Ice Titan's Might, Chapter 1: Rumblings in the Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mei-Lynn caught a bit of the oddity that was AWE but smiled politely. She since she had started traveling she had only begun to realize how many different types of people, beliefs, and cultures there were. She couldn’t judge since many people probably found her mannerisms weird. Mei half wondered what sort of ‘magic stuff’ they were looking for and if it was anything like Regalia’s. Most likely not, she hadn’t ever heard any tales that seemed to line up with her way of going about things. Something was different about her but she hadn’t quiet put her finger onto what.

Upon further introductions of each of the unique individuals in front of her, she gave a nod to each as they were introduced. “It is nice to meet you all, and from the sounds of it you are a prestigious lot,” said Mei-Lynn wondering if the boy named Austin the All-Powerful was embellishing a bit, but they’re was that saying about wonders not always appearing as they are. She gave them a moment to do their own sizing up of her, and after Austin met her green eyes she held the stare. “My name is Mei-Lynn, and I am from a far off land named Toraya, but the services of a powerful wizard I think would be very useful. We wander around quite a bit and have only recently come up from the south.”

Mei realized she hadn’t answered his question about who she was supposed to be. She tucked an annoying strand of hair that had fallen in front of her face form looking down at Austin behind her ear. “I’m a body guard of sorts. We can talk more about that at the Inn however if you are still interested. I’m picking up an item for my lord, and spreading his generosity.” With that she motions to the bag on the counter. “Sounds like you might need it if you intend to buy magic scrolls.”

Rendaril's Emporium:

Seeing Mei-Lynn gesture back to the counter, Rendaril uses the break in conversation to clear his throat and step forward, ledger in hand. "...Ahem. In the meantime, your lord's boots are here," he says, gesturing over to the shop assistant who had just returned and is in the process of wrapping the fur boots into a parcel for transport.

He looks around, mentally noting all of the things Austin had pointed at as he ran around. "It doesn't turn into rope, it -is- rope that winds itself for ease of transport and use as a proper staff if necessary. The dagger acts as a medium for channeling minor cantrips... though perhaps that's something you'd find trivial," he says, unsure of what to make of Austin's uncanny magical knowledge.

He moves to the curiosities shelf, right next to the counter to seemingly attract impulse purchases, and unlocks it. "It seems this is dust of disappearance, made from an Achar'ii sand and sold to us by a trader who passed by. I don't have any spell scrolls of aviation magic, we don't stock too many in general as they are not high in demand up here, though we have a few basic utility scrolls. In the meantime, perhaps this will strike your fancy." He unlocks the curiosities shelf and pulls out the small stuffed bird toy. "It's enough for small bursts, like crossing a gap or something. And you're definitely under the weight limit."

Austin awkwardly broke eye contact with the girl after a few seconds, but then his mind went racing. Wait, did she say Toraya? He quickly thought back to the many tomes and volumes he had read on the subject and he grinned widely in excitement. "Oh, wow, I should've realized from your outfit! Do you have any cool sorcery powers? No, you probably wouldn't be stuck as a bodyguard if you did, and you look way too fit... A martial artist or something? Are you from Iohao? Is it true that the Khan can vaporize entire armies with fireballs that rain from the sky? Have you ever met the Khan? No, of course you haven't, I doubt he'd talk to someone without magic... do you think I could meet the Khan?"

His rapid-fire questioning was finally brought to an end as Rendaril began to explain the various magic items. He quickly glanced back towards Mei-Lynn, a bit of a pained expression on his face. "See you at the place, Sleeping Coyote Inn, was it? A.W.E., copy that. Sorry, wanna talk, but magic calls, thanks for the gold, later, bye!" He turned back to the shopkeeper, hanging on to his every word as he explained the items. Austin was fawning over the scroll collection before he noticed A.W.E. looking at the stuffed bird Rendaril was holding with a faint smile on his face. I know that look... He pulled himself out of his magically induced mesmer state and put on his best negotiating face as he looked over to the shopkeep. "Well, Rendaril I presume, ya seem to have quite the collection going on here. For the scrolls, I'll take the Burning Hands and the Thunderwave scrolls, as well as the Web spell scroll. They're well below my level of arcane might, but I like to think of myself as a collector, and after all, even the greatest wizards need to know the basics. Then, I'll also take two hundred gold pieces worth of arcane binding ink." He looked up at A.W.E. and then back to Rendaril. "Oh, and I believe my friend here's interested in the bird. How much'll that run him?"

