• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Journeys (high/dark fantasy exploration/adventure)

Charcoal

Wandering across the ocean of stars
I love journeys. I think a lot of people on this site do, seeing as a journey is generally the premise of many an RP.

But for me, even above the true meat of the story and the development of the characters present, I love movement. This is not to say I cannot enjoy emotional and psychological development, quite on the contrary. But something I am partial to in literature particularly, and something that is rarely focused on in an RP, is the concept of movement. Of literal physical movement from place to place. Whilst we might say that “they walked somewhere”, and after sometime we simply come to the conclusion that they have arrived, it can feel somewhat bland. This is not a downfall of the roleplays, it is simply a need to streamline the events and that is understandable considering how easy it can be to become bogged down in the location. So, I have an idea.

If anyone would be willing, what say we make an Rp that really /does/ focus on that journey? Each little detail of the scene, each tree and outcropping of rock and each ancient dungeon filled with mysterious enemies. I would like very much to create a world devoid of other intelligent life, a kind of limbo if you will, devoid of modern architecture and roads, the only buildings of an old, forgotten race that the two characters present do not know of. In fact, I have the idea that the characters would not know very much of anything - their memories before appearing in this strange, verdant but silent land, are forgotten. All that is known, is that at some point they appeared, walking through the rising and falling hills, around mist covered lakes early in the chill of the morning, over the precipice of a valley that tumbled away below.

I would like very much to paint as many pictures with our words as possible, not of emotion, but of earthly things, things filled with material and the workings of the ground beneath our feet. Of trees, and mountains, and animals, and forests. And once we have walked for many, many miles we might find the ocean, and the coast, the sheer cliffs of granite and grey stone, and chalk so white it burns the eyes.

Yes, the above is me being poetic and giving you a taste of what I mean. More poetry than it is story - though, you may be thinking I mean this to be silent. Really, it will depend on whomever would like to come and participate (and hopefully some of you will!). If those who take an interest would prefer to have some talking and chatting and thinking and some more action, then action they shall have! I have ideas for monsters and creatures and magic that we can gain and skills we can learn of an equally otherworldly nature. We can work together to make a very complex overarching lore for the history of the place, and the denizens who live in it, who ruled over it, and the gods that built it from nothing so long ago. But, I would very much like the scene to still play a very large part in the expansion of the tale. Not overpowering and alone on that metaphorical pedestal if you so wish it, but certainly up there.

So; I shall leave it here because I could describe for hours. Thought this post might be a little vague, and perhaps even more confusing, hopefully it's not too much so. We can discuss in PM’s if you’d like to take part or if you're wondering what in the world I've written here. I know this idea is incredibly vague, but I hope it makes enough sense to garner some attention.

Until then.

PS. A really good example of what I mean, is the game of incredibly similar title, "Journey". Communication is very limited, but the story it manages to tell is very fluid, deep, and very interesting with lots of ideas raised for the players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back