Advice/Help Is it weird or frustrating of me to only roleplay one character regardless of the genre?

RedLikeRubies

The Rosy Red Role-player
Hello everyone!! My name is Ruby and I'm new to this site, but not roleplaying in general!!

As a role-player, I enjoy a LOT of different genres and stories!! I don't mind if the world is made up from scratch or borrowed from an existing property, I've had fun in all kinds of scenarios!! The only problem I've encountered is that, well, I only ever roleplay as the same character since it serves as a big comfort for me.

Now don't get me wrong!! I don't play the character exactly the same way regardless of the genre or setup, of course I adjust things to suit to roleplay that I'm apart of!! But the very fundamentals are the same no matter what, and I've had quite a few people express frustration or anger without even giving me a chance, some have even said that I'm not a real writer or role-player :(

I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong by only playing the same character, like I said its sorta a source of comfort for me and its what is most enjoyable for me but its started to make me feel selfish and like I'm a bad roleplay partner. May I please have some thoughts?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!
~Ruby V.

I used to have a few characters I'd constantly use and insert in any RP I was a part of. Hell, I have 100+ versions of the same character who has the same name in all versions because I wanted to be her and she was also my comfort character.

It doesn't make you selfish or a bad RPer. I was never ridiculed for my comfort character usage and if people are that upset about it, they shouldn't RP with you anyway. I know it can get a little bland for others to see the same thing, but they have to accept that it is a mainstay of who you are as an RPer. I use stereotypes and then throw them upside down a lot, and most people don't like the first half of what I'm doing until they see I'm actually just subverting a trope/stereotype.

Now, I haven't changed my character much, if at all. They still feel fresh, but they still have the angsty backstory that gives my character a harsh drive to go through the RP no matter what, they share several names I rotate around, and they are a femme fatale badass. Not much changes besides the canonical lore between fandoms and what's available and what's not.

But because I change up their appearance slightly, their name, and fit them in the RP's settings, they still feel like a semi-fresh character. However, they are mechanically the same thing.

Honestly, people shouldn't be shitting on others' character choices unless there is a problem. I don't see reusing the same character as a problem, I just see you are attached to them because it gives you security and safety away from the stresses of life. That's fine. Maybe they'd like more variety from you, but they shouldn't control or guilt trip you to change. People who destroy what makes something fun and comforting for others are scumbags, lol XD and I'm not laughing light heartedly about this.

My advice, if they don't have any real criticism, don't listen to them and don't RP with them. Even if they are the only ones who will RP with you, I would much rather find someone or few people who are better than that (they do exist) rather than let the toxicity continue.

I used to have a few characters I'd constantly use and insert in any RP I was a part of. Hell, I have 100+ versions of the same character who has the same name in all versions because I wanted to be her and she was also my comfort character.

It doesn't make you selfish or a bad RPer. I was never ridiculed for my comfort character usage and if people are that upset about it, they shouldn't RP with you anyway. I know it can get a little bland for others to see the same thing, but they have to accept that it is a mainstay of who you are as an RPer. I use stereotypes and then throw them upside down a lot, and most people don't like the first half of what I'm doing until they see I'm actually just subverting a trope/stereotype.

Now, I haven't changed my character much, if at all. They still feel fresh, but they still have the angsty backstory that gives my character a harsh drive to go through the RP no matter what, they share several names I rotate around, and they are a femme fatale badass. Not much changes besides the canonical lore between fandoms and what's available and what's not.

But because I change up their appearance slightly, their name, and fit them in the RP's settings, they still feel like a semi-fresh character. However, they are mechanically the same thing.

Honestly, people shouldn't be shitting on others' character choices unless there is a problem. I don't see reusing the same character as a problem, I just see you are attached to them because it gives you security and safety away from the stresses of life. That's fine. Maybe they'd like more variety from you, but they shouldn't control or guilt trip you to change. People who destroy what makes something fun and comforting for others are scumbags, lol XD and I'm not laughing light heartedly about this.