Rendaril's Emporium:

Rendaril scratches his head, then nods and puts all of the requested items together. Strange kid or not, money was money and this was a reputable business transaction. "200 for the scrolls, 200 gold worth of ink, and the stuffed bird. Well alright, that comes out to... " He squints at his ledger looking for the established prices. "...750 gold in total. Mind the toy, I've found that it tends to make noise -- probably to entertain rich children or something." An assistant starts packing it into a bag while Rendaril moves back behind the counter and to make sure all of the accounting was in order. "I don't suppose 350 gold is too steep a price for your friend there? It's a very finely handmade piece."

Mei-Lynn was surprised at how much he knew about her homeland, and it brought a genuine smile to her face to be reminded of it, well until the thoughts of probably never turning filtered back in. "I know a bit, though nothing along what a Wizard would know," she says before gesturing with her hand to the side. "Nise." Her shadow suddenly began to expand and shape up from the ground rapidly forming into a second version of her who gestures mirroringly back to Mei-Lynn. No sound comes from the minor illusion, as she was taught this technique merely for brief distractions and not masterful crafted illusions like some sorcerer's or wizards could pull off. "As to your other questions no, I'm from a smaller city than Lohao called Sie-kan," said Mei running a hand through her hair as if thinking about how much she missed the place. She thought about the Khan for a second and while it was extremely unlikely maybe if the boy kept up his passion it wasn't impossible was it? "The Khan is indeed very powerful, and perhaps you will meet him one day. But you will have to be strong!" Mei motions slight forward with her fist curling up in front of her in a display of confidence. Laughing for a moment at her foolishness she decided it was time to get a move on.

"Alright I'll see you at the Inn, Austin the All Powerful. We'll see what we can work out to our mutual benefit, alright?"
Mei spoke as she walked over to the counter grabbing the parcel. "Thank you for your service, my Lord will be pleased." She blew an errant hair out of her face as she strode out the door, and into the nearest side alley. Looking up and judging the distance she spun the ring on her left hand once again revealing the bunny design on it. She squatted for a moment and then.... jumped! As usual the ring gave her the boost to reach very high ledges that she would have had to struggle to get to. She landed on the roof of the ten foot tall building easily and proceeded to use the roof tops as a short cut to get back to the Inn. As she went from roof top to roof top increasing speed, she grinned clearly enjoying the challenge of not falling, and not wanting to make too much of a scene when nearing the Inn she choose an alleyway to jump down from. She landed feet only buckling slightly, and she decided to put the shoes on now rather than later before she proceeded towards the Sleeping Coyote.

Upon entering she saw many faces she didn't recognize but one that she did. "Regalia! Thanks for ordering me food, and who are these people you are with?" she asked sitting down and starting to gobble up the foot on the plate finishing it in a matter of moments.

Austin watched as Mei performed the illusion, very familiar with the spell, but curious about her power. Huh. Alright, guess she's not completely magically stunted. He chuckled a little at her remark about the Khan. Oh, I'll show him strong alright. I'll be the strongest wizard the world'll ever see! But first... He frowned as he considered the amounts dictated by the salesman. "While your costs aren't exactly surprising, I was hoping they'd be lower. I won't insult a fellow practitioner of the magical arts, but I do have another proposal for you." He reached into A.W.E.'s chest cavity once more, not particularly minding how strange it might look, and pulled out several scrolls. He unfurled the archaic scrolls on the table, standing on his tiptoes to spread them out all the way as he showed them to Rendaril. "I'd like to suggest a trade. I have here a scroll of Comprehending Languages, a scroll of Sleep, a scroll of Unseen Servant, an invaluable asset around a shop if I might add, and a scroll of Levitation. I'm offering you the four of my scrolls in exchange for the three of yours. I'll still be purchasing the ink and the bird from you at full price, and you'll end up with a larger inventory in the end. Whadda ya say?" He gave Rendaril his best salesman smile.

