• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In Blood and Love

@tamaracorine

The sun was warm and hovering in the mid-morning sky, glowing boldly down at everyone else. Barrin gazed up at it, squinting through his fingers as he shaded most of the glare from his eyes. His betrothed was to arrive that day; when, he couldn't quite remembered. He had decided to go to the barracks, to see his regiment and go through some practice swings. It had not alleviated the knot in his stomach like he had hoped but it had calmed his nerves. He breathed in slowly through his nose and walked towards the towering castle ahead of him, glistening in black marble. The great oak doors greeted him and he could hear the churning of gears as the metal parts that controlled it turned and opened them for him. His sword clinked against his armor as he walked inside, past the plush carpets and towards the throne room where his mother would be waiting.

The woman that sat in the golden throne gazed at him as he entered, a thin golden band encircling her forehead as she gazed upon Barrin as he entered. Her face was not yet worn by time or war, having somehow avoided both in her aging. She stood slowly, gathering the skirt around her, made of fine cloth and covered in fanciful designs. She made her way towards him, eyes focused on his face before pausing.

"You like handsome," she said and Barrin felt a corner of his mouth lift.

"As you are supposed to say, mother," he replied as she rested her hands on his shoulder, examining his face for any blemishes. He had to look presentable, after all. She took his hands into her own and stepped back, examining his armor to see if there were any chinks or smudges. Satisfied, she offered him her elbow and he took it.

"I wouldn't force you to do this if you didn't have to," the queen told him, her heels clicking against the stone floor. "I would give you the same path as your sister and brother, allow you to choose your own partner in marriage."

"I know," Barrin said, walking beside her. "But that is not the way they want it."

"No," Naomi agreed, her voice taunt, "it is not. You know why, correct?"

Barrin nodded stiffly. The images of burning villages, of roaring barbarians trampling over fields, setting fire to the crops, still seared in the minds of many. Vanguard had not always been peaceful or prosperous, ruled instead with an iron fist and never bowing to any greater power, not even the gods that the other kingdoms had put forth. They had never been conquered, never defeated, and they reigned over their land absolutely. To the other kingdoms, it was a threat.

A peace treaty or a trade agreement would not sate them now. They needed blood, either flowing in the streets or joined and in another being, a child to cement a union. Naomi had labored over offers and chosen one that she claimed would be the most beneficial before kissing him on the forehead and promising him that there would be happiness.

Even if it was an empty promise.

He did not feel angry; he had no right to be. He was a prince and he was allowed to fight. It was a miracle he had not been shipped away, married to some far-off lord or lady and instead landed a princess that would come to his home. Barrin knew some called for his younger siblings, wanting the body of Vanguard as a hostage in their own kingdom rather than sending one of their own into a land they knew little about and turned their noses to. They did not respect a woman in charge after all, as Barrin remembered how hard Naomi always had to fight.

They made it to the great oak doors again, opening once more so that they may see a carriage, glittering in the sunlight, bringing him his bride.

And an end to the Vanguardian ways.

He took in a breath and steeled himself as his mother gripped his arm. Footsteps told him that his father was arriving and stood on the other side of his mother, tall and sturdy, eyes focused ahead. Elsewhere, he was sure that his siblings were moving about, though they would watch too with their eyes pried and ready to judge the one that would walk through the doors, so different to them in tradition and appearance.

"Smile," Naomi whispered.

"Or simply don't grimace," his father suggested instead.

Alexandra had travelled nine days. Nine long day under guard by soldiers from her own home, Enmorion, and some from Vanguard. She sat in a carriage, a luxurious prison full of taffeta dresses, needles for craft, books about etiquette and her own servant, Bethany, who was of noble birth and well trained in matters of court. Bethany's parents had been caught stealing and fell into shame, but Bethany remained useful to the King, and so she retained her status.

