I'm a little trapped.

Spudmuffin

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Warning: This post may get unorganized the further it goes. It's just a matter of getting thoughts out in whatever order they come. If you end up reading this and make it to the end....props. lol.

So I've found myself in a bit of a rut, or perhaps more of a hole...grave....crater.

Coming back from a hiatus can be difficult. I love writing, but this is proving to be damn near impossible.

When I had to leave, I was able to write until my hands couldn't take it anymore; Each post was easily 5+ paragraphs; they were so descriptive that I would get engulfed in that world - the most amazing fact of it being that I wouldn't repeat myself. I remember going back to those stories and reading them again and again, rediscovering details that made it seem like I was never apart of the original creation.

Writing for male characters has always been a challenge. Now it's a complete struggle, finding the inspiration takes way too much energy and thought. I made the decision to take on only playing females or attempting doubling until I get my groove back. However, its been super hard to find partners.

Having standards for myself that are too high has also been an obstacle. Again going back to how I used to be able to write forever. I really want to write like that again, but it's hard when there's not a whole lot to work with in order to advance the plot.

It's relieving to get this out. However, I'm starting to lose my train of thought the further I get. Perhaps that's what has been happening with rps. Maybe I'll have to go back to a grade school writing method: creating a web with main points, or maybe just listing them out and making sure that they get worked into the reply.

Either way....I'm gonna stop rambling. Maybe I'll come back at some point and edit this to include some more thoughts on the matter.

When I came back from my hiatus, I also found it shockingly more difficult to write long posts. I'm still struggling with that. I believe that we grow and change as people in shorter periods of time than we expect, and that's part of it. The other part is just getting rusty. You may want to try challenging yourself privately - do x paragraphs in y minutes. Building your foundation is more important than the content actually being good, because you can work on that later, so don't worry about that part.

On that note, please also remind yourself that a short post is not automatically not a good post. A good post reacts to the situation and gives other players something to react to while being clear and fun to read. (^.^)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back