Nods along with Puck’s explanation her hands idle on the table before her. “That is what happens when you fight for sport, it grows old. Welcome to the northern lands Puck, I hope you find the excitement you desire, but not too much.” Laughing she takes a glance towards the door once more.

As Alder introduces himself she smiles warmly at the cleric. “Good to meet you, I am...” her words were interrupted by the familiar call from Mei, standing from her seat as the woman rushedly approached. A spark of eldricht energy leaving her fingers, but Mei diverted directly to her food. The tension left as quickly as it came, while Regalia looked down at the chowing Mei.

“We have just introduced ourselves but moments ago, the grinning one is Alder and the horned one is Puck” as she said their names she gestured gently towards Alder and thumbed at Puck. “This boy here has com to fight against the rumored giants.” This brings her to chuckle.

Mei-Lynn chewed on the last of her food as Regalia talked nodding along to her statements and lingered on Puck when Regalia mentioned he was off to fight giants. 'I wonder if any of the giants here used to live in a particular castle.' Pushing the thought aside as she swallowed she grinned at the new comers. "Hello, Puck and Alder. My name is Mei-Lynn, hailing from lands far away as Toraya. It seems there has been an influx of travelers through here lately," said Mei looking back to Regalia. "I wasn't sure if you were looking for more traveling companions but it looks like we might have recruited the same amount. Met two people while shopping. A wizard boy, and I think his guardian. Let them know to meet us here since I figured it was safer in numbers."

After a moment she leans back and crosses her legs onto the table to show off her new boots. "Looks like we are matching now, Regalia!" she says smiling broadly. After watching Regalia's expression she turns back to the other two. "Either of you two have upcoming plans besides picking a fight with a giant? I've a feeling we could take on a number of jobs around here to earn a bit of money or hit the road together if we are headed in the same direction."

Puck grinned, "Is there such a thing as too much excitement?" His attention was quickly caught by the entrance of Mei-Lynn. At her question, Puck spread his hands in a shrug before closing the blanket once more around him, and nodding towards Scram, "My plans are very long term -- though hopefully they happen soon! However that leaves quite a bit of ... openness in my time. I'd asked this interesting fellow if I could be of service, but due to my potentially flighty nature, I'm not exactly the best fit for his company."

He leaned forward on the bar with a smile, "What direction might you be headed in?"

Rendaril's Emporium:

Rendaril blinks and raises an eyebrow as Austin casually pulls out several large scrolls from A.W.E.'s chest, inspecting them as the parchments are spread across the counter. "Very... interesting," he says, glancing momentarily at the disguised warforged. "An illusion? I don't particularly care enough to ask why, though if you're hiding for a reason -- and I imagine you might -- perhaps you wouldn't want to be so obvious should there be more prying eyes around."

Having said that the half-elf shrugs, passing a hand over the old scrolls. "But eh. As for these scrolls you're trading in, where did you even get these? I don't recognize the scribe style." He crosses his arms, then nods in approval after a moment. "That being said these do appear to be in workable condition, however... worn they are. I suppose I can accept the trade, lad."

Austin shrugged in response to Rendaril's question. "I mean, no real reason other than a coupla jerks try to pick up A.W.E. whenever I turn my back. Its annoying when it happens, but not a big deal." When Rendaril accepted his offer, Austin grinned widely and turned to look up at A.W.E. before speaking in gnomish. "What'd I tell ya, A.W.E.! Always worth giving things a shot." He recollected himself from his excitement and took the scrolls from the counter, sliding them back into A.W.E.'s chest cavity. "Glad we could come to an arrangement. Found the scrolls in some ruins over by Zanveer. They were maintained magically, so I can assure you they'll work just fine. "

Austin counted out one hundred gold pieces from his coin pouch and placed them on the counter before flicking a wrist at the bag Mei had left, and an arcane hand of blue energy slid it over to be in front of him. "A.W.E., count out three hundred and fifty pieces of round coins composed of elemental designation 'aurum'." He looked to the shopkeeper apologetically. "Sorry, I still haven't really been able to get him to understand money. I'm thinking the people who made him might've bartered or something."

