Ice Titan's Might, Chapter 1: Rumblings in the Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rendaril's Emporium:

Rendaril glances at the odd duo as they leave, before turning to his other strange customer. "Ah, right. Well the trident allows you to exert influence over beasts of the sea -- not the most useful, but I got it for cheap from a traveling merchant in the outside market. If nothing else I was hoping to sell it off the next time I headed down to the coast," he says, walking over to the shelves. "The javelin is infused with lightning energy, and can shoot like a bolt towards your target once per dawn."

He takes out the piggy bank, undoing the cork stopper on top as he places it back on the counter. "As for the pig... it's a new minor enchantment, meant for keeping safe your currency." He drops a gold coin in (which Puck doesn't hear clink at the bottom) and replaces the stopper. Once he lets go of the pig it immediately springs to life, shaking itself off and letting out a soft oink. "There's no limit to its capacity, as far as I'm aware," he says, giving it a small pat.

Waving over his shoulder at the pair, Puck focused on Rendaril as he discussed the items. The trident could be amusing ... but he doubted he'd be on the sea anytime soon considering he just came from that direction, the javelin would be an interesting as a show piece ... but when the man continued onto the small piggy bank, Puck's eyes widened as he grinned. "Oooh ~ That's very interesting. Is it considered alive? How do you get the coins back out of it?"

Lowering himself in front of the counter he moved to be eye level with the pig, "And how much would it be?" Glancing up at the storekeeper he smirked, "If I spend most of my fortune attempting to store my fortune, it feels a little redundant, yes?"

Austin led the way through the streets with his robotic companion, ignoring any traffic that might be in their way. “Hmm... what was that place called again? The ‘Sleeping Coyote’? What a dumb name for an inn. Coyotes are just smaller lamer wolves. I’ll lower my standards for both proprietors and patrons.”

Finally finding the inn, Austin flicked up a wrist and a blue hand made of arcane force turned the door knob, and he kicked it open. Looking around at the various people to try to find the Torayan girl. Finally spotting her, he stood to his full, not quite four and a half foot tall height, and walked over, whispering to A.W.E. in gnomish. Alright, A.W.E., be cool.” He got up to the bar and clambered up onto a stool and looked over to the bartender. “I’ll take a pint of milk. Whole.” Turning to face Mei, he looked as casual as he could manage. “Oh, well funny that I’d run into you again... well, I guess it’s not that funny, since you invited me here and all.” Alright. So far so good. He put his hands down on the counter. “So! What is it that ya wanted to talk about?”

Rendaril's Emporium:

When Puck asks if it's alive, the half-elf shrugs and shakes his head no. "You won't get any bacon out of it, if that's what you're asking. But I'd still recommend against storing it in any sort of extradimensional space like a bag of holding, just for a different reason." The pig tilts his head curiously at Puck when they meet at eye level.

Rendaril opens the stopper again and places in a copper coin and a silver piece, before holding out a hand. "One gold and one silver, please." The pig makes a sad squealing noise, but obliges and spits out the same two coins from before, albeit dry and just a bit shinier than before. "The last coin has to be physically shaken out -- it won't give it up willingly -- but it will only imprint on the person who activates it by putting currency in." Picking up the pig with two hands, he undos the stopper once more and shakes out the last copper piece, and it turns statue-like once more. "200 gold."

Sleeping Coyote:

The bartender, a pale elven male, looks over to Austin when he calls out. "Um... sure? I probably have something left in the back..." He glances around to make sure none of the other bar patrons needed immediate help, then pops into the back door behind the counter. After a minute or two he comes back swirling a half-full glass bottle of milk and sets it down in front of the boy, along with a shot glass. "2 silver, I guess."

"Mm ~ No, not for bacon. Just personal curiosity when it comes to such things." Puck watched the demonstration with interest, adding, "What happens if someone attempts to break the poor thing?"

