• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

I'd Like To Try...

EgotisticalArmour

I'd like to try my hand at being a DM for a 5e D&D game. I'm a fairly inexperienced player in terms of actual play, since it seems very difficult to find an online community of D&D players, but I am fairly familiar with the rules and think that I could definitely be a fun DM for a game or two. I admit, I don't have a set campaign, but I do have an idea of the world already and I think that everyone would have a grand adventure if they played along. D&D's all about choosing your own path, so I hope my players will challenge my imagination...

Okay, so now that you know what you're getting into, I'd like to give you a little more info on what I'm willing to do, and what I want from you guys:

I'd prefer players who already have some idea of the game, but I'm fine with explaining things as long as YOU'RE willing to read- not just what I say, but sometimes I might make you look at a pdf of the player's handbook or another resource for info. If you're still unclear about some things, we'll talk about them, but I am not here to give you an in depth description of every single item a class gets at the start of their adventure. Things like that are specifically mentioned in the player's handbook, and while I don't expect newbies to read through the whole thing all at once like I did, a good player does look at the rulebook instead of just jumping into the game.

For simplicity reasons, everyone's character will have to be a level one, and no classes will be allowed other than the ones already mentioned in the player's handbook, at least not at first. I might later add some more complex classes, when everyone (myself included) is more experienced, but for now I think it's better if we just go "by the book" when it comes to classes. When it comes to races, I don't mind if you pick a race not from the player's handbook, but there DOES have to be some information on it that you can link me to- you can't just make up a race on the fly, as fun as that might be.

My final point I'd like to make is just that I am willing to do this RP on a site other than RPnation, if you guys want, like Skype. I would offer to do it on Roll20, but I don't have enough time to make all those maps for a story I am creating on the fly. Of course, I will try to write up some of the story in advance before our session, but making maps is hard enough for me and I'm not sure I can make what would probably have to be a few hundred for this world.

Feel free to message me or comment here if you have any questions!​

MrSquid123 said:
Can I join
Sure, but if you don't mind, can you tell me how knowledgeable you think you are about D&D 5e? It's not like you have to know a lot, but if you don't, I'd rather know now so that I can help explain some of the basics to you.

EgotisticalArmour said:
Sure, but if you don't mind, can you tell me how knowledgeable you think you are about D&D 5e? It's not like you have to know a lot, but if you don't, I'd rather know now so that I can help explain some of the basics to you.
My knowledge is basically zero hope that's not a problem

MrSquid123 said:
My knowledge is basically zero hope that's not a problem
I'll pm you some info to help you get started once I can message.

ALSO, I realize I didn't mention this: I don't have a specific limit for the entire world, but per campaign I think I'd like to take around five people at most, so there's four spots open at the moment. If a campaign ends unexpectedly because all the players leave, or the campaign just ends and there are available spots for some reason, I will be sure to inform people on either this or a new thread, depending on how old this thread is by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ayeee! Sounds cool, I'm in. Which pdf of the players handbook are you using? Just so we're on the same page :-0

I know there are some diffs from copy to copy.

Yoyoyoyoyo, I'm up for it. I've played a bit, I understand most of the rules, but I still can improve (DM had us do gladiator battles: fun and educational in combat, but a bit lacking in mechanics, but I'm eager to learn)

thnksfrllths said:
Yoyoyoyoyo, I'm up for it. I've played a bit, I understand most of the rules, but I still can improve (DM had us do gladiator battles: fun and educational in combat, but a bit lacking in mechanics, but I'm eager to learn)
Ah, well I hope to make it more of an adventure: Arenas aren't my thing, because while I do enjoy a good dungeon crawl every now and again, I like using all of my skills... Using only raw fighting capabilities bores me. Well, I am actually in the process of creating a character sheet for all of us, so hopefully by tomorrow we can start this. I say tomorrow, only because I am not sure how long you all will be up and online, and this might take awhile- I still have what has to be several pages of writing to do, and I'm not even the one filling out the sheet! ;) Lol, no worries. Compared to me, you all will have very little writing to do... Well, you'll have some- stats can be real jerks sometimes.

Hey, I finally got the character sheet done! You can view it here:

DnD Character Sheet Set-up

Feel free to make a copy of it for yourself and edit that copy, for those of you who know how to make a character. If anything in it confuses you, please inform me- I modeled it after another character sheet I've used before, so I'm familiar with everything I put in it, at least slightly.

@MrSquid123 , once I wake up I will help you get started. I spent most of my day working on that character sheet and researching, and because of that I'm afraid I'll have to at least take... 6-9 hours of sleep now? It's really early in the morning where I live...

Oh, and one more thing! For stats, we're going to use a point-buy system. I took a calculator's advice and decided the base stats for attributes will all be 10, and you'll have 27 points to add in whichever way you want. To help you guys keep your races in mind, however, I found this cool calculator that does all the racial attributes quickly:

D&D 5E Tools: Attribute Point-Buy Calculator

^ So, if you're anything other than human, it automatically adds your penalties and bonuses on for you, which is pretty convenient. Well, goodnight folks!

If you need another party member I would love to join!

I do just have one question you said only classes from the players handbook now I want to play a race from a different book would that be okay, I can post all its information if you want.