Ok, so this one is Regalia, and this one is Puck...The newcomer is Mei-Lynn. Alright remember that, don't forget their names, you've got an offer for friends and a job. They might be able to even help you if you help them, a fair trade no? As these thoughts bounce around Alder's head, he looks back and forth as the others talk. When addressed by Mei-Lynn, Alder copied Puck's shrug "Currently I'm not up to very much, I haven't had much luck lately in my goals. As for makin' some gold together, what did you have in mind? Where ya headed?"

Sitting back to let the high energy ones chat she finally relaxes. Dragging her hands through her bangs they stick straight up in her fingers before fluffing back down across her forehead. She would need to grab her furs and plate before heading to the magistrates. Setting herbhands on the table she pressed up from her seat to stretch indicating towards the door with her chin. “I me self am goin te visit the one hiring guards, I’m bettin on good paying work. Barkeep says they are hirin to evict a giant. Could kill two birds one stone.” Giving Puck a wink she moved around the table towards the back stairs. “I’ll be back, if the others come wait for me.”

"Well sir your luck is about to change," says Mei-Lynn before she points to Regalia with a thumb. "Been headed north with this kind lady," said Mei giving Regalia a wink. "She's probably the brains of the operation I'd say, though we've mostly just been headed north. I figured the cold drives away a lot of the people that can't handle the weather, and the less people there are the more opportunities to make some money."

When Regalia stands up saying she's going to go talk to the one hiring guards and see about that giant she nods. "Sounds like a plan, and these gentlemen here look like they know their way around a scrap or two." As Regalia got out of ear shot she looked towards the two. "Which one of you two got her so flustered? Normally I'm the one doing that. Sir Puck, have you ever seen a Giant before?"

She'd heard stories, and actually lived in a place build for them. The doors and archways had been tremendous, much larger than any architecture she had seen since. While she wasn't exactly sure she could go toe to toe with such a presumably large beast, maybe if she had enough people it would be easier... still she didn't want to get these people killed even if they were relative strangers to her still.

Rendaril's Emporium:

"Zanveer? I think I've heard of that, it's somewhere near Usbeth if my memory serves correctly. Weird folks, them -- always working on some strange new science the guilds aren't fond of condoning publicly." Rendaril shakes his head, like dismissing unpleasant memories. "But that's another story. But I didn't realize dangerous ruins were so easy to just wander into -- and to find stuff like this lying around..." He thinks about it for a moment glancing between the two, then shrugs and looks back to Austin. "You're certainly an interesting kid. If you happen to wander into any other dangerous places and find any powerful ancient artifacts, give me a call."

Resting his head in his hands, Puck gave another long sigh, "Unfortunately only in sketches and drawings in the sand. The one that came to visit in his castle came on a day I was preoccupied elsewhere -- trust me, the others never let me forget that I missed such an occasion." His expression shifted to a grin, "Sir Puck though? I think you might give me a title far too good for me, and far too humble for what I aim for."

Stretching he rewrapped the blanket around himself, "If we're intending to head out however, I should likely get properly dressed and not just prance through the snow in my casual clothes meant for a much warmer lifestyle. I also still wish to visit this interesting sounding Emporium I've heard so much about."

Mei-Lynn looked curiously at Puck not exactly sure what to think. 'Was it the same castle? Did the Giant finally return to claim what was his or is this another castle in the sky?' she wondered briefly. "You said a Giant showed up for a competition in his castle, was it to fight himself or were they're others inside the castle as well?" She asked interested to get a bit more information on that matter. When Puck was taken aback by being called a Sir, she smirked. "There are Knights of all sorts of prestige. I've heard bards singing of the tails of Sir Gawain, and other knights of old. Some save people, find ancient artifacts, and slay mighty beasts. Others have used their power for personal gain, conquest, and murdered their families. I'd rather hope you were the former. Perhaps you are Sir Puck, the Mightiest Slayer of Giants, Undefeated Champion of the Arena, and Master of the Weapons."

She gave a genuine laugh before continuing. "Imagine announcers having to say that mouthful every time you showed up to a court," said Mei-Lynn looking off in the direction that Regalia had wandered off in. "I just came from the Emporium, and there appears to be quite a bit of magical items there. Maybe something you'll find of us to you there?" said Mei-Lynn grabbing her empty plate and placing it on top of Regalia's plate. She drummed her fingers as she glanced around the place. "I guess I should leave you to that if you need to check that shop."