Patting the set of gear off to the side, "I'm definitely getting this stuff, though given the lack of tieflings around here, I may need to ask for an adjustment if possible." He smirked before turning sideways, "I've got a feature hardly anyone around here does, and I'd prefer it not freeze off." Pointing at the small magic pig he continued, "And I think I'll get this little one as well -- too interesting to ignore, I feel we'll be fast friends."

Rendaril's Emporium:

"I imagine it might shatter like any other ceramic work, though I dare say this one's sturdier and more evasive than most," Rendaril notes, making a note in his ledger. "Barring a casual toss into a volcano your gold should still be salvageable in the aftermath." He pushes the pig forward on the counter, then looks to the set of gear. "As for the cold gear, it goes for 15 gold and we include a sizing adjustment in the price. I don't know how experienced our worker is with 'features' of that sort but I'm sure something rudimentary could be put together."

Puck smiled as he counted out the gold, "Sounds like a done deal."

Following the storekeeper he stood for measurements, studying the new pig and attempting to think of names while the person worked on something for his tail. As he sat, he started putting the rest of his coin into the object while he muttered, "You need a name ... something fitting, but not too irritating ..." watching the pig come alive he listened as it made faint noises, running around him, he chuckled, "How about ... Tom Snout? Seems appropriate but not too demeaning." Glancing up at him the pig seemed to snort in approval while Puck grinned again, "That settles that then. At some point you'll need to meet Cobweb."

After getting the new equipment finished and sorted, he thanked the employee, giving Rendaril a bow as he left, gear clattering a bit as the pig oinked from his arms, and made his way back to the Sleeping Coyote -- where to his surprise he saw the same pair from before.

Stepping up behind the young human boy, the porcelain pig in his arms he grinned, "Truly a small town is it not? Hello again Alder, Regalia and Mei-lynn, are we ready to set off towards whatever adventures await us? Or at the very least the next paying gig?"

Looking down at Austin he frowned for a moment, "I do hope you don't intend to poke and prod me some more." With a toothy grin he continued, "Because if that's how you want to be, I can play that game, but I doubt you'll like it." His expression shifted as if nothing happened, "However! I don't believe we ever traded names, did we?" Giving a slight bow, "I am Puck -- great gladiator of the Garza arena, 'devil of the sands', here for new challenges and greater titles." Standing upright he continued, "And this new friend is Tom Snout, my other friend in the stables is named Cobweb -- unfortunately he can't exactly follow me everywhere because he's an elk. We tried ... has a hard time fitting through doors." His gaze wandered for a moment before snapping back, looking expectantly at Regalia, "Where to?"

Once Puck had left, Alder shared the table with Mei-Lynn, shooting her awkward glances as they sat there in the silence. He had quickly wriggled out from under the hand of Regalia as she had returned, uncomfortable. Under the table Alder was playing with the hem of his shirt, picking at the fraying threads with long yellowed fingernails. After a few moments of this silence Alder attempted to whistle casually, but his exaggerated teeth had never really allowed for a proper tune. Eventually he just gave up and said “I’m gonna go get my stuff!” And retreated to his room to gather his belongings. Alder donned his regular travelers clothes, hiding a worn breastplate under a thick cloak. He stuffed the rest of his belongings into his pack, and along with the large tent he kept wrapped separately, and headed downstairs lugging his bags to rejoin Mei-Lynn and Regalia.

Slightly out of breath, Alder waited quietly until the two new arrivals joined them, the smaller one ordering a glass of milk. Alder gave him a toothy smile, “That’s a smart choice there kiddo! Milk is good for ya, helps you grow big and strong, like your buddy here!”

As Puck returned and asked about where they were heading to, Alder simply looked towards Mei-Lynn and Regalia and awaited an answer as well.

Regalia dragged her gloves fingers through her bangs upon seeing the appearance of the new squirt and his companion, this must have been who Mei was talking about. Again she chuckled she was a collector of strays. Shifting her gear clanging she turns for the door. “We should get a move on if we are going, all the good jobs will be taken if we keep delaying.”