NekoChanBo said:
If you need another party member I would love to join!
I do just have one question you said only classes from the players handbook now I want to play a race from a different book would that be okay, I can post all its information if you want.
Yeah, I sort of mentioned under it I am fine with non-core game RACES as long as I get some link or something to their information- Is it something you homebrewed, or is it just from a different site and you thought it was cool? Despite what I said earlier about creating races, I think it would be fine if you did, so long as their stats aren't outrageous or their racial traits aren't crazy... Personally, I've always loved the Aarakocra, even though it's not in the base game... That creature MIGHT be in the Monster Manual though... I'd need to check-

Before I go off topic, just remember that your race has to be made for a 5e game- It's kind of hard to take a creature from a 3.5 or 4 game and put them into the net 5e game, but chances are that, unless it's homebrewed, there is a 5e version of that character made by a user online somewhere.

EgotisticalArmour said:
Yeah, I sort of mentioned under it I am fine with non-core game RACES as long as I get some link or something to their information- Is it something you homebrewed, or is it just from a different site and you thought it was cool? Despite what I said earlier about creating races, I think it would be fine if you did, so long as their stats aren't outrageous or their racial traits aren't crazy... Personally, I've always loved the Aarakocra, even though it's not in the base game... That creature MIGHT be in the Monster Manual though... I'd need to check-
Before I go off topic, just remember that your race has to be made for a 5e game- It's kind of hard to take a creature from a 3.5 or 4 game and put them into the net 5e game, but chances are that, unless it's homebrewed, there is a 5e version of that character made by a user online somewhere.
It's a real 5E race, I don't currently have a link to the handbook for it since I own it in real life but I'll post what it gives. Oh yeah it's a Goliath.

Goliaths share a number of traits in common with each other.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age. Goliaths have lifespans comparable to humans. They enter adulthood in their late teens and usually live less than a century.

Alignment. Goliath society, with its clear roles and tasks, has a strong lawful bent. The goliath sense of fairness, balanced with an emphasis on self sufficiency and personal accountability, pushes them toward neutrality.

Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Stone’s Endurance. You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury.

When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Mountain Born. You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

Oh and the Aarakocra are in the Elemental evil player's companion along with the Goliath actually.

NekoChanBo said:
It's a real 5E race, I don't currently have a link to the handbook for it since I own it in real life but I'll post what it gives. Oh yeah it's a Goliath.
Goliaths share a number of traits in common with each other.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age. Goliaths have lifespans comparable to humans. They enter adulthood in their late teens and usually live less than a century.

Alignment. Goliath society, with its clear roles and tasks, has a strong lawful bent. The goliath sense of fairness, balanced with an emphasis on self sufficiency and personal accountability, pushes them toward neutrality.

Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Stone’s Endurance. You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury.

When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Mountain Born. You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

Oh and the Aarakocra are in the Elemental evil player's companion along with the Goliath actually.

Oh cool, I know about these guys! :P I have a friend who plays a Goliath 24-7... I think he just likes imagining he's muscular lol. Anyway, that's awesome- make sure to make a character sheet for him. I'll create a thread for us and tag you all in it. By the way, your sign-up sheet WILL be your character sheet, just so you know. At least the core stats and background need to be filled out with your character's information before we can start.

As you can see because I tagged you all, I made the thread for our adventure. I'd like to inform you all that the plot does say your character is traveling through a city known as Kilsh, so you should probably think of a reason for WHY they're traveling and not in their home-lands. It doesn't have to be a really deep, psychological meaning, but it does have to make sense. Also, every creature in the Evil Player's Handbook is also allowed.

NekoChanBo said:
Found the PDF page 11 is the Goliath.
Elemental evil player's companion

EgotisticalArmour said:
Hey, I finally got the character sheet done! You can view it here:
DnD Character Sheet Set-up

Feel free to make a copy of it for yourself and edit that copy, for those of you who know how to make a character. If anything in it confuses you, please inform me- I modeled it after another character sheet I've used before, so I'm familiar with everything I put in it, at least slightly.

@MrSquid123 , once I wake up I will help you get started. I spent most of my day working on that character sheet and researching, and because of that I'm afraid I'll have to at least take... 6-9 hours of sleep now? It's really early in the morning where I live...
Quick question though, can I use the default 5e CS pdf instead?

[QUOTE="The Endergod]Extra interested in this. I am fairly knowledgeable with all thing 5e and would be willing to help explain anything.

[/QUOTE]
Awesome! You'll be our final player for now then, since you're the fifth... The actual thread has been set up, but we haven't started yet- It's still on the first page of the "Dice" forum.

[QUOTE="The Endergod]Quick question though, can I use the default 5e CS pdf instead?

[/QUOTE]
Can you give me a link to the pdf? My answer is probably yes anyway, but I would appreciate it. I'm a pretty tidy person, and would like to see if it has all the information my character sheet does... X_X Not that most of it matters. On the Sign-Up thread, I made the requirement to fill out the basic character sheet information, like core stats and background... Will you be able to do that with a pdf? Like, will you be able to link your copy of the standard one like I linked mine? If not, we can probably work around that of course...

EgotisticalArmour said:
Awesome! You'll be our final player for now then, since you're the fifth... The actual thread has been set up, but we haven't started yet- It's still on the first page of the "Dice" forum.
Can you give me a link to the pdf? My answer is probably yes anyway, but I would appreciate it. I'm a pretty tidy person, and would like to see if it has all the information my character sheet does... X_X Not that most of it matters. On the Sign-Up thread, I made the requirement to fill out the basic character sheet information, like core stats and background... Will you be able to do that with a pdf? Like, will you be able to link your copy of the standard one like I linked mine? If not, we can probably work around that of course...
Of course, but I can't link directly to the sheet, but it's the first black link that says fifth edition character sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back