I want to start a roleplay, but I am whole new level of inexperienced

Pandacorn

Just a potato with legs
I am just going to lay everything bare right here and right now. Sorry if it seems overwhelming. I just have so many questions and UGH. I needs all the helps.

Here is what I have created for the roleplay, so far:

Beasts of Our Own Creation

newcreate.php

DsGVR7A.png

Hunters are tasked with protecting our world from the constant threat of Daemons they are considered super-powered, something of a commodity among normal humans, but still a minority in the bigger picture. Where Daemons hail from is unknown, and for the most part their plans for humanity are yet to be revealed as they continue to threaten our livelihood. Some centuries ago, an Academy was established in the utopia known as Anthemia, a titanic, technological metropolis that is seen as the very pinnacle of human achievement, this academy would cater to the humans who have found themselves imbued with the energy known as magic, or skilled in physical combat. As time moved forward, and the Daemons grew in strength with their presence, warriors were needed more than ever. After the fall of the great metropolis known as Aeralis some years ago, a child wanting to become a Hunter was the norm. Despite all of our differences, there was one thing humanity would unite together for; the prevention of our own extinction.

Though, you can't always trust the ways in which leaders decide to be rid of a problem, especially not something as complex as Daemons. Hunters are seemingly manipulated into believing that the that the leaders of their cities are simply putting their best interests forth, of course tantalizing information and classified secrets seem abound, and as Hunters turn more and more into pawns of their supposedly trustworthy generals and politicians, it becomes evident that things are not always what they appear to be. You are a young student of Anthemia, no matter your skills you will be taken on a journey far beyond that of the pristine school grounds.

no slide
no slide no slide no slide

Planet of Kreonia
Astoria Castle : Anthemia Academy
Astoria Castle : Anthemia Academy
tvEpGg2.png
The Academy exists in conjunction with the City, it is one of the many reasons why humans migrate to Anthemia. It floats above the city like a celestial body around the metropolis, forever in service to the people of Anthemia. It trains youth from the ages of 15-20, the last year being completely optional, after which most students become part of the law enforcement, army, or scouting legion. Some are talented enough to become celebrities in the pop culture of Anthemia's city. The school is sometimes notorious for breeding students who believe they are owed more by the common populace for their services, but for the most part the model graduate from Anthemia is honorable, brave, and self-sacrificial. Remember though, that they don't always start that way.X

X

X

X

Anima : The Sky City
Anima : The Sky City
hm8QLI5.png

Anima, the sky city travels around the terrain of Kreonia, established as a dominion for society's best, they have isolated themselves, carrying the stagnating belief that their technology and ideas are the only ones worth listening to. Those disenfranchised with what the city could have been have left, as a result the city itself shrunk, and is close to suffocating due to the ignorance of its leaders. Regardless, students that hail from this city tend to be quite intelligent, and has made up many of the valedictorians from recent years at the Academy. Anima is also known as the birth-state of Air elemental magic, therefore natives of Anima are rather adept at it. The city is luckily able to avoid the sieges of the Azari, and have even created technology to combat their presence, and keep them away from the closest metropolis, Anthemia. They don't seem arsed enough to come down from their sky fortress anytime soon though, unfortunately.X

X

X

X

X

Terrasis : The Divine Sanctum
Terrasis : The Divine Sanctum
tvEpGg2.png
Terrasis exists simply because a small, but strong religious movement is under the belief that the Daemons are created from humanities general malevolence. They preach a society that must not harm the balance of nature and to relinquish their 'Earthly Tether'. What that means is rather unknown to the believers but it is said to come at a divine moment in a mortal's life. The location of Terrasis exists in a hidden place away from the corrupting presence of the Daemons, the people live a vegetarian lifestyle and gave birth to the style of Nature Magic, which allows them to control flora, and fauna to their will. The inhabitants are typically pacifists and believe their way of life to be essential to defeating the hordes of Daemons that threaten the planet. Suffice to say, none of the other countries or nations have the ear to listen to such wish-wash as they call it. Regardless, Terrans continue to advocate their ways. Students from Terrasis tend to make the best medics, and holy magic users, they can also make good archers and hunters (for those who aren't vegetarians.) Anthemia commences trade with the nation of Terrasis for produce and other foods, and they maintain good relations as far as anyone knows.

Kozamu : The Last Stead
Kozamu : The Last Stead
ydv7KTi.png
Kozamu has a rather unique culture, in that it derives from one of the few cultures that has survived the erasure of time. We would see it as Oriental, and so it shall be named. They exist where the moon rises highest, and sets at the end of the day, much like Aeralis once was they are still active in the fight against the Daemons and have come out somewhat unscathed, save for the fact that most of the population are trained as soldiers and nothing else, this problem has become so virulent that many denizens of the city have moved to places like Anthemia to avoid the war culture and craft a better life for their children. The people of Kozamu are strong in the arts of Summoning, and have a particular penchant and mastery for martial arts. It is also here that Fire Magic was created. The towers of Kozamu are stacked with dilapidated buildings, and the generals seem to be the only ones allowed to live in better furnishings, causing turbulent affairs on the obvious classicism between the regular soldier and their leaders. Some travel to Kozamu to become mercenaries, or to actively fight against the Daemon invasion. The Scouting Legion of Anthemia is always active here, and try to recruit new members there and back home.

