Anime & Manga Is there any new Anime worth watching?

Tardy Grade

The Page Turner
I don't know about the ones among you who are new to anime or have only taken it up in recent years but for some of us who've had the good fortune of watching the bulk of anime it sometimes feels like less and less new animes prove to be a worthwhile watch.

It's not that I'm drunk on nostalgia or have 'old-is-gold' mentality but just feel like that's been the case lately. In contrast I find western Animation to be on the upswing.

That said I'd love it if you guys could pitch in new anime that are worth a watch. (but please note I do mean new anime and not new seasons of pre-existing anime)

It's impossible to actually give you recommendations for shows that are strictly premiering this season, without knowing anything about them. I'd suggest asking this question in two weeks and simply following the anime Reddit.

That's a better way of surveying an anime season as a whole.

Guess we'll have to wait and see then.

However by recent I meant in the last two years or so.

And by new 'season' I meant follow ups to already ongoing series. Not the 'new anime release' season as a whole.

It's just a little bit older than 2 years old, but if you haven't seen Shirobako I highly recommend it. It's a kind of slice of life show about an anime studio that also teaches you a lot about how modern anime is made. It has a very heartwarming feel, a lovely cast, and tons of references to real anime studios and creators.

Oh cool. I'll give it a looksie even though it doesn't really strike me as my usual taste. Plus I think a friend may have recommended it too at one point so that's another point in it's favor.

Thanks

I think the biggest problem here is "what is the criteria for worth watching"? If it´s a personal sense of taste, then it´s a normal recomend me new anime thread. If it´s something that does not loose from being compared to other great works, there´s no such thing. Everything will get worse the more it is compared to something you saw first, simply because clichés and tropes only get boring after a large doseage. And if you mean works that stand well on their own without need for comparison that is a whole differen story as well. And these are just three possible criteria...

Well this thread isn't solely for me :3 It's for any and all to browse so providing an anime+description/reasons for watching it.

The people who benefit most of-course would be those like myself who've gotten fairly saturated with anime from a young age and at the current juncture can't seem to find 'good' 'new' anime.

Well the only criteria that I think I mentioned is within the past few years (2~4) and good enough that you can make a case for it?

Showa Genroku Rakugou Shinjuu. historical, atmospheric stuff about a specific form of Japanese theater.
Uchouten Kazoku. Slice of life comedy, its very atmospheric and there's a bunch of fun stuff.
91 Days. Revenge plot in the prohibition era in Illinois. The ending feels like a punch.
Boku no Hero Academia. Superhero stuff in the vein of western comic books. The world makes sense, and the characters are quite fun if you don't mind watching highschoolers do things.

well, then
*kobayashi no dragon maid
*gabriel dropout
*konosuba
*demi-chan wa katawaranai
*masamune-kun no revenge
*shelter
*mahou shoujo ikusei keikaku
*vivid strike!
*kimi no nawa
*mob psycho
*handa-kun
*and you thought there were no girls online?
*re: zero
*boku no hero academia
*hai to gensou no grimgar
*assassination classroom
*musaigen no phantom world
*one punch man
*rakudai kishi no cavalry
*lance n masques
*noragami
*kuusen madoushi kohousei no kyokan
*monster musume no iru nichijou
*jitsu wa watshi wa
*overlord
*charllote
*gate: jieitai kanochi nitte, kaku tatakaeri
*yamada to 7 ni-no majou
*nisekoi
*punch line
*mikagura school suite
*plastic memories
*arslan senki
*danmachi
*death parade
*absolute duo

and a bunch of others who are sequels to animes that came before 2015

now airing, some so far good ones:
*boku no hero academia 2nd season
*alice to zorouko
*clockwork planet
*kuzu no honkai
*re: creators
*rokudenashi majutsu koushi to akashic records

do forgive for not explaining why each of these is worth it, each might take a long time...

Guess we'll have to wait and see then.

However by recent I meant in the last two years or so.

And by new 'season' I meant follow ups to already ongoing series. Not the 'new anime release' season as a whole.
So you're basically asking if any of 400 anime shows released in the past 2 years have been good? Sick

Netoge
Keijo
Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon
shokugeki no souma
Nisekoi
UBW
Assassination classroom
Tokyo ghoul
Death parade
Saekano
Gate

I'm too lazy to go through 2016 right now.

well, then
*kobayashi no dragon maid
*gabriel dropout
*konosuba
*demi-chan wa katawaranai
*masamune-kun no revenge
*shelter
*mahou shoujo ikusei keikaku
*vivid strike!
*kimi no nawa
*mob psycho
*handa-kun
*and you thought there were no girls online?
*re: zero
*boku no hero academia
*hai to gensou no grimgar
*assassination classroom
*musaigen no phantom world
*one punch man
*rakudai kishi no cavalry
*lance n masques
*noragami
*kuusen madoushi kohousei no kyokan
*monster musume no iru nichijou
*jitsu wa watshi wa
*overlord
*charllote
*gate: jieitai kanochi nitte, kaku tatakaeri
*yamada to 7 ni-no majou
*nisekoi
*punch line
*mikagura school suite
*plastic memories
*arslan senki
*danmachi
*death parade
*absolute duo

and a bunch of others who are sequels to animes that came before 2015

now airing, some so far good ones:
*boku no hero academia 2nd season
*alice to zorouko
*clockwork planet
*kuzu no honkai
*re: creators
*rokudenashi majutsu koushi to akashic records

do forgive for not explaining why each of these is worth it, each might take a long time...
And season 1 of Boku no hero was in 2016...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back