• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Into the fire (1x1 MzHyde/Gallifrog)

The robotics/medical facility
Rinaa didn't exactly laugh out loud at Fia's comment even though she found it funny. She hadn't let her guard down that much, her old instincts keeping that kind of thing very much in check. But when she spoke again there was a faint something of suppressed amusement in the tone of her next remark. "Some of those muscles are genuine though, speedsters just get them as, like, a side effect of their speed force connection and hyper metabolism." Rinaa was no doctor, but quite a few of her friends were meta, so she'd just picked up quite a lot about meta human biology by osmosis from just being around them.

"But the more human ones who would need to train for like thirty hours a week to get that physique? They don't, it's totally plastic surgery. And they don't stop there, I bet they've all had facial work done, espescially the ones the entire population considers "handsome" or so "drop dead gorgeous" that they literally faint from seeing their "beauty" on the news." She made the air quotes gesture from across the bike saddle, insinuating that she didn't at all find the main League members good looking physically.

the robotics/medical facility

Fia could tell Rinaa was keeping her mused reactions in check and to herself. Her tone was giving that much away, and she was glad that she could at least amuse Rinaa, even if she couldn't see it openly. "I don't doubt some are genuine. Some of the others are questionable" she replied with. She knew what the possible side effects would be for metas and for the likes of Wonder Woman's would be totally different compared to the likes of Arrow and Batman.

Fia then listened to her next remark and smirked at the use of air quotes. At least they had the opinion of whether any of the League were attractive the same. "I hear you on that one. I don't get the hype of their looks at all. Yet I've noticed people always crave what they can't have and if that's the look and vibe of one of them? Whatever, fair play to them I say. I personally would prefer the person next door than someone who looks like one of the League" She added.

At least they could agree on something, even if it was on that the League were not attractive, maybe with some exceptions in the younger protégés of the main heroes that weren't fully qualified and contained a rebellious streak that hadn't been curbed. But either way, the mainstream heroes weren't Rinaa's cup of tea (not that she drank it). Fia's point still stodd, people really did want what they couldn't have, simply for that reason. The fact that it was unattainable and wouldn't actually happen made it so much easier to be infatuated.

"I know what you mean, it's the fact that they can't have them that makes people like them. It's easier to live a fantasy that will never happen as you will never stand the risk of rejection like you would with somebody you actually knew. And besides, sometimes people are in love with the idea of being in love. It's the thrill of the chase, not the catch itself that appeals to them." Whether Fia could tell or not, Rinaa was speaking from her own experience at some places. She'd been the stereotype teen at one point and had a couple of disastrous relationships that didn't last very long.

Hearing Rinaa collaborate what she said briefly, made Fia nod in agreement sharply. "Exactly. It's a crazy idealogy really, but basic psychology really if you ask me. Me? I prefer obtainable to unobtainable. Guess I get that from mum and dad really...well what their relationship is anyway" she commented. She always saw the two of them as the kinds of "people next door" types, who just went about their lives and found each other. She didn't know what it was like fully for them in Rinaa's timeline, other than what she was told, but in her timeline they were just that.. her parents who were solid.

They didn't try to be anyone other than themselves. They were greatly flawed but never hid it. They owned up to their flaws and fixed what they could, as well as worked together as a team. Both equals, which was something Fia highly respected. She didn't get the whole speaking from experience vibe from Rinaa, but if she had she wouldn't have said anything anyway.

As Fia spoke, Rinaa reached over to her shoulder bag, rooted around and pulled out some of the chocolate she'd bought earlier. It wasn't the healthiest thing to be eating, but her metabolism burned through everything pretty fast now, and she had no intention of blacking out from hunger. She leaned against the workbench as she ate, reading into Fia's words about her parents relationship. John and Kay still had a strong bond in her timeline. John was still pig-headley stubborn, but had accepted his flaws a long time ago. But both were haunted, John by the loss of Elliott, a part of him had died permanently that day. Kay felt the loss of Elliott too, but she had never known him as well as John had.

