Experiences Is it safe to come back?

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey ya'll. I'm (maybe) back after a few months of hiatus. Took a bit of a break because I was having trouble finding RP Groups in the flavor I wanted. I took a break from online roleplay as a whole. Not just this site. So here's hoping that the mood has shifted a bit. I reached out in the Discord server... but it seems a bit more dead than when I was last there.

So what's the word around town? Are we still stuck on Academy Werewolf-Vampire-Witch Superhero Ninja Zombie Isekai? Or can I hope to find Group RP in relatable context now?

Last edited:
Those genres have always been popular. Take a look around and see what's there and if you don't see anything you like, make your own RP and maybe others will share your interests. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Those genres have always been popular. Take a look around and see what's there and if you don't see anything you like, make your own RP and maybe others will share your interests. Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yeah, that's pretty much the first thing ppl always tell me. As indicated in my sig, hosting an RP is not something that I wish to undertake. Too much responsibility. Too difficult to herd along the players. And I don't want to put in all the work of making a setting and plot just to have everyone bail on me. <-- This has happened to me so many times over the last two decades, that I'm utterly through with hosting RPs anymore.

I don't think it changed in terms of popular fandoms. But since finding roleplays is very much luck-based, you can still try again. Maybe this time you'll have more luck. There are certainly new people who registered since that time and maybe someone will be interested in the same things.

I don't think it changed in terms of popular fandoms. But since finding roleplays is very much luck-based, you can still try again. Maybe this time you'll have more luck. There are certainly new people who registered since that time and maybe someone will be interested in the same things.
Nice to know you're still here and active :-)

I have some pretty niche RP interests so I feel this. Sometimes it can take months for me to find RP's to actually invest in. One just has to be patient. Keep looking and you may find something eventually.

I have some pretty niche RP interests so I feel this. Sometimes it can take months for me to find RP's to actually invest in. One just has to be patient. Keep looking and you may find something eventually.
if it takes months, I usually go off on another break. Come back, try again. rinse and repeat.

if it takes months, I usually go off on another break. Come back, try again. rinse and repeat.

I feel like you may have more luck with 1x1's. There tends to be more diversity there.

I feel like you may have more luck with 1x1's. There tends to be more diversity there.
I don't like 1x1 RP. I feel like there is a lot of pressure on me as the only other contributor to the story. In groups, there are more people, and my part is smaller and thus more relaxed. (See Signature)

I don't like 1x1 RP. I feel like there is a lot of pressure on me as the only other contributor to the story. In groups, there are more people, and my part is smaller and thus more relaxed. (See Signature)

I'm actually the opposite in that I prefer 1x1's over group. Group RP's get stressful since there's more pressure to post at a certain time and such.

I'm actually the opposite in that I prefer 1x1's over group. Group RP's get stressful since there's more pressure to post at a certain time and such.
I feel that way with 1x1. Except since there is just one other, your "turn" to post comes up immediately. Even if immediate responses are discused to not be a thing, I still feel pressured to start working on a response as soon as a partner posts.

In a group of 4 or 5 others, it can sometimes take three or more days before it's your turn again. And by that time, I've already written up a skeleton of my next post at a more relaxed pace.

Last edited:
I like weird premises and the last few times I ran rps it was really easy to find people. A few years ago I'd have to make an interest check short, sprinkle in a lot of pretty images, bbcode and stuff but these days a lot more people are willing to read through a reasonably sized text wall.

hosting an RP is not something that I wish to undertake. Too much responsibility. Too difficult to herd along the players. And I don't want to put in all the work of making a setting and plot just to have everyone bail on me.
I've certainly felt this way before but group rps hardly ever last longer than a couple of months. Just relax, write whatever the hell kinda game you want and don't obsess too much about keeping everyone 100% invested. No need to pressure yourself.

You can also try looking for like minded people and form a private group. Maybe someone will gm for you.

I like weird premises and the last few times I ran rps it was really easy to find people. A few years ago I'd have to make an interest check short, sprinkle in a lot of pretty images, bbcode and stuff but these days a lot more people are willing to read through a reasonably sized text wall.

I've certainly felt this way before but group rps hardly ever last longer than a couple of months. Just relax, write whatever the hell kinda game you want and don't obsess too much about keeping everyone 100% invested. No need to pressure yourself.

You can also try looking for like minded people and form a private group. Maybe someone will gm for you.
The thing is, when i make settings for RP they are very detailed and thorough. I have made maps, defined locations, put in details for economies, have multiple races and histories for those races, etc. etc.

In the case of sci-fi stuff, I have gone to the extent of creating and defining a plethora pf planets and locations, different states of tech, bunches of alien races. It's a lot of work. But if I'm going to do something, I go big or go home. That's just the way I function. SO, it's better for me to just attach myself to someone else's concept and do my small part in my big way.

