• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Ryken City] Mother's Day

Regula
Mentions: Aria RavenSong RavenSong

It was a little strange for Regula to return to where she was raised with Aria in tow. The carriage couldn't even bring them all the way there, as the narrow and bumpy streets wouldn't be fit for the vehicle. It was the polar opposite of the mansion they'd been brought to when meeting with Aria's father. The streets were cramped, smelly and stuffy. It wasn't quite the slums, as those mostly remained in the Underbelly, but it wasn't far from it. However, there was one major difference. After a few twists and turns through-out the streets, people actually started greeting Regula. From general greetings such as an elderly man saying “Ah, kid, welcome back!” to requests such as “Ah, Regula! Could you sharpen the knives from my butchery?” to gossiping women asking her “Oh my, who's this girl you're bringing along?” Regula would greet back, schedule a time and gently brush off the nosy folk (in that order) as they kept going.

Eventually, they arrived in a slightly broader street, with lots of folk being about. Some were selling vegetables on the streets, others were carrying goods. A few elderly folk were just standing or setting around, watching the world pass by. Regula stopped at a pretty unassuming house, turning back to Aria. “This is it. My mother and I live in the two rooms at the top floor of this building. Please wait here for a bit, I'll quickly go check if she's in and if she's proper.” Regula knew her mother's line of work well enough to know it was better to check first. Although her mother made a strict rule never to bring any customers home, she wasn't always presentable enough for new introductions, to say the least.

FRdyvIS.jpg

As Regula opened the door with her keys, it revealed a storage room with a staircase in the back. It was chock-full of crates of various shapes and sizes, suggesting the ground floor was used as storage by some of the folks selling their goods on the streets outside. Aria wouldn't have to wait outside for long, as Regula called out short after. “All is good, please come upstairs and close the door behind you!” As Aria would do so, the next floor she'd enter had a very narrow hallway, with three small rooms and another staircase to the back. One of the doors was open, revealing an elderly woman sitting an arm-chair whilst knitting a scarf. Upon spotting Aria, the elderly woman smiled. “Oh, my, you look younger each day, Rosalia!”

Regula, upon hearing it, explained what was going on before the confusion could settle in. “Ah, don't mind her, Aria. She's miss Vera, one of our downstairs neighbours. She lived here for most of her life, but lately she's thinking of every woman with white or grey hair to be my mother. She says the same to me whenever I pass her room, so don't think too much of it.” After saying it, she smiled at the elderly lady, who was looking a bit confused as the presence of two Rosalia's, before forgetting all about it and returning to her knitting. “She's a nice lady on good days, but on days like these, it's best to leave her to her knitting. Anyhow, it's one more floor up.”

As they climbed the last set of stairs, they arrived in an attic-room, with pretty much just the stairs and a single door. It was too small for two people to stand there, but luckily, the door was already open and they could walk on in. The first of Regula's two room house itself was a cramped, but cosy. There was a bed against one wall to the side, and a table with two chairs to another. In the back were a closet and a door to another room, likely where Regula's mother slept and kept her work-related outfits and items. There weren't any facilities to cook or wash up, suggesting they used the communal facilities along the streets they'd passed along the way. The latter was probably a bit too much of generous term for it, as they'd been little more than places you could warm up water on a fire and then use it to wash yourself in dubious privacy, but they at least had something arranged in these parts of town.

Regula gestured to the couch. “Please, sit down.” As she did so, another woman showed up from the bedroom.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

“Oh my, Regula said she brought a friend, but I didn't expect such a cute girl. She's always been such a tomboy, I expected the first person she'd bring here would be some muscular and heavily scarred warrior~”

Regula turned a bit red. “Mom, please.”

Rosalia just smiled. “Anyway, I'm Rosalia. Nice to meet you~” There was a fairly strong scent of perfume, mostly roses, coming from Rosalia. “Would you like something to drink? I'm afraid I've only got wine, water or apple juice at the moment.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Untitled310_20220821224525 copy-2.PNG

“Is it here?” Aria asked Regula, when she’d nod Aria would knock on the door of the carriage, “Yes madam?” The coachman asked, apparently his eyebrow was permanently raised. Now a bit more familiar with the driver. “Let us off here.”

The carriage had been going through an unevenly cobbled and poorly maintained part of the city before coming to a full stop, in a much less gentrified part of the great city.

Aria took her katana, and got off the carriage. Giving the driver a few coppers. “Thank you for deviating from the intended path.”

“Shall we wait?”

“No, it won’t be necessary. I might be here for a bit.”

With a bow of his head the carriage driver took off, as the sounds of hooves and the rattling carriage made its way back to the inner city.

Aria took a deep breath, only for her nostrils to be assaulted by the less than pleasant smells in this avenue. This would be her first time in a place like this, but she didn’t consider it all that bad. The economic divide in this country had its way of making people go into less desirable places. Usually out of necessity, something Aria understood all too well by now. After a while of walking through the labyrinth like streets, she grew used to the smell and the atmosphere as a whole. Staying close to her companion as she looked around at the various faces that would peer at them through the windows and those on the streets below. Part of her felt a bit out of place, but it was becoming a common occurrence to her by now. She was neither dressed fancily enough for a higher class environment, or blended it well enough to not be noticed in a more impoverished area either.

After a while of strolling, Regula began to draw quite a bit of attention from what she could only make out to be her childhood friends. Some even asking for her to sharpen their wares. Aria only smiled, and nodded her head in greeting as Regula did most of the talking.

She found it very touching for Regula to have brought her to a place others knew her well. There was a sense of home that even she could feel.

Once they arrived at their destination, Arias gaze was pulled by Regulas words, “Of course m’lady. Please take your time.” She said with a soft smile, before turned to observe the area. It was somewhat like Highgrove, except everything was much more cramped together, and of course it wasn’t in the countryside.

When her friend called out, she didn’t say anything and made her way in, closing the door behind her. As she made her way through the house, her attention was brought to the only opened door in the hall. When addressed as Rosalia, she flinched and stuttered. “I-I’m..”

Just as she was about to correct the knitting lady however, Regula arrived to her rescue, explaining the confusion. “I see..” said Aria, as she fixed her hair a bit at mention of the silvery appearance. “Good day to you Vera, thats a beautiful scarf you’re making.” Bowing her head lightly, she followed after Regula.
Heeding her advice.

Aria followed behind Regula up the stairs feeling the slight creak and give that most wooden made houses have, then making her way into the small basement like room she looked around. For it being so small it was actually quaint and charming. After Regula tells Aria to have a seat, she nods and sits. For a moment putting her sword on her lap, then figures it’d be a bit weird to have a weapon on herself like that considering this is a bit of a family meeting.

Arias gaze was pulled by the sound of footsteps coming through the adjacent door, standing up quickly, then expecting some kind of formal greeting was about to bow her head when lady Rosalia began to speak. Not exactly ready for such a straightforward compliment, Aria resisted a flinch as she blushed. "I-i'm.. I'm a lot stronger than I look ma'am." Aria said before bowing her head, then when she introduced her self she continued. "I'm Aria B- well, just Aria.." Not really wanting to give her last name, as in her eyes, it carried a degree of shame. "I don't usually drink, but I'd care for some wine if you're offering." After going through so many emotions on the particular day, it only seemed appropriate. Aria then stole a glance at Regula, who's face had turned a light crimson, suddenly she didn't feel so embarrassed however.

Attempting to change the conversation, she thought to ask, "How long have you lived here ma'am?"

Last edited:
Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

Rosalia laughed when Aria proclaimed to be stronger than she looked. “Of course dear, you'd have to be quite strong to keep up with Reg, after all.” If she wondered why Aria stopped short of saying a last name, she didn't show it. “Alright~” She said, as she pulled out a bottle of wine from the single closet in the room.

Regula

Upon seeing it, Regula looked surprised. “Isn't that really expensive?”

“It's okay dear, I got it from a customer.”

“Shouldn't you sell it like always?”

Rosalia shook her head. “Of course not! I had to make sure to have something nice for when you'd finally bring one of your friends over! Now stop worrying about it and let's all just enjoy a glass!” She said, opening it before any more words could be spent on it. It was a bit odd, as the fancy wine was poured in the least fancy glasses possible, but that didn't subtract anything from the taste.

After the wine was poured, Rosalia turned to Aria again. “As for your question, dear, I've lived here most of my life. At first I lived in one of the smaller rooms below, but after Reg was born, I managed to start hiring this place so we could both have our own room.”