"I couldn't say who I'm more like in that regard. Considering it took them years to actually say something about how they actually felt,and even then, that only happened less than two days ago......its weird. I know a lot about Jay's past." Rinaa called this times version of her parents by their first names, it was just easier and less awkward. It also helped prevent the mental double take that they'd keep doing when being reminded that they'd become parents at some point or another. They'd barely managed to tell the other how they felt before she'd come along. "I can see some of the same parallels between us. But as for Elliott, apparently I'm very much like him....some would say too much."

the robotics/medical facility

Fia noted Rinaa eating but didn't pay much attention. She just put it down to her wanting to eat and needing to, and it was none of her business either way. She smirked at Rinaa's reply about the whole 'who are they more like' deal out of their parents. She didn't find knowing a lot about Jay's past but not Elliott's particularly strange, considering how Elliott wasn't around when Rinaa was growing up. She Lao notes how Rinaa always called her parents by their first new, and again she just put it down to the way she was and how she did things.

Fia would have been the same way but where she few up with both John and Kay, it was second nature to just call them mum and dad. She tried to call them by their first names and she just found it too alien to her. She also hadn't been corrected on it by either of them, so figured they didn't exactly mind the titles being used. She was sure if either didn't like it, then they'd tell her so and she would have made more of an effort to distance herself from this timelines versions of her folks. "I see. I guess from what I've seen, I can see where they're coming from but obviously they've seen more of you than I have." Fia replied.

Her resemblance to Elliott had been something Rinaa had been made aware of growing up. Being chimera meant that she didn't just inherit Elliott's appearance, she was also given some of his traits too. It was small things mainly, nervous habits, the way of laughing, the way they both held a guitar, the way they sprawled across the couch after zonking out. Fia's answer was one that didn't put her either side of the fence, a tactical move. "Not that much more. A little over half of the time I was masked, for obvious reasons, and I'm not exactly hanging around the apartment with them every hour of my free time either."

She glanced at her watch, far longer had past than she had realised. Time always flew when she was working on a project. "Speaking of which, its best to get moving, unless you've suddenly developed an interest in sneaking into uni courses on alien planets?" She asked, carefully lifted the bike frame up, straining slightly under the weight. There was no way yet to properly secure the wheels, so carrying it was the only option. Rinaa had also taken dibs on a project sorgae unit, a testiment to just how she liked to plan ahead and be organised when it came to her work. The frame and parts went inside, all arranged in an organised fashion.

Fia was slightly surprised by her answer. She honestly thought she'd have been around them a lot more than that. She didn't let her surprise show on her face though. "ah, fair enough" she replied as she noticed Rinaa checking her watch. Not even Fia realised just how much time had passed. "Not particularly no. I'll leave all that heavy subject stuff to you" she smirked, grabbing her violin models in the process. No way was she going to leave them behind.

She walked with Rinaa so she could store her bike project away before she let Rinaa take her back to the apartment so Rinaa could still have time to get to her various classes for the afternoon. She would have gladly snuck in if it was anything else, but she wasn't up for listening to something in a language she didn't know when she swore she wouldn't use her runes go make life easier on Attil. As tempting as it was at times, it wasn't worth pissing this John off.

Rinaa could have mentioned that some courses were taught through English, but she didn't bother to divulge that particular piece of information. As well as their talking had gone, she wasn't trying to make friends with this version of Fia, or build any kind of bridges with her. Rinaa couldn't see the point. She'd more than likely never be returning to her own timeline again, and if she did, that version of Fia wouldn't be on her visiting list. And with the inevitability of her own death, which would be coming in the next few weeks, months if she got lucky, she needed time on her own away from everybody in order to be anonymous, just another face in the crowd.

With everything stowed, tools returned, and the work bench cleaned up Rinaa led Fia back to the apartment block by a slightly different route, stopping to buy a portion of of crispy potato fries from one of the shops along the way. They were the kind that wouldn't look out of place in a London chipper, greasy, salty and fried in far too much oil, but still utterly delicious.

Fia could tell that Rinaa was still holding back, despite how well they actually got on, all things considered. She didn't want to press on it, even though she did think it was sad that she was keeping so many people at bay in her last moments (however long that would be) of being alive. She just hoped for Rinaa's sake and Jay's that she didn't want to die alone somewhere and not with anyone by her side. She couldn't understand just how lovely this way of living was for Rinaa. Yet she didn't want to push her luck on asking about it either. So she kept quiet on her thoughts.

Fia followed Rinaa the route back to the apartment, via this new route Rinaa had chosen to go back to be able to stop off at what Fia would know as a chippy. The smell of grease and oil was powerful to Fia, remembering all of the chippies in London. She passed on the food, as the oil smell put her off mostly. She was always like that, as much as she loved junk food she always then felt she'd have to go through a heavy workout to burn it off.