As they arrived in Vanguard the soldiers multiplied around them, and loud gasps could be heard. The arrival of the Prince's bride was anticipated greatly. For Alexandra, it was simply dreaded. The Princess was suddenly caught in a flurry of movement as Bethany tightened her corset so that her waist was accentuated, and tidied her hair so that it looked like she had brushed it in the last nine days (which, she hadn't).

"Okay, Ally." Bethany smiled at her. "Remember, bow as soon as you enter the room. Don't make eye contact with the Prince or his parents, and simply say 'My Lord'. Do not lift your head until told, and when you do, do your best to smile even a little." she instructed gently.

Alexandra nodded weakly, "Got it. Speak no evil, see no evil, right?" she smirked. It had been a long nine days but this meeting mattered. She would not do anything to ruin it.

Alexandra was helped from the carriage by one of her own soldiers, and began the walk up the stairs with Bethany two steps behind her and soldiers all around her. She took one last look at Bethany before a soldier pushed the door open.

The Princess stole one glance at the Prince, only just avoiding eye contact, before she bowed low as she had been instructed, only one step inside the door. "My Lord." she said loud enough for him to hear. Her voice shook slightly as the reality hit her - she was in a new kingdom, about to enter into a new family, and she would be expected to share a bed with a man who she had to bow to at first meeting. This could not go well.

The princess had been anticipated for some time, a foreigner that was to live alongside the royal family that had not been touched by foreign influence for years and years and years, as far back as the stories and history told. The people craned their necks, trying to see this new person like children trying to see a new toy. They rose on the balls of their feet, craning their next to see who it was, what she might look like. The Vanguardian soldiers guarding her simply smiled and waved at the civilians, used to their actions and attitudes. It was the new soldiers that seemed on edge, gripping their swords tighter as if prepared to strike the second someone burst forth.

The Vanguardian soldiers were there to protect the people from that.

As she entered, more people rushed forward, clad in dusty wool or flowing white gowns that marked them as well read and scholars. They all mingled together, pushing forward to see the new princess, eager murmurs rippling through the crowd. Some wore the markings of merchants with bright colors while others were hunters and farmers, their furs tight around their necks or their wares still strapped to their backs. It seemed everyone had come out to see, to touch a piece of history. It was making the Enmorion guards agitated.

Naomi untangled her arm from her son and approached the princess as Barrin gave her a modest bow. "Rise," Naomi said kindly, offering her hands to the princess to hold. "There is no need for such formalities. We are to be family."

Barrin straightened himself out, his armor clinking quietly and turned to his father, eyebrow raised. He knew things were very different in Enmorion, but he was not aware how different or what their manners were like. Given that Vanguard only had one royal family ever present, the court rules were rather lax. Naomi was to be respected at all times and the others were to listen to one another. That was it, no fancy rituals or bowing or words exchanged.

Alexandra wanted nothing but to turn and flee from this place. Her feet shuffled as she lifted herself up and joined her hand with the Queen's. The room seemed to grow quieter as people could look properly at the Princess. The Princess, however, let her eyes drift to the Prince who would be her husband.

Barrin stood tall and handsome, looking just like Alexandra was told a Prince should. She couldn't help but wonder about what he was truly like. Her brother's also appeared stoic in public, but behind closed doors they bickered and bantered like any other boy she had known. It was a strange thing, to marry someone you had only just met. This would be her life. She would have to learn to live with him, and deep down she hoped that she could learn to love him - or at least like him.

Behind Alexandra, Bethany watched carefully as events unfolded. The crowd was pressing in. Alexandra was trying her best to not squeeze the Queen's hand too hard that she would reveal her fear. It was as she had predicted, but that did not make it more comfortable for her.

"We meet at last, My Lord." Alexandra spoke with a shaky smile as she stood before her husband-to-be. "Your soldiers described you perfectly, it would seem." she let her eyes meander to one of his visible scars, "I do hope you will tell me the stories of your scars. I love stories." she told him, some of her formality slipping. She realised a moment later and bit her lip, looking away from him and towards the floor. Behind her, Bethany grimaced and shook her head slightly.

