It's happening.

Part of the problem is that you kind of need the lore from 1e to make full sense of what 2e has. That is part of the problem. They build upon, because they can't exactly do a repeat of what 1e had... nor can they just throw out mechanics and say go and read 1e for fluff...

I'm curious as to what 3e will bring... as long as they don't proceed down the Solar/Dawn fanboyism, it'll be fine.

I'm not sure what to think... considering I just acquired Shards and love the new stuff. But then again I'm pretty open to systems shifts if its for the better. Just not a repeat of what WotC did to D&D which caused such a schism Pathfinder was born.

I agree there. 4E D&D was such a huge misstep, IMO. But, I think it would be hard for WW to mess up that bad.

Yeah, admittedly there are still a lot of players resistant to NWoD though. I see it a lot on RPOL. So its just how things go. Gamers care just as stubborn as everyone else.

Personally I want to see, but I want to get my monies worth from Shards. Because the Modern Alchemical rules are awesome.

Well, my friend in the Army will be back for a while next year. We're going to play the hell out of 3E!

I've never understood the tribalism that comes with different editions. For games that rely on co-operation and mutual entertainment, it seems counter-productive in almost every possible way.

That said, I am looking forward to this new edition. I don't have the same level of attachment that some might towards 2.5E, although I do wish that instead of releasing 2.5 they just skipped straight to 3E.

Meh, I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to the new edition and have high hopes for it, that's all that counts.

Okay, first of all, let me get this out of the way:

ERHMAHGERDTHEEEEEIRDEEEEDITEEEEON!!! BLOOOOOOOOARGHH!!!! *foams at mouth*

Now that's out of the way, definitely looking forward to this. For those of you who are afraid that all your 2nd ed books will be obsoleted, fear not. I owned all the 1st ed books before the changeover to second. Honestly, until many of the books are rewritten for the new edition, many conversions will be simply impossible, so, it gives you some time to finish up ongoing campaigns, or read new rules and prepare to convert when the time is right. I was skeptic the first changeover, but, in the end, 2nd Ed proved to be far better. I have high expectations for this new edition. :D

Gentlemen, from the mouth of the developer:

On the system itself:

"Systems will be written in lively, jaunty, and friendly voice. No more VCR repair manual system sections. There will be examples. System bloat is being cut. The game is being streamlined. There will be a couple new things to learn and a ton of things from 2e to forget and that makes all the difference. I am willing to make people hunt through a list of rules if those rules are exciting and they anticipate the outcome; I found that this was not the case in 2e and so much of the game was a chore."

On Grabowski and Metaplot:

" Yes and no. Geoff had the idea to run the edition over a scale of 5-10 years so that we can do something he was unable to do in 1e: show geopolitical change, the outcomes of wars and natural disasters, etc. There are many valuable incentives to doing this and some of it will necessitate characters doing things. Think of this as a window into the world, into which your characters might crash and change the course of events at any moment. We won't be doing anything like having a character take over the Realm Defense Grid and then hold Creation hostage, or have something like the plot of RotSE happen and turn the setting upside-down. What we will do is purely for the sake of giving you ideas for how to make Creation look vital, to help you pace and understand growth and change and scale. I feel that emphasizing Creation is a key to Exalted's success. I want you to feel immersed and intoxicated by our world, with a burning desire to go there over and over again, as many times as possible. I do not feel that Charms alone can do this. "

[QUOTE="Cthulhu_Wakes]

"The game is being streamlined."

[/QUOTE]
A lot of people hate this concept and declare it "dumbing down". I couldn't disagree more. Streamlining and efficiency is a good thing.

As the old quote goes: "Perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to take away".

Wasn't D&D 4E touted to be streamlined? Ditto with the removal of Mana Burn from MtG?

Streamlining can be good or it can be bad, depending on how it's done. As long as the streamlining isn't handled as dumbing down or removing stuff because people were being confused, then it's good.

Well they are looking to streamline, while infusing the base combat with important tactical options even before charms come into the equation.