Even before she been bitten, Rina would have managed to burn up most of the food, simply by the sheer volume of walking she did on a given day. She walked almost everywhere, and practical work on the mechanics bay was like weightlifting with a bit of cardio. But even then, she'd train daily at something and, like everybody else, the roof was her chosen place to do this. She wasn't originally going to go for chips, but when she'd smelt the familiar oil and salt, she mentally went "Ah fuck this shit, you only live once, and for a short time. Might as well make it worth it. If that means stuffing my face with chips, then so be it."

So she'd bought the chips, and was thoroughly savouring them. Everything she ate something the thought of "this could be the last time I ever eat this" flooded through her mind. She pushed that thought, no need to go down that depressing rabbit hole. The route home took them close to the forge, Rinaa knew Cal wasn't working there having looked at the work rotas on the onboard back at the apartment. But judging by the chimney smoke and the sounds reverberating somebody was inside. Dan more than likely, she didn't think there were any underlings being trained up, but she could be wrong. She pointed it out to Fia as they walked past. "That's Dan's forge over there. It's a cool place, espescially when you have an interest in the trade. Plus a great night time view of the rings from the roof." It was clear Fia hadn't been to Attil before, so somebody might as well tell her where some of the important places are.

Last edited:
Fia continued the all back to the apartment with Rinaa, enjoying seeing Attil for the first time. Like her parents, she found it an amazing place and if she had half the chance without getting I trouble, she'd have gone exploring on her own, even if it risked getting lost. She looked over at the forge seeing that someone was working in there, but she remembered Rinaa saying Cal was doing her other job today. It was still nice to see where her brother's blood sister worked and grew up.

"Awesome, heard stories about it but it's nice to see it" Fia replied, remembering being told as best as possible stories about that's where Cal worked a lot of the time and it was the sword's location that hurt Elliott. The basic information just so she could know about Cal a bit better and such. "I can imagine the view being insane at night" she added.

Rinaa also knew that the sword was concealed under the flagstones. She even knew the exact spot. When she was younger, she hadn't wanted to see it, the emotional connection she indirectly had to the blade meant it was too much for her. But as she'd grown older, Rinaa had become more open to the idea of seeing it. But it was around that time that the incident that caused her fear fire occurred. She hadn't stepped foot in the forge since that day, even when not in use the reminder of fire was too much. So she'd hang out on the roof instead, which would always be warmed by the flames inside. Heat without fire. And Rinaa knew that neither Dan nor Cal liked to touch the blade, and she wasn't willing to put them through that just so she could see it.

"I used to hang out in there, Cal was trying to get me interested in learning to forge, but I was too young and not fireproof, so that never happened." Rinaa cast a wary eye over at the building before continuing her way back to the apartment. She balled up the now empty chip bag and tossed it into a nearby bin.

Fia listened to what Rinaa said and wondered if the forge had anything to do with her fear of fire or not. It was just from the girls' body language and aide glance she gave it that made Fia wonder. She didn't of course ask about it as she knew asking about one's fears just didn't go too well and brought up feelings someone would rather not feel. She k we of a few people's fears, and she kept them all to herself, swearing that she would never speak about them unless they brought up by that person in question.

"Which is fair enough, it's not for everyone. Like everything in life" she replied, and she left it at that. It was in Rinaa's court how she would take Fia's comment, and that in Fia's mind was the best course of action to take.

(If I get slow for the next hour I'm getting my hair done at a salon so might not get to my phone easily)

Forging could have been something Rinaa had talent for, she liked working with her hands and had mastered a lot of hands on repair skills in her time. But now it was different, she could handle the fear of fire for welding or soldering, knowing that the flames were small enough to properly control, but forging worked on a different dimensions altogether. She merely shrugged at Fia's remark, it wasn't something she gave a lot of thought to, oil and grease were more her thing anyway. "Maybe I would have, it is the kind of hands on process I enjoy. But maybe I wouldn't, it's a totally different skillset.......It doesn't really matter at this stage anyway."

Rinaa didn't mention the fear of fire, it wasn't something she wanted to tell Fia. She turned and led the way back to the apartment block, which was a part of a complex of similar buildings. Once again she took the outer stairwell at speed, streaking up to the top floor, and waiting at the top.

(good to know, thanks!)

Fia didn't really know how to reply to what Rinaa said next. She didn't doubt she could have had it in her, from what she witnessed in the robotics facility. So with that all said, she just continued her walk in silence with Rinaa. As they got back to the apartment block, she just smirked at Rinaa's little over the top run to the appropriate floor. Sure, she could have done something just as fast, but she didn't see the point. So she just ran up in her own way, able to skip every other step in the process all the way up.

