IC: Main Camp

Ganryu

Your Lovable Jackass GM
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)

~Home Sweet Home~

cave_background_by_nictrillos-d5t0t2m.jpg

Cool in the day, and warm at night, and most importantly, easy to defend from the endless hollows, it is where The Lost call home. Although a temporary camp, many members of the group have added homey touches to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

~Asumi Ken~

Asumi couldn't seem to run fast enough, her lungs just couldn't give her enough air to make it. Asumi had favored scouting, it gave her time to think. She'd fought lots of hollows, been injured lots of times, and run away even more times, but she'd never run into something like this. A real monster, dwarfing any she'd seen so far. And it had looked at her so.... hungrily. The look alone made her shiver, she couldn't get it out of her head. Everyone had heard its roar, she was sure, but she had to let them know about it. Part of her hoped she was just overreacting, but the footsteps of the beast didn't seem to get any quieter. She was sure it was following her, even it was slow.

The entrance their 'home' was right infront of her, she could see the rock of the cave, just a little further. Another small earthquake behind her quickened her pace even further. Asumi's foot landed on rock, and her speed sent her sprawling forward, tumbling infront of all her friends. She didn't bother getting up, too tired and out of breath, she tried to form a coherent sentence.

"Giant... hollow...."

A couple quick breathes later, Asumi pushed herself back up.

"Guys, I was patrolling the area, when this giant hollow showed up out of nowhere. It ate all the hollows out there... at once. Its headed this way. I think it's a Menos Grande."

Asumi grimaced as she prepared herself for the next part. She hated doing this.

"I'm sorry.... can someone help? My fist won't do much by themselves. I'm sorry I'm weak... "

She didn't even look at them as she asked. She wished she could have just come back and said 'killed a Menos, don't worry" instead. She hadn't even tried to fight it, just run like hell when it had shown up. She honestly didn't have any idea how strong it was. She just remembered the look in its eyes, it made her feel strange.

[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]~[/COLOR]Reilly Kusenagi[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]~[/COLOR]

The day (or night?) was like any other, and the desert continued its dispassionate existence, caring little whether he and his friends should continue struggling through life or merely waste away in its sandy dunes. Reilly spun his wedding ring absentmindedly as he sat at the cave mouth, staring out blankly. She was out there, somewhere. Maybe one day he'd find her, or she him. But the odds of that were pretty miserable, if her was honest with himself. Hoping really only seemed to make things wor-

Reilly's eyebrows furrowed. Either something was exploding, or there was a very large something coming closer to their camp. He sprang up, grabbing Nagai Tsume from where he'd laid him. Turning his head, he called back into the cave, unsure of what was happening but knowing full well one watchman wasn't going to be enough. 

"Hey!" Reilly bellowed, not bothering to hide the concern in his voice. "I think we've got company!"

Suddenly he heard a thud, and spinning around, he yanked his zanpakuto free of its scabbard. But it was just Asumi, though she seemed remarkably concerned. Reilly jumped forward to help her up, trying to put the leverage his height gave him to good use. 

"A Menos..."

The redhead's report worried him. Even if it couldn't reach into the cave, it could blast it with its Cero. No, this thing would have to be killed. They'd probably need everyo-

"I'm sorry.... can someone help? My fist won't do much by themselves. I'm sorry I'm weak... "

Hm. Reilly might have long ago ignored the Shinigami's voiced feelings of inadequacy as seeking attention if he didn't so very often feel the same of himself. Placing a friendly hand on her shoulder, he smiled. 

"Yeah right. I don't mind saying it again, Asumi: I can't think of another Shinigami who could have survived this long without their zanpakuto. You're anything but weak." Glancing around at the others around him, Reilly grimaced. "Though I guess all of us are weak compared to a Menos. Anybody got ideas?"

[SIZE= 26px]Ryuuko Chikanari[/SIZE]

Plopping down near the entrance to the cave, Ryuuko let out a slow sigh and rubbed her eyes. The eternally night sky loomed above them only adding to the dreary feel that plagued Hueco Mundo. The white haired Shinigami's zanpakutou leaned against her shoulder as she looked out at the endless desert. Over the year they'd been trapped in the home world of the Hollows everyone had grown fairly used to the occasional Hollow crying out in the distance.

But the roar that shattered the silence just a moment ago . . .

That wasn't a normal Hollow.

"I don't know about you, Reilly . . . " Ryuuko pushed herself to her feet, tucking Ketsuga into her obi. "But I've got a really bad feel about that sound." The sight of Asumi racing towards camp did little to help the feeling.

"Easy," she moved closer to Asumi as Reilly helped her back to her feet. "Just what did you see out there?"

"...this giant hollow showed up out of nowhere. It ate all the hollows out there... at once. Its headed this way. I think it's a Menos Grande."

A Menos . . .

"Well," Ryuuko looked back out at the desert, scanning for any sign of the very clear threat, "Fuck." Crystal hues moved back to the pair standing nearby. Asumi had always had a bad habit of selling herself short, ever since they found themselves stranded. "Reilly's right you know. I don't think I would have lasted a year without Ketsuga with me."

[SIZE= 14px]"Anybody got any ideas?"[/SIZE]

She shifted, alone they sure as hell wouldn't stand a chance in a fight. Everyone currently resting at camp? They had a shot but it wasn't a very pretty one. "If we had the entire group we'd stand a better chance . . . It may be best to just suppress our reiatsu and keep a sharp eye out." Ryuuko frowned looking back out at the sands, "But if it finds us our the others out on patrol, we won't have much choice but to fight."

