Increasing post length and becoming a better RPer

Naruyashan

Reality's Janitor
While I have experience RPing, I am not even close to the level I wish to be at. Thus, I ask: Do any have advice on how to increase one's post length/description without it becoming ranting for the sake of increasing the number of words? Also, do any have advice regarding becoming a better RPer in general? I, myself, typically write a good paragraph, but no more. Can anyone offer their assistance?

A good way to increase size length would probably be reading a good book, which can increase your vocabulary and your creative boundaries when writing.

Also, you can start slowly trying to detail what you do. Don't leave it at your characters just doing something, detail how they did and why. I have a friend who once made an entire post about her character deciding on which chair to sit down in.

The only advice I can give on the being a better Roleplayer thing is respecting the other Rpers. We're all here to have fun, and as long as you make sure you don't God-Mod, or something, you are doing a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be just me, but my suggestion to becoming a better role-player is action, action, action. If it doesn't add to the story, please don't write about it. Your character's tongue itches? PLEASE DON'T TELL US. I cannot tell you how many posts I've seen over-describe things only to have the character move one step or sneeze! Do not do it! (Some people find that amusing, so it's really up to how you feel about that.) I would suggest a mix of 60 action (driving)/40 description(static). I personally prefer 70 action/30 description, but again, that's just me. Find what works for you.

As for increasing post length, it kind of ties in to what I said before. It's good you recognize that it wouldn't be good to increase post length, just to make your stuff look longer. You have good head on your shoulders! :bigsmile: True writing is not a show-off competition. So make sure you want to write longer because it's yourself wanting to; not because you feel like proving how good you are or showing other people you're not inferior to them and their essay posts. In writing, content beats length every single time. Trust me, long-winding things look nice, fancy, and sophisticated, I'll admit, but please look beyond that. If nothing is being done besides some very limber verbal gymnastics, it's nothing to be envious of.

Now! Damaged glasses is somewhat right. Reading is a good way to give you more tools to work with. However, the ability to make longer and more meaningful posts, comes from experiences in life. Reading can only teach you the techniques of how to express what's on your mind. It doesn't give you material to work with, unless you're fine with mirroring other people's work.

1. Take some time out to slow down and be mindful of what you're doing. Whether you're baking a cake, mowing a lawn, or listening to music, you'll start to notice things. How you feel while doing something, what it makes you think, how it affects your body. (This will come in handy, promise.)
  2. Talk to people. Or if you're in introvert, at least try to understand where they're coming from, and how what you think is different from what they think.
  3. Practice writing. Start a note-book to compile your thoughts. Begin writing a novel. Write a short little memoir of your life detailing what you've been through and how events through the week have affected you. And don't worry, every little thing counts. Even if you fell asleep for 12 hours straight, write about it!

After you do all of that (or the best you can), apply to a role-play. Make your character and take a deep breath! What you're going to want to do, is everything you've been doing in step 1,2, and 3, but in-character ^^. Voila. You'll have a good grasp on how your character thinks, talks, and reacts to certain situations. It will come easy and natural to you. You won't even recognize yourself afterwards. Believe it.

So. Sorry if this was a bit long and confusing. Hope I hit the points you wanted answered. I you want any clarification or a cliff-notes version xD , just say the word. Good luck Naru!

Last edited by a moderator:
Above all else, a good post should contain three things:

1: A response or acknowledgement of prior posts.

2: Your character's own reaction to the above, be it internal, external, or both.

3: A hook for other people to build their own posts off of, typically your character's own actions.

So long as you have those three things, everything else is secondary. The quantity of your text should not matter if you have sufficient quality of writing. If you can fit all three of those things in to a single paragraph and have it be coherent and eloquent, you're golden. Everything else will just be extra details.

Thank you for your informative advice, everyone! This has given me a lot to consider, and to learn from. I certainly appreciate the rather unexpectedly large level of support.

I've only been roleplaying for roughly 1.5 years and my advice to you is just think about your character. I have found it to be best if i think about if it's the natural thing for my character to do and whilst i do try to have a decent length post, there are times where paragraphs are not neccessar. However, interaction is key to being a good roleplayer. If you are just posting about your character and not interacting with anyone, it doesn't add anything apart from it being focused on your character.

Another thing is to avoid god modding. God modding is one of the worst things you can commit in an RP and from my experience on this site, i have unfortunately been godmodded by some players and DMs. But people do appericate it when you don't godmod and it is always best to double check with the DM to see what is suitable. For example, most RPs on here, have DMs that are more then happy for you to create and control NPCs. But it is sometimes best to check in case their RP requires no-one to control NPCs without permission.

Try to avoid being too active. Some roleplayers post 10-40 posts a day in a single RP and rarely, do they give time for people to respond. It is always worth considering others and giving them time to wait. A majority of RPs i have seen on here have either died or turned into small group RPs from big group RPs as a result of it. If you wait for people to reply, it shows that you are willing to wait and that you are interested in seeing what they do next.

Content. Always try to give other players something to work with. It's pointless posting if there is nothing the others can work with but try to post what you feel is natural instead of forcing it out. Forced posts can be notable and come off as unnatural.

I hope this helps you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back