In her time she spent a lot of days going out for a run or doing some kind of work out on the roof so her stamina was great. Reaching Rinaa, she caught her breath. "Nice speed" she just commented.

Rinaa hadn't just bolted straight up she'd naturally used some of her parkour skills to get up faster. It was her thing to do on old metal staircases, particularly tall ones. With Fia at the top, she pushed through the door and into the corridor. "I've had practice" was all she said, not even looking behind to see if Fia was following her inside. She pulled out the spare apartment key from her pocket, swinging it around her finger. Rinaa had her own key to Cal's apartment, along with Chas's house, the forge, A.J's place, and the flat that Jay crashed in when she was on Earth. But she'd left them back in her own time, one less thing to worry about.

She unlocked the door, pushing the door slightly with her shoulder, it had a notorious habit of sticking. Little had changed since she had left, bar the absence of Cal and Dan. John was still reading, and with her call now finished Cliff had dug out the rest of the series, a mix of Elliott's old copies and the copies she and Cal had bought later. Cliff was working on her laptop at the main table, while Jay and Chas had decided that a game of backgammon was the way to go. Both had learned to play it, but could never find a suitable partner. They were concentrating intensely on the game, but turned to see Rinaa and Fia returning. Rinaa noticed the title of the books and smirked slightly. "Raxi Stayos huh? Why doesn't that surprise me." She remarked.

Fia followed Rinaa into the corridor, just shrugging her shoulders at the reply she got given. When Rinaa opened the door, she walked in with Rinaa and noticed how the group were. She gave Rinaa a simple nod to thank her for bringing her back, just before she commented on the series of books that were laid out everywhere. She looked down at what Kay was reading and smiled. "Throne of Glass series huh?" She commented. "Yeah, one series I'm in love with. I can't count how many times I've read the first book" Kay replied. "Pretty sure in my time it's near the 50 mark if not more. I don't know how those books are still in one piece" Fia replied with a smirk.

"Doesn't surprise me. There's something a badass Fae assassin that just draws me in" Kay commented back with a smile, turning the page to the third installment of the series that she was currently reading, which ironically was called Heir of Fire.

The two had managed not to murder each other it seemed, which was a relief to all parties. It shouldn't have surprised John that Rinaa would know the series, considering Jay, Cal, Cliff and Dan all read and enjoyed them, but somehow it did. "Yup, nitty, gritty, dark and dystopia, whats not to like?" It didn't take a genius to figure that some (if not most) of the aspects of John's life could be found in the few book series he'd re-read. Rinaa nodded in agreement at that statement, it was right up her alley too. "You read them too?" "Yeah, I do, they're quite something, espescially the plot twists and the fact that said main character has to be dragged kicking and screaming towards anything vaguely approaching character development."

The description sounded scarily like it could be applied to John, Jay or Rinaa herself, prompting a smirk from Chas. "Sounds kind of familiar to me." John rolled his eyes before turning his attention to the teenager leaning over the back of the couch. "Movie night later, we're watching the movies of at least the first book, you in?" What appeared on Rinaa's face was the closest thing so far they'd seen to a proper smile. "Hells yes, complex badass women with robot arms are so far up my alley, it's ridiculous. They got her perfect, espescially the costumes. Bloody pain in the arse to replicate for copslay, but so worth it."

Kay let John chat to Rinaa about the series he was reading, whilst she was chatting with Fia about her own book. Though it didn't take long for Kay to stop talking and just finish up the chapter she was half way through, when the two teens walked in. Whilst Kay was reading, Fia was aware of the conversation being had between John, Chas and Rinaa. She too thought it sounded uncannily similar to John's life. She would have piped up with 'chas has a valid point' but the chatter just continued before she could.

Kay soon out her photo back in her place when she finished the chapter and went to close the book, when Fia turned around and grabbed the photo, smiling. Kay went to protest but I stead just let Fia look at it of her and Sam posing wearing hats. It was so difficult for Fia to not say out loud 'aunt sam' as she wanted the reunion to be a surprise for Kay. "That's some hat" Fia commented instead, pointing at the oversized one Kay was wearing. "I know..Sam made me put it on" Kay replied, taking the photo back.