Barrin glanced over at his father, raising an eyebrow, who only frowned sharply back at him, inclining his head, also bound by a golden band, towards his fiance. Even though he might not enjoy the formalities involved in court life, she was clearly versed in them and would have to deal with it.

He felt slightly taken aback when she commented on his scars, reaching a hand to touch one on his right cheek that his brother had given him when they had been playing with real swords instead of wooden ones when they were younger and he had managed to get himself nicked. His father had been furious and his brother in near hysterics, even though it was a minor cut and Barrin brushed it off like the other ones he got.

"You look lovely as well," he said blandly, struggling for something to say. "I'm afraid not all of them have interesting stories," he said, not unkindly. "A few are the remnants of youth and trouble." He could almost imagine his older siblings shaking their heads at him and his lack of formalities.

"Come inside," Naomi said, pulling the princess inwards, glancing at the other woman that stood behind, by the carriage and the crowd. "I see you've brought a friend along. What's her name?"

Before any further introductions could be made, there was the sound of something sliding down the railing of the stairs and the hiss of someone commanding the person who had done so back. Barrin felt himself smile as he turned around to see his youngest sister land on the ground in a pile of cotton before pulling herself up. She wore a simple tunic and pants, clearly not dressed for any sophisticated occasion. Their father narrowed his eyes, clearly disapproving. If they were to impress their guests, Galene would have to dress better.

Then again, if Alexandra was to remain with them, she would have to grow used to Galene's antics.

"Hi," the youngest child said, running forward before anyone could stop her, much less the older girl pelting down the stairs to constrain her. "It's nice to finally meet you." She managed to come up next to Barrin and peer eagerly at the newcomer, her strange colored eyes glistening.

Alexandra was grateful for the Prince's own slip of decorum. She was genuinely interested in his stories. It was said in her kingdom that stories were the fabric of all that was and ever would be, and though Alexandra held reading in low regard, she did love to hear people tell their stories. She would make sure to hear some as soon as she could.

She followed the Queen dutifully, "That is Bethany. She is a childhood friend, sent by my father to make sure I arrived well and had companionship on the journey." she explained. "I do hope her presence is welcome..."

The little girl, who Alexandra guessed would be one of Barrin's siblings, was a relief. She glanced down at her. "You must be..." she thought for several moments, "Princess Galene." she decided. "It's nice to meet you too." her voice was more relaxed immediately. She saw something of herself in Galene, and it gave her hope that she could possibly fit. "Tell me, Princess, what are the best rails for sliding down in this kingdom?" she whispered with a mischevious smile.

"And you're Alexandra," Galene said proudly, glancing at her father with a gleeful smile. He gave her a soft one in return, knowing that she was looking for approval from him that she had gotten the name right. While he would have preferred if she had gathered her manners, there was no reason to scold her now, in front of guests. Besides, the new princess had relaxed, something that would be key to the arrangement. If it required a slightly rebellious child to make her feel at home, so be it.

"I'll tell you later," Galene said, seizing Alexandra's hands, "when no one's around to hear about it."

"Bethany is very well welcomed," Naomi interjected as Galene grinned toothily, giving her daughter a stern look. "My son can show you where you'll be staying for the time being. I hope you do not mind sharing a room with Bethany until we can find another arrangement?"

"There's more people?" Galene asked, dropping Alexandra's hands and peering around the woman before waving at the other woman. "Hello," she called over just as another person descended the stairs. Galene glanced over at the sound of feet hitting the cobblestone and gave a little squeak before running behind her brother's legs, peering out from behind them in faux fright at her older sister.

Nataxie was an imposing individual, even clad in fanciful clothing. She was shorter than some of her siblings, yes, but she had a wider set of hips and a bust. While she was not plump, she was certainty not thin or lean and could very easily fill out a suit of armor. Even so, she had the same heart-shaped face as most of her siblings.

"Galene," Nataxie hissed, frowning at the little girl who didn't seem to take anything seriously.