Again, a good example of stream-lining is L5R 4th Edition. Vastly superior to the previous edition.

Which is why I have high hopes for EX3!

[media]

[/media]
It can be bad, or it can be good. Right now, it's a wait and see situation.

Also, combat... always with this combat. What of social-fu? or Science!/Magic!-fu? or Capitalism HO!-fu? Always with the combat.

Honestly, so long as my beloved Eclipse Caste can handle personal-scale social-fu without having to crib skills from the Zenith, I'll be happy.

On the rumored metaplot, from Holden himself:

I don't really think of it as metaplot, and it's certainly not what you think of when you hear "metaplot." I think of it as a window.

Exalted is about a lot of things—society, culture, economics, politics, power, the means by which various human edifices rise and fall, etc. It is about processes, and all processes have a temporal element. This is something we were never able to depict before. Geoff's idea was that rather than staking out "Day 0" and never dealing with anything else, to mark out a span of five to ten years and to concern the game with that, showing how the interaction of wars and ambitions and natural disasters play out upon Creation—show the Time of Tumult in motion.

What this does not mean is that in the 2013 supplements we write about Gem under siege by Autochthonians, and then in the 2014 books we write about Gem under occupation by Excessively Righteous Blossom. What it means is that when we write about something, we show it as a spectrum rather than a single point, an examination of possible actions and reactions into which your characters might be dropped, totally smashing apart the course of events and driving them in a new direction. Because this will be done in a broad manner across the entire edition, it will be easy to track the ripples created by your actions-- you stop the destruction of Gem, which prevents some potential events outlined elsewhere in the South from ever happening, changing the course of regional history.

If it's a metaplot, it's a metaplot that never leaves you behind, and it's a metaplot made of glass, designed to be shattered as your heroes go crashing through it, and to make it easy for Storytellers to see how the ripples of PC action go spreading out and changing the course the world might have taken. It's a window into the possibilities of process, designed to empower and to emphasize the impact of your legend, rather than to tie you to the Metaplot Railroad and drive you into the future some writer somewhere wants to build whether you like it or not.

I like this tidbit from Holden.

EX3 runs on a custom-built new version of Storyteller, designed from the ground up to do cinematic combat and to act as a beautiful anchor point for an endless variety of Charms.
Hopfully this means no more dump/god stats.

Sadly, I can't justify forking out $$$ on yet another new Edition of books to join 1e, 2e and the DTRPG releases. I do agree that it is well past time for a new edition, but reading the developers comments about things like 'streamlining' leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Similar to the change from 1e Power Combat to tick based combat in 2E.

MrSerious said:
Sadly, I can't justify forking out $$$ on yet another new Edition of books to join 1e, 2e and the DTRPG releases. I do agree that it is well past time for a new edition, but reading the developers comments about things like 'streamlining' leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Similar to the change from 1e Power Combat to tick based combat in 2E.
Well, it's still some time to come out, and, hey, you can always wait a few weeks after the release and let all of us who are probably gonna pre-order it give you a review on it first, ^-^ Besides, it's been six years. At least they waited longer than Wizards to update, :)

I am excited, because I've always loved the setting but found the system a chore. The system is, in fact, what makes it impossible to get my friends interested and makes me reluctant to run it. On the one hand, I love the Charms - especially Infernal Charms - but I've always despised the unnecessarily over-wrought combat system and the minutiae of Charm interaction. Steamlining would help a lot.

Also this 'window' idea is one thing I really like the sound of. I've been angling for a similar thing with Crucible, so it's nice to see the concept being explored with a big team and budget.

I guess I must be a horrible person as I do not pay attention to names, like Grabowski, whoever he is, and why he is important enough for people to squee at. I don't think the game is broken, and I am not sure why someone thinks it's broken. Then again, someone will always think something is broken. And I do not like when they use vague words to describe what they will do because it makes me leary given such generalizations.

I'm interested to see what they do for 3e, but for now I'm going to focus on what I have in front of me. Time for a new game when it comes out. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back