She then turned to look at Regula a little strictly. “Now then, I think we're long due to have some family time. First you leave all the way to the magic Duchy, then you go off all the way to the south to meet up with a count! I feel like I've barely had time to talk to my own daughter lately, so tonight, you and your friend are going to tell me all about your adventures. Then tomorrow, I'll take the day off and we're going out into town, just the three of us. Then, in the evening, you're going to go get mister Deva and ask him if he wants to join us for a dinner at Macer's place.”

Regula was visibly overwhelmed by all the sudden commands, but she felt guilty enough for having been away for so long, so she went along with it. “Alright.” She looked at Aria a bit apologetically. “I hope you didn't have any pressing plans for tonight or tomorrow..?”

It didn't take long, however, for Rosalia to start pressing Aria a bit. “So, when and where did you and Regula meet? Have you been travelling together? Is she still always working on that gun thing of hers?”

Aria suddenly felt a tinge if guilt for asking for wine. She would have suggested something else, however, Rosalia seemed insistent that it was alright. Regulas mother was already growing on the warrior maiden, not because of her hospitality but because of her upfront demeanor, Aria could tell she was just as she is; unfiltered and to the point. A refreshing change in a world where many held secrets, and quite frankly Aria aspired to be a bit more that way. She made a mental note as to what sort of gift to bring to her next time they were to meet, however.

She decided to inquire about one detail though. “Oh? A customer? You deal in fine wines I’m assuming?” Aria said with great interest and curiosity as she took a sip from the glass given to her. "I used to be a bartender and I'm a bit familiar with wines, ma'am."

When Rosalia answered Arias question, she listened attentively, legs crossed and her hands delicately on her lap holding the glass. Nodding as Regulas mother spoke. Then a weird melancholy feeling developed in her stomach, her words betraying her prudent guise. “It must be so nice to be loved so deeply, Regula is so lucky to have you as a mother.” A soft caring smile coming across Arias features. There was something so heartwarming about Regula and Rosalias dynamic.

From how Rosalia was suddenly bombarding her daughters mind with commands and duties, she could tell they were very close. And that she had missed her daughter very much. Then Regula inquired about Arias schedule. To which Aria fanned a hand at her, “Oh! None at all..” she says before taking another little sip. “..I’d love to help in anyway if the occasion calls for it.” Something within Aria desired to belong so badly to family, especially after meeting her father and realizing just how alone she was in this world. If left to her own devices, she'd gladly spend countless hours helping or doing family related things. Perhaps she was also a bit homesick, and being there with a motherly figure eased her sense of being in a constant state of survival and alarm. For once in a long time, she felt she could finally relax a bit. A feeling she’d quickly lean into as she sighed deeply.

Then Rosalia inquired further about her relationship with Regula. She’d nod, “Well..” she began glancing at Regula, then at Rosalia “..I believe that was a few months ago, right? I had just recently arrived from Highgrove, and well.. we’re not exactly known for our blacksmiths, as we are for our baskets and farmers markets. So I found an advertisement for Rossles Forge, and decided to find myself a proper weapon.” Appearing to lightly daydream about when she first met her dear friend, before smiling shyly and covering her face glancing at Regula with a soft chuckle. “And uhm.. she was working on this weapon I’ve never seen before!”

“She was very professional though ma’am, I was admittedly a little intimidated at first, but then we became pretty close and began to travel together when I found her again during a countryside rabbit hunt that, well.. proved to be a bit dangerous in the end.”
She shrugged.

Last edited:
Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

Rosalia giggled a bit at the idea of her being a wine dealer. “No dear, I'm afraid the price tags are about all I know about wine. A few of the men who pay to spent the night with me always make sure to gift me something, wine being a common gift.”

Regula

As her mother was talking, Regula couldn't help feeling a bit awkward. She wasn't necessarily uncomfortable with what her mother did for work, but she was well aware that it wasn't exactly a common or respected job. She hoped Aria wouldn't judge, although she expected her to merely be surprised. That said, she blushed more at Aria being direct about their situation, with Regula being lucky. Having seen Aria's family, Regula had to agree. She might've never had a dad, but at least she had a loving mother.

Then it was time for stories. Regula made sure to nod along, up to a point at least. “It wasn't all that dangerous, you're exaggerating.” she interrupted Aria, hoping the latter would get the hint. “My armour was strong enough for the rabbits to just bump to a halt against it, so I was well-prepared. Besides, after taking a bit of a break, our guide, Michael, was able to clean things up easily.”

It didn't take long for more questions and stories to follow. There was a very clear pattern in what Regula told and didn't tell. She spoke of the amazing things they'd seen in the magic Duchy, she spoke of how they prevented panic in the waiting line, she spoke of the amazing bath house they'd visited. She didn't speak of what happened with the woman in the stocks. She spoke of the long way towards the Sol County, of the ranger they'd met, of the Looming Circles they'd seen, of the bad weather they'd survived. She didn't speak of the time a magic forest manifested their fears or of the robbers. She spoke of how interesting the count and his men were, admitted she didn't get much done there, but didn't mention he'd offered her a barony. All things considered, it was clear that she was avoiding the dangerous and otherwise worst parts of her adventures and stressed the fun parts. She also didn't openly speak of her desire to join the nobility. Were Aria to stray to such topics, she'd get a piercing glare from Regula.

Eventually, night settled in, as Rosalia retreated to the room in the back. Regula took out a bedroll from underneath the bed. It was the same one she'd been using on their trip to Sol County. “Well, it looks like my mother's got big plans for tomorrow, so we'd best sleep early. I hope she didn't talk your ears off too much. It's been a while since we had a nice long chat, so we had a lot of catching up to do, after all.” She then whispered something. “Also, I know I'm avoiding certain topics and stories, but I don't want her to worry too much about me, so please play along with it.”

When Rosalia mentioned her profession, Aria was fairly surprised, albeit intrigued as to what her line of work was like, however when she thought of it, it made her blush. But she quickly collected herself as to not be rude. "Ah! Right, I see." Part of her was tempted to ask her questions, mainly on the topic of wooing, considering her recent social blunder in Linneus Castle.

As to the conversation about how Aria met Regula, she'd been recollecting when suddenly Regula interrupted, blinking a bit she quickly noticed her facial expression. "R-right! Yes, then I stood behind you and we saved the day." Bringing a hand to her head, she feigned a surprised look. "Goodness! I forgot about Michael, he came in and pretty much did all of the work!"

As they continued, she generally followed Regula's lead, adding her own flare to the details Regula mentioned. Aria caught on fairly quickly that she didn't want to add any of the dangerous nitty gritty details about their travels. She wondered why, but quickly continued. "..Yes! haha! No, you were in the crowd, and then I crashed into you, I doubt you even felt it! Thats when I occurred to me to find 'higher ground' so I kindly and mind you, respectfully climbed atop the tallest man I could find to get everyones attention!" She suddenly stuttered but continued to tell, "..thats when, I sort of got into a misunderstanding with his wife, but we sorted it out right away!"

Aria didn't get past the first glass of wine, but after telling stories and generally talking about their encounters in the world it was time to retire for the evening. When Aria saw Regula pull out a bedroll, she almost asked where hers was, but then she figured to lay on the bed. Her whole body seemed to ache from her long journey through the countryside, finally sleeping in a comfortable bed made her take a deep breath. A single candle burned next to the bed as Regula whispered, the cool breeze creeping in through the slightly opened window. Referencing Regulas concern if her mother had bored her, she nodded and whispered in return as she laid on her side, holding her head up. "Not at all! She's so sweet, I could speak to her for hours!" She then nodded at Regula's suggestion, "Of course m'lady, I just wish I'd known sooner. I must admit it took me a bit to figure it out. I wouldn't know the first thing about knowing what a mother would ask of me, but if I loved someone and they loved me in return, id likely do the same. Last thing I would want is for anyone to worry about me." Changing the topic, "Hmm, and by the way if you find the hard floor uncomfortable we can trade places, or we can even share this bed if you like." She didn't say it in a suggestive way however, but she knew Regula wasn't the biggest fan of sleeping on the ground.

Regula

Thankful that Aria took the hint, Regula was able to relax a bit through-out their storytelling, as they stuck to the nicer stories. However, Regula's day wouldn't come to a happy end. After all, as she was setting aside the table and chairs, then pulling out a bedroll for Aria to sleep in, the blasted fiend took over her bed! The bed she'd been longing to sleep in after having been away from home for so long. The bed she'd slept in better than in any of the other beds and bedrolls she'd been forced to sleep in. The one she'd grown up with! The sudden betrayal hit her deep, feeling like a piercing pain surging through-out her entire body. Her best friend, stealing something so precious from her. Truly, it was a nightmare.