John raised an eyebrow at Rinaa's offhand remark. She'd clearly spoken from experience, and this was something he hadn't expected her to come out with. At John's raised eyebrow Rinaa just shrugged "I dabbled in a lot of things, some successfully, some with pretty awful screw ups. I would try anything once, just to see. I inherited the adrenaline junkie bit in case you were wondering." The remark was directed at Jay. "In this case I didn't really expect it to be my kinda scene. Sure, I can quote a fuck ton of movies, but a massive convention if fans, didn't think its be my style. But who in their right mind says no to a trip to California on the governments money?"

"Now that's a story I gotta hear." Jay leaned back on her chair, very interested in what Rinaa was saying. "The lab travel budget is paid for by government funding. There is a partner lab in Cali and they wanted to do an exchange the same week as SDCC, so us interns and junior lab people made the decision to go to both. And the government paid for out flights and accommodation, so win-win." The idea of so blatantly ripping the government off made both John and Jay smirk broadly and laugh. "Well bloody Hells that's quite the ballsy move." "Now that's how you do it with style."

Last edited:
As the conversation went on, Kay and Fia both turned their attention from Kay's photo to what Rinaa was saying to John and Jay. The idea that cosplay was even still a thing in Rinaa's time was in some ways surprising and impressive to Kay. Mostly that it still went on strong and was popular. She hadn't done it herself, but had heard of it and the small Seattle conventions that went on before she moved back to the UK. Then there was of course the big London convention scene that always had posters advertising various events around the underground.

She also had to agree with John about it being a ballsy move to rip off the government in quite that way. She wasn't sure if she would be happy about that or disappointed if Rinaa was her kid, but clearly Jay was impressed by it. Fia just wasn't surprised at all as it seemed like something the Leah she knew could have done but wasn't sure if she actually would or not. Given half the chance, Fia would have attempted something like that in a heartbeat.

It wouldn't be advised by any parenting manual to be proud of your kid for doing something so reckless. But Jay was far from a typical parent, she encouraged rule mending and system manipulation when necessary, so Jay was both proud and impressed. Even if it hadn't been her idea, it was still the kind of thing Jay herself would have done. And nobody got hurt in the process, so to be totally honest she couldn't see what the problem was. "Which government paid?" Chas asked. "The Americans, it's not like they'd miss a couple of hundred dollars anyway. They still spend far too much on their nucleur arsenal, and nowhere near enough on the actual important stuff." "That's alright then" Chas had no problems with ripping off the Americans, and he wasn't the greatest fan of the British government either. "Wankers probably deserved it too."

"I'm not gonna get into a political debate" she pulled a face knowing exactly what John and Chas could be like when talking about politics. John was of the opinion of 'they are all lying arseholes who can only think of their own paycheck' where as Chas was more for looking at evidence before making a call. "But they totally did." She nodded, before heading over to the main table, and began sorting through the pile of textbooks and notebooks, figuring out what was needed. The books had been acquired second hand from wherever she could find them, but they were still in good nick.

Kay kept listening to the conversation and although she did agree the American politics were completely messed up and backwards on so many levels, she decided to keep quiet. Having become an American citizen since the age of 9, politics was something that was always spoken about, and it was something she hates greatly. She had her views, which were a mixture of both John's and Chas' opinions, but she kept silent for her own sanity.

She also wasnt at all surprised that the American government had their priorities backwards still with spendings. She had also grown up in a country where you were judged for your political views, something she didn't agree with one bit. So needless to say the topic of politics could make her feel slightly uncomfortable. Having Rinaa say she wasn't getting into a politics debate made Kay very thankful. Instead of talking, she just picked up her mug of tea which she had made another of, only a few minutes before the teenagers came back in. She also grabbed a biscuit to dunk into it and eat.

Jay and Rinaa exchanged some fast paced words in Jay's native tongue, it wasn't one that Cal or Cliff knew, which was partially why they were using it. The topic was mundane, just what each of them had been up too, a reassurance that she and Fia hadn't tried to kill each other and what Rinaa was going to do for the rest of the day. She'd already been informed about when Elliott would be broken out and promised to be back as soon as her classes allowed, even if it meant running the whole way back with a stupidly heavy backpack. Bag packed she slung it over her shoulders and made for the door. "Try not to need me while I'm gone." she remarked as she left, shutting the door behind her.

With Rinaa gone silence feel for a few moments, as if waiting until she was out of earshot. "It's official, I don't understand that teenager at all." John remarked with a sigh. Jay could only agree "Same here, and it's probably not worth trying to, we have no idea just what she's going through, or how different this all is." Jay was feeling the need for a stiff drink to numb her braincells for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back