My advice, if they don't have any real criticism, don't listen to them and don't RP with them. Even if they are the only ones who will RP with you, I would much rather find someone or few people who are better than that (they do exist) rather than let the toxicity continue.
Aha!! Thank you so much!! This is such a relief to hear you have no idea!! I was really started to doubt myself as an RPer because its one of my core beliefs that both people should be getting equal input and enjoyment out of the roleplay and I was afraid I was ruining it for other people T-T
Thank you so much for your input and thoughts!!
~ Ruby V.

Aha!! Thank you so much!! This is such a relief to hear you have no idea!! I was really started to doubt myself as an RPer because its one of my core beliefs that both people should be getting equal input and enjoyment out of the roleplay and I was afraid I was ruining it for other people T-T
Thank you so much for your input and thoughts!!
~ Ruby V.

You're welcome. :3 You aren't ruining it for others. Those people are likely tired of seeing it but they have the option to react accordingly and politely, ignore it from ever affecting them, or leaving the RP and doing something else. They aren't confined to one area like if they were in real life. They can leave the page whenever they want and find something else to do or make a similar RP. XD

I don't get the overcompensation in confrontation (I mean, I do, but still), but oh well. XD

But you are right, people should be getting equal enjoyment out of it. However, they are also in charge of their emotions/reactions and it is their fault if something as seemingly mundane as someone reusing the same character bothers them so much. It may not feel like they have control over their reaction, but they do. While equal input would fit better with figuring out plot and where their character fits, their input shouldn't affect someone else's character choice. That is on you and what you want to do, not them. It's your character for a reason, not their's.

Just to drive the nail home. ;)

Have a good night/day. :3

Now don't get me wrong!! I don't play the character exactly the same way regardless of the genre or setup, of course I adjust things to suit to roleplay that I'm apart of!! But the very fundamentals are the same no matter what, and I've had quite a few people express frustration or anger without even giving me a chance, some have even said that I'm not a real writer or role-player :(

There are people without tact or decency out there, and its best not to give heed to them. While I personally wouldn't want to roleplay with someone who only uses one character, saying you're not a real writer or roleplayer (whatever that means) is not only going too far, its patently absurd. As Merciless Medic Merciless Medic pointed out, they could simply have been polite about it and not reacted excessively, even if they are frustrated.

I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong by only playing the same character, like I said its sorta a source of comfort for me and its what is most enjoyable for me but its started to make me feel selfish and like I'm a bad roleplay partner. May I please have some thoughts?

Re-using characters, even if it's only one character, is definitely not an inherently bad thing. I can understand why someone would be annoyed by it, until very recently I would've outright refused to roleplay with anyone re-using characters in 1x1s at least, and even now I would be hesitant to, it can feel unfitting and like the other player isn't caring as much about the RP because they aren't making a character specifically for it. More importantly, in my opinion, it often denotes an excessive attachment to the character and that can be a real red flag, because the person may prioritize their character's well being or reputation over the story or even their partner entirely.

However, two of those reasons are a personal feeling of discomfort at the idea of it (in other words it's on the side of the other player not the one re-using a character) and the last problem is simply a common occurrence, not something automatically necessitated, or in other words the excessive attachment and resulting biased behavior is a problem, not the re-using of a character.

Once again: Re-using a character does not make you a bad roleplayer, writer, partner or anything else. There are problems with that kind of thing but nothing that can't be worked out by improving your skills or mindset as a writer, or by finding a different partner who's more comfortable with it.

So overall, here's what I would recommend you do:

1. Do not give up, try to ignore the rude comments. Its not easy, but maybe you could try to make some friends around here, people who would gladly lend you an ear when the going gets tough.
2. Continue looking for an RP that's right for you, but in doing so try to always be upfront about the fact you only want to use this one character. There's nothing wrong with using that character, but trying to sneak it past people is another matter entirely.
3. Fiction is fiction, characters are just that - characters. Whatever purpose you give them try to remember to not try to go outside of this framework with them. The moment you give them special treatment as if they were more than that is the very moment when a person can spiral down into the kinds of behavior that really make their way into common complaints.

In any case, I hope this helps. Best of luck out there, and happy roleplaying!

As someone who personally has a lot of bad experiences dealing with premade original characters I have found the best approach is to simply do a character pitch.