Ura : The Desert Wastes
Ura : The Desert Wastes
tvEpGg2.png
Ura is where all the reprehensible members of society typically end up, some of the most hardened criminals known to mankind exists in the prisons of Ura, though beyond that the people who originate there are a humble people, whose talents lie in Scholarly/Medium pursuits, and they have mastered the art of Earthly magic, or magic that can control the minerals from the Earth. Much like the denizens of Kozamu they are also relatively skilled, if not equal to them when it comes to Summoning. Ura is a large desert, which many have to think of as the ends of the world, or at least as far a humanity has discovered, most find the weather too treacherous to travel to the land, but there is said to be hidden riches in the sands of the nation buried by humans of the past, though most of the discoveries there have been purely educational, it is rare for even the natives of this land to come across artifacts that could make them very well off. The people of Ura are typically of the nomadic type and move from place to place, or wherever water is available, though there are some very prominent towns, and cities in the desert depending on where you might be.

Leviathan : The Aquatic Stronghold
Leviathan : The Aquatic Stronghold
d7a1ROj.png
The people of Leviathan live in a city that mostly exists underwater, as such they have a natural protection against Daemons since they don't seem keen enough or interested enough to travel the oceans of Kreonia to their Stronghold. The people of Leviathan are adept at Water based magic, ad are known to have the unique ability to swim under the water for extended periods of time. Here, considering it's distance from land, dead, or alive Daemons are transported here to be experimented on to further humanity's knowledge on this strange and aggressive species. While this would seem ideal it would appear that the government of Leviathan conceals some of the results of said experiments, and is indeed hiding something from even it's general populace, what that information may be is quite tantalizing to the other cities/nations of Kreonia. The scholars of Leviathan are said to frequently collaborate with the scholars of Anima to create technology specific enough to combat the Daemons. Leviathan is also well known to have created many of the airship technologies present in society , and especially prevalent to Anthemia.

Aeralis : The Fallen City
Aeralis : The Fallen City
oRRMDCp.png
Aeralis is what everyone refers to when they think of the possible extinction of mankind, it exists as a testament to the fall of a great city that was not too dissimilar from Anthemia itself, the difference between Anthemia's success and Aeralis' unfortunate downfall is that Aeralis attempted to tamper with untested technology to be rid of the Daemons years ago, a struggle that ended with the city and the majority of it's population decimated by what is known by the first Siege by the Daemons, which left the city irradiated, and it's infrastructure dilapidated. Hardly anyone ever stays there long enough since the city is just seen as a large slum, with nothing going for the people who now inhabit there. Most parents scrape by and make enough money to send their children to Anthemia, and hope that their talents may not only bring them wealth, but take them away from the drab, and abysmal life in the ruins of Aeralis.X

X

X

X

X

X

X

Available Classes

ZPcsHZe.png

Hunter Classes

• I08RR7J.png

PRIMARY CLASS

Slayers use physical prowess when it comes to their natural abilities

They can use nearly any weapon, but sacrifice this for the ability to cast energy or elemental magicks like Exorcists do, though they can cast the magicks associated with the secondary classes. The variety of weapons that Slayers are capable of using is enormous and constantly growing year by year, day by day. From swords, to spears, to bow and arrows, to automatic weapons, Slayers use whatever weapon convenient to get the job done. They outnumber the rest of the primary classes by far, since it is the easiest to be trained in. Most Slayers are bonded to one specific weapon for the rest of their lives, and when it comes to defending their cities, they are usually at the front lines. They are typically physically overwhelming in comparison to the other primaries, and even if it is technically the easiest to be trained in, it takes the longest to become a master in the field and recognized. Slayers are comprised of all types of archetypes of combatant. Snipers, rouges, swordsmen, mercenary, martial artists, and long rangers. Anyone who uses a weapon is welcome here.
Rules

newcreate.php

• Hope you got the gist of it! Some important things, when you make a character and you start to choose their weapons, familiars, and magick, a Primary class is what your character is mainly talented in, while a secondary is something to add on top of it. Instead of the two being completely separate entities, So you can have a Medic as your Primary, but your Secondary as a Summoner. You can mix and match all of these to create a balance or specialize your character and choose only one. Choosing only one Primary, or one Secondary to specialize in is usually a marker for someone who wants to be focused, or just isn't adept enough at other classes. It's really all at your discretion when it comes to creation.

• I kept some things vague for the sake of plot, also the locations used above for the world of Kreonia will expand as the plot goes on to give you a hint as to what might happen.

• I'm looking for literate players, people who can write at least a paragraph, and has some decent grammar.

• Of course, we can't forget one of the
golden rules of roleplaying. No Metagaming, Powerplaying, or Godmodding (Only I can really do that, but only for plot purposes.). Also if someone's character is going to be killed by your(s) please ask the owner's permission.