That said, it turned out Aria wasn't pure evil after all. For some reason, this chaotic creature offered to surrender the bed back to Regula. “Yes please.” That came out pretty quick and eager, but Regula didn't quite care at the moment. “It's been far too long since I got to rest in my own bed.” Sharing the bed wouldn't be an option, as it was far too small to fit two people, likely to take in less place in the already cramped room. “Anyhow, thank you. For coming along. I'm glad you're getting along with my mother. I felt a bit bad after having been away for so long.” It didn't take long for Regula to fall asleep, finally being in her own bed again.

The next day would greet them with the sounds of someone toppling over a lot of boxes on the bottom floor. Regula got up, having a very bad case of bed-hair, still half a sleep, mumbling. “Uhrg... I bet Spencer's trying to find his stuff again... dude's always way too early and loud...” She was about to step out of her bed when she realised her foot wasn't exactly on the floor. That's when she remembered. “Oh, shit, I'm so sorry!” She said, as she barely avoided stepping on Aria with her full weight. “I completely forgot you were here for a moment.”

The talk was enough to get Regula's mother to wake up as well. “Reg, if you're going to be this loud in the morning, you might as well go freshen up and bring back some bread!” She called out from her room to the back. “Yes mom!” Regula called back, before turning back to Aria.

“Come on, I'll show you the place.” Regula said after putting on her clothes and picking up two towels and a piece of soap from the closet. She knew this might be the biggest culture shock to those born rich on born in villages... There was nothing she could do about it though. With Aria (hopefully) in tow, she descended the stairs and went outside, back on to the streets. Taking a small alley to somewhere behind the house, they eventually found their way to a well. “Well, considering your aspirations of bathing in rivers, this shouldn't be too bad for you.” She said, as she went into a nearby building and returned with two buckets. She handed one to Aria whilst filling up one of them with water from the well. “We can warm it up and wash ourselves in there.” She said, pointing back to the building.

The building itself was very simple. It had an entrance with lots of buckets, an indication that the left side was for men and the right side for women. Through-out all of it, there were drains to allow water to flow out of it and into the city's sewers. Inside, on both sides, there was a stove on which one could boil water. Mixing it with the water from the bucket made for some nice warm water to wash oneself with. It wasn't much, but it was still nice to start the day fresh.

After 'showering' (in as far as one could call it that), Regula once again made her way through these streets until they arrived at a small baker's place. The smell of fresh bread was already filling the streets. “Morning, miss Monroe. I'll take two loaves, please. Oh, and do you have honey buns today?” A middle-ages woman replied. “Sure, freshly baked.” Regula smiled, turning to Aria. “You're in for a treat.” Then turned back to the lady. “I'll have three of those as well.” As the buns were bought in, it was clear from the smell alone why those were called honey buns.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

When they arrived back at Regula's house, Regula's mother had somehow already managed to make herself seem impeccable again. Perhaps a secret of her trade. “Good morning dears, I hope you both slept well?” She said with a smile, then spotting the honey buns. “Oh my, did you go to miss Monroe? It's been a while since I had these~”

Regula gestured to one of the chairs, which placed Aria next to Rosalia, whilst Regula herself simply sat on the bed. The meal was accompanied by some water, apple juice (or if Aria would ask, leftover wine from the day before). Milk was likely difficult to get in the middle of the city. Upon biting in to the honey bun, it was clear what it got its name from. It was a very fluffy texture, with a great taste of honey. Aria would've barely been able to swallow her bite before seeing four eyes look at her in curiosity, clearly awaiting her reaction.

Untitled310_20220821224525-2.PNG
Something had changed rather quickly in her friend, but she rather quickly figured out the source of Regulas uneasiness. “Very well.” She replied after agreeing to trade places, she quickly did so, it wasn’t too bad. She'd defiantly had worse, like sleeping in the rain on their way to Light Territory.

When Regula mentioned feeling bad about not checking in with her mother she nodded, “I certainly would as well, m’lady. Perhaps when were away again, I’ll be sure to remind you to send a letter.”

Once Regula seemed to be drifting off to sleep, Aria got out of the bedroll and put out the candle, giving the room away to the darkness of night. Soon she’d drift off to sleep herself, lulled to the sound of crickets.

---

Of all the nightmare ridden nights, this one was quite different. Where she’d usually be dreaming of deadly scenarios, of warfare, or making stressful decisions, this one was different. She’d dream of her old life in Highgrove, before the siege that befell on it. Remembering her days off, running through the great pastures, collecting chicken eggs for her neighbor and reflecting on the songs the traveling bards would sing in their poetic mastery. A lifestyle, although with its many hardships was quaint and predictable no real dangers besides the tax man at least.

---

Before long, it was the early morning, she’d hid her face inside the bedroll to escape the morning chill. The suns rays not yet shining upon the house, but what little light there was was likely illuminating the street below by now.

“Ooof!” Aria exclaims as she's forced awake, Regulas foot stepping on her belly. Quickly sitting up she replies sleepily, “I’m up! I’m up! Did I oversleep again?!” Rubbing her eyes with one hand while the other held her stomach. For a moment there I though I was back in Highgrove. Late again for my morning shift. She thought to herself as she slowly laid back down, yawning as she caught her bearings. “Hmm, that was a nice dream.” She muttered. She didn’t have long to wake up as slow as she usually did when Regula returns to the room beckoning her to explore. “Okay sure! just a sec.”

The maiden quickly rose to her feet, freshened a bit and got back into her clothes, before setting off with her friend. Down the stairs and out into the chilly street, then towards the back of the house where it appeared to be some kind of bathhouse. Regula went off, while she remained and inspected the building a bit, before she knew it Aria was holding on to a bucket of water. “Oh? This is new..” she said curiously. “..this is actually quite nice compared to a river. There’s even stoves here.”

Aria quickly figured out how to give herself a shower. She followed Regulas lead, it was a bit different than what she was used to, especially pouring water over her head while the cold temperature kissed her bare figure. Bathing in rivers usually meant you stayed in the water as you acclimated. Sometimes even going for a morning swim.

After bathing, and drying herself off they returned to the street, now starting to populate with people going about their usual morning routines. "Where are we going?" Aria asked right before the delicious scent of fresh bread reached her senses. Following behind Regula, they eventually arrived at a bakery. The scents inspired her belly greatly, especially after being stepped on minutes before. "It smells delicious in here.” Aria said as she looked around at the various pastries on display. “Hm? A treat? You don’t say?” She replied curiously. But Aria already could tell whatever was in the bread bag was likely very delicious!

Upon returning to the house, Rosalia was already up. “Good morning Rosalia!” Aria said, surprised to see her so impeccably dressed already. “Yes we did, I’m looking forward to trying these buns. They smell..” she sniffs a bit. “..very delicious. I'd have these everyday if I could!”

After sitting down, and taking some apple juice Aria takes a bun and takes a bite. Chewing for a few seconds before her eyes widened a bit at the delicate but crunchy texture, soft and honey infused center. “Mmm!” She exclaimed, very pleased by the taste. “This is amazing!” Looking up at the other two she smiles shyly, realizing they had been looking at her reaction. "Thank you for having me over for breakfast Miss Rosalia. This is certainly quite the treat!"

Regula

Two satisfied smiled arose as Aria voiced her positive opinion of the honey buns. She was a true part of the family now! Breakfast was fairly quick to pass by, as it was tough not to accidentally scarf down something so nice. As they finished, Rosalia spoke up again.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

“That was nice. You remind me of the time time Regula said she wanted to be a baker, so that she could eat these every day.”

Although Regula smiled, she didn't quite like these topics. After all, those were from before the times she had active memories off. She figured she'd change the topic. “Anyway, mom, you said you wanted to take us into town. Was there anywhere specific you wanted to go?”

Rosalia smiled. “Indeed, but it'll be a surprise. It's a bit of a walk from here, but I promise it'll be worth it.”

It didn't look like they'd get more out of her, so Regula shrugged. After putting away the plates and cups, they headed out onto the streets again. If Regula had gotten folks to greet her, her mother was at least three times as popular in this area. Only a few people didn't call out to greet her. That said, she did also get a few glares here and there, especially from the more 'proper' seeming townsfolk. Neither Rosalia nor Regula paid it any attention, merely focussing on greeting back those that greeted them.

As they progressed on their walk, the scenery started to change. Streets got wider, houses got taller, smells got nicer and roads more even. They were heading towards a much fancier part of town. After a bit, they even passed a plaza with a large fountain. People in this area didn't greet them. They merely looked at them, sometimes questioningly, sometimes disappointingly, every now and again even with a hint of disgust.