As most of the time what throws people off is the details not the fact that your playing the same character. They see some premade character and assume it’s gonna come with a lot of baggage in terms of premade storylines or expectations about shipping.

Especially since a lot of people reuse story elements a lot. They will have the same backstory or the same personality in play for multiple different characters. So the fact that your refusing character elements is definitely not the problem.

I think it might be a bit in how your presenting it. I personally would just present the character as it’s own unique thing for each roleplay. As presumably the character does change with the story and setting.

So yeah if you are making your own thread just make it ::

I want to play Role A in this story (describe story)

if you are responding to someone else “Hey I have an idea for your Role 1, (describe your idea).

I think it might be a bit in how your presenting it. I personally would just present the character as it’s own unique thing for each roleplay. As presumably the character does change with the story and setting.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are suggesting here, but this effectively sounds like lying. Like the idea seems to be they would be saying their character ir original and unique to the roleplay, when in fact they are in full awareness they are re-using one. That doesn’t sound like a good place to start from, and if caught could immediately shatter any trust between the players. I think it’s best to be upfront about these things and simply try to find someone who doesn’t mind or even is into it.

Though maybe I misunderstood you of course.

No my point is pitch the character first. As presumably the character is unique in the sense they are being altered to fit the plot.

So it’s unlikely they are a carbon copy each time because then they are putting a character that doesn’t fit into a new story.

I mean if it’s that important to OP they can say it’s a character they like to play. But the problem seems to be semantic in nature.

Saying your playing the same character implies the character does not change.

Saying “I have an idea for a character that will fit” is still saying it’s premade but it’s giving the impression the character has been altered to fit the story.

No my point is pitch the character first. As presumably the character is unique in the sense they are being altered to fit the plot.

So it’s unlikely they are a carbon copy each time because then they are putting a character that doesn’t fit into a new story.

I see. Still a bit iffy about it, but it's not my decision to make either way. Sorry to bother.

I see. Still a bit iffy about it, but it's not my decision to make either way. Sorry to bother.

I mean my point is are you literally saying “hey I just made up this character for the roleplay” no. Are you saying “I have a premade character I want to use.” No.

But it’s not a binary. You aren’t lying when you say “I have an idea for a character who will fit the roleplay.” Because that’s exactly what is happening.

I mean my point is are you literally saying “hey I just made up this character for the roleplay” no. Are you saying “I have a premade character I want to use.” No.

But it’s not a binary. You aren’t lying when you say “I have an idea for a character who will fit the roleplay.” Because that’s exactly what is happening.

I suppose that's true. I guess with the right timing, like if you start by pitching the character rather than introducing them as though you'd created them just then, it's not really deceitful.

... I've had quite a few people express frustration or anger without even giving me a chance, some have even said that I'm not a real writer or role-player :(

I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong by only playing the same character...

The very notion that you're "not a real writer or role-player" just because you like using one character concept is, without any room for doubt or debate, absolute nonsense. I've known plenty of people in my 20+ years of role-playing who were fine writers despite only ever using one or two characters no matter the RP they were in.

Anyone saying that is not only wrong, but also proving themselves to be highly immature as well as lacking any sense of self control or open mindedness. And both of those traits are extremely important for being a good writer and role-player.

Those people belong in one place in your life: squarely in your Ignore/Block List.

Having said this, I would still like to advise that you at least start thinking about ways that you can start taking small steps to break out of your comfort zone and get a feeling and, hopefully, a taste for creating new character ideas. One of the beautiful things about character creation is the infinite possibilities there are for creating them. And I understand that this can also be the most daunting part. But my advice is to take it slow and don't try to just rush to a character idea. Let it come to you by focusing on a few key questions.

1) Take one day to think about the genres that you most enjoy role-playing in, and think about the most common character types you see in those genres. And then, ask yourself this question: "Do I want to play any of those kinds of characters, or do I want to create something entirely different or even maybe against the grain to what's considered normal for the genre?" This will really help jumpstart your creative juices the more you ask yourself the question and think about the answer. Because the answer is going to be very simple. You either like and want to play one of those character types, or you'll want to create something new. One of two possibilities. 50/50. Even split. Simple.

