him!' Yes, he did drop out; from HARVARD.

Other than that, if someone mixes up some grammar like you're/your and such, I'd point it out but I wouldn't hold it against them. English is a fickle mistress of a language so I'd easily understand if people get confused or make mistakes. tho if i c sumone typin lyke dis dan it sez 2 me dat theyre not puttin effort in2 tryin an makin it diffcul fr othr players.

Side note: The reason that English can be considered difficult to learn may be based off of it's language history. The proto-English language is Germanic and thus shares a lot of words with them like house/haus. Though when the Romans came in and occupied it, they also brought in some of their words to the language (quiet/quieta) which technically makes English a Semitic language too, meaning it's partially derived from ancient languages like Greek, Phoenician, etc. That's not all though as when William the Conqueror invaded and took over, he brought a tonne of French influence which means that English also has a heavy Romantic influence too. In conclusion, English is a strange mixture of three of the most prevalent languages of its time and somehow works... mostly.

Being bilingual, I sometimes make little mistakes in one of my languages if I don't re-read a post, so I think this is one of those things we just have to be polite and tolerant about. Incorrect grammar does, however, tend to catch me off guard and just make it less fun for me. I don't think this is about elitism, it may just be about what each person is comfortable with.

I wouldn't flat-out refuse to rp with someone who has less than perfect grammar skills, because that would be hypocritical af. Would I prefer something correct, and therefore easier to read and comprehend? Obviously. This is writing, after all, it has to be readable.

I don't assume anything about someone with bad grammar aside from the fact that they have bad grammar. But I am definitely hesitant to rp with someone whose writing is difficult for me to understand. Again, I think it all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can barely understand a post and it's littered with errors it's OK to refuse.

But if they have just a few irrelevant mistakes in each post its kind of andick move to say no based on that.

(^ irrelevant error)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back