"Calm down," Galene said, stepping out from behind her brother and smiling brightly, obviously unperturbed. "Nothing's happened since you were at the top of the stairs that'll need cleaning up."

Bethany waved back at Galene, thinking exactly as Alexandra did - that the little princess was just like Alexandra had once been. Alexandra glanced back at her friend, about to smile when another entered the room. She thought about who it could be and decided that it must be Nataxie. A soldier had talked her through the entire royal family and 'intimidating' was the word used to describe Nataxie.

Alexandra tensed as quickly as she had relaxed. She inhaled slowly, her posture straightening as she did. "I am content to share with Bethany as long as you need, Your Highness." she told the queen. She wanted nothing more than to hide away with Bethany, or disappear into the gardens with Galene. The Prince would make good company someday, she imagined, but they would have to get through some awkwardness first.

The Princess simply wanted to get along with him. To share a bed with someone you hated was to live a fearful life, especially as a woman in a foreign court. She needed to get along with him - her life depended upon it. "I would also appreciate some time with the Prince, if you would permit me such a thing, Your Highness..."

Barrin blinked and reared back on the ankles of his feet for a second when Alexandra requested some time with him. While he was not opposed to it and knew that they would have to get along with one another eventually, he was still surprised that she would request it so... politely. He was sure his mother already had a list of actions that he was to do before they got married, a list that more than likely contained sharing a bed and room, something he did not look forward to not just because he was a roller.

"Of course," Naomi said smoothly, her own face impassive and unmoving, seemingly unswayed by the question. "A marriage must have some level of understanding between the two individuals. Perhaps we can start small. Barrin can show you up to your room and help you get used to the castle for today."

"I can help," Galene added, peering back at her mother.

"If the princess wants you to," Naomi said patiently, glancing over at Alexandra. The youngest girl may have been childish but she was also crafty in her own ways, gears turning in her head at all times. She had her own little tricks to wheedle information out of others, though she preferred to see it all herself.

The change in the Prince's body language was not lost on Alexandra. She flinched slightly. "That would be more than sufficient, Your Highness." she responded. "And Princess Galene would be more than welcome, if her brother also consents to her company." she added, remembering an instruction from her mother.

'You should never take power from your husband, Ally.' she had coached quietly. 'Even in small ways. You must be his supporter, not his superior.' Alexandra had resented the remark, but she wasn't going to take any risks. Bethany had been in the room for that conversation, and had placed a hand on Alexandra's shoulder to calm her.

"Is there anything else you require of me today, Your Highnesses?" she asked, glancing between the Prince and Queen. "I would not want to put your plans asunder, so please, whatever you need of me, I will do my very best to oblige."

"I doubt I have a say in whether or not Galene comes along or not," Barrin said, recovering quickly and glancing down at his younger sister with a smile, who only grinned back. "She does what she wants when she wants."

"There is nothing more that I require of you, Alexandra," Naomi said, "and please, there is truly no need for formalities. Family is family, even if it is future family and you should feel free to act as you wish."

"I do," Galene piped up and as if to prove her point, darted forward towards the carriage without another glance back, a solider already opening the door for the excitable princess. "Besides," Galene added, turning around to look at the newcomer, "you're your own person, aren't you?"

"I do require that you come down to meals on time," Naomi said, waiting until Galene had disappeared into the carriage to get something, even though soldiers from Enmorion were already bringing items out, eyeing the foreign girl with some reserved suspicion. "It is an important part of the day where we may be able to meet and catch up with one another that we otherwise rarely have."

"And for the younger ones of us to annoy each other," Galene added, coming out of the carriage with a book clutched in hand.

Alexandra raised an eyebrow at Galene's question. She so desperately wanted to respond, to explain that she had decided to be the one to come to this land - that it was her choice to enter into this marriage for the sake of her kingdom, that her father saw it as a sign of her bravery, that she was definitely her own person and that over time they would see that.

Instead, she held her tongue.

Her mother would have been proud.