Eventually, it got the better of Regula. “Mom, just where exactly are you taking us?”

Rosalia smiled and brushed it off. “Don't worry, we're almost there. It'll be great.”

She was right, as before long, they entered some sort of alley between the much larger estates within the city. After a while, she stopped in front of an unassuming iron gate and called out. “Hello, it's me!”

Not long after she called out, an older gentleman made his way to the gate.

Thomas
FU65O58.jpg
(Not actually carrying all the stuff he's carrying in the image.)
DHi1qwj.jpg

“Ah, miss Rosalia. The master isn't home today, so if you had an appointment...” He started to say, before spotting Regula and Aria and stopping mid-sentence. Instead, he looked at her questioningly.

“That's alright. The master told me I could come visit anytime I wanted after I complimented his gardens. Surely it won't be a problem if I bring my daughters along, right?” The ease with which she included Aria among her 'daughters' made it feel natural enough for even Aria herself to find much reason to stop and question it. Almost.

That said, it had the intended effect on the older gardener. “I don't think this is what he intended... but it wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you leave in a couple of hours.” He said, as he pulled out some keys and opened the gate.

Rosalia smiled, as she turned to Regula and Aria. “This will be great, trust me.”

iKrN1mK.jpg

It was finally revealed what Rosalia had been up to. She'd wanted to show them one of the most amazing gardens in the entire city. The scents of different flowers was as overwhelming as the various colours. Butterflies and bees were flying and buzzing around, features like stone benches and a small fountain were carefully located in the most fitting places, a large stone arch made way to another part of the garden... It was clear that whatever noble owned this place had spent a fortune on this garden.

“Wow...” Regula said, surprised by the array of colour. “I had no clue a place like this existed in the city.”

Last edited:

A little embarrassed she beamed at the two’s looks from her place on the table. Then turning to Rosalia as she mentioned one of Regulas childhood memories. She chuckled a bit, but before she could make a comment or ask something, Regula interrupted. Suddenly things returning back into focus as her friend inquired about their plans for the day.

“A... surprise?” She repeated as she turned her attention from Rosalia to Regula with confusion and wonder.

The war maiden had never quite felt this way in any of her memories, she had friends back in Highgrove she held in great regard and respect, but not like this, this was different. A realization that inspired a strange but warm feeling to come over Aria as she finished her meal. Parts of her felt the desire to protect them at any cost; from any danger. Perhaps this is what family is like? A thought she’d ponder over quickly as she helped tidy up the place after breakfast.

They made their way down into the busy streets, Aria following behind the other two, and carefully closing the door behind her. Rosalia seemed to waste no time in beginning their small town journey to this surprise place. The anticipation and excitement, welled within Aria only to be contrasted by the glares coming at them from judgmental people. She could only assume it was because of Rosalias profession and line of work.

Then the streets became increasingly affluent, with nicer houses, fresher smells, but the glares got worse. At some point, when some would get a bit over the top in their scowling and visibly obvious disgust, Aria tugged at one of her lower eyelids while sticking out her tongue at them. “Hmm.. you must be sooo charming.” She muttered. However she was also quite surprised at Rosalias ability to seemingly be unaffected by such judgmental behavior. Part of her also wondered if it ever affected her in some way. However, Aria remedied the thought by discarding them as people who’ve never struggled to survive. Who always had everything handed to them. And we’re incapable of feeling empathy.

When they finally arrived at the destination, a gate towered before them. “Is this.. it?” She asked just before the gatekeeper greeted. It seemed Rosalia had known the owner of this beautiful home intimately. Which wasn’t much of a surprise, what was though, was when Rosalia referred to Aria as her daughter. Daughter? Daughter. She repeated in her head as she unawarely brought her hands close to her heart. Although composed, that gesture seemed to shatter any sense of loneliness she'd experienced before arriving.

When Rosalia assured them it would be great, Aria nodded. Then as they entered she’d turn to look at Thomas the gardener who opened the gate for them, “Thank you. Mr. Gardner for having us.” She figured a bit of politeness was the least she could do to thank the man for bending the rules in their favor this once.

Walking down a few of the pebble and brick steps the view gave way to a great wealth of gardens, the crisp air smelled of culinary herbs, Aria's eyes taken to the various colors of flowers and ornaments, serene fountains trickled the ever pleasing sound of water while little birds bathed. It was a breathtaking view, “I.. I didn’t know either..” she stuttered at Regulas remark. “..I’ve never seen such attention to detail, such great landscaping. But most importantly, it’s so.. relaxing.. I just want to lay on that grass all day long, and watch the clouds go by here.”

Turning to Rosalia after Regula was still likely distracted by the pleasant view she began, “This is so beautiful m- Rosalia.. I mean, thank you for bringing me here.” Aria had been beginning to see Rosalia with different eyes, but she was still somewhat afraid, after all the suffering she’d gone through only days before, perhaps she just wanted to be held. But maybe she’d simply have to muster the courage for that. For once in her life, something began to feel, so right however. “I.. I’m sorry if this is strange.” She said bowing her head awkwardly, before taking a few steps towards her and finally giving into the wish to embrace Rosalia.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

Although Rosalia was a bit surprised when Aria went in to embrace her, she returned the embrace wordlessly. She'd hold Aria close for as long as Aria needed to be held close, sensing the girl's great need for such a form of affection. It wasn't in Rosalia's nature to ask question, but it was in her nature to offer comfort, so that's exactly what she'd do. When Aria would eventually break lose, Rosalia would show a gentle and kind smile. “I'm always open for embraces and hugs~”

Regula

As Aria assumed, Regula was indeed distracted by their surroundings, but she'd gone one step further by going into detail about it. “Mister Thomas, I don't think I've ever seen these before. What are they?” She pointed to some of the first plants to catch her interest.

gettyimages-1250472185-612x612-1612203795.jpg

Thomas
FU65O58.jpg
DHi1qwj.jpg

“Ah, those are called Astrantia. They're a favourite for their long blooming duration and they attract a lot of bees and other pollinators. The master had them brought in all the way from Wildersia. The halflings there really know how to make flowers last.”

Regula nodded. Her attention was drawn to a purple, almost grass-like plant. “What about those?”

gettyimages-1262247954-612x612-1607806373.jpg

“Those are called Catmint. Rumour has it that it can get feline beasts can get pretty drugged out from smelling these, although I'm not sure if that's true or not. They're grown a lot in the Magic Dutchy, on the side of the desert, as they're pretty drought-tolerant. With a magic flair to them, they even manage to grow them in the desert itself.”

Regula was really getting into it now, as she pointed to the next plant.

gettyimages-934782262-612x612-1612205536.jpg

Thomas smiled. “Now those are real special. They're called Columbine here, but where they're from, they're also called Granny's bonnet. These particular ones are grown in the See by the Fae, but not where you'd expect, as they grow them near the mountains instead of in the warmer jungles. They're surprisingly tough against the cold.”

If Aria were to ask him, he'd answer er questions in kind. Eventually, however, Regula would spot one very peculiar flower. “What's up with that one? It looks like it has all sorts of tiny lights come from it. I've never seen anything like that.”

cdc3457a6784351adfa4e94828ff3341.jpg

Thomas smiled. “That's the master's most prized possession. It can cost as much as an entire house, so only a few people can keep them in their gardens like this. Legend says that the first fairies were born from flowers like these and that the tiny lights are the souls of yet-to-be-born fairies. I honestly don't think those legends are true, but it's clear these flowers have a lot of magic beauty to them, so you could see why people would make such a claim.”

As she held onto Rosalia, taking in her flowery scent, Aria closed her eyes. It felt like nothing she’d ever experienced before, having been without any sort of meaningful bond, other than perhaps Regula. It was addmittedly a bit ironic that she’d got so close to her best friends mother. Part of her hoped she wouldnt find it strange either. At least for now, Regula was distracted.

Aria felt like she could hold onto this woman forever, her touch was soothing and the air about her simply sublime, and pleasant. Was this how it felt to be held by a mother? She asked herself as she held her a bit tighter, only before realizing she’d probably be holding her a bit too long. Breaking the embrace, she unknowingly had a few bit of tears welling in her eyes, as it felt like she had woken up from a beautiful dream. Although it would likely be something that couldnt possibly escape Rosalias keen eyes, she pretended to rub her eyes. “Hmm, well i might or might not be hugging you often.” She said with a nod letting her stern heart overflow with a tender smile that reflected across Arias gaze.

