• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In Blood and Love

Alexandra frowned, going over his words in her mind. She obeyed, telling herself that it was just a simple movement. It was just a simple movement. She stood as she was told and pivoted forwards, discovering that it did give her more momentum to push against his sword hand. A grin formed on her face. "That's brilliant, Barrin." she told him. "You're not a bad teacher."

Barrin shrugged once more. "I command a regiment," he said, "I had to get good at giving commands and seizing people up to see what they're like."

He drew his sword away from hers and let them both dip towards the ground. "I do recommend going to one of the specific trainers," he added. "They are trained to teach you; I can only give you pointers and I am, unfortunately I must say, unable to devote as much time as I would like to instructing you."

The Princess gave a small nod, "If you can point me in the right direction, I will talk to one of the trainers." she decided, running her free hand through her tousled hair. "Thank you for taking the time to help me today... I hope you derived some enjoyment from it?" she kicked against the dirt below her feet, shuffling against it. In spite of the armour, she looked more comfortable than she had in her dress, and the adrenaline had made her cheeks flush and her eyes brighten. The Princess was having fun.

Barrin gave Alexandra a reassuring smile. "It was an enjoyable experience," he said. He would often come out to the barracks to spar with his fellow soldiers, to train for some upcoming battle a thousand miles a way. "And the armor suits you. Perhaps if you were born here instead, you would make a knight at this point."

"The armour is comfortable." She smiled a little. "Though I'm certain that I weigh double what I did this morning..." Alexandra took a slow breath and played with the edge of the breastplate. "I like it. I feel powerful." She admitted.

Bethany approached awkwardly, "Princess, your quarters are set up. Perhaps you should change for the meal? Or... Perhaps that is not necessary here? Would you help us understand, Prince Barrin?"

"Whatever suits you," Barrin said. "I myself usually change before meals. It keeps the dirt off the food and my plate. Come, we should head back to the castle before my mother sends a manhunt for us."

He sheathed his sword once more. "We should put away your items in the armory."

Alexandra gave Bethany a small smile, nodding. Bethany walked away. "She was coming to rescue me if this encounter was too uncomfortable." She admitted. "It's part of her kindness to me..." She began to walk to the armory, and upon arriving, removed her armour carefully. "But I enjoyed it. I enjoy your company so far, Barrin."

There were a few patches of sweat on her tunic once the armour was off. She blushed and shook her head. "I've never felt less like a proper lady in my life."

"She seems a good friend," Barrin said, taking her armor and walking her back inside so he could place it with the other pieces, taking her sword and placing it back on the rack as well. "And do not fret. My youngest sister has never looked the proper lady. I'm fairly sure she cried the entire time our parents tried to put her in a dress because it would scrape across the ground and trip her up."

Alexandra laughed sincerely, "I've always been scolded for dragging my dresses in the dirt. It was an endless issue for me. I feel that your sister and I have much in common..." She adjusted her tunic and played with her hair to tidy it. "Seeing her made me think that perhaps I could find friends here, and have no shame in being more of myself... Tell me, how do you feel about women riding side saddle?"

Barrin offered Alexandra his elbow when he finished putting the things away.

He only hummed when she claimed that Galene and her might have similarities. For Barrin, he had yet to see many (Alexandra was more reserved than Galene, quieter, beaten down) but he could see that they both prized freedom and adventure over most.

"Side saddle?" Barrin asked, looking somewhat confused. "What is that?"

Alexandra slid her arm into his, daring to stand a little closer than before. "It's what women in my kingdom do when they ride horses. You ride with your legs on one side of the horse, so that no one can see up your dress." She explained. "It's impractical and I never quite mastered it. I always went too fast and fell off." She chuckled. "We weren't permitted to wear pants whilst riding. That would be inappropriate. A woman's legs are for her husband to see and no one else."