"Of course, I will be at meals on time." she responded, "Thank you for inviting me so readily into your family." she turned her attention back to Barrin, her eyes drifting over the scar on his cheek and her mind drifting for just a moment to what he looked like without armour. She wondered if his muscles were as shaped as the armour suggested. "Would you show me around, Prince Barrin?" she asked, a blush forming in her cheeks.

Barrin offered a tight-lipped smile as Galene herself remained silent, her energy calmed for a moment. Her eyes went to the princess and hovered for a second over her back before going back to her brother, a single eyebrow rising as if goading him to do something, preferably not stupid.

"I'll be happy to," Barrin said, his voice calm. "Ah, perhaps we should stop by your room first, to have all your things put away?"

Galene interjected, as if suspecting the response wasn't adequate. "We'll have an opportunity to see the gardens afterwards, won't we?"

"I'm sure," Barrin responded.

Alexandra could feel the weight of silence. She so hated silence. Galene, once more, proved to be the relief. "That would be good. Both putting my things away, and the gardens." she agreed. Her eyes moved to her hands, as if uncertain what to do with them. She wished she was in riding pants and had pockets to slide them into, but the dress and tight corset offered no escape for her awkward hands.

The dress was maroon in colour, and was made to display her womanly curves and conceal the muscles and had developed in her shoulders from sparring with friends and soldiers alike. She wondered what the Prince would say when he saw her own scars, all cleverly concealed by hair that fell over her neck and sleeves on her arms.

Bethany moved forward as Alexandra gestured to her, and stood just behind the princess. "I will oversee the moving of your possessions, Princess." she told her courteously. "I will meet you in your quarters with the soldiers carrying them." she stepped back to the soldiers and made sure that everything was there, speaking quietly with some Enmorion men.

Alexandra gripped the skirt of her dress with her hands. "Shall we, My Lord?"

Barrin offered Alexandra his elbow dumbly, blinking. He had never courted anyone his entire life, though he had had several physical relationships, most of the time with other soldiers. He hadn't really thought of marriage, not until his mother had come to him and said that he couldn't, at least not wholly anymore. His older brother and sister knew how to smile and compliment and tuck flowers into hair or push a strand behind an ear. Barrin was the fighter, the one who swung a swords to disembowel or carve out a heart, not sing to it. It was perhaps only Galene who was as bad at courtship as Barrin, given her young age and her interest in wrestling with others more than offering them a hand to dance with.

"You should," Galene said, though she didn't move, titling her head curiously and squinting as if trying to discern something, though she didn't seem quite sure what it was.

"You don't have to call me 'my lord'," Barrin said, figuring that was as good a response as ever. "My name is Barrin."

"You ought to get familiar to it," Galene added, "you'll be calling it a lot."

Barrin nearly choked on the hidden innuendo but figured his younger sister, who was only blinking calmly, didn't understand it due to her young age.

Alexandra let go of her skirt and slid her arm into Barrin's. She was all too aware of the eyes on them, and the wistful sighs of some women. She glanced up at Barrin. "Barrin." she mumbled, as if testing how the word felt coming from her mouth. "Ba-" she cut herself off at Galene's words, nearly choking with laughter.

She was smiling as she tried to hold back a giggle. She could not giggle at innuendo whilst meeting her husband for the first time. This could not be her first impression. But it was. She let out a sincere laugh before containing herself. "This would be a good time to get out of the public eye." she whispered to Barrin, the blush that was still there deepening.

Barrin watched a cloud of confusion pass over his sister's face at Alexandra's actions, feeling the tips of his own ears heat. He turned his head when he heard her smile and cracked one of his own. Her laughter was quite pretty, he noted. He'd like to hear it more than the silence that seemed eager to settle between them both.

"What?" Galene asked, her nose scrunching up in confusion.

"I suppose this is the time to take our leave," Barrin said formally, deciding to ignore her sister's question, which she had already redirected to the woman Alexandra had brough with her, and led his fiance up the steps and towards her room.