It wasn’t long before the plodding sound of boots on wooden step could be heard for those paying attention. The woman now looking more like the outlander she was with her breast plate and fur lined cloak and crossbow strapped to her back. Regalia enjoyed being toasty wherever she went. Mei would notice her main weapon would remain missing while in town. The arsenal she carried otherwise would suffice. Axes and things.

“Alright you lot, I be ready, any sign of the other two, I feel if willing to share teh pay a largar party should make quick work of whatever we can acquire.” Gloves hands rest heavy on Alder and Mei’s shoulders respectively.

Raising an eyebrow, Puck grinned, "Awfully curious aren't you? He didn't fight, instead he made bets on fights, as far as I know." At her question of if anyone else was in the castle, Puck's expression shifted slightly as he tapped the bartop, a tap for each word, "Unfortunately. I. Was. Not. There." The hardness faded as he returned to his smile, "However when it comes to my title I wish it to be a scroll in itself I hand to the announcer and it's only when the guests have gone home he finally finishes reading it out!"

Running a hand along one of his horns he added, "Unfortunately at least in Garza I doubt I would be welcomed at court so pleasantly, unless it were not as myself. Which is disappointing, for why bother being anyone else? Unless," he raised a finger, "it were for great amusement and the roar of a crowd."

Pushing himself to his feet, he wrapped his tail around himself under the blanket as he shuddered, "If we're going to be heading out it seems my shopping must be attempted sooner rather than later. If you'll excuse me," he bowed to Scram, Alder and Mei at the bar only to strut back to his room, blanket worn once more as a regal cloak.

Closing the door behind himself, Puck gave a long sigh as his hand went to mess with his necklace, buried under his shirt. Pulling it from underneath he smiled as he stared at the gem, sparkling in the light, "Truly a good luck charm aren't you ... already I find myself dragged along into something interesting ..." the gem seemed to glint slightly stronger for a moment as he squeezed the amulet before dropping it back into his shirt.

Throwing the blanket onto the bed once more, he shivered for a moment as he knelt to reach under the bed, drawing out his own armor and gear. The chainmail was cold to the touch as he lifted it, putting on his layers underneath and draping it over himself, a faint jingling following him as he moved. Next was his shield, closer to a buckler shield than anything else to aid with his quick movements on the field, as he set it on the bed for now. Pulling out the weapons they were set against the bed as he dug out his pack, checking to make sure his coins were still there before anything else. With a nod he hefted the pack and began placing his items on himself, the small tiefling somehow managing to easily carry it all.

Returning back down the stairs he wasn't the most quiet: chainmail layered on his clothing, pack strapped on his back, his quiver of javelins shifting as he walked, the three prongs of a trident mixed in, his buckler shield on his right arm while on his right hip was hooked a warhammer, the head of which was a hand holding a dagger -- the blade sharp while the pommel had been widened out into the blunt edge. With a grin he leaned against the counter, tail lazily sweeping behind him, "If you lot want to wait for the other two I can visit the shop and meet you elsewhere."

'Maybe just coincidence but how many floating castles are there?' she wondered to herself as she shrugged in response to her curious nature. "Think you'll find that I end up asking a lot of questions," says Mei-Lynn who lets the sudden brusque comment about him not being there roll off her like rain water. "I pity that poor announcer should that day come."

When Garza is mentioned she frowns. "That is unfortunate to hear. In Toraya we do not care where you come from but the strength of your arm, or the might of your will," says Mei as she makes a minor illusion of shadows wrapping from one hand to another before disappearing. She had come a long way since she was younger in allowing her Ki to manipulate the weave of magic and though her abilities were limited she enjoyed using the little spell she had. "Don't let me hold you up, if you need to go shopping."

It was about then she felt someone put a hand on her shoulder she reached up to grab the hand, and she barely caught herself from twisting the arm before realizing it was Regalia. Hand already up she gave the woman's hand a quick squeeze before dropping her hand back down. "I'm still waiting for them yes, and I believe Puck there is going to head towards the Emporium to grab a few extra things. It'll be I think a few before we are fully ready to go I think," said Mei-Lynn as she eyed Puck who came back in full armor with... well a lot of weapons. "Guess I was right about Master of Weapons wasn't I? We'll see you when you get back, I plan on hanging around until they show up. They might think I ditched them otherwise."