Her movement stopped short by Puck’s arrival once more. Everyone together her eyes grew a bit wide when Puck asked her where to. “They are signing on guards te evict a giant as I said, so will be going to speak with teh magistrate giving these orders. Yah all are free te come if yah wish. Even the wee one.” Folding her arms across her chest she looked to Mei, “C’mon lass, you can discuss ye plans with teh boy on teh way.”

Regalia indicates to the door with a nod of her head adjusting her cross bow before moving towards the exit clapping the tiefling on the shoulder as she squeezed by him with the busy tavern.

Last edited:
Mei-Lynn looked over to Alder who seemed to be uncomfortable, and she frowned apologetically towards him. “Don’t worry, we don’t bite. At least I think Regalia doesn’t bite,” she says looking over to Regalia with a teasing smirk. It isn’t much long after that than the two she had met at the Emporium strode in. ‘Well he likes to make an entrance it seems. Can’t blame him for that considering the way I normally get around,’ thought Mei as she watched for a moment as he went over to the bar. She leaned over to Regalia.

“There’s the two I picked up, the smaller boy is a Wizard, and I think the taller man is his bodyguard as far as I can tell, though he seems a bit weirder than most,”
said Mei-Lynn as she watched Alder mention he was going to go get his stuff and he seemed nervous. ‘I rather hope he isn’t like that when our lives are on the line… hesitation gets people hurt or worse.’

Her attention went back to Austin when he mentioned that it was funny running into her here, and a question as to what she had planned on talking about to them. She was about to speak when Regalia mentioned they should get a move on, and Alder came down the stairs not much longer. “Alright we can walk and talk,” said Mei as she stood up and then Puck wandered in recognizing the two as well. ‘Must have crossed paths with each other at the emporium though wonder what their exchange had been like.’

As she moved in the direction of Regalia she looked over to Austin and began to explain a bit of the group they currently were with. “Regalia here, and I have been traveling for quite awhile together and found that travel is generally safer in groups, along with the ways to earn coin. If she taught me anything a chance encounter with strangers can turn into a mutual benefit, and we’re hoping you all might see it that way and help us earn a bit of coin and maybe good will up this far north.”

She glances over to Regalia as they walk outside. “I don’t know if she plans to continue north afterward, or if this is were we stop and see if we can make a living out here but I appreciate all of you being eager to help. I honestly have seen a lot of grumbling men and women up here that would sooner grunt at your comments and then act as if they hadn’t heard you speak. Something of the northerner charm I’m told,” says Mei-Lynn giving a short chuckle.

“Puck here as he mentioned seems to be looking to make a name for us, so obviously anything we do that might make the bards sing his praises I feel like he will be up for doing,”
said Mei-Lynn glancing over to the Tiefling as if to get confirmation. She looked over to Alder for a moment gesturing to him. “I’m not quite sure his story as of yet, but I’m sure since he was hanging around Puck and Regalia he must be worth his salt, after all Regalia is a VERY good judge of character. She even spared a thief's life once because she could tell that they were a good person at heart.”

Her gaze turns to Regalia with a knowing smile before she puts her hands behind her head while they continued to walk. “As for me, I’m up here partly just to see the world, make new friends, and maybe get into a small amount of mischief. Regalia keeps me in line though… most of the time,” says Mei-Lynn before looking back to Regalia again and giving her a wink.

Austin’s excitement fizzled and waned as he saw the tiefling enter out of the corner of his eye, and he groaned as he approached them. “Really? You’re here too? Nice pig. Gimme a minute and I could make a stronger, smarter and better version of that cheap knockoff easily.” He laughed at the tiefling’s poor decision making. “Anyways, unless you’ve got more interesting answers for me, not much prodding left to do. I’m Austin. And you’re boring me.”