"Mother planned for you to have your own room," Barrin explained, "and already has a few maids prepared to help you with settling in. Of course, it you would prefer that just Bethany, then that can be arranged. She figured that you would want some time apart from me to first get used to the castle before we were to share quarters." He nearly stumbled over the last part of the sentence but he quickly overcame it. There was no need to reveal his own discomfort at the prospect of spending the rest of his life with someone he barely knew.

Alexandra's arm relaxed in Barrin's when he smiled at her. She needed to see some sort of friendship between them, and a shared smile was enough to take away the awkwardness of this first touch. "I think I'll appreciate that." she admitted. "It would be nice to know more of you than your name and your lineage before we share a bed. I tried to convince your soldiers to share with me but they refused any information beyond what I already knew. Stubborn men, they are." she chuckled.

It was strange. The whole situation felt strange, like a dream she would wake up from. She had dreamt of this moment for the last several months and every time had a different outcome - some were passionate kisses, others were her head being cut off. She hoped that the reality was better than her nightmares. "Would it be too bold to ask if you have a hiding place in the castle? I always hid in the alcoves behind the throne room at home when I needed peace."

Barrin chuckled shortly himself. "My mother has ears everywhere," he explained, "and everything is heard by her in some way, shape, or form. I think my sister might have picked up on that trait; whatever trouble or gossip that may drift by on the lips of someone passing will find its way to her somehow. My soldiers tend to keep their mouths shut for fear of my mother hearing of some dastardly deed I had once done." He glanced down at Alexandra. "Not like she's heard them all already. I suppose soon enough, she'll be more open and willing to tell you embarrassing stories about my childhood. She seems to think it a rite of passage that everyone who joins the family must endure before they wed one of us.

"Speaking of such," he added, "it would be good for us to understand each other's interests. My mother claims that she chose this marriage because you would enjoy Vanguard's atmosphere, where things are a bit more free for women. Is that true?"

The expression that appeared on Alexandra's face was one of shock and excitement. She had been told nothing of Vanguard before she left home, only that it was vastly different to her own kingdom. The idea of a kingdom where women had more freedom was a mere myth to her and her heart was racing. She wanted to run to Bethany and ramble and blather about how she might be permitted to use swords publicly, or ride horses without being side saddle, or that she might not be inferior to her husband. She looked like a child who had just been given the best present to ever exist.

"I..." she stammered. "I, uh..." she bit her lip to try and stop herself from grinning, her eyes downcast. She inwardly berated herself for her inability to control her emotions. Her mother would be ashamed. "Y-Yes, My Lord." she whispered, her voice breaking ever so slightly as two tears tumbled down her cheeks in spite of her best effort.

Her mother would be very disappointed.

Barrin looked slightly confused at Alexandra's reaction. He had been told a few things about the kingdom of Enmorion, of how it was a "classical" kingdom who did not like Vanguard or its ways. He knew that it extended to women being treated unfairly, given their short, brusque messages to his mother, as if they didn't see her as a proper figure and instead had asked to speak with his father. His father instead deferred to his mother, who was the one with royal blood, the one who had truly inherited the throne and had plucked her father out of a crowd of suitors to rule beside her.

"I--" Barrin started when she stared at him and felt startled when she started to cry. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Did you, dear brother?" a man's voice asked and Barrin turned to see Nartai, his bookish brother appearing out of a room, quite possibly his own, carrying a small child in one arm. "I wouldn't doubt it."

"Shut up," Barrin snapped, forgetting that he had his future fiance by his arm. He had always had a rivalry with his brother and the two had never quite gotten along as children, though their parents had made an effort to reconcile their differences. These days, the insults were less barbed and there was more comfort and wisdom exchanged than sharp words.

"I would," Nartai said, smiling at his brother, "if I trusted you to speak well enough for all of us."

Barrin resisted the urge to stick his tongue out childishly at his brother, who would no doubt stick his back at him.