2) Once you have a definitive answer to the above question, whether it's a few hours later, a day later, a week later, or a month later, then ask yourself this question: "What do I want my character to do?" This question will help define what kinds of professions or natural habits your character has and will help shape what they look like in your head as well so you'll have an easier time honing in on a good face claim image for them down the road when you're ready to search for one. But for now, just focus on what you want them to do as a primary profession for the genre(s) you plan to use them in. It'll help keep things simple. And if you want to change that profession/habit later when joining a specific RP type, you can.

3 Once you know what you want the character to do, ask "Who do I want them to be?" This is arguably the most important question you could possibly ask about your character as it literally defines everything they are and will become. So who do you want your character to be? Do you want them to be a kind and straightforward person with a few quirky habits that some might find funny or annoying? Do you want them to be the calm silent type who's very endearing despite their otherwise introverted nature and easy to get along with once someone makes the effort? Do you want them to be an arrogant or otherwise unpleasant person to start and give them a bit of a redemption arc so they become more likable along the way? Who do you want this character(s) to be?

4) Once you know who they are, there's one final question to ask before you can say the character is ready to be used in the RP: "What does the RP I want to join need from them?" Every RP will need different kinds of character based on what the story is and what other characters already exist. So take into consideration not only the genre, but the time period, level of technology, whether there's magic or other mystical/abnormal forces at work, religions and other cultural elements, and what the other characters who are in the RP are like in accordance with these elements and then shape your character accordingly. In an ideal situation, your character will be just different enough from everyone else to conflict with them on some things, but agree with them on others to create a balanced and natural dynamic between them. If your character is always in 100% agreement with the others, that's boring. Stories are built on conflict, not compliance or agreements. So be sure that your character is different enough to conflict with the RP's world and the other characters just enough to generate a little bit of tension here and there.

And that's it from me!

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

I suppose that's true. I guess with the right timing, like if you start by pitching the character rather than introducing them as though you'd created them just then, it's not really deceitful.

Yeah my point was never “lie and say you made a character right this minute”.

I myself have premade characters and I usually just introduce them by saying “So I had a character in mind for this role. (Describe character).”

Cuz like my partner usually isn’t gonna care what my character creation process is beyond “hey what role do you wanna play?”

So to me I don’t think keeping extraneous details from your partner is lying. Cuz like most people don’t care what other roleplays your doing unless it’s in the case of “hey sorry I can’t reply today I gotta reply to roleplay B instead.”

Which going back to OP, it is weird the other people are so pressed about who you play in roleplays that have nothing to do with them.

I can see why some people might not like the idea of reusing a character over and over for different rps, but to say they're not real writers or roleplayers because of it is just bunk in my opinion.

There's no rule that says the wheel must be reinvented with every new roleplay. I personally like doing it because my ideas and flavor of the month changes. I've known a lot of people though who've had extraordinarily detailed characters who wanted to give them new homes after their rps fizzled rather than just let all their hardwork go to the trash. Makes perfect sense to me, and Im not exactly sure why people would be fussed about it unless you're reusing the character over and over in roleplays with the same partner.

That would bother me personally because at that point, I might mentally already know the character and feel theres little left to explore by just changing the genre or setting. I certainly wouldn't equate that with writing or roleplaying skill though.

Using the same character in literally every RP would certainly make me uncomfortable and not want to RP with the person, but I do realize that everyone has difference preferences. If you can find players who are okay with you using the same character over and over then all the more power to you I suppose.

I most of the time, create brand new characters for most RPs, but sometimes I get a craving to play a certain character and will then make a version of them that is tailored to whatever world I happen to be rping in. I subscribe to the multiverse theory, so as such, there can be many versions of the same character. The experiences that they go through will make that character very different in the end.

After all, its all about the journey that they go on and not the destination.

So in conclusion, it is not weird or odd to only have one character, as long as they are tailored enough to fit the setting that you want to be using them in. :)

Hello everyone!! My name is Ruby and I'm new to this site, but not roleplaying in general!!

As a role-player, I enjoy a LOT of different genres and stories!! I don't mind if the world is made up from scratch or borrowed from an existing property, I've had fun in all kinds of scenarios!! The only problem I've encountered is that, well, I only ever roleplay as the same character since it serves as a big comfort for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!
~Ruby V.
Just my take: nope! I used to be in the same boat. I made an original character's personality, and essentially molded it to fit the plot/setting.