Austin turned from the tiefling in time to see Alder arrive, and at seeing the eyes and teeth, Austin’s jaw dropped. “Now that’s interesting. You’re a shifter, right? That’s awesome! Were your parents shifters? Or was one of them human and another an animal? That’d be weird. What kinda animal do you resemble? Do ya have any cool powers?” He faltered as another heavily robed figure spoke in a harsh accent and then his attention was drawn back to Mei, who he had briefly forgotten had existed. He looked back to the milk on the bar and quickly gulped it down before tossing out a gold coin. “Oh. Well, alright then. Didn’t think we’d be running around already, but that’s... whatever.”

Following back outside, he smacked A.W.E. on the leg twice and pointed in the direction they were headed to indicate to follow. “Sounds like you need to work on your goals. They aren’t nearly as cool as A.W.E.’s and mine. I’m going to become the strongest wizard in the history of the world, and we’re going to find his home and the people who made him.” He spoke very matter of factly, like it was already a decided thing. “Still, neither of those really contradict your goals, so I guess we could hang out here for a bit... especially if you can tell me more about Toraya! What kinda food did you eat there? Did you know any powerful sorcerers? What was their magic like? Were there any cool magical monsters that we don’t get here?” He seemed giddy with excitement once again.

When Austin draw's attention to the pig in Puck's arms she looks closer having not noticed it in the rush, and bent forward to get a good look at it before smiling. "Oh I don't know, the pig seems cute just as it is," says Mei as she pulls back from looking at the item. She nods along to Austin's blaze of question and his own reasons for being up here. 'Oh yes, I'm on the run from a monastery where I trained, who normally don't let their students outside of their floating castle in the sky. I'd also like to not die any time soon.' She thought in regards to her goals not being that grand. She had once wanted to be one of the teachers or one of the best students to come out of the Monastary and make her family proud that they had choose to send her away. Now... that wasn't likely to happen, neither was seeing any of her family again.

Instead of letting herself dwell on this she shook her head giving a sheepish grin at all the questions leveled at her about Toraya. "I mean we had these dumplings that I would kill for," says Mei as if lost in thought of the taste. She loved food, and the looks she got from many people at taverns when she eat she knew that her appetite was much more ravenous than others. Mei-Lynn knew this was partially because of her bodies training and usage of Ki. It drained the body, mind, and the spirit which most of it needed to recharge with energy... energy broken down from food. "My father was a Sorcerer, and a Bureaucrat, but other than that I did not know any others personally. I can't say I ever saw my father in battle but from what he has told me and my sister he could sling a spell or two. Other than that we had a pet owlbear at home if that's what you mean by magical monsters."

She absently played with a strand of hair as she walked along and then shrugged. "I'm afraid the daughter of a Bureaucrat doesn't get out much, partly why I left to see the world. There are a lot of amazing things out here that I've never seen before."

Regalia chuckled to herself once more her cold chapped cheeks barely revealing the blush that warmed her face. A woman of few words the words she did say meant a great deal. She was glad that Mei thought so highly of her, but she was no saint a fallen Valkyrie of Oen, could never call herself such. Thinking on icebreaker and the voice she dreamt, why was he always so cryptic. Her heart pinged why wouldn’t he talk to her more, she had grown used to it, but still.

Shaking her head out of her spiraled thought she looked back to the group. “Aye Mei you speak too highly of me. I’m not but a simple highlander.” (There can be only one)
”I dunnaigh mind bein that.” She again thought back to icebreaker hoping the magnificently masterful wizard wouldn’t have too many questions about it. Then again she hoped she wouldn’t need it.

Last edited:
Alder stared back at the boy with his eyes wide, not expecting the rapid fire questions. Before he even had a chance to answer, the group was up and moving, and Alder shouldered his packs and followed. At the prompt of Mei-Lynn, Alder piped up "My deal? My deal is whatever Oen wishes of me. I believe it was His plan itself that guided me to sit next to you in that bar today, and I am looking forward to seeing where that takes me." Alder grins at the other before continuing in a slightly more guarded tone. "Although...if we're talking long term goals, I am on the hunt for something in particular. History tells of ancient artifacts of Oen's first chosen, the giants, and I believe that He chose me to rediscover these artifacts."

