• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

anne w.

blissfully insignificant
"The great North American school of magic was founded in the seventeenth century. It stands at the highest peak of Mount Greylock, where it is concealed from non-magic gaze by a variety of powerful enchantments, which sometimes manifest in a wreath of misty cloud."

Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is the American wizarding school, located on Mount Greylock in modern day Massachusetts. It accepts students from all over North America. Students of this school, as at Hogwarts in Scotland, are sorted into four houses:
Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird, and Pukwudgie.

Horned Serpent is sometimes considered to represent the mind of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Horned Serpent favors scholars.

Wampus is sometimes considered to represent the body of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Wampus favors warriors.

Thunderbird is sometimes considered to represent the soul of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Thunderbird favors adventurers.

Pukwudgie is sometimes considered to represent the heart of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Pukwudgie favors healers.

When a student starts their education at Ilvermorny, they step onto a Gordian Knot on the floor in the centre of the entrance hall with large wooden statues of the mascots for the four houses facing them. The carved statues react if they want the student in their house. The older students watch in silence from a circular balcony on a floor above them as the new students are sorted. For Horned Serpent, t
he crystal in the carving's forehead glows. For Wampus, the carving roars. For Thunderbird, the carving beats its wings. And for Pukwudgie, the carving raises its arrow.

However, sometimes more than one carving will try to select the same student and so the student is then able to choose the house they prefer. This happens very rarely. Sometimes - as rare as once a decade or even a generation as in the case of one student - a student will be selected by every house. After the sorting, the student is brought to a large hall where they are chosen once more, this time by a wand.

(Please post here if you are interested in this idea.)

Last edited:
More quick information:
  • This is a group roleplay.
  • Original characters only, please.
  • Use proper grammar to the best of your ability and please do not post one liners.
  • I will post further rules and character sheets if I get a few responses.
  • For more information about Ilvermorny, try visiting Pottermore or the Harry Potter Wiki.

Awesome! I would like a few more responses but I'm really glad to hear from both of you. I will have the rules and character sheets up soon.

Thanks!

Character Sheet:

(Picture can be included anywhere.)

Name
Year
Wand
House
Classes
Physical Description
Positive traits
Negative traits
Fears
Quirks
Personality
Life
Ambitions and Goals
Pet(s)
Extra

For determining some things about your character you might be confused about, here is a short explanation of a student's year and correlating age and how to choose their wand, house, and class schedule:

A student beginning their first year at Ilvermorny should be eleven or twelve, much like the No-Maj equivalent of a sixth grader. Every other year consecutively adds a year to the student's age, so they should end their seventh and final year at seventeen or eighteen.

To help choose your character's wand and house, I recommend reading up on information about the two on the Harry Potter wiki or taking the sorting quizzes found on Pottermore.

And for deciding their classes, first know that all first-years at Ilvermorny must take the following subjects: Transfiguration, Beginning Wandlore (an introduction class for Charms), Potions, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Astronomy, Herbology, and Flying.

At the end of their second year at Ilvermorny, students are required to choose a minimum of two more subjects from the following list: Arithmancy, Charms, No-Maj Studies, Divination, Study of Ancient Runes and Magizoology (Ilvermorny equivalent of Care of Magical Creatures).

Apparition can be taken starting at a student's fifth year.

Very specialized subjects such as Alchemy, Animagi Training, Arithmancy, Cursebreaking, and Wandless Magic are offered only to sixth and seventh years.

(You can code or add to the character sheet any way you like, these are just some main points that I would like you to include about your character.)

Last edited:

Rules:

1. You must play as at least one student of any year. Other characters may be another student or a differing role (Professor, Headmaster, nurse, etc.)

2. All first years will be sorted by the carvings, as explained in prior posts. If your student is not a first year, they simply sit with their house during the sorting ceremony and wait for the new first years to join them.

3. No perfect characters.

4. Be respectful of other members.

5. Do not harm others’ characters without their permission.

6. Further rules will be added if needed.

I will create the official sign-up and roleplaying threads, so please use this space simply to convey your interest or as a temporary out of character chat thread.

If you all plan on creating characters and joining the roleplay, feel free to post on the sign-ups thread anytime. I'm sorry it took me so long due to trouble perfecting the character sheet, but I have finally posted my own characters and am accepting others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back