“Hmm, i think these flowers might be giving me a bit of a reaction.” She said, looking away. Her attention then pulled towards Regula, who was having a pecluliar conversation with the gardner of this beautiful oasis of rare and impeccable artistry.

“Hmm, what is Regula up to?” She said looking back at Rosalia before quickly catching up to her friend. Placing her hands behind her back, she observed and listened intently at Thomas whom, unsurprisingly appeared to be quite the expert on the topic. When Regula pointed at the following plant, Aria nudged her on the shoulder lightly. Perhaps she would ease up on the formalities and titles at least for this once. "I didn’t know you were so intrigued by plants and flowers.” She said, as she continued to glow after hugging Rosalia.

Aria continued to listen intently however, not trying ot be disrespectful of the old garden master. She didn’t have many questions, as flowers were out of her range of expertise, however she was curious about one thing. “Do you know every plant that grows here?” She said with immense wonder, “That would be a great deal of memorizing wouldnt it?” Then to her surprise, the old gardener would address one particular plant that held such a mystical background. She put her face fairly close to the plant, seeing its tinly little lights drop as they appeared to be suspended by a very delicate tiny strand of silk, or perhaps by some kind of magic as Thomas had mentioned. “Fairies?” She said curiously, "Hmm, I've met a fairy once." She said a bit absentminded, considering their rarity, it likely wasn't common for most people to encounter these tiny creatures.

Last edited:
Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

Rosalia smiled at Aria s the latter eventually broke off the hug. “You can always come again when those pesky flowers start giving you trouble~”

Regula

Regula was a bit surprised when Aria was suddenly behind her, having almost forgotten about her. “Ah, no, I didn't know about it myself either. I was surprised by how many different colours and shapes there are, so I figured I'd ask.”

Thomas
FU65O58.jpg
DHi1qwj.jpg

The old gardener nodded at Aria's question. “Of course I know them all by name, I planted them all myself! I've been working here for the master's father and his grandfather as well, after all. It's not too much memorising if it's something you've been doing all your life. It's only the newest flowers that sometimes give me trouble. There's a fair bit more import from The See lately, too much to keep up with at my old age.” Aria wasn't the only one who'd seen fairies before. “Yeah, there's one in this city as well, I once saw it when I walked past the adventurer's guild. I first thought my eyes were deceiving me, as it looked like it was just a giant flying sword, until I spotted a pair of butterfly wings a top it. It's been one of the crazier days overall, I'd say.”

As beautiful as the garden was, they shouldn't overstay their welcome. After a bit more looking around, Rosalia called them to go to the next place, after making sure to thank Thomas again. “Alright, I've got one more place I want to visit with you girls, before I'm sending you off to go get mister Deva.”

As they were walking, Rosalia took out the two loves they'd bought in the morning to share as lunch, taking place upon a bench at a plaza with a large fountain at its centre. By now, they were in a more busy part of the city. It was still pretty high-end, but no longer so exclusively 'noble' that they were getting glares and glosses at every corner. Most of the people in this part of town just went their own ways, busy with their own lives.

As they finished lunch, Rosalia took them into what seemed to be one of the main shopping streets, but rather than entering a store, she took a less busy side-road. The buildings here were all impressive and radiated luxury and wealth, clearly intended for some very well-off customers. This wasn't the place someone of their background would naturally visit, but Rosalia walked through it with confidence, stopping before a small gallery that was displaying finely sculptured woodwork. As she was about to enter, however, an employee of the store hurried up to the door. After a quick gloss, he shook his head. “I'm sorry ma'am, but our establishment isn't for sight-seeing. Paying customers only.”

If Rosalia was in any way offended, she didn't show it. “That's alright, just tell Averie I'm here.” The man only looked at her in disdain. “Madam Averie is busy right now.” Rosalia's smile never faded, although Regula and Aria, would spot a difference. This was a practised smile, not the genuine one. “That's alright dear, just tell her that Rosalia is waiting on her.” The man scoffed, before turning around. It wasn't quite clear if he was actually going to do as asked, but after about ten minutes of waiting, the man returned. His attitude had changed completely. “I'm terribly sorry miss, please come in. Would you and your entourage perhaps care for a drink?”

Rosalia shrugged it off. “No thanks, that's all right.” She instead turned towards Regula and Aria. “Let's go.” She walked inside with confidence. On the inside, even more wood sculptures were on display. Some had clear shapes, like that of animals, whilst others had more vague shapes, with all sorts of twists and turns. The scent of the wood and all sorts of materials used to treat wood, would fill their nostrils the further they walked towards the back of the gallery.

Making it to the other end, they'd find a woman sketching a new sculpture. However, she enthusiastically turned around upon hearing Rosalia's approach.

Averie
v0RMYjD.png
sNPPku9.png

“Ah, Rose, I'm so glad you actually came to visit! I'm sorry about the bouncer, he's still learning.” Short after saying it, she noticed the +2 in Rosalia's company. Every so slightly, she was a bit less enthusiastic. “I see you've brought company?”

“That's alright.” She said, regarding the bouncer. “Ah, these two are my daughter Regula and her friend Aria. I decided to take them here to teach them a bit about art. I hope you don't mind.”

Averie sighed. “Well, educating our youth is an important task, so it can't be helped. You should visit me alone sometime later though~” She said, with a wink that made Regula feel particularly awkward. She wasn't sure what this woman's relation was to her mother and she didn't want to know either.

As a result, she was quick to find a distraction. There were a few pieces of art that were more prominently on display than the others, so she figured she'd carefully look over those. She knew next to nothing about art, but as a fellow artisan, she could see how much craftsmanship and attention to detail was put into them.

d8c203fedf1ad7f9bb4f66a8677cef2f.jpg

bc057b922cb6325b68cdd918fc8e9278.jpg

52354c843f4c8bf4f599bb5acaf58562.jpg

Drawn.jpg

Grip-of-God-Collectable.jpg

430D7D7C-9F3A-4C7A-A3EA-0784AC77794C.png

Before Aria turned around to talk to Regula she paused, looking at Rosalia warmly, “I’d like that..” she said with a smile, “..I.. I really would.” Albeit a bit awkward, as these feelings of familial type, heart warming, were very difficult to navigate for Aria’s stunted sense of emotion.

—-

Back with the old Gardner Thomas, Aria had been intent on his replies, nodding along at his words. He was as keen with his descriptions as he was his memories. What surprised her the most was his commitment to the family that owned this large estate, having tended to these gardens for a couple of generations was impressive. “I see, well I suppose if you make it your life’s purpose, it wouldn’t be too difficult to memorize such lovely plant life.”

Her eyes then widened a bit at Thomas’s description of the fairy. She glanced at Regula who was right next to her, eyeing her for a bit, realizing that he’d also seen the fairy by the name of Sage. She quickly assessed that it’s be best to omit his identity. As it would go beyond the scope of the intention of their visit. It would likely begin a story far too long to explain.

Turning back to the old gardener. “Wow! That’s astonishing! I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for this, floating sword with butterfly wings. I’m sure that would be quite the ‘crazy’ find!”

When Rosalia mentioned it was time for them to depart, Aria bowed respectfully at the wise old gardener. “I don’t believe I mentioned, but my name is Aria. Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and for letting us into your awe inspiring space Mr. Gardener. I’m certain the family is immensely grateful for your commitment to their home.”

With that, she started after Rosalia, or Regula if she was ahead. Once out of the gates she tilted her head with further wonder. “One more place?” She asked. “Very well, lead the way m- Rosalia.” She was beginning to consider asking Regula if it was alright with her to call her mother, ‘mother’ as well, she was beginning to hope it wouldn’t be strange. As she knew that some people could be a bit protective of their family members in that way.

—-

The remainder of the trip was fairly peaceful, more like an ordinary outing with two very special people. Although many of the feelings running through her were new, unpredictable, and chaotic even, Aria wouldn’t reveal much, although under the surface she was struggling a bit to maintain her composure. Especially when it came to Rosalia. Part of her wondered how long she could keep this up.

—-

After packing their things, and setting off again towards their destination, Aria noticed the luxurious buildings. She never aspired to live in such places, but being in their presence inspired a bit of material desire. “Hmm, how many Rykes do you suppose one would need to live in a place like this?” She asked out loud. Pondering as her eyes beheld the exquisite architecture of the era.
Afterwards, the three arrived at an intriguing little wood shop. Although small it was immensely high-toned for their humble appearance. “Uhm, are you sure this is-“ Aria stammered stopping mid sentence as the receptionist or someone who attended the entrance appeared from the door. Arias hopeful expression quickly turned a bit red with slight embarrassment, but also with a bit of indignation at the assumption of their status. Tempted to give this person a lecture, she all but nearly raised a lecturing finger at the man. When Rosalia pressed further and was met with even more rude behavior, she glanced at Regula, searching her eyes for some kind of clue as to what they should do.