There's no shame in using the only character throughout genre. Making lots of OCs is definitely not for everyone, and even making more than one isn't for everybody. I myself only have like 2 or 3, but 1 will work just fine!

I think as long as you're still working within the confines - actually, confines is harsh. As long as you're still working within the setting of the Roleplay and molding, growing, and adapting your character as needed, pretty sure you're just fine in my book. Really, anything passes as long as it's not a mary/gary/larry sue!

- A lost undead

I think it's important to have different characters, especially if you are roleplaying with the same group of people. It can get frustrating seeing the same character over and over, especially in different settings. Say I roleplayed with a John Grey, a swamp sorcerer in a wizard world, then the same John Grey pops up again as an earth bender in an Avatar the Legend of Aang RP, and then again as a gargoyle vampire in a modern vampire RP. It kinda gets old, hearing the same story and the same character over and over ^^'

If you're joining an RP with a totally new group, go for it! They haven't heard of John before and they might enjoy him! If the new group you join have many people already familiar with John, I think it's better to switch to keep things exciting for everyone.

I kinda-sorta used to do that with like three characters.

I mean sure, it'll be fun to do a cross-RP crossover where the various versions of this character fight this big evil version of themselves eventually, but eeeehhhh...

As they've all said, best to use more than one or try a new guy. When I branched out into storytelling more, I made more characters for RPs and outside RPs alike.

Like others have previously stated, it is ridiculous that someone would say you are a "bad" writer for sticking with your comfort character. You can have one character and expand upon that individual endlessly, giving a rise to many interesting plotlines, quirks, and interactions. The personality traits of this character, which most likely reflect your own, also help you become more comfortable with those traits and allows you to portray that character better in any situation. However, I do believe that you are limiting yourself as a writer.

Personally, creating a new character is a writing challenge in of itself. Writing a narcissistic, sadistic, and sociopathic character is a huge challenge for me. Almost in the lines with method acting, you have to take great deliberation to truly understand the mind of a narcissist, sadist, and sociopath to write this character accurately. To get the most enjoyment, you want to put on a show. By curtailing each of your characters to a specific story, you give yourself the challenge of writing from another perspective and the opportunity to grow as a writer. The analogy that I am getting at is the jack of all trades is better than the master of one. If you are able to adeptly write a character on a spectrum from completely neurotypical to utter psychopath, then you will have many more opportunities to explore different interactions versus only writing along one guideline.

Curtailing a character to a specific story also allows you to ask yourself really interesting questions. Start from birth. Did they have both parents or one? If they only had one, was it the mother or the father? Why? How did this affect them? Was society patriarchal or matriarchal and how did this affect their upringing? Were they seen as abnormally masculine/feminine in contrast to society's preconceived notions? Did they grow up rich? Poor? What was their parents professions? Were they close with their parents?

In a way, you can "zoom out" from the story and reflect deeper on yourself and humanity at large. Every action you have taken and every encounter you have ever experienced creates your identity. They mold the way you interact with yourself, the world, and the people around you. Thinking about characters hypercritically will bring you closer to your own humanity. A lot of the time, these characters can even be therapeutic. Modeling a character after yourself that is empowered in a story can help you create a positive image of yourself. Maybe you model a character of who you want to be. You start thinking about that character's personality, habits, etc. very critically and start to implement them in your life. You think about the disadvantaged underdog character and it humbles you. Trying to get into the mind of someone who has seen the evils of war as a someone who has never touched a gun is an extremely challenging task yet, if done properly and tactfully, you can gain a whole new appreciation for that character and the people you will encounter in life that are of similar cuts.

It's perfectly normal that you would like to rp the same character somewhere else if the rp you had before died. And since most rps die before reaching any satisfying point, it's only expected that you would reuse the character you put so much time and thought into over and over again until it "works".

Most pro roleplayers I knew had several dozen OCs they reused in rps with slight tweaks to account for setting. If you only reuse just one character now, it's fine, but one day you will get bored and you will add someone else to your arsenal. Then someone else. And thus, you will build your original character library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back