Austin looked at Mei confusedly. “Wait, I thought a sorcerer’s magic was passed on through their bloodline. If your dad’s a sorcerer, why aren’t you? Is that why you can do your weak illusions?” He paused for a moment, realizing that came out wrong. “Sorry. Anyways, a pet owlbear? That’s neat. Your dad probably used an animal charming spell or something.”

Austin looked over to the heavily covered woman, feeling like there was something nagging for his attention, but he was distracted by Alder’s talking, and he grinned widely. “Wait, ancient artifacts? That’s freaking awesome! What kinda ruins have ya been in before? Did ya find any scrolls or powerful magical artifacts in any of them?

Mei looked over to Regalia and shook her head. "Far from a simple girl," responds Mei-Lynn as she gives Regalia a look that reaffirms her disbelief in the statement. "You're at least one of the best people I've met since leaving Toraya."

Alder grabbed her attention when he finally spoke up, and there was a moment where she contemplated a number of actions, from a preemptive strike to a pointed retreat. "I rather hope Oen has nothing to do with it," she says simply before looking away. It is clear it's a topic she'd rather avoid. Instead she turns back to the conversation with Austin.

"Sort of... I'm not sure if it always breeds true but maybe that's where the power came from..."
she says looking off towards the distant street. Finished playing with that strand of hair she shrugs. "I'm fairly certain the Crookbeak wasn't charmed in anyway but I could be wrong."

Regalia strode quickly as she listened to the others behind her smiling softly at Mei’s kind words but paused and turned towards them when Alder mentioned giants being the first children. “You have gotten yah facts mismatched Alder, saying the giants were the Oen’s first creation those monstrosities.”
Looking over to Mei who had quickly diverted the subject back to Austin’s questions arches a brow. “As the lad asked what sort of artifacts do you seek, nothing good can come of them..”

Alder looks to the boy as he once again rattled off questions, but this time Alder was slightly more prepared. He just gave the boy a wry grin, "You'll just have to wait and see now won't ya." He figured that might just make the boy more curious, but Alder was distracted by the look on Mei's face. He saw her desire to move away from speaking of Oen, as well as her immediate change of topic. Followed by Regalia's claim that he was mistaken, there was no chance he could hold his tongue. The matted, greasy hair that hung down to his shoulders appeared to bristle slightly. "Well, maybe you should get your facts straight, Miss -- uhh -- Regalia! I've devoted my entire life to the teaching's of Oen, and while His grace touches each and every one of us, his first creations were the giants. You could not possibly be so dense and secluded that you've never heard of the empire of Ostoria?" Even as Regalia and Mei moved to continue the previous conversation, Alder stepped right up into their faces to speak with an expression of excitement and passion.

Mei watched as Regalia and Alder traded a few verbal claims about Oen, which she didn't care either way who was right. "I don't care if his first children were giants, I just care what was done in his name," says Mei pushing forward ahead of the group as she mutters under her breath. "Who cares what gods think anyway."

She decided maybe making it to the Jarl's place was going to be a good thing. Maybe killing Giants had gone up on her list of things to do, and maybe she wouldn't get along with everyone they had gathered after all. 'Well I don't have to like everything about a person right?'

“What did yah just say to meh?” Regalia leans right back into Alder. Her finger pointing at him poking at his chest. “Watch who yah be callin dense. The tales of Ostoria hah, of course I’ve heard of it, every ninny from here to the south has heard the tall tales. The lies spread to skew history make it more fantastical ease the weak hearts of man who need proof to believe.”

Pulling her hand back she narrows her eyes at Alder “get in me face again and I’ll rend yah head from yah shoulders.” Alder had struck a be damned nerve she had not expected. Turning her back on him she had no more interest in the conversation as she stormed forward.