"You're going to have to explain what you considered improper back in your kingdom to me. Vanguard has a strong stomach for much," he joked. In a more serious tone he said, "Women have legs, as do men. What is the difference?"

Alexandra blushed, "it is thought that a woman's form should be largely hidden. Her waist can be displayed in her dress, but all else should be concealed by the shape of the dress. The full form of her body is for only her husband to see." She explained quietly. "It was also improper for women to speak out of turn, to laugh too loudly, and to think too independently of her father or husband." She stopped and leaned against a wall. "And if a woman dared to kiss a man before she were wed to him, she would shame her family."

Barrin was quiet. It was a strange thought, to him as he walked through the streets and watched women and men pass one another, calling out and adding to the din of the streets. He watched women in tunics and pants stand in front of stalls, shouting at anyone who would listen to come check their wares, women coated in sweat and filth from the fields exchanging coin and trade with men that stood in the pristine white robes of the scholars, women soldiers in heavy armor trotting the streets, heads held high. There were brothels elsewhere in the corners of Vanguard, where women and men and all those others waggled their hips and gave a sultry smile, offering room to anyone who wanted to enter.

"We have a tea," he said as they arrived at the castle, figuring it a good time to break the silence, "that prevents a woman from becoming pregnant if she fears that she be in danger of it. It is called bloodtea and many of the prostitutes use it around here."

"Tea..." Alexandra mused quietly. "A tea that... Wow." She smiled and leaned against a wall. "Since we're being so forward with one another, what is it like? Kissing? And uh, other stuff? Should I be. Nervous about it? I guess I'm more worried about kissing, for some reason."

The princess wasn't sure why she was asking, but if he was speaking about making sure people don't get pregnant, surely she could ask about kisses.

Barrin turned to raise an eyebrow at the princess. She was a lot more innocent than he expected. While their initial meeting had gone well, she also seemed to potentially be a handful. Being patient had been one of the traits Barrin sorely lacked as a child and while he had garnered more of it over his life, he was still not the best. In truth, he didn't blame Alexandra. She was new to the kingdom, new to their way of life. But still. It felt like he was speaking to a child, having to explain everything.

Perhaps one of his siblings would be willing to help. They had all grown up here, after all, and would probably be willing to show the princess around.

"Kissing?" he asked as they walked through the wooden doors. "Everything is relative, princess," he said. "Some people find it pleasant, some don't. Some know how to do it, some don't. It is all about learning and practice."

"What is?" Galene asked, popping up as soon as they had stepped through the threshold, eyes glittering.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself about," Barrin said quickly.

Alexandra turned bright red. She looked at the wall opposite to her and took a deep breath to try and regain her composure. "Most things are about learning and practice, Galene. In this case, my sword work and capacity to show affection are those in question. It seems I have much to learn before I'm a worthy partner for your brother."

"All you need to show affection is just say something," Galene said, raising an eyebrow and looking at them as if it was obvious. "It's not hard."

"Different sorts of affections," Barrin said tiredly.

"Then you say different things."

"I think mother is calling us to dinner," Barrin interjected, pulling Alexandra towards the dining room.

"But it's simple," Galene continued, following them. "You just say something or do something nice. That's what I do to you guys all the time."

"It's a different sort of affection," Barrin repeated.

"Nartai just told Auria."

"Different," Barrin said sternly, in a tone of voice that caused Galene to stop for just a second before picking up her pace, though she did not speak again.

The dining room was large and grand, with a rectangular table and piles of fresh steamed vegetables, glistening meats, and fresh soups. Galene sat down next to Naomi, who sat at one end of the table, Barrin sitting across from his younger sister. Already, most of the people had arrived, filling the air with conversation.

Alexandra stumbled slightly when Barrin pulled her, but quickly regained her composure. She sat down beside Barrin. The food was familiar to her, at least, and the conversation filling the room eased some her of own anxiety. The Princess resolved to ask less questions of the Prince, and to simply enjoy where she was and the new life she had been given. She would learn from experience.

