Is there any new element that I could use?

sarc said:
If you don't define what "control" means, or what "void" (for example) actually is, and then write "has control over void" on your character sheet, no one you're playing with will actually know what your character is capable of.
Which, I would assume, is at least part of the point of having a character sheet in the first place, rather than just making stuff up as you go along.
Yes, yes, yes. I know. I am looking for ideas. I will find a way to explain all the stuff. The reason I use only 12 or so characters is because I can slowly develop each character to make them more reasonable. It will obviously take time to create another character important to me.

Please, I repeat, for the fourth and final time, drop the conversation on reasonability! Please! I'm just looking for basic ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief, the posturing in here.

Calm it down, guys - just because some of us like inverting Clarke's Third doesn't make this kind of confrontation remotely necessary. Recognize a lost battle when you see it, eh?

As for core aesthetic or thematic elements for a character, I've always been fond of the change to the Four Horsemen in Good Omens - Pestilence had a tantrum about vaccines and quit, to be replaced by Pollution.

You could always go for emotional themes, no? Cruelty or ambition? Less in terms of elemental control and more methods or personality, you understand. Perhaps you could theme one around dreams, or psychic powers?

I'll admit, I'm not entirely clear if powers related to the chosen element are a core part of your characters.

Grey said:
Good grief, the posturing in here.
Calm it down, guys - just because some of us like inverting Clarke's Third doesn't make this kind of confrontation remotely necessary. Recognize a lost battle when you see it, eh?

As for core aesthetic or thematic elements for a character, I've always been fond of the change to the Four Horsemen in Good Omens - Pestilence had a tantrum about vaccines and quit, to be replaced by Pollution.

You could always go for emotional themes, no? Cruelty or ambition? Less in terms of elemental control and more methods or personality, you understand. Perhaps you could theme one around dreams, or psychic powers?

I'll admit, I'm not entirely clear if powers related to the chosen element are a core part of your characters.
I'll add those ideas to my list. Thanks.

And uh.... it seems like it is a mess in here. Sorry.

If water and ice are separate, you could always include molten rock/lava as a separate element from fire. I've also classified sand as septate from earth sometimes. Which is really arbitrary, but I do it because I can design cool, desert themed people :3 splitting up existing categories of elements is sometimes a good way of making new ones.

ApfelSeine said:
If water and ice are separate, you could always include molten rock/lava as a separate element from fire. I've also classified sand as septate from earth sometimes. Which is really arbitrary, but I do it because I can design cool, desert themed people :3 splitting up existing categories of elements is sometimes a good way of making new ones.
I never thought of that before. Interesting...

ApfelSeine said:
I do think lava/sand would make a pretty good element. Maybe black sand? I don't know what it even is... or if it is magnetic.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]I do think lava/sand would make a pretty good element. Maybe black sand? I don't know what it even is... or if it is magnetic.

[/QUOTE]
To my knowledge, black sand is mostly the same as regular sand. It's basically ground up rocks and shells, just of a specific composition. I think there is a type that is a little bit magnetic, but not all black sand is.

My justification for sand is usually that it's the Midway point between rock and air, and my justification for lava is that it's the Midway point between fire and earth. Fat enough away from each to constitute it's own thing, but still a sort of hybrid.

Or you could go for metal, and use molten metal for lava instead of molten rock.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]I had an idea, which I kinda wanted to check in with you guys.
Would Man-made things be a good idea? Like the elements that I said are all natural elements, we can find them all in the natural world at any time when Earth existed. But plastic and GMO products can't be found in the "natural" world, so do you think that would fit as an "element"?

[/QUOTE]
How about technomancy?

I guess technology isn't what you'd typically think of as an element, but the definition is loose anyway.

Your character could control things like electricity or parts in a machine, disrupt machinery, or they could have machine "empathy" where they can understand machinery through some sort of sixth sense.

The drawback is that the character will only fit in a setting that features reasonably advanced technology.

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]How about technomancy?
I guess technology isn't what you'd typically think of as an element, but the definition is loose anyway.

Your character could control things like electricity or parts in a machine, disrupt machinery, or they could have machine "empathy" where they can understand machinery through some sort of sixth sense.

The drawback is that the character will only fit in a setting that features reasonably advanced technology.

[/QUOTE]
That could work... technology is always something that is kinda strange in my group of characters. I can't seem to find an excuse on how they got this weapon or this dusty relic to work again.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]That could work... technology is always something that is kinda strange in my group of characters. I can't seem to find an excuse on how they got this weapon or this dusty relic to work again.

[/QUOTE]
Don't you already have an electricity character?

Riuma said:
Don't you already have an electricity character?
Stupid me decided to purposely screw everything over by making the electricity character die. I have two other electricity characters who are equal to the original electricity character, and both of them don't seem too much of an electricity elemental (One specializes in love while the other is a merchant.)

Metal. I didn't see metal on that list. o___o

Or maybe I missed it.

[QUOTE="CRiTiCAL ERR0R]
Metal. I didn't see metal on that list. o___o
Or maybe I missed it.

[/QUOTE]
It's not on the list, but it's been mentioned.

: P

Edit: Also jokes about control over metal music have already been made.

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]It's not on the list, but it's been mentioned.
: P

Edit: Also jokes about control over metal music have already been made.

[/QUOTE]
I was too tired to read through all the posts like I normally do.

I just wanted to contribute. ;;A;;

//crais

[QUOTE="CRiTiCAL ERR0R]
I was too tired to read through all the posts like I normally do.
I just wanted to contribute. ;;A;;

//crais

[/QUOTE]

/Pats awkwardly

I know this is kind of an old thread, but here are some of mine: water, air, lighting, earth, fire, plant, metal, Gravity/momentum, light, dark, chaos, and time.

One of my first RP characters ever used sound. It can be pretty devastating when combined with hand-to-hand combat, since it you can use it as a directed pressure wave to cause internal damage to a foe in addition to punching them in the face at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back