"This must be princess Alexandra," Nartai said, glancing at the woman by him. "My name is Nartai. I'm the older-- and nicer-- brother. Wouldn't say more handsome, Barrin draws in people like flies to honey. I bet half the--"

"Shut up," Barrin interjected again, feeling himself flush. Which he had had physical relations with plenty of the civilians that lived around the castle, he would rather his brother not tell that to his fiance before he had an opportunity to explain.

"Calm down," Nartai said as the child on his arm gurgled, reaching to seize a piece of Barrin's armor, grinning toothlessly at him, "I'm sure she'll be nothing but impressed."

His exaggerated wink sent Barrin rolling his eyes.

"It can't be any worse than what you said to send her to tears," Nartai added.

"I didn't say anything," Barrin protested. "I just said that mother thought that she would enjoy Vanguard's atmosphere so that was one of the reasons why she was chosen to be my wife."

"Oh of course that would upset her," Nartai said with exaggerated shock, turning to look at his child. "Wouldn't that, Ivan? Didn't your uncle say something incredibly stupid to our new guest?"

Ivan frowned at his father and Barrin counted it as a small victory, smiling at his nephew for refusing to agree with his father.

"Well," Nartai sniffed, turning away from his son, "I'm sure mother also chose Alexandra because she's a wonderful young lady, very beautiful and strong. You do look very beautiful and elegant, princess."

"You're married," Barrin deadpanned and Ivan laughed at that.

Alexandra wiped away her tears hastily as Nartai approached. She listened to their interaction, rather than speak. It was as though it could be her own family. She looked between the two men, choosing to not ask questions about their unspoken words. Though, she was sure it was to do with the Prince's past. She had been told that her virtue was her greatest asset, and in spite of her desire to rebel, she had never shaken off that virture which her mother held so dear.

"Thank you." she finally spoke, meeting Nartai's gaze. "It should be known that he did not say the wrong thing. I... I was told nothing of your kingdom before I arrived, only that it was different to my own, and to hear that there is more freedom for women here... I cannot think of a time when I've felt greater relief or joy, to be honest." Her hand gripped Barrin's arm a little tighter. She was nervous, and it seemed that her body had decided that his arm was a comfort.

Nartai smiled gently at the princess. "Well, I'm glad our home is more pleasant than you envisioned," Nartai said as Ivan gave a gleeful agreement. "I'm sure you two have important matters to get to. Don't let me hold you up."

"You are forever gracious," Barrin said sourly as Nartai stepped aside grandly, using his unoccupied hand to gesture that the hallway was now open for them to pass.

Barrin walked forward, glancing back at Alexandra. It was strange, to hear of a land where his sisters wouldn't be allowed to run free and where his mother would be kept to a room to bare children and sew. At least, that's what he had managed to gather from books he had managed to read about other kingdoms.

"Freedom is a gracious thing here," Barrin said. "I suppose always having it makes us immune to how precious it truly is. The standing army here is comprised of both men and women, equally as powerful. My younger sister, Nataxie, might have been a soldier if she did not love justice in the court so much. And my eldest sister will rule after my mother."

He glanced both ways before dipping his head to Alexandra. "I do hope you know, I haven't.. engaged with anyone else since my mother informed me of the arrangement. I don't intend to be unfaithful."

The fact that he was fairly sure his mother would geld him rested at the forefront of his mind, alongside the shame that would no doubt come with it. Marriage was sacred and even if this was an arrangement, to cheat on someone was a form of disrespect that few, if any, recovered from. To violate another's trust to thoroughly was a disgusting notion.

Alexandra gulped. "I... I had..." she met his gaze reluctantly. "I had assumed that you would be unfaithful, Barrin." she admitted, voice barely a whisper. "It is assumed that a prince will not be faithful to his wife, because she is a vessel to bear children, not for uh, pleasure." she turned bright red. "This kingdom will take some time for me to adjust to, I must confess." she bit her lip and released his arm so that she could run a hand through her hair, trying to calm her nerves by taming her hair.

"Are you pleased with the arrangement so far?" she asked him. "I... I do not often cry, I assure you. It was the shock."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back