When he was pressed further and disappeared for longer than necessary he admitted. “The nerve of these pompous folk.” She muttered, as she paced a bit before leaning her shoulder on the pillar that held up the roof of the gallery. Keeping her comments to herself at that point, as to not risk any possible tarnishing of their intentions.

When the receptionist returned, Aria straightened up her back, attentive and at the ready. Upon hearing his change of expression and how he appeared to be apologetic of his blunder, Aria winked at him as they passed him by at the door.

The place smelled of fresh lumber, it was quite the intoxicatingly rich smell, one that Aria was quick to notice. “Wow, it smells so good in here..” she said as the carved art before her eyes competed for the maidens attention. “..who do you suppose makes all these?” Then at the end of the room, a peculiar looking lady, was hard at work, in deep, focused, concentration on her latest masterpiece.

After making their entrance and the dialogue between them was over with, the last bit sent Aria for a big surprise as her face turned hot. She blinked a bit, and quickly caught onto what their relation could likely be. Confirmed only by Regula’s obvious discomfort. Aria however wouldn’t falter. “I..” she stuttered, for a moment, collecting herself as quickly and seamlessly as she could. “..I’m Aria, Miss Averie, it’s a pleasure to meet the maker of such delightful works of art. If I may ask, how long does it take to create one of these finely carved works?”
Although, the fox eared lady had an explicit relationship with Rosalia, it couldn’t be denied that this woman was capable of intricate expression. She hoped to perhaps gain some insight, as she walked up to the avian carved figure. “I must say, this one really calls out to me in particular.”

Regula

“About a thousand gold a month at the lowest, from what I've gathered.” Regula answered Aria's question about the prices of real estate here. “I once looked it up to see if I could ever start selling enchanted gear in this area, but I doubt I'd make enough profit to earn back the costs. Only those associated with a Guild or selling expensive luxury goods can make a living here.”

Averie
v0RMYjD.png
sNPPku9.png

“Oh my, what a cute little flatterer you are~ It's a pleasure to meet you, Aria.” Averie said, extending a hand to Aria. “It varies per piece, but treating the wood alone can take up weeks. Sometimes the shapes come to me with ease, other times, it takes a long time to crack the wood's mysteries and find the right ones. Sometimes I have to draw out options, like right now, other times, I can see it quite clearly the moment I face the piece of wood itself.”

She smiled when Aria pointed out the bird. “Ah, that was a very tricky one. The wood screamed some sense of freedom to me, but how could I represent freedom? After all, most trees are firmly rooted in place. After months of deliberation, I was on a trip to buy new materials when I saw a flacon soar through the skies and instantly realised what I needed to turn this wood into. I'd like to imagine that the tree that gave me this wood longed for the freedom of flight enjoyed by the birds living in its branches, so I turned it into what it longed for.”

Regula, meanwhile, was more interest in the tools in the back of the place. From pretty rough looking saws to fine chisels to various lacquers, oils and glazes. The small space was pretty much stocked with everything you could need, although the sketching supplies currently took the centre stage. However, she did listen to the words shared between Averie and Aria. “How does that work? The wood telling you something, I mean.”

Averie turned to Regula. “Wood is a living substance. It's grown into a shape for a reason, a combination of its surroundings and natural drive to grow. I'd like to believe that the shapes it ends up in are meaningful, representing more than just a random process.” She pointed at the sculpture of a woman's face. “Take this piece, for instance. I didn't add much to the edges of it, I merely polished and treated it. Even so, it already looks like the hair of someone looking upwards, perhaps laying down in the grass or even floating in the water. It's like the piece was gazing at the skies above it, so I gave it a face to represent that longing look.”

All things considered, Regula didn't really get it. She figured she'd just nod along and let the woman talk, but for as far as she could tell, it was just a piece of wood that the woman had let her fantasy run wild upon. Her mother, however, spotted the disinterest.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

“Oh, come on Reg! At least try to imagine it.” She said, attempting to fuel her daughter's interest. “Try to do what Aria did. See which of these pieces calls out to you.”

2397A300-A2EC-4BF2-995D-A6E66A667392.png

As they walked through the luxurious streets, Arias attention went to Regula upon answering her question. “Hmm..” she hummed out loud, wondering if the amount of wealth that would come to her from her supposed Father would cover something like that. Considering she didn’t have much of a home, and if Regula wouldn’t protest against it in favor of something a bit more quaint and humble, it could happen. Besides, Regula might be taken a bit more seriously if she moved in with her, at least with those that would doubt and question her royal friend. Aria would make it a note to run by her at a later time however.

“Naturally..” she stated with a sigh. “..someday, someday.”

After introducing herself to Averie, Aria’s blush would linger, likely a bit deeper however she took the fox artists delicate hand, squeezing it gently before releasing. Then she’d delve into answering her questions. “I see, so it’s sort of like you see what’s possible, and somehow assess the knots and grain before carving.” She nodded softly, “I see, it seems like there’s a fair bit of evaluation before one actually begins.”

This was something Aria actually found quite more intriguing than fauna and flora. She’d observe Averie’s explanations, and the way she conducted herself so knowledgeable about her craft, Aria could tell she was passionate about what she did.

Then the topic of the bird carving came up, her attention going from the wooden sculpture to Averies eyes, her words painting colorful pictures in Arias subconscious, she was feeling very inspired, “Freedom?” She repeated, as if that word held some kind of power. “Yes, that is definitely what drew me to this sculpture. And what a wonderful story behind it, Miss Averie.” Suddenly becoming a bit absentminded, “I certainly can see myself as that tree, as I too long for flight. Perhaps someday, an artist will somehow sculpt me true.” Realizing she got a bit metaphorical she’d look away, then change the topic. But Regula, likely listening in and laughing inside questioned the artists method of observation.

However it only furthered Arias curiosity.

“Fascinating.” She gasped at the process the foxy lady described. “If you don’t mind sharing, what is it that inspired you to create these works? I mean, how did you get started?” Aria was obviously inquiring, due to a rising interest in wood working. It was a very delicate matter for the war maiden. Since she had such a difficult time expressing herself through emotions, she felt that showing what she feels through art could be a way to express what she can’t.

“Oh, Regula, aren’t these sculptures just..” she said darting her attention from piece to piece. “..inspiring?”

Then turning to Rosalia she smiled, before turning her gaze back to her friend, who didn’t seem all that interested much less intrigued by the works. Putting a hand over her mouth, chuckling softly when Regulas mother tried to get her to gain a bit of interest.

Last edited:
Averie
v0RMYjD.png
sNPPku9.png

Averie was clearly pleased at Aria totally 'just getting it' when she explained her process. When Aria absent-mindedly mentioned an artist sculpting her, Averie took a few paces around her, observing her from different angles. Eventually, she shook her head. “Not yet. Just like wood needs to grow before it's big enough to be carved out, you need to grow before becoming an inspiration.” She smiled. “That said, I can see many different inspiring things for you to grow into, especially if you figure out how to spread your wings and fly.”

The question how she got started took her by surprise. “That's a good question. I wanted to create fashion at first, but somehow the dress-making felt too limiting. At some point, I spotted someone dragging in a piece of wood to burn and something told me that would be the biggest waste ever, so I bought it and well... I'll admit I had no idea what to do with it at first, but I knew there was some shape in it that I wanted to reveal, so I started taking wood-working lessons and eventually managed to carve out my first sculpture. It wasn't nearly as beautiful as it was in my mind, but after a lot more practice, I started to get the hang of it. Things escalated from there to where I'm at now.”

Regula
Regula was getting pressured from all sides. Her mother was trying to get her to feel something from these sculptures, Aria was rambling about how inspiring they were and she could feel Averie glance and glare at her for being unable to get into this. She sighed, as her eyes rested on a particular piece (second in the spoiler tab). “Alright, what about this one? There's nothing identifiable in it, unlike the other pieces. Why is that?”