@Ganryu@Red Thunder

Takao Fujisaki

Takao had been meditating when everything began. There wasn't a whole lot for him to do when he wasn't out on patrol, so he had taken to meditation as a means of passing the time. Perhaps one day his meditations would allow him to forget the dreary existence that was his life now. At the very least, it let him listen well to the goings on outside. He heard the noises, though at first he hoped that the terrifying roar was something they would not need to concern themselves with. But that was not to be the case. Their comrade Asumi returned to the camp, telling them of the great creature she had encountered. Takao emerged from his own space as the others consoled her. He would have said something, but he felt the others had said enough already. They didn't all need to cover her in sugary words at once.

What he did choose to speak about was their next course of action. "Whatever it is we choose to do next..." He began. "We should retain a presence at this camp. It wouldn't do to lose our home to any opportunistic creatures." Takao appeared calm and serene as always, but he did not feel it in his heart. Even he felt fear, and a Menos Grande was nothing to sneeze at. It was odd to think of this cave as their home, but it was true; there was no place in this world for them other than here, at least for the time being. After a year of living here, it may as well be their home away from home. Takao felt a growing sense of attachment to the place.

"Anyone who wants to go should follow their heart, but we need someone to stay." If everyone felt like barreling out to the aid of their patrol, Takao would take it upon himself to protect the camp. But he did not care to choose for the group, and was keen to hear any better ideas.

@Ganryu @Red Thunder @KageYuuki

Hayato was pacing. he was hungry, and yet not hungry at all. His face was contorted into an ugly look, hand to the side of his body, fingering at the red hilt of his zanpakuto. He wished that he could do more, he really did. He hated just sitting. But his head wouldnt allow him to do anything. The scar on his right eye hurt, causing him to be squinting most of the time. He hadn't slept well at all the whole time he had been here, even though the teaching "strength in numbers" that his mentor had constantly spouted rang in his ears he had to believe that. he had to. An incredioulous look spread on his face as taoko spoke.

"home? you think of this cave as home? THIS IS NOTHING LIKE HOME!"

Hayato bristled as he kept pacing, his hand on the hilt of Unmei. 

"if this is home, then what was soul scociety?!" he was angry now, the muscles under his mask tensed, causing the fabric that had always adorned his face to rip. The anxious young soul reaper ripped it off, angrily discarding it to the floor.

"if you think this is home, feel free to stay here with the hallows for the rest of your life"

@Ganryu @Red Thunder @KageYuuki @Merkurial

Hayato was growing more a nd more agitated. Being around this many hollows made his head throb. Before this all happened, he had always had a nagging internal voice, but now, it was becoming even worse. He bowed appoligetically to the female in front of him. "im so sorry..." he mumbled. "the voices have been louder...and i have barely slept this last year...they keep me awake. " he looked up at the roof of the cave, the spiral of scars around his neck showing. He forgot one of the most inportant things when he had been a wanderer...and that was how to feel pain. But suddenly it was all coming crashing down on him like a tital wave. He felt as if he was drowning, and wanted to scream.

"i just feel so lost without the clan by my side..."

@AnimeGenork

@Ganryu @Red Thunder @KageYuuki @Merkurial

Ryuuko stood silently, listening to each of the other Shinigami voice their opinions on the matter. Hayato's outburst was of little surprise, the past year had been hard on all of them. Though some members of the group were taking it better than others. But dealing with him wasn't very high on the priority list right this second.

"You're right, Takao," she finally said, blue eyes still moving between everyone gathered. "It would be unwise to completely abandon the camp." Her hand brushed Ketsuga's hilt. "I'll stay here as well, may be best to have a healer in both places if more Hollows decide to start showing up." And with the surge in energy that would happen soon, more unwanted guests showing up was a strong possibility.

"Of course if things start to take a turn for the worst out there, fire a blast from Shakkahou in the air." She turned towards Takao, "You're able to use it, right? I believe Chosi and Daisuke can also cast it. That spell's bright enough we should be able to see it from there. If I see it I'll offer what support I can." Ryuuko knew it wouldn't be much, but even if those on patrol died to the Menos chances are the beast wouldn't leave it at that.

No, the damned thing would head for them next anyway. So if things started going south . . .

She wasn't about to go down without a fight.

@Red Thunder@Ganryu@Mercurial@AnimeGenork@Miika

~Asumi Ken~

Asumi couldn't help but grimace at the praise, but all still she looked at Ryuuko and Reilly with a smile after recovering.

"Thank you, you two."

She took the chance to regain her breath and listen to everyone else's ideas. They were all right. They couldn't all go out and fight the menos, they couldn't lose their home. She thought it was weird she thought of their little rock that way when Hayato spoke. Asumi cringed at the comment, what was his problem? There was a menos outside, and Hayato's problem was Takao's using the word 'home'? How many people had died so they could even get this far? Even the captain....did he feel nothing about that? A little black stained the corner of her eye.

Kill him. ♪ It'll siiilence him ♪

Asumi looked surprised around the room to see who spoke, but couldn't see anyone. It was as if no one else had heard it either. Shaking it off, she remembered she had more important things anyways. 

"Yeah... we can't lose this place. At least for now this is my home. I know I should stay too, but I can't leave the patrol on their own though. A-and you all are strong. I just wanted to warn you all, I don't want any of you getting hurt. Guess I'll see if Hakudo works on a Menos."

Asumi stretched quickly, before heading off to the cave, leaving with a final smile.

"Make sure we have a home to come back to."

There was also the face about the Menos being here that no one had needed to say. Reiatsu attracted other hollows. Clashing Reiatsu was a beacon to them. Even if they stayed away from the Menos itself, all the hollows around were probably taking notice of their little cave at the very least. If people didn't protect the cave, it would be filled. It wasn't cowardice it was- Asumi suddenly remembered something. Cowardice...?

"Crap, Chosi's out there!"

(All spelling mistakes are intentional, read it as they sound)

"Aye... bloody shite rollin' pigs are layin' in that there cave. Bloody knew it tah, like rats, scrapin' alooong on whatevah they can find. they Coome inta mah territory thinkin' they can joost hunt and kill whatevah they please? Thoose piss stained, no-good, worthless piles of rotten bloody shit thinking they own that damn rock? Thats my bloody rock! Mine I tells yoo! No debatin' that facht I tell you, my land, may territory, my rules! And the rules say that I RULE this land and these blasted brainless,  vile, worthless, less then nothing squealing rats that dared to reach into my damned... well... given land and try and eek out a fookin' life? As worthless as it is? Without bloody givin' me anythin' out of the whole damned bloody sticking rotted diseased, puss ridden deal? Bloody damned numb headed pigs should be stuck and butchered but death'd be a damned sweet solace for the bloody worthless shite ridden maggots!" 

The man's words did not carry far enough to the base, but his eyes were watching the group below, his form just a meer speck on the horizon. His thick accent present in every word as his boney plated hands reached behind his back pulling forth a long and strange instrument, a thing that one wouldn't really think possible to even play much less wield, the whole monsterosity was larger than he, and not nearly as heavy... For he was a stout man, strong and, as he put it, ruggedly handsome. Standing 6' 10" the man stood up, his burly hair covered chest barely covered by a yellow on red plaid sash that stretched across his chest and attaching to his hip, seamlessly connecting to the rest of his sparce outfit. The same colored and patterned kilt lay just beyond, crowned by a belt with a engraved belt buckle the size of one's full hand. His form did not allow boots or footwear, his feet were taloned and covered in bony plates that made them a bastard to find boots for he'd tell you. 

His eyes a piercing blue, his hair an uncouth mess of red locks drifting down to his neck, his beard extending down to his chest, a thing of greatness with various braids and boney beads, though one in the middle had a few that were pink and colorful. His head, topped with a red berret, topped with a yellow primrose, it's feathery plume standing high like a cockatiel's crest. 

With a sniffle and a run of his arm along his nose, he brought the mouthpiece of the horn to his mouth.... 

And began to play...

A song that the shinigami have never heard before.

Of an instrument many not even think about. 

It was then.

And only then.

The roars could be heard. 

of the mass of hollows heading the cave's way. 

A horde of monsters, urged on by the man's playing, under a spell none would understand, insatiable hunger, fueled by the power of the hunting call.

They surged forth like an unending stream of death, blood, meat and bone.

headed by none, for they all rushed as one mass.... 

But what of the man beyond? The man who played the song? 

He stayed behind, letting his hounds do the hunting...  

"Nuttin' but rats, fit for nuthin' but the hounds to toy wit." He then awaited his hound's return. "That there big bastard though... might be fun to crack over the 'ead. later, once the dogs have their fuun." 

Takao Fujisaki

Takao couldn't help but let out a sigh when Hayato lost his temper. Of all the things for him to take offense to, he chose to poke at Takao's choice of words? It was reading absurdly deep into what he had said to claim he cared nothing for the Soul Society and wanted to remain with the Hollows. After being admonished by Akari, he apologised...to Akari. Apparently Takao was not due any apologies in spite of being the target of his ire. Choosing to put it out of mind, he chose to focus on the others. Asumi decided she would return to the patrol she had left behind. It was good to see she was ready to return to her comrades so quickly. Akari and Ryuuko both agreed to remain at the camp. Takao was glad to see his advice was being followed. However, Akari had gotten it in her head that he was intending to go out there himself.

"Uh, yes, I know Shakkahou..." He replied. He was no Kido expert, but he knew that one at least. "But I was planning to stay here myse-" He stopped when an unearthly noise began to sound out through the cave from outside. It sounded like music, but it was no music that Takao had ever heard before. But more concerning than the droning music was the sound of bellowing monsters growing ever closer. Takao raced outside to take a look. As far as his eyes could see, there was a swathe of Hollows charging straight for their camp, all seemingly possessed by some vicious spirit. It was as though fate had chosen to vindicate his decision to defend this place in the worst way possible.

"Everyone, we have company!" He shouted back into the cave. He sounded calm, but he was far from calm. This was the worst possible timing. Was this even a natural event? Clearing his head, Takao knew he had to fight back something fierce. Unleashing his Shikai, Takao launched himself into the air at great speed. While sailing through the air, he hurled a multitude of his javelins down into the horde of Hollows. He could only hope his assault would thin out their ranks. He would continue to leap around and rain spears upon them. He hoped that the others would be enough to prevent the Hollows from swarming the cave.

~Reilly Kusenagi~

"Crap, Chosi's out there!"

Reilly grabbed Asumi's arm. His bangs waved across his face as he shook his head in denial of what his friend plainly meant to do. The effect might have been comical had it not been for the sad expression on his face; the man very clearly wanted to go after the boy as well, but he stayed nevertheless. He bent down to better speak to her, as if he were a big brother talking to a younger. 

"Asumi, don't. None of us can help anyone else if we don't take care of ourselves first. And running back into that monster's path isn't going to save anyo-"

As the awful sound cut Takao off, it also cut off Reilly. He stood bolt upright, concern in his knitted brow as he scanned the horizon. So much was just empty sand, as it always was every time he whittled away he hours at the cave mouth. Just mile upon mile of noth- There. A merely dot against the night sky, but he'd definitely never seen it before. More than that; from over the hills that surrounded them, and even burrowing out from under the bleached sand itself, were innumerable Hollows of inifinite description. And all were headed toward their makeshift home, growling and roaring in hunger. Reilly spun to call back into the cave, but Takao was already beside him and, having seen the beasts, already calling for whatever forces they still had. The tall Shinigami smiled in spite of himself; they had heart and courage on their side, even if they were out numbered. He placed a hand on Asumi's shoulder. 

"Chosi is going to have to look after himself, for now." Glancing at Ryuuko, he chuckled with a confidence he didn't feel and pulled free Nagai Tsume from his scabbard. "I sure hope your training pays off."

@Ganryu @KageYuuki @Merkurial

Hayato gross at the sound. Then sensing many Hallows, his head started to burn. 

you could help if you let me in...

At the murmur, hat ago fell to his knees. This pressure was too much for him. He coughed, looking up l, grief filling his eyes. 

"T...Taoko I can't move...I would but..." he fought....rfought his hardest to stand and draw unmei.  His legs were quivering, but he ran as fast as he could follow the fee who were going to hold back the hoarde. 

"I'll try to help..the best...I can...'

~Asumi Ken~

Asumi turned to see something that definitely ranked up there in her list of 'things I can do without today'. She'd thought the Menos was the end of bad things happening today. Apparently the day was only getting worse.  However, Takao was reliable as ever, already attacking them from above. That at least was something bright, and made the edges of Asumi's mouth curl to a smile.

"Don't take all the hollows, Takao."

Asumi took a minute to steady herself, whispering under her breath.

"Every hollow I don't draw to me will be attacking someone else."

She turned to Reilly at least before she moved, and nodded her head.

"Thanks, I'll see you at the end, I want to see how many there are. I'll try to be safe."

And she rushed forward at the horde, her hand at stance. 

Asumi had a favored strategy when it came to dealing with hollows.. She'd use Tesshou to smack outlying hollows, and then take the defensive, avoiding their attacks, and drawing in their fire. She'd then  occassionally strike out when she saw a chance, waiting for a weakness. With her Hakudo, it normally worked out pretty well, hollows generally were base creatures, and frustrating them into weakness didn't take long. It had a little trouble with groups of 5.... or 10.... or.... It started to dawn on Asumi just how many hollows there were. She slowly worked her way to the back.

As she drew their ire, and their attacks, she was starting to realize he had less and less time to react to their attacks. There was more and more hollows the farther Asumi moved, and worst of all, there didn't seem to BE a back. It seemed odd the less time she had to react to everything, the more she noticed something in the air. Was it.... music? It didn't sound like anything she'd ever heard or danced to before. It was foreign, a sort of low buzz. She wasn't even quite sure it was music it was so bizarre. For some reason it seemed to excite her, though. Her senses took leave to the sound. It seemed to speak to her, and her heart seemed to jump at every buzz, and Asumi didn't even registered what she was doing as she actively lept at the group of hollow around her. She also didn't have time to register the incoming headbutt either.

Asumi made it back to the group the quickest way possible, a spontaneous flight trip. Catching herself in a roll, she rebounded quickly enough, finding herself by Reilly, right by where she'd started then.

Slowing to a stop, she spat out blood and shattered teeth, it looked like alot of them. She moaned.

"Think I'll take the Menos...."

Asumi worriedly licked the inside of her mouth, and was confused. All her teeth were there, and she couldn't feel any pain or source for the blood in her mouth. Was it a tooth? It was white and cracked. Come to think of it, the blow had been to her shoulder anyways. Shaking it off as nothing, she turned to Reilly. Something odd seemed to be with her eyes, a bubbling black color seemed to be receding from them.

"Reilly, I don't know if I'm going crazy or not, but I can hear music over there the farther I go in the hollows. It seemed... exciting? I think something's sending the hollows into a frenzy."

(*OOC info- that 'shattered tooth' is a hollow's mask, and not hers.)

"O-oh!" Ryuuko blinked as Takao mentioned he had intended on staying and defending the camp. "Then I misunderstood you," she rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "My mist-" the chorus of roars cut her off. The Shinigami grimaced before turning to see the horde of Hollows headed their way. "Well today just sucks," she muttered under her breath. Just about every day spent in Hueco Mundo sucked in all honesty. But the appearance of the Menos Grande and now this? That pretty much tied with the day they found themselves stranded.

Her eyes moved over to Reilly as he spoke to her, Naga Tsume already drawn. Ryuuko gave a slight snort, allowing the beginnings of a smirk to paint her lips. "Hey, it's kept your ass alive this long. I'd say it's done something for ya. Though we've got more important things at the moment." Her thumb unlocked her own weapon from its sheathe. "It's a good thing you're always thirsty," the blade of her Zanpakutou was well cared for, catching the light of the always present moon. "Because I need you to drink, Ketsuga." By now all the other Lost had likely grown accustomed to her speaking out loud to her weapon's spirit. It was a habit she'd always had when entering battle, sparring, or otherwise wielding her zanpakutou.

Ryuuko could practically feel the spirit groaning at the situation before them. "You guys have really gone and kicked the hornet's nest this time . . . Was it Emi again? Because I might just throttle her if it was."

Blue eyes flickered down at the blade for a moment. "You're in a good mood."

"Well considering what I woke up to," Ketsuga grumbled.

Standing right next to Reilly, it was easy to overhear Asumi telling him what she'd noticed after trying to figure out how many Hollows they were up against. "Music?" Her eyes narrowed as she scanned the advancing threat once again. She could have swore she saw a lone figure standing in the distance but honestly it was too small to tell for sure right then. She'd heard a few stories of Hollows growing more intelligent the stronger they became, but to be capable of commanding others like that? "Guess it was only a matter of time before we were found by one that was actually smart . . . " Ryuuko groaned.

But now really wasn't the time to stand around chatting. The faster Hollows were already much closer than she'd like them to be. Lunging forward, her blade whistled through the air as it cleanly cut though a hollow. While much faster, it seemed these were the weakest of the bunch.

Though looks could be deceiving . . .

@Red Thunder@Ganryu

~REILLY KUSENAGI~

[COLOR= rgb(0, 255, 255)]"Thanks, I'll see you at the end, I want to see how many there are. I'll try to be safe."[/COLOR]

"Asumi! Don't you-"

Like a flash she was gone, dashing off into the tidal wave of oncoming Hollows with abandon. Reilly cursed, crouching into a runner's stance to sprint off after her. But the weaponless Shinigami was back at his side almost immediately, not much worse for the wear, giving brief account of what she'd seen. And heard. Beside him, Ryuuko was preparing for the attack herself and assessing the situation herself. Shaking his head, the tall man hoisted his sword across his shoulder. 

"It would figure that Hollows would eventually become more intelligent. It just doesn't bode well for us. Or for the squads back in the Soul Society, for that matter..."

The sudden arrival of the nearest Hollows cut him short. Grinning, he charged forward, following his white haired friend as closely behind as he could manage. And he soon wished he'd released Nagai Tsume. The Hollows crowded in thickly; they were fortunately more focused on the forward movement than on the sudden appearance of a few Shinigami, so only a few turned to confront him. Reilly lashed out with his blade, severing the walking limbs from one as another bore down upon him. His fist shot out, impacting the creature's jaw and shattering it into a million white shards. Hollow blood streamed down his fist to his arm, and he paused to give it a shake before slicing up through what remained of the mask. A tiny roar, more akin to a high pitched growl, sounded behind him. Reilly spun, catching the small Hollow in its face with his open hand before slamming it into the ground. Tsume came down heavily, piercing its face and purifying it as the monster disappeared. 

And all the while that damned buzzing music played, emanating from that speck on the horizon. 

@Ganryu @KageYuuki

Another rancorous blare upon the wind, joining the fresh scent of blood.

A reverberating wave of noise echoing down upon the mass of hollows from the being standing atop the dunes. 

Another call for the hunt, but this time the hollows began not only attacking the shinigami but their own as well, blood began flying through the air like a frantic artist attempting to give color to the stark white landscape.

It almost seemed preferable to the endless suffocating white. 

But were the hollows to be weakened by such an attack upon their own? Is this a mercy? 

Nay. 

For within this bloody frenzy is the key that awoke the beast within. 

now they were blooded hounds, no meer pups. 

"The shites aren't fresh pups eh? Lets see if the swaddled lil' black wearin' guttersnipes loike this." 

@Ganryu Coming upon Asumi with a newfound rage four hollows rushed forwards, small but emblazoned with blood they rage.

Brute standard, for a sane shinigami they were child's play. 

For Asumi... 

Naught but fodder.

"MEAT!" the first roars, rushing faster then it's brothers with jaws wide open, it's mouth a pitch blackness, an empty void waiting to be filled. it's three brothers seem to be more tactics oriented within their rage, or perhaps they were simply less lost than their brother. They circled around and attempt to flank the woman, attempting to grab her limbs and pin her to the sandy ground. 

Would they find success?

@Red Thunder

For Reilly, the largest of the pack, not hardly the largest you've seen by far, but enough to cause some moderate alarm. it's hulking arms and bone plated body rushed forward much akin to how a gorilla would, it's mask a bramble of fangs and horn, perhaps it might've became something greater had it not met this foe? But does it know this, perhaps, but with the buzz of a hunting call and the rage inspired thinking is, ironically, the last thing on it's mind. 

Alas, it shall die-

But whats this? 

A rumble below his feet?

A surprise attack! A deadly maw emerging below him like a burrowing bear trap! 4 of these types of hollows came bursting up from the ground as well, each missing save for the lucky one beneath Reilly.

But would it be enough? 

@KageYuuki

The first death of the swift ones seemingly gave notice to a large mass of them. they ranged in size, but none bigger then one's waist. they were swift and blooded, ravenous for more. 

Swarming forth like angry ground based bees the  hollows surged forward, homing in with not a care for what stands within their path as they clambered over one another to reach the woman. 

Their rush to meet their ends at the end of her blade no doubt. 

Simple creatures, made even more so with the drone in the air. 

Slay them, move onto another, their blood is yours. 

@Miika

To lay worthless and beaten before the battle is fought means you are naught but easy prey, a worm to be crushed under foot.

To lose one's hope, to lose one's light, in this lands and all in creation.

It means nothing but to consign yourself to death.

3 worthless dregs rush Hayato's way.

Perhaps he'd find some worth as food for his betters?

Standing tall and watching from afar, the man stands vigilant, watching, waiting, as if he were a man assaying the worth of cattle.

His eyes upon the shinigami, perhaps, just perhaps, they might be of some worth. 

If only they were to find their beasts...

To truly let go.

They might end up actually decent huntsman. 

"Umm... mr. Cu Cuchulainn sir. Can we go home soon?" a small soft voice mumbled from behind the massive giant, a small form, barely over his waist. "Aye lass we'll be returnin' soonish now, don'tchyea worry." his hand brushing the little girl head, a happy giggle ringing from her at his touch. "thank you sir! i'm so hungry!" she chimed happily, her drum swaying slightly on it's strap. "Aye, aye... just a bit longer befer we head off." he wished to stay abit longer, perhaps call in some of his stronger hounds. But in the end, his little thing wanted home, and who was he to tell her no?

It'd take a cold hearted bastard to do that!

But hell, he didn't have one of those at all!

Just a empty hole, through and through, something he and the girl have in common.

Takao Fujisaki

One of Takao's javelins went wide and lodged itself in the shoulder of it's target. The Hollow looked set to carry on in spite of the injury, until the javelin exploded, splintering the Hollow's mask and destroying the creature. As satisfying as it was to dispatch these Hollows en masse, it was a cold comfort, as their numbers seemed endless. Takao's heart sank when he heard another blast of obnoxious music. He feared they would find themselves overwhelmed by yet another mass of Hollows. But as it happened, the Hollows began ripping into each other with the same fury they pursued the others with. Takao was just plain puzzled. Hollows weren't known to be sophisticated, but he had never heard of them turning upon each other so carelessly. This had to be the effect of the noise they could all hear. 

While Takao briefly thought their infighting might play to their advantage, it seemed they were also getting doubly ferocious. From his vantage point, he could see they were all pressing their assault harder. Just about everyone seemed to have Hollows crawling all over them. Takao wanted to help them all out, but he couldn't afford to divide his efforts, nor could he spend time being picky. He resolved to pick someone and swoop in for the assist; and he chose Asumi. He sailed over her position and aimed to hit the Hollows that were attempting to flank her. Hopefully he would make his mark and spare her from being overwhelmed. He could only hope he would either have time to move to help the others, or that they would all manage to survive on their own.

@Ganryu

~Reilly Kusenagi~

Reilly pulled his blade from the sand as the Hollow disappeared in the cleansing, spinning around just in time to see the huge Hollow approaching him. Sand flew up in clouds as the creature's fists struck the ground, and its howls of animalistic rage increased as it got closer. The Shinigami narrowed his eyes; time to wake up his lazy friend. Holding the zanpakuto high above his head, as if to bring it down in a vertical cut, Reilly yelled. 

"Slash, Nagai Tsume!"

The blade glowed and both expanded and lengthened, a deep bass roar emanating from it as it did. The guard dissolved into brown fur, and the pommel did the same. Grinning, Reilly crouched. "Come take it, big guy."

A disturbance in the ground beneath him caught his attention as four Hollows clawed their way from the sand one after the other. They seemed to be aiming for- The man jumped straight up, just missing the teeth of the fourth monster. In reaction, Reilly shoved Tsume into its head, bifurcating it easily but burying the zanpakuto a couple feet into the sand, hilt pointed up at the sky. Using it to guide his fall, the Shinigami dropped back to the ground behind his blade, trying to use it as cover to assess. But he wasn't given the time. The remaining theee smaller Hollows bore down on him, screeching and chittering. Reilly open palmed the first, catching its skull between his hands and crushing it against the naked blade. The second tried a bite as his leg, but to no effect. Reilly merely pulled back his foot and planted it neatly between the creature's eyes, shattering the mask. The final burrower was a bit more cautious. It was however apparently not as observant; it lunged for Reilly with a yelp, only to have its prey side step it's attack. The Hollow buryed its own face against Tsume, and it disappeared with a screech. Reilly grinned. Too easy

But the large Hollow's lack of speed had been to its advantage here, and it had been paying attention to the skirmish. It stepped around the zanpakuto and struck out at Reilly. And Reilly, too self congratulatory, took the full brunt of its fist to his rib cage. Pain blossomed in his side as the force shoved him several feet to the side, and he held it gingerly; some ribs were definitely broken. 

But Reilly was no push over. Yelling at the top of his lungs, he bulled rushed the creature, tackling it around its midsection and throwing it to the ground. As the beast tried to recover, Reilly raised both hands above his head in a clenched fist and brought them down with all the force he could muster onto the Hollow's mask. The tusks and thorns dug into his hands, but he ignored he additional pain. The mask cracked, slowly at first, and the monster thrashed in anguish. Growling in frustration, Reilly stood and grabbed the creature by its mask. With a mighty shove, he ground it against Tsume's vertical edge. The mask dissolved, the Hollow following after. And Reilly breathed a sigh of relief. 

"I can do this all day," he muttered, grinning, his hand cradling his broken ribs. 

@Orikanyo

The second blare of music caused hayato to double over, the voice getting more and more vicious.

IWANTTOHELPYOUIWANTTOHELPYOULETMEHELPYOUHAYATO!

The voice in his head was bounding in the front of his head, causing him not to notice the hallows coming his way. he clutched his head and staggered backwards as the first of the hallows reached him. He was still near the mouth of the cave, and struggled to hold the hallows back. Slashing at the hallow that was practically on top of him, he grazed its mask, but not enough to destroy it...

suddenly, a voice echoed in his head. The voice of his mentor.

"you are better than your weaknesses...make new memories to fill the holes you have..."

That echo made Hayato look up. He couldnt give up now. His one fully seeing eye sparked, a fire and fight back in the boy. The soul reapers he was with...This small...ragged...FAMILY was what he had, and he had to make memories with them. He cared so much....he had been lying to himself for the olast year. These were the people that he fought with. he knew he wouldnt last long with the battle going the way it was, but he decided to do it any way.

"Take from me, unmei!"  a small shockwave reverberated from the boy, knocking the three hallows surrounding him back. the zanpakuto in his hand glowed under the pale moon, the blade gleaming green. He moved fast, shattering the first hallow almost effortlessly. his mouth was drawn, his eyes sharp. "i WILL protect the people that matter..."

@Orikanyo

Ryuuko's blade effortlessly sliced through the first few of the little pests, the blood being stored within Ketsuga. "Ugh, what is that sound?" Her weapon's spirit groaned at the second round from figure's instrument. The bizarre droning stood out even among the snarls and roars of the gathered hollows. It was enough to give her a headache.

"Tch, don't know," the Shinigami's eyes narrowed as she watched the hollows begin tearing into each other before continuing their advance. "But it seems to be doing something to them." The small beasts may have been fast; even as they tripped over one another in their ravenous scramble to attack a potential meal. But these hollows were weak, and perhaps most importantly, they were dumb.

A smirk danced along Ryuuko's lips; easy blood before moving deeper into the fray.

Of course she wasn't going to be able to slip through the rabid hollows without being spotted. Already the first was upon her, lunging with a loud roar. Taller than any of the Lost, the hollow's form resembled a praying mantis. One of its bony, bladed arms barely grazed Ryuuko as she leapt back, blood beginning to trickle down her face. An incredibly minor wound compared to what they'd suffered over the course of the year. Both the shinigami and her blade paid it no mind. But leaping back had opened up more than a big enough gap. Crystal hues glared at the hollow as she focused.

[SIZE= 14px]"Ye lord! Mask of flesh and bone, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Truth and temperance, upon this sinless wall of dreams unleash but slightly the wrath of your claws. Hadou 33: Soukatsui!"[/SIZE]

The resulting blast from the spell forced the hollow to stagger back; cracks spreading along its mask like spiderwebs. A single slash from Ketsuga and the fight was over. Another hollow purified among the thousands The Lost had slain over the year they'd been trapped here. While a good way into the cluster, she wasn't close enough to really speak with the one controlling the attackers. But she could see him better.

Ryuuko paused for a moment, the one clearly responsible for that . . . could it even be considered music? He practically looked like a shinigami aside from clothing. But he felt like a hollow; a powerful one at that. So did the little one peering out from behind him at the chaos of the battle.

Of course if she was close enough to see him and the girl clearly, no doubt she was visible as well. Especially after the spell she'd used.

@Orikanyo

~Asumi Ken~

Asumi bounced back into fighting position, before a strange sound caught her attention. It was again that low buzz. The more Asumi listened to it, the more like music is sounded.

"That's ♪gooood♪"

Asumi blinked, not really sure what was going on. The hollow's went into a rage all around her, turning on themselves, in a frenzy of hunger... and then they came at the Shinigami. 4 in particular came for Asumi, one direct, 3 behind. 

With a deep breath, she drew back her foot, creating a wide stance to brace herself as it opened it's jaws. She wasn't sure of the other 3, but one thing at a time. Her whole focus went into the musi- hollow, no, into the hollow. Asumi wiped her chin as the hollow approached, almost surprised to find it wet, before blinking, and going back to the hollow. She was going to deflect it's jaw to the right, then try to strike it's neck to force it away. That would stun it enough to allow her to check on the other 3 hollows, prevent them from surrounding her from every side. She just had to plan out how she was going to fight. It was how she'd survived so far. Plan out, and defend. She gingerly took a stride forward to meet the hollow. And then she blanked.

Asumi didn't know why, or how, but she blanked. 

She blinked again, to find her arm stuck in place, and reactedly pulled back against whatever force held it in place. It was then she processed infront of her the hollow was already slain on the ground. And her hand was..... Asumi gasped, and ripped it out. A large hole straight through it's mask had killed it instantly. She looked around to see the other hollows. Takao was on them. He was as reliable as ever. And everyone else was occupied cutting down the now emboldened hollows. Which, left her alone. There could come more hollows at any time, but the biggest question was why the sudden stream of hollows in the first place? It had something to do with the music, she was sure of that much. Asumi had to stop it. She started to call out to everyone her plan, before realizing it would just attract hollows to her. Normally a good thing, this time, no, she had to find the source of the music. 

Asumi sprinted off to outside the cave, using Shunpo again to speed towards it. As she came, the more.... pleasant the music sounded? Either way, she had to take care of it quickly. 

It didn't take her too long to find the source. A man stood infront of her with a giant instrument, the likes she'd never seen before. And a little girl? They looked just like Shinigami. Looking a bit to the side, she saw she wasn't the only one with the idea. Ryuuko was there too.

"Come after the music too? If there's two of them, we can at least make this a two on two."

She then turned to the man, her palms at the ready as she slowly advanced.

"Are you the one causing the hollows to attack us?"

Cu Cuchulainn & Little Drummer Girl

It appears they cut their way to him, not bad for worthless piece of shit. 

He expected them to be more bloodied, or at least had a few of their number die. 

Still the menos around, course it wasn't his but still, perhaps it'd be luckier. 

Hmm..?

The pups were talking to him. 

So they thought they were worthy huh? 

Worthy of speaking to a arrancar such as he? 

Like a worm beseeching a god. 

"Aye, I'm the one calling thee hunt, I'll admit I'm serprised to see yea lot standing 'ere, givne the fact yer nuttin' but ragged, flea bitten, foolish no good, rotten, bloody worthless, rat faced, stumpy legs, thin skins, wailin', milk drinkin', soy faced, piss wallowin', snivelin, goat punchin, rag wearing, piss stained, courageless, flea bitten rabbit livered, stupid robe wearin, fat arsed, dumb assed idiotic, sword swattin, ass faced, back handed, two faced, slow headed, gorbellied, artless, lazy, stupid, no good, tone deaf, ugly arsed, twelve toed, sottish, pieces of worthless bloody trash." his rain of insults, long an unending made one wonder if the man once took a moment to even breath. 

The smaller person hugged close to the larger man's leg, a little thing, barely just taller than Chosi. She a dark skinned young(maybe, who knows anymore with spirits, fucking damn time and undeath shenanigans) lady, hair a curious white and cut short in a shaggy mess. a mask adorned her crown with several jang-like teeth, ending just infront of her eyes. "L-l-language Mr. Cu..." she whispered softly before causing the man to stop and grumbled slightly "Right right lass." he patted her back, almost seeming comical with the large hand patting her tiny back, but even with such a force she barely moved an inch, like he was patting a small stone statue. 

Her clothing was more similar to a burlap sack more then clothing, it was much too large for her and she seemed to have trouble with the much longer sleeves, clutching clumsily two drum sticks. Her soulful(HAH) brown eyes stared at the two shinigami before them, slight tears breaking out from them. Upon her front, strapped around her shoulder was a drum. 

"Aye, i dragged the worthless curs here." he kept his insult short for the sake of the little one. "Thooght to see if yea lot woold make some fine treats, but seems yea cut doon moost my newest foundlins. Rightly soo it seems. Yea lot might be stronger then I thought!" he laughed, his hearty chuckle echoing in the air every with the sound of battle below with the dwindling populace of the hollows. "Soo? Yea like mah playin'? Come tah see the maestro himself areyea?" 

Takao Fujisaki

It seemed they had survived the onslaught. Asumi was just fine, and the others seemed to have defeated their own attackers without the need for his help. It would only take a small effort on their part to clean up the ones that remained, and then they would be able to claim a complete victory over their enemy. However, the problem remained that there was a source to this attack, one that became increasingly evident as the horde thinned out. Asumi and others were already confronting the creature that appeared to be responsible for this massive assault on their base. From what Takao could tell, watching from afar, the puppet master was a humanoid creature, almost as though it were more man than beast. But it still retained the features of a Hollow, so Takao wagered it was still one of them. He decided to launch himself over to a spot nearby this curious Hollow and the others gathering around it. If there was a fight to be had with this creature, Takao would be poised and ready to join in. But for now, it seemed as though the beast actually cared to speak with the others. Perhaps there would be something to be gained by waiting and listening.

Having come closer, Takao spied the small, feminine individual attached to the bigger one's leg. It seemed like such a petite, harmless thing, but the mask it possessed told Takao all he needed to know. The girl was a Hollow much like the man, and Takao wouldn't hesitate to hurl a javelin through it if need be. Still, it was a curious sight to find two humanoid Hollows, each possessing unique features, and capable of speech no less. If it weren't for the fact they were trapped in this desolate pit of a world, this discovery would no doubt be of great importance to the Soul Society. As things stood, it was hardly the time to be thinking of the significance of such a discovery. Goodness only knew these two creatures might be more threatening than the Menos that yet lurked in the sands, and if not, the large one certainly seemed intent on bringing more Hollows to their location. Whether they would survive for much longer was the question that hanged in the air. 

~Reilly Kusenagi~

His fist drive upwards into a Hollow's jaw, crushing it to powder. The Hollow stepped back, crying out and flailing in pain. Pulling back his other hand, Reilly struck out with a sold cross jab, impacting the mask. It crumbled to nothing, and the beast soon followed. The Horde seemed to be thinning out, with the remainder for the most part infighting, and two, no, three of his companions had gone to speak with the whomever it was that had been driving the creatures to attack them. Even with the Shinigami outnumbering the...Hollow, he supposed, even though it was like no Hollow he'd ever seen, Reilly still felt uneasy about his comrade's safety. Mouth drawn back in a grimace, the man took hold of Tsume's hilt and gave it a tug to pull it free. 

But the blasted zanpakuto refused to budge. Reilly knew good and well it was the lazy bastard's stubbornness that was keeping him there, and not the sand in which he was buried; Tsume had once been shoved into solid rock up to the hilt, and Reilly had yanked him free from that with only a bit of effort. The broken ribs whimpered a reminder as Reilly grabbed Tsume with both hands, and he frowned. This was going to hurt. 

Leave me alone and let me sleep.

"Screw that!" the Shinigami scowled. He had the absolute worst timing. To be fair, the damn sword did seem to have an unnatural ability to recognize whether his own involvement was necessary, but Reilly would certainly have liked Tsume there as reassurance, both to him and his friends. And the damn sword wanted to rest. "Our friends are confronting some...thing over there, and I have a really bad feeling that it's not your garden variety Hollow! So how's about you get your ass in gear and come with me to back them up!"

The sword couldn't actually roll its eyes, of course. But it sure looked to Reilly like it did. 

What for? As far away as we are, with your snail-like speed, even if it wanted to hurt them, it would have done it and been long gone by the time we got there. Tsume grunted and yawned heavily. Besides, if it did want to hurt them, it'd have done it already. 

"Unless it's biding it's time and waiting for something." 

Reilly stared across the waste, trying to see in any amount of detail what it was his friends were conversing with. Tsume was right: it most likely didn't mean to hurt them itself, since it hadn't done so already. Based on its actions with that ear splitting noise it'd been making, it probably didn't like getting its hands dirty. All the same, a cornered animal will do things against its nature in self defense. And, too, at this distance, neither Reilly nor Tsume could say for sure that it was alone. Grinning, he looked back down at his zanpakuto. 

"Besides, what if there's a fight, and he's strong?" Immediately he could feel his friend's excitement at the thought, his habitual laziness at war with his desire to fight a strong opponent. "Do you really wanna chance missing that?"

We've been here so long, and we still haven't fought anything really dangerous. It would be fun... The zanpakuto hesitated. Very well; let's go check on your comrades. 

"Let's." 

Ripping Nagai Tsume free from its sandy tomb, Reilly hefted it in his hand. With a Hah! of enthusiasm, he placed the flat of the blade on his shoulder and began sprinting for the others in the distance. 

@Merkurial @Orikanyo @Ganryu @KageYuuki

Users who are viewing this thread