As Regalia pushes back against him, Alder found himself gripping the holy symbol around his neck instinctively before she suddenly backs off. She dares to insult him and all of his beliefs, she absolutely deserves to be called dense! And the way she implied that his faith in Oen is weak?? Oen forgive me, for the pain I am about to cause this woman for...oh, she's walking away. I probably should have come up with a witty response, or at least explained to her the facts that are available everywhere so she would not remain in the Dark.

Alder hated the way his mind and his mouth could never connect when he got angry, and he knew that he probably looked stupid. Alder shot a quick glance at the others before muttering "Sorry..." and following well behind.

Raising an eyebrow at Alder's cryptic teasing, Austin then slowed down to stand next to A.W.E. as his new companions began to argue. "Boost." Reacting to the command, A.W.E. picked Austin up and put him on his shoulders. Sitting squarely on his robotic companion, Austin observed the fight for a while before speaking in gnomish. "Seems like this is gonna be one heck of a group... I dunno, buddy. They're kinda loud . The Torayan's pretty cool, but also seemed kinda grumpy when the shifter started talking religion. Speaking of the shifter, I wanna know more about these stories he's talking about. Check your ancient knowledge databases, alright? The other lady's weird. Keep an eye out, I think something's strange with her. The tiefling's dumb but could be useful, I guess... they're usually some sorta warlock, right? That'd be awesome... Anyways. All that's to say that we've got our work cut out for us leading this herd of cattle, but if anyone can do it, its the two of us, buddy." He slapped his hand playfully on the metallic man's head in a familiar gesture. Looking down at the tiefling, Austin smirked. "Got any big religious arguments you wanna to get into, or are you alright as well?"

Following along behind the group, Puck watched in interest as the conversation suddenly rose in intensity, wearing a faint smirk as he carried Tom Snout, petting the small ceramic pig as it oinked ocassionally in his arms. The humming under his breath shifted as he muttered instead, his fingers no longer petting Tom Snout as he fiddled with his necklace, suddenly another layer of voices were available to him -- the meandering surface thoughts of his companions. Glancing towards the priest he smirked as his mind seemed to read as scripture, his smile widened as Regalia seemed in the middle of an internal rant, however when he circled to the larger person Austin was riding there was only a void. Tilting his head, concerned the ability had ended, he focused on Mei, hearing her momentary thoughts, before focusing on Austin as he realized he'd been spoken to.

Puck shook his head, "I am not the religious type at all." He patted Tom Snout, "Seems to start many arguments," he nodded to the front of the group as he walked. With a smirk as he heard Austin begin to repeat a song in his head, he added, "Amusing, how many other songs do you know? Or is that the only one?"

Mei-Lynn was glad they ultimately ended up dropping it. Continuing forward her mind drifted to her sister Yinfang, and their arguments. 'Yinfang would love arguments like this,' she thought for a moment before she felt a sudden shift in her mind. Reflexively she clamped down a shield in her mind that she had been trained to throw up when attacked via the mind. She took a moment to observe the outside force and realized it was coming from the Tiefling's direction. Mei realized it was stupid of her to let her mind wander around so carelessly. She focused back onto their mission, the meeting with the Jarl. After a moment she let out a yawn stretching an arm up over her head. 'I'll talk to the devil man later about it, no need to let everyone know.'

Austin recognized the clear signs of a mind reading spell as he watched the tiefling, waiting for a response, and his eyes widened as he recognized what was happening. Ninety nine cases of scrolls on the wall, ninety nine cases of scrolls! Take one down, cast it around, ninety eight cases of scrolls on the wall... He repeated the song in his head as he watched the tiefling glance around the party, curious for a moment if he’d hear anything from A.W.E. Finally, after he was reasonably sure the spell had ended, Austin responded, likely loud enough for everyone to hear. “I also know ‘Little Red Dragon’. So why’re ya reading everyone’s mind, guy I forget the name of? Seems kinda rude to me, but I guess it could just be a culture thing. I thought most tieflings set people on fire with their innate powers and could make darkness?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back