Although Regula's attempt at feigning interest wasn't too convincing, Averie decided to humour her with a reply regardless. “This piece of wood is a from a tree that grew between the ruins of an abandoned farmhouse. It had somehow managed to twist and turn its way through the ruins and pierced the floor-boards with its roots. I got caught in a storm on my way to delivering another piece and tried to take shelter in the remnants of the farmhouse when lightning struck the tree. It was pretty terrifying, but when I spotted a partially charred branch had broken off, I couldn't help bring it along. I wanted to pay homage to the tree's flexibility to grow in such an odd place and felt like preserving its twists and turns was the best way to do it, whilst using lacquers to ensure the battle-scars it suffered from that lightning strike remained preserved. This branch might be lost, but I'm sure the tree itself proudly lives on.”

Regula nodded. “I'll admit the sculptures aren't really my thing, but knowing the stories behind them is indeed inspiring.” That's the best she could say about it. They'd get a bit more time to look around, but eventually Rosalia would call out.

Rosalia
Ei2TzDv.jpg
p9wLsny.jpg

“Alright, it's time to go girls! Thanks a lot for teaching them a little, Averie.”

“It's my pleasure dear~”

“I'll go reserve a table at Macer's. You two go fetch mister Deva. Make sure he won't refuse!”

Regula nodded, before heading off with Aria in the direction of the forge. It was quite a bit away from where they were now. As they were walking, it was clear Regula had something on her mind. Eventually, she shared it with Aria. “It's been a while since I've spoken to Rossle and I know he hates nobles, so I worry a bit that he's going to be angry that I provided weapons to count Light. It's tough to refuse when my mother wants to meet him like this, but I really hope he won't just say no. He's thought me a lot and my mother clearly thinks highly of him, even though they've never met, so it'd be a shame if he outright refused, but... well, I think he might.”

F3E7B215-23F3-4B34-9B8A-4EC1F2571D41.png

“O-oh..” she gasped softly as Averie appeared to scan the war maiden. Looking down at first then turning her gaze to the artist. When her conclusion was made, she humbly nodded. “Hmm, yes, I certainly do feel like a work in progress..” she confirmed as she closed her eyes with silent acceptance of the statement.

“..it’s my intention to figure out how to fly and leave this metaphorical nest.” She said, nodding unbeknownst to her this way of speaking came to her much more naturally than she thought it would.

Then she answered another question, which surprised Aria a bit since it was kind of a personal matter. Nonetheless, Aria was pleased and put close attention. “Oooh, I almost expected you to say that you picked up a piece of wood one day and it just.. happened.” Attempting a smile, “Its good to know even highly reputable artists with their very own storefront have to be constantly practicing. And polishing their craft. Perhaps someday I’ll return for some proper instruction. If you’ll have me of course Miss Averie.” She said bowing her head forward a bit as her short silvery hair trickled down the sides of her face.

Then Regula came up again, Aria was so deep in thought and observation she’d forgotten about practically everyone. “Oh? Excellent choice.” Aria stated, as she observed the sculpture. “Yeah, why is that?” She said curiously at Regula's inquiry of observation.

As the fox eared lady replied, Arias eyes widened a bit as she explained her story, “Wow! No way, a tree struck by lightning?” She repeated as she listened to Averie tell about the fallen tree. There was much she couldn’t express but reflected deeply on the fox artists words and descriptions.

Before long Rosalia announced it was time to depart. Hesitantly she nodded and turned to Averie. “It was very good to meet you Miss Averie. I look forward to any art presentations in the future. M- Rosalia will certainly let me know. Until we meet again!”

With that she departed, walking after Rosalia and Regula who appeared as ready as ever to continue about their way.

Upon exiting, and Rosalia mentioning their new task to fetch this Mr. Deva. Regula soon opened up about her bubbling anxiety. As they walked, Aria matched her friends pace which was quicker than usual.

She blinked a bit, apparently indifferent as she looked away pondering at the words Regula had just spoken. “So.. that’s who Mr. Deva is..” she said, as the realization set in. “..Mr. Deva is actually Rossle the Dwarf Blacksmith! Your.. boss?” She held a knuckle to her lips as she thought about the best course of action. “M’lady, I hold you in high respects. I’ve vowed my sword to you. But that service could extend further if necessary..” she closed her eyes quick then looked at Regula determined. “..I’d be willing to be his temporary maid or be of any service to him as payment for such transgression. Until he finds the debt repaid in full to his satisfaction!”

Aria didn’t come to this conclusion lightly, part of it was her fault the weapons exchange wasn’t up to par with Regulas plans. She overestimated, and they sacrificed a lot for very little in return. The least she could do was find a way to mitigate any sort of consequences for their actions. “Besides..” she continued, “..we can’t let.. your mom down, she’d gone so much out of her way for us to let her down now. However, I leave that choice in your hands.”

Last edited:
Regula
Mentions: Aria RavenSong RavenSong | Rossle Skyhunter Skyhunter

Although Averie hadn't outright denied Aria's request to be taught, it was clear she wasn't fully convinced that the idea of taking on a student was a worthwhile endeavour. After all, if she failed, she'd have wasted her time and reputation, whereas if she succeeded, she'd suddenly have a worthy competitor in the wood-sculpting market. Either way, she'd lose something.

Even through her nerves, Regula chuckled a bit when realisation settled in for Aria. “Yep. The old grump and the one that taught me blacksmithing.” The chuckle turned into a laugh when Aria suddenly offered maid services to Rossle. “Sorry, sorry, the moment I imagined Rossle with a maid... He hates nobles and everything associated with them with a passion and would probably have no clue what to do with someone working for him like that, other than having them clean out the forge all day, which is the same task that I'm expecting to be put up with anyway.”

Somehow, even though it wasn't in the manner that Aria planned, she always managed to alleviate some of Regula's nerves. “We'll just have to clear up that it was a regular job and nothing more. We can mention Count Light isn't liked by other nobles, but I'm not sure if it'd help. I doubt Rossle can be convinced there are like-able nobles out there, so it's best to try not to mention him too much, or to just not mention him at all, if possible.”

Regula was a bit surprised at Aria's determination not to let Rosalia down. “I'm glad she made a good impression on you. A lot of people fail to see through her profession and judge her solely based on that. I'm truly glad you're not one of them.” Those were the last few heart-felt words she spoke for now, as they were very close to the forge now. “Well... here goes nothing.” She said, upon noticing the door was open and the forge was being worked in.

She'd been calling the Dwarf 'master' or 'mister Deva' at first, but that'd gradually just turned into Rossle. “Ah, Rossle, welcome back!” She called out upon entering, hoping to catch the dwarf in a good mood. However, upon spotting his arms all bandaged up, she was rather shocked and surprised. “Wait, what happened, are you okay?” That's when she recalled her latest project. “Hold up, I should be able to help you with what I've been working on.” She wouldn't wait for an answer as she activated the magic of her cloak, creating a [Safe Zone] around her.

• Safe Zone – Magic Affinity B, Healing B, Energized B, Area of Effect D, Selective Magic D, Control Environment E, Magic Duration E - Character creates an area of 100 feet – 30.4 metres radius around them in which they lift bad environmental conditions and heal all allies, keeping it up for the duration of 1 hour. - Grade B – 3 Post Cooldown (Energized).

Rossle and Bulky

1663643598674.png1663643608862.png

Rossle was slamming his hammer onto a hot piece of metal upon his forge, letting out heavy grunts as he slammed this heavy hammer, sparks and molten metal flew off with each swing. He heard Bulky barking and run by him. Rossle had goggles on his head and looked up, seeing Regula and a stranger, the dwarf master blacksmith placed his metal back in the forge and laid his hammer on the anvil before pulling his goggles on it.

Bulky looked happy seeing Regula, the seven foot to eight foot bear dog gave a deep bark and gently placed his large head on Regula's shoulder. Although his eyes watched Aria with a very cold look, she would notice his eyes even turned black slowly like he was ready to attack her if needed. " Alright Bulky, it's okay. " Rossle called as he made his way over seeing Regula and Aria. The large bear dog took a few steps backwards but never took his eyes off of Aria. Rossle sighed as he nodded to Regula. " Regula. Good to see you lass. Where have you been? " The dwarf asked, although when asked about his arms and what happened. Rossle shrugged, " Had a run in with old associates. " The dwarf commented although when Regula did her healing magic, Rossle's one eye had widen.

He could feel his arms begin to feel better. Taking off the bandages, Rossle looked at his arms, " There goes my scars. " Rossle threw the bandages on the ground. " Anyways, Lass, it's good to see you. " Rossle looked a bit saddened as he then saw the new stranger. " Who's the lass? " He at first asked Regula before straight up asking Aria. " Who are you lass? " His voice was a bit cold and loud, usually how he acts with new people, he didn't really care too much if this was Regula's friend or not. Bulky growled deeply at Aria as Rossle placed a hand on his large companion. " It's okay, Bulky. She's just Regula's friend. " Rossle thought it was weird that he was acting so aggressively.