Her thoughts raced with questions - mostly about who the people in the room were, but she didn't ask them. She listened instead, making connections between people by the words they spoke and the way they touched - or didn't touch. It was easy enough. It was almost fun. "Do you dance, Barrin?" she asked. It was one question she felt she could ask.

The dinner passed as it usually did, with chaos and confusion and wailing children alongside shouting ones. Galene yelled at Casimir and Casimir yelled at Galene and Nataxie yelled at both of them. Wonder fussed over Marceline who screeched at both Irene and Ivan who only cried in return. Naomi seemed to be the only one unaffected, eating quietly at the head of the table with little concern. Barrin was also trying to get in on the conversation, shouting and waving his fork at his siblings.

"Huh?" Barrin said, glancing at Alexandra as she finally spoke.

"Dance," Galene shouted before giving a short laugh. "Barrin's good at swords. He can't dance to save his life."

"Oh yeah," Barrin said before spearing a boiled potato and popping it into his mouth. "I suck at dancing."

Alexandra laughed. The chaos had relaxed her. She nodded, "good to know." She told him, then returned to a conversation that she had been part of. She was telling a story about her homeland, and one of the balls that had once occurred there. "The nobles were not pleased at all, but the children were having so much fun - they couldn't follow the steps, they didn't know how to keep a beat, but oh, they were happy."

She was animated when she wasn't trying to impress Barrin. Her hands moved as she spoke and she bantered easily. It frustrated her that she didn't know how to be that version of herself with Barrin, because she was certain he would prefer that she simply relax. "The ball ended late, and the next morning we all slept late to recover." she finished. "It was one of the best nights of my childhood, actually."

Last edited by a moderator:
Naomi had been listening attentively to Alexandra, eyea focused on the young woman. Galene seemed to be barely paying attention, instead focusing on fighting with one of her siblings over the merits of keeping life stock indoors as opposed to outdoors.

"We don't have many celebrations here," Naomi said when Alexandra was finished. "Perhaps at a wedding or during a crowning ceremony. Ostentatious in my opinion. No one can dance and it certaintly won't help us in any situation."

"A show, mother," Wonder said. "A way to show the common folk that something exciting is happening."

"Ridiculous," Naomi said, cutting a piece of meat carefully. "The common folk have enough excitment among themselves."

"We don't have anyone fancy to invite anyways," Galene piped up. "No one around here would want to come to us to have a celebration either."

Naomi's knife made a sharp sound as it cut through the piece and hit the plate. There was a brief moment of silence. Galene put a piece of something in her mouth in the lapse, her eyes glancing around.

"Well, we can have one for Alexandra," Naomi said tartly. "Perhaps invite her family."

"Common folk..." Alexandra mused quietly, more to herself than to anyone else. "I'm not sure my family would attend, sadly." she gave Naomi a small smile. "They made it clear upon my departure that they were entrusting me into your care and mercy, and that they had too much to do to travel to a marriage they helped arrange." she finished her dinner and pushed the plate away carefully. "I'm content without dancing - though, I may be caught dancing in the privacy of my quarters."

Naomi gave Alexandra a strained smile as the other people around the table glanced at one another. There was a strange tension to the air now.

For Vanguard, the stranger was still a stranger. Their tactics and ways were foreign and archaic, the reminents of a time when swords made heads roll and stained the ground with blood as families tore themselves apart in their desperate scramble for power.

It was willful ignorance, on their part, to act like the kingdoms around were fine. To instill themselves and their wants and ways would be as costly as their own changes.

Alexandra gulped and looked down at the table in front of her. She didn't know what to do to rescue the situation and she was certain that more words would not be the solution. The Princess gripped her knees under the table, her cheeks pale white as she felt the weight of what she had said. She should have known better than to loosen her tongue.

Vanguard, it seemed, had its own customs that would bind her, and she would have to learn them and understand them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back