Doing a small spin, Puck grinned as his gear clattered against itself, "Master of many things." Moving to the doorway he continued, "I will meet you here then when I finish -- don't let anything too interesting happen without me!"

Stepping outside the brisk cold hit him like a wall once more as he quickly tried to make his way to the Emporium, wandering for a bit as he ambled, finally making it inside and sighing in relief from the warmer building. Keeping a hand to his side to keep the javelins and trident from accidentally hitting anything, he wandered the store, finding the thicker gear he was looking for along with a set of boots that made him think of warm sweet Garza before ambling over to where certain items were set out on display. Notably a trident and javelin caught his eye, along with a seemingly out of place piggy bank. His head tilted somewhat as he considered it.

Carrying the thicker gear he moved towards the counter, seeing a pair currently in negotiations and started humming under his breath as he waited.

Smiling softly at the sight of his new bird collectable, A.W.E turns his head towards Austin and nods in agreement. "Yes, a good shot indeed." A.W.E. replies, taking hold of his bird and patting it gently on the head before putting it with the rest of the scrolls in his stomach. In the same motion, A.W.E. pulls out a bag of gold and starts to rapidly count out the amount owed. "Three hundred and fifty pieces of Aurum counted. ...Thank you for the bird, it is nice." As he gives his thanks, he looks towards both Austin and Rendaril, slightly tilting his head in thanks.

Austin grinned mischievously to Rendaril. "I'll consider it. I wouldn't recommend just walking in without doing your research though, since they've got all sorts of traps and monsters and stuff like that. Before I learned any magic, I used to have to either lure monsters away or wait till they were gone. Still, definitely worth it." He adjusted his robes, which were just a bit too long for him and looked up at A.W.E.. "Glad you like 'im! Anyways, lets go find that Torayan girl. I wanna ask her more about her magic. My hopes aren't high, but she could surprise me."

He turned to leave, but his jaw dropped as he saw the grey skinned person waiting at the door. “Woah... you’re a tiefling!” He excitedly ran up to the man and began inspecting him, inspecting him almost like a specimen. “Did your mom get nasty with a devil? Was it your dad? Or are you an immigrant from the fire plane? Do you ever hit your horns on doors? Does it hurt when I do this?” A blue hand of force materialized behind the tiefling and yanked on his tail.

Watching the pair with interest, Puck was distracted by the fact the two casually were reaching in and out of the larger one's chest. Seeing the smaller one eagerly approach, Puck put on his best smile, however before he could get a word in edgewise he felt a strong pull on his tail behind him.

Giving a small yelp, he reached down and pulled his tail towards himself, coughing slightly, "Ah, you're ... very interesting yourself. And very inquisitive! That's always fun -- yes I'm a tiefling, it's nice to hear someone use the proper word instead of mere 'devil'." Puck paused for a moment as he thought, "Granted, it's always worked well for marketing ..." His gaze refocused on the small human as he ran a finger along his horns with a grin, "Fortunately I am small enough, rarely are doors anywhere near my head. If anything the clubs and weapons of the arena are what I most often have to dodge. Or at least were, it's been a little while since I was in the warmth of the sands..." he sighed for a moment.

Patting the small boy on his head gently, "The rest of those questions are only for sponsors to know and paying fans to find out." Stepping up to the counter he placed the cold weather gear and leaned on it, nodding towards the items on display, "Hello hello hello, I saw some other items that caught my eye, I'd like to know more." Gesturing over his shoulder he continued, "As you might be able to see, I favor tridents and javelins, and I note you have two on display. There's also a small little pig-looking thing, what's going on with that?" As he spoke his tail swept behind him back and forth.

Austin listened with rapt attention that quickly faded as the tiefling spoke. Apparently you never stop marketing yourself, do ya? When the tiefling reached out to touch his head, Austin immediately stiffened, a cold anger overcoming him. He took a step to follow after him, reaching for his component pouch before he looked up at A.W.E. and stopped. He sighed and turned back around, walking out the door. “Come on, buddy. Let’s make like a tree.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread