Is there any new element that I could use?

Coyote Hart

Misguideful Moniker
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

Hey RPN, I am the type who creates several different characters, and use and reuse them again and again. If you look in my signature, you'll find a link to it. (Google docs, it isn't anything fishy) Things are kinda fixed into place, but if you notice carefully, you'll see that there are 5 important male characters and only 2 important female characters in my sheet. Of course, I am not sexist in any way, and kinda want to even the numbers out. I don't want to remove any characters, but am happy to create new ones, but the important characters are always based on a certain element, and no two important characters have the same element. I currently use fire, ice, earth, water, energy (electricity), nature, air, light, and darkness. What's another element could I use? (It has to be a very basic one. For example, I could use history, because it is kinda basic. But it isn't an element. I couldn't use cheeseburger however I like it, because it is kinda complicated: There is cheese, the patty, the bun, etc) Can someone give me an idea? Thanks, Oak the Guardian

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ones I can think of that aren't in the list would be life and death, though I'm not entirely sure those are elements :/ Still, it's an idea.

It's interesting to hear about someone basing all of their important characters on elements, though. I myself have only based a group of characters on one thing before; A Demon, an Angel, and a Dryad, representing the undying ties between Hell, Heaven, and Earth respectively. I call them the Elixir Trio, since their names were based off of the word: Elrua the Dryad, Lixa the Demon, and Xira the Angel. Perhaps you could use a similar idea as well, if you can't think of any elements?

sarc said:
Actually, I have a character (on another site obviously) that had control over some rare earth metal (thulium, to be exact). Chemical elements like that are probably too specific though.

More on topic, metal is an usable element. Void might also work, though it could be too similar to darkness. Time and space might also fit, depending on your definition of "basic element"?

Hydreinoid said:
Actually, I have a character (on another site obviously) that had control over some rare earth metal (thulium, to be exact). Chemical elements like that are probably too specific though.
More on topic, metal is an usable element. Void might also work, though it could be too similar to darkness. Time and space might also fit, depending on your definition of "basic element"?
Bingo. Time and Space works, and is not too close to darkness (darkness is more of a magic element)

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Bingo. Time and Space works, and is not too close to darkness (darkness is more of a magic element)

[/QUOTE]
Control over time and space would also make your character infinitely powerful

So, yknow, take that into account

sarc said:
Control over time and space would also make your character infinitely powerful
So, yknow, take that into account
True. But there is an age factor involved. If my character slows down time, then she will age much more quickly because of... uh... of... science?

But yeah, point taken.

Spanner said:
Something like Poison could work..
Professor of Nature has that in it...

I was thinking something basic...

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]If my character slows down time, then she will age much more quickly because of... uh... of... science?

[/QUOTE]
Funnily enough, I have actually thought about how this would work. Basically, slowing down time for everything but yourself would make you age faster in relation to everything else because, to you, your body is still functioning at normal speed, and is degrading at the same rate. The reason this makes you age faster, technically, is that this means you're aging at normal speed, while everything's slowed down. So just the same as you moving rapidly in an instant, you also age the same amount of time (relative to you) that you had time slowed down in that same instant.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]True. But there is an age factor involved. If my character slows down time, then she will age much more quickly because of... uh... of... science?
But yeah, point taken.

[/QUOTE]
that's why you slow down time for other people, leaving them trapped for eternity

or speed it up, killing them instantly

or travel back in time and kill their parents

or move them outside the time stream so they effectively cease to exist

LegoLad659 said:
Funnily enough, I have actually thought about how this would work. Basically, slowing down time for everything but yourself would make you age faster in relation to everything else because, to you, your body is still functioning at normal speed, and is degrading at the same rate. The reason this makes you age faster, technically, is that this means you're aging at normal speed, while everything's slowed down. So just the same as you moving rapidly in an instant, you also age the same amount of time (relative to you) that you had time slowed down in that same instant.
Yeah. I agree with that. I was actually thinking about how to overcome that if my characters have to travel to different universes. The closest I got was portals.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Yeah. I agree with that. I was actually thinking about how to overcome that if my characters have to travel to different universes. The closest I got was portals.

[/QUOTE]
If you control time, you can make yourself immune to its effects.

sarc said:
If you control time, you can make yourself immune to its effects.
Not necessarily. You could only be able to manipulate particular aspects of time, such as its speed or direction.

[QUOTE="mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y]
... the element... of surprise.

[/QUOTE]
Or perhaps, could you say... The element of Mayhem? Or chaos. Either one works.

LegoLad659 said:
Or perhaps, could you say... The element of Mayhem? Or chaos. Either one works.
I'm trying to imagine some lady running around causing explosions.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]I'm trying to imagine some lady running around causing explosions.

[/QUOTE]
Or just general chaos. It doesn't have to be destructive - She could turn buildings into flowers as she walks by or something. The main thing about chaos is that it doesn't make sense, by its definition ( :P )

LegoLad659 said:
Not necessarily. You could only be able to manipulate particular aspects of time, such as its speed or direction.
Granted, but the OP didn't indicate what, if any, limitations they were working with, so I made no assumptions.

LegoLad659 said:
Or just general chaos. It doesn't have to be destructive - She could turn buildings into flowers as she walks by or something. The main thing about chaos is that it doesn't make sense, by its definition ( :P )
Then, the obvious thing would be to suggest the element of order.

(Chaos is a bit overrated anyways)

sarc said:
Granted, but the OP didn't indicate what, if any, limitations they were working with, so I made no assumptions.
I'm working less with assumptions and more with possibilities ( :P ) The OP was the one that brought up the concern of rapid aging in the first place, after all. And if he's a good RPer, he doesn't want his character to become the physical embodiment of Godmod.

Hydreinoid said:
Then, the obvious thing would be to suggest the element of order.
(Chaos is a bit overrated anyways)
Well, control over one pretty much gives you control over the other: if you increase entropy, you reduce order, and if you increase order, you reduce entropy.

LegoLad659 said:
I'm working less with assumptions and more with possibilities ( :P ) The OP was the one that brought up the concern of rapid aging in the first place, after all. And if he's a good RPer, he doesn't want his character to become the physical embodiment of Godmod.
In which case, control over one of the most fundamental properties of the universe probably isn't the best idea.

@Storm Guardian[/URL] and @LegoLad659.

As elements, ice and water are the exact same thing. Ice is simply water in a different form. But it's still water. If you have water manipulation, you can freeze water and draw water from ice by melting it or something related.

Similarly, as elements, light and darkness are the exact same thing. Darkness is nothing but an absence of light. Light Manipulation would allow control over dark. Think about it. If you manipulated light, you could get rid of all the light in the area. That creates darkness. And you can get rid of the darkness too.

The same applies to pretty much everything else. As elements, opposites of each other are the same element. Life and death are the same element. Light and darkness are the same element. Order and chaos are the same element. The list goes on.

The element of Earth technically allows control over water and ice too. Same with fire. They are all from the Earth. Anything Earth itself can create, someone who has mastered the element of Earth should also be able to create and manipulate it. Earth creates nature, water, ice, and fire.

Time and Space are too different elements. They are not at all the same thing. Space could let you create pocket dimensions. If one character had control over both time AND space, they would be really powerful.

I had an idea, which I kinda wanted to check in with you guys.

Would Man-made things be a good idea? Like the elements that I said are all natural elements, we can find them all in the natural world at any time when Earth existed. But plastic and GMO products can't be found in the "natural" world, so do you think that would fit as an "element"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back