It's happening.

[QUOTE="Ker'ion]They can't make me use DV.
My group doubles the DV pools and rolls it as dice.

[/QUOTE]
Its no biggie, just don't divide it by 2 and roll as normal.

I always liked the 1E way, myself. The new way is technically "faster". But, I like when everyone is rolling. Keeps everyone engaged in the combat.

"Streamlining" doesn't mean "collapse everything into the one-roll nWoD engine." It means "you know what? A lot of this system was stupid, even actively detrimental to fun. Let's do something else." I'm sure there's someone out there who actually liked it, but we're not going to design a brand new system where it's reasonable to have to resolve 8+ basic actions separately, with as many as two separate dice rolls per action, as a matter of course each time a person's turn comes up. I think it's safe to assume the vast majority of people could at best be said to tolerate the way flurries worked out in Second Edition.

And, yes, we are very, very aware of how poorly non-combat was served previously. That's why we didn't even try to revise social combat; we just threw it out and built something else.

When it comes to "buying the same stuff again", that's going to be true in the sense, that, say, The Dark Knight is just Burton's Batman all over again. We still have the Realm, and the directional elements, but the map is different. Halta, if we end up talking about it at all, is not going to be stupid-huge. The Lunars aren't just some clumsy footnote.

Holy shit Plague of Hats. Will you sign my face?

Also that's very encouraging to hear. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what comes.

Grey said:
Holy shit Plague of Hats. Will you sign my face?
Also that's very encouraging to hear. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what comes.
Make that two face-signings.

And yes, all the sentiments from the designers seem to be the same: "We love the game too, but we can make this better."

If the last half of 2E books are ANY indication of quality and direction, I think we're in for a MASSIVE treat. If not, I think we're in for a MASSIVE treat. These guys are as passionate about the game as we are. That's all I need. :D

I like how PoH is being delightfully condescending, sardonic, and irreverent to the frothing nerd-rage on the WW forums, but is poignant and helpful here and on SA.

e/

Haku said:
Well... the comment about languages and such in the google doc gives me hope.
What google doc?

Man, I would totally donate a kidney to be able to help with the creation/playtesting of this thing. Or a liver. Those things regrow.

Well, PoH has a cozy home hear amongst the bosom of his fans.

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]Well, PoH has a cozy home hear amongst the bosom of his fans.
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
I am ready to make PoH, master of all things exalted on the site :D !

[QUOTE="Plague of Hats]"Streamlining" doesn't mean "collapse everything into the one-roll nWoD engine." It means "you know what? A lot of this system was stupid, even actively detrimental to fun. Let's do something else." I'm sure there's someone out there who actually liked it, but we're not going to design a brand new system where it's reasonable to have to resolve 8+ basic actions separately, with as many as two separate dice rolls per action, as a matter of course each time a person's turn comes up. I think it's safe to assume the vast majority of people could at best be said to tolerate the way flurries worked out in Second Edition.

[/QUOTE]
Oh, I love the flurries setup. I love 2e a heck of a lot better than 1e.

I just prefer active dodging to passive DV.

[QUOTE="Plague of Hats]And, yes, we are very, very aware of how poorly non-combat was served previously. That's why we didn't even try to revise social combat; we just threw it out and built something else.

[/QUOTE]Hmm...?
Oh, I ran it like normal combat, but you got stupid and agreed with whatever was said after you lost.

[QUOTE="Plague of Hats]When it comes to "buying the same stuff again", that's going to be true in the sense, that, say, The Dark Knight is just Burton's Batman all over again. We still have the Realm, and the directional elements, but the map is different. Halta, if we end up talking about it at all, is not going to be stupid-huge. The Lunars aren't just some clumsy footnote.

[/QUOTE]I want to see this now. Yesterday will be fine as well.

Holy crap. I love the devs. That's what it was that was bothering me. That's what was missing for me in 2E: open questions, mystery. I was struggling to build epic stories because all the good ones had been explained and I didn't want to get the details—stretched through ten books—"wrong".

Thanks to the devs for recognizing that and working toward fixing it. And thanks for removing the "sci-fantasy" feel. You're giving me my favorite game back!

I started Exalted early 2E. My ST just dropped us in the world and it was new and exciting.

And then setting books came out.

I miss mystery.

Mostly I just want to play an increasingly transhuman badass. I squee'd so hard when the Devil-Tiger tree came out.

I mean, having an internal metaphysical kingdom populated by subsidiary souls? Yes please, that sounds like great fun.

I'm glad to see something smoother and more robust might be on the cards for 3e...

I really am giddy with anticipation. In all honesty with the passion behind this I have little to no fears that this won't be a grand new addiction.

Grey said:
Mostly I just want to play an increasingly transhuman badass. I squee'd so hard when the Devil-Tiger tree came out.
I mean, having an internal metaphysical kingdom populated by subsidiary souls? Yes please, that sounds like great fun.

I'm glad to see something smoother and more robust might be on the cards for 3e...
Devil-Tiger was an awesome charm set. In a way it reminds me of the inner workings of an unshaped. Having separate souls and a world inside your belly.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]I am ready to make PoH, master of all things exalted on the site :D !

[/QUOTE]
Oh, I see, just selling me out like that, :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back