The thing is, when i make settings for RP they are very detailed and thorough. I have made maps, defined locations, put in details for economies, have multiple races and histories for those races, etc. etc.

In the case of sci-fi stuff, I have gone to the extent of creating and defining a plethora pf planets and locations, different states of tech, bunches of alien races. It's a lot of work. But if I'm going to do something, I go big or go home. That's just the way I function. SO, it's better for me to just attach myself to someone else's concept and do my small part in my big way.
Oh that sounds intense. I can see how it could be a problem. You might have more success with that in tabletop but that's an entirely different beast.

despite a billion rillion newbies this site is slow in both discord and interest checks

Oh that sounds intense. I can see how it could be a problem. You might have more success with that in tabletop but that's an entirely different beast.
Yeah. Essentially I build what equates to a campaign setting. But I don't do the stats and dice thing. So it's purely narrative based.

despite a billion rillion newbies this site is slow in both discord and interest checks
Well, I'm not new here. Just newly returned. And from my experience, RPN is actually more active than most places. So if you think it's slow here, it's basically dead in a LOT of other places.

Honestly the easiest solution is making your own RP with a friend to help shoulder the burden of GMing.
Hi Phantom! I see you are also still here. ;-)

I've attempted co-GM scenarios before. I even tried it here before I went on my short hiatus. It's... wonky, to say the least. Didn;t really work out. And tbh, I'm in the mood for a certain kind of RP for a short duration before I lose my muse. So waiting around for someone to take up the offer usually just winds up with me changing gears and chasing a new idea.

I've also undertaken the endeavor of gathering a group of like-interested people and seeing if any of them would want to GM our conglomerate ideas. Surmise it to say, this approach is like herding cats.

The simplest thing for me to do is toss out my list of interests and see if there are groups recruiting for the stuff I like. Anything else becomes more complicated, and with considerably more for me to lose in terms of effort made.

I had given GMing one last shot before I had left. It didn't get the interest I needed to move forward. It's just a lot safer for me to attach to someone else's RP than to try my own. And effort and chance aside, one does not get the same kind of RP experience when they are creating/controlling the environments and outcome of the story around the players. I want to explore a setting. I want to be surprised, and worried, and happy, and sad about the unexpected twists and turns that befall my character. You simply can't experience that as a GM.

Hi Phantom! I see you are also still here. ;-)

I've attempted co-GM scenarios before. I even tried it here before I went on my short hiatus. It's... wonky, to say the least. Didn;t really work out. And tbh, I'm in the mood for a certain kind of RP for a short duration before I lose my muse. So waiting around for someone to take up the offer usually just winds up with me changing gears and chasing a new idea.

I've also undertaken the endeavor of gathering a group of like-interested people and seeing if any of them would want to GM our conglomerate ideas. Surmise it to say, this approach is like herding cats.

The simplest thing for me to do is toss out my list of interests and see if there are groups recruiting for the stuff I like. Anything else becomes more complicated, and with considerably more for me to lose in terms of effort made.

I had given GMing one last shot before I had left. It didn't get the interest I needed to move forward. It's just a lot safer for me to attach to someone else's RP than to try my own. And effort and chance aside, one does not get the same kind of RP experience when they are creating/controlling the environments and outcome of the story around the players. I want to explore a setting. I want to be surprised, and worried, and happy about the unexpected twists and turns that befall my character. You simply can't experience that as a GM.
To be fair, RPN is a different site so the chances of the exact same experience is slim.

I suggest you give it a go here if you have a friend to help you.

To be fair, RPN is a different site so the chances of the exact same experience is slim.

I suggest you give it a go here if you have a friend to help you.
No, I mean... that was attempted here. And maybe a month or something later, I just got fed up and gave roleplaying a long break.

I'm not meaning to complain about the RPN site and/or community in any way. Quite the contrary. This place is much, MUCH more active than a lot of other places. If I can't do it here, my chances on other sites I've been on are even more slim.

No, I mean... that was attempted here. And maybe a month or something later, I just got fed up and gave roleplaying a long break.

I'm not meaning to complain about the RPN site and/or community in any way. Quite the contrary. This place is much, MUCH more active than a lot of other places. If I can't do it here, my chances on other sites I've been on are even more slim.
I'm sorry but that's really your best option. You have to try and try again. I've done multiple failed RPs before the one that I'm in right now. It's trial and error.

I'm sorry but that's really your best option. You have to try and try again. I've done multiple failed RPs before the one that I'm in right now. It's trial and error.
Well, I'm just adamantly against GMing. I don't have the time or patience for it anymore. ↓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back