665c107753c27ec6316971abce2a5ef77b452f49r1-898-1064v2_00.jpg

Aria’s deadpan gaze softened a bit at Regula’s laughter, she didnt get to see her laugh very much, so it was always a welcomed tune. Even if it was at her inability to detect the nuances. And ultimately at her expense. “I see, well i'm sure we’ll think of something m'lady..” She said assuring Regula, although taking mental note of details regarding hte dwarf, “..I confess i have never exchanged words with a dwarf, so this will be a first for me. You must hold him in high regard if he taught you the craft that earns your keep.”

Upon listening to her friends plan, Aria nodded. “Very well.” The desire to ask why Rossle reserved so much animosity towards nobles burned in the war maidens mouth however. A question that could be seen iluminated on Arias lightly furrowed brow. Surely he’d been crossed by their ilk. Or worse. Although she did reserve some possible hope that there was some among them that truly cared about the people, and took their positions seriously.

Her trail of thought was then quickly interrupted as Regula mentioned Rosalia, Arias gaze softening further. “I'm no one to judge, she’s- well, she’s your mother, and she's so sweet and-“ Aria stopped abruptly, not knowing how to describe any further. However to her saving grace, they’d arrive at the forge.

--

The sound of pounding of hammer upon steel, echoed about the shop. Then the smell of steam, as the hot metal was cooled penetrated the atmosphere. And there he was, the dwarf, blacksmith, and Regulas blacksmith mentor.

Aria had only caught a glimpse of the heavily bearded and braided blacksmith, only to be startled by what appeared to be Rossles dog, Bulky. Aria would recoil, and pull away at the dogs sudden bark. Resisting a wince, she’d nervously speak, “Uhm, nice dog..” then catching its glare, blinked, a bit intimidated. As she attempted a smile at the suspicious dog, Regula would then cast a sort of area healing spell, which quickly mended the dwarfs wounds. She was about to inquire about it, but in a few words explained just enough to sate her curiosity.

“So..B-bulky is it? Hello there..” As Aria moved forward to greet Rossle, she could feel the hounds eyes fixed upon Aria, so made no quick movements. “Hello sir.” She said formally, bowing her head and glancing at the dog. “My names Aria, and you must be Master Rossle. Regulas told me a bit about you, its great to finally make your acquaintance.” Not taking any further steps, Aria simply reached out her hand in greeting. But obviously squinted, bracing herself for another startling bark.

Last edited:
Regula

All in all, Regula wasn't sure who she'd missed more, Rossle or Bulky. The other way around, it was clear which of them was the most honest about being excited to see her again. “Oh~ Who's a good boy! You are! I missed you too big fellow~” She'd say as she gave the good boy a good hug and petted his head. Perhaps she should get a pet of her own at some point, but it'd be tough to beat this guy.

As for Rossle's question as to where she'd been, she picked her words carefully. “I was off to deliver some weapons in the south, all the way to the Sol county. It was a pretty large shipment, as I got a contact through Aria here, who worked as a barmaid in one of the villages there. I figured the portals might be problematic or expensive and that it'd be easier to go by foot, but in hindsight that might not have been the best idea. It's been rain upon rain upon rain for most of the trip... Anyhow, I'd normally say I'm glad to hear you keeping up with old associates, but I'm considering these weren't the good ones. If you want me to go after them, I could always go do some more field testing of my gun.” She offered the latter semi-serious, semi-joking. She expected Rossle had already dealt with them, but if not, she would take it upon herself to hunt them down were Rossle to ask it of her. It was the least she could do.

With introductions out of the way, it was time for the tough part. “Anyhow... I've got a bit of an odd request. My mother really wished to meet you and told me to ask you to join us for dinner at Macer's this evening. Ah, don't worry, it's a decent place, but nothing fancy. We won't have to run into any nobles there. It'd really mean a lot to her and me if you were able to join us.”

Rossle

1663780913417.png

Rossle grunted hearing her speak, he's known her long enough to know when she chose her words carefully. " Right. Just a large shipment to Sol County. Where most of it is destroyed because of one noble who can't get shit right, the damn bastard. " Rossle said with crossed arms and a look of doubt in his one eye, he was of course talking about Lineuss. His eye turned to Regula's friend, Aria. " Aria... Hmm. Good to meet you lass. Don't be so damn formal, we talk like sailors here. " Rossle said, being his usual self, he never did like proper grammar and preferred being vulgar and blunt.

But when the young gal offered to go after Rossle's... Associates, he didn't look happy, despite it being a joke. " Don't get involved in my business, lass. " Rossle sounded a bit more cold than usual, it showed his serious side when it came to his personal life. Matter of fact, Regula didn't know too much about the dwarf's life besides the 'legends' and such. He didn't talk much about it. " You'll get yourself killed, lass. Or worst. " Rossle huffed as he turned to move to the forge when he heard Regula ask him a very strange request. The dwarf turned his head to listen hearing what she asked. He almost looked confused. " Your mother...? " Rossle wasn't sure what to say and looked a bit shocked actually. Even Bulky caught on and turned his attention from Aria to his master. Giving him a light mocking bark, in which Rossle turned and pointed at him. " Shut your yap, mutt. I don't want to hear it from you. " Rossle told Bulky in which Bulky bobbled his head back and forth in a mocking fashion.

Turning his attention back to Regula while clearing his throat, the dwarf rubbed a hand over his mouth and through his beard like he was thinking. " Why does your mother want to meet me? And why do you want me to come? I'm no one special, Regula. Besides. Love has been a long time thing of the past for me. " Rossle stated, he sounded a bit saddened by his own words but whatever that meant was a huge deal to the dwarf.

Regula

Rossle was being pretty Rossle again. He was clearly criticizing Linneus, at which Regula was wise enough to keep her mouth shut and she truly hoped Aria was as well. If not, she'd attempt to subtly shake 'no' the moment Rossle wasn't looking. She'd rather change the subject, but that didn't help much, as he told her not to get into his business. She shrugged her shoulders. “The offer stands, but I won't press it. Either way, I'm confident I won't get myself killed easily. After all, I learned crafting all this amazing armour and weaponry from the best and I've come pretty far with enchanting it as well.”

That said, the part where Rossle completely misunderstood why her mother wanted to meet him first turned her cheeks a deep shade of red, then churned her stomach a bit at the image. “What, no! No, no, no! Not like that! No, definitely not!” Her mother and Rossle like that? The thought sent some shivers down her spine. “She just wants to meet and thank you, as I've been spending so much time learning here. It's nothing more than that. As a parent to a teacher.”

She shot some desperate looks at Aria, begging for her to somehow make the situation less awkward and get Rossle to agree without this derailing into an even more awkward situation.

665c107753c27ec6316971abce2a5ef77b452f49r1-898-1064v2_00.jpg

Aria stared at him for a bit, hand extended, then took her hand back when Rossle explained his distaste for formalities. Maybe she'd just been hanging out with higher class society a bit too long. “Hmm, very well.” She muttered, indifferently looking away towards Bulky. The dog seemed smarter than he lead on, quite sensitive to the conversation as well.

Then openly expressing his loathing for Linneus pulled her attention, she made a fist, but resisted any comments in response, thanks to Regula's cue. Instead, she pressed the conversation forward. “With all due res- i mean, good on you for making it out alive, Rossle..” she said, giving him a light tap on the shoulder with her gloved knuckle,”.. i’m sure it was a tough fight if the 'Rossle of legend' left with a few nasty wounds.” A sudden determined, and inspired feeling welled within the maiden. She wanted to say more, being the curious one she was, and the temptation to press him for details was great. Instead, she’d do so passively, “It’d be an honor to help in anyway i can Rossle, should you wish it. But i understand if this is something you’d rather play closer to the chest. Although, I feel i could gain your respect.” She ended with a determined nod.

The conversation contrasted however when Rossles’ features became melancholy. His tone became solemn, and for some reason, Aria felt this wasn’t a very common reaction for such a stout and stern warrior. Love, could bring even the mightiest warriors, legendary or common to their knees, or so it seemed. It was a foreign feeling that Aria had no idea how to react towards, but she could attribute it to that of the death of a loved one.

“You assume wrongly Rossle. We would really just like for you to join us for dinner. It would mean alot to Rosalia if you came. I’m sure you’re hungry after such a close encounter with bad company. And maybe it'd help your heart to break from your usual routine.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back