• The other
golden rule is that I will not be accepting overpowered characters of any kind, though mind you that our characters will likely be more powerful than any normal students, though I welcome those who decide to handicap their characters in some way.

• The age limit will be set at 18-20 for our characters since we're of the graduating class.

• Romance, rivalries, allying and the like are greatly encouraged, and I hope this is frequent enough to spice up the roleplay. I might open a relationship sheet thread if there is interest. Is that a thing on this website?

• Players are only allowed to have a maximum of 3 characters. I don't think that will be the norm though.

• Let's try to keep the gender ratios at least somewhat even, not so good to have this be filled with one gender and lacking in the other.

• Later on, we will be collaborating on posts together. Mainly during the battle scenes and and such, but I am not against collaboration on other posts as well.

• Reservations for characters should note the gender of the character and their Class type, it's not required that you announce or reserve anything but if you want to let others know what you're going for it is suggested.

Please, if you choose to join, try to have some dedication to what we're doing here, if you cannot continue, please alert me and don't settle on being absent or just plain unresponsive, if I send you a message asking you where you've been or if you plan to post or finish your character(s), and you do not answer, I WILL kick your character(s) from the roleplay. I'd suggest that taking one character is preferable, since two might be detrimental to the plot of this roleplay if you decide to leave.

• Most of all, enjoy yourself, this is a roleplay, relax, take it easy, and remember that you do this for fun! I only ask that you post at least twice a week especially if your presence is needed plot wise.

• Is this enough to post for an Interest check and Overview?

• What does a Co-GM do? Are they just someone who keeps the GM on task, so that the GM does not turn out to be the one who lets the RP die? Are they there to bounce ideas off of, and help with the expansion of the world? If so, I probably need one.

• I am having trouble creating the character sheet. Not the coding, actually, I am horrendous at coding, I need help with that too, but later. I am conflicted on what to add to the sheet. The basics of course. Since the characters are supposed to be students who are graduating soon, they all know each other from years of school together. I understand that some roleplayers are turned off by writing histories and personalities. Personally, I love them. I was thinking that maybe I should have the roleplayers write only the very basic of both. The essentials that their peers are expected to know. Then, in private after the characters are established, they can plot relationships together. Giving each other more details on their character. Does that sound reasonable?

• Are relationship threads a thing here?

• I am so sorry this is so ugly and disorganized!
Cries

• Someone should probably look over my coding and fix those two weird little white lines under the first accordion thingy. AND put the rules under a little accordion.

• Are my rules easy to understand? Am I asking too much? Did they sound harsh? I always feel like people perceive me as austere over the internet. I swear I am not. I am the most skittish 16 yr old in real life.

• I need help fleshing out the combat system since there is going to be a lot of fighting. There will not be a lot of fighting each other, but common enemies. Unless of course, your characters just can not stand each other. I was thinking about doing collaborated posts. I have no idea about the dice system.

• Is asking for a mainly even gender ratio, asking for a lot? Does it sound rude? I mean I do not really need it I guess. I could totally deal with a group of 15 girls going to war. That reminds me of an anime.

• I feel like I need to establish the plot in a more concrete manner. I have a few ideas for the direction of the roleplay, but I am not totally sure.

• Should a GM finalize everything about said universe that they have created and put it all in the thread in the beginning? Like, all of the NPCs, settings, lore, etc... Would that make it easier for the roleplayers? Should I sprinkle it in over the course of the roleplay?

• I definitely had more questions. I just can not remember them at the moment.

• If I label my roleplay as Detailed, what is the criteria I should be looking for in an average post? 'Cause I have seen an awful lot of posts of various levels in so called, Detailed, roleplays.

• Is it wrong to reject someone based on their writing ability and quality if you feel like they will bring down the rest of the roleplay? Or, was it rude of them to join when they know they are not up to par? I remember that when I was just beginning to roleplay I used to be terrified to join roleplays for that exact reason, maybe it was just me. Should they be able to join, and work to increase their abilities during the roleplay?

Last edited by a moderator:
• Is this enough to post for an Interest check and Overview?

Easily, I've seen successful rps started on much less. It look good!

• What does a Co-GM do? Are they just someone who keeps the GM on task, so that the GM does not turn out to be the one who lets the RP die? Are they there to bounce ideas off of, and help with the expansion of the world? If so, I probably need one.

I co-gm is basically whatever you want them to be. Someone to reduce the burden of gm-ing on you. If it's your rp, they have as much authority as you give them, they help you with ideas, they make judgment calls when you're not around, etc. etc. You probably want to talk to your co-gm about their role before you start though.

• I am having trouble creating the character sheet. Not the coding, actually, I am horrendous at coding, I need help with that too, but later. I am conflicted on what to add to the sheet. The basics of course. Since the characters are supposed to be students who are graduating soon, they all know each other from years of school together. I understand that some roleplayers are turned off by writing histories and personalities. Personally, I love them. I was thinking that maybe I should have the roleplayers write only the very basic of both. The essentials that their peers are expected to know. Then, in private after the characters are established, they can plot relationships together. Giving each other more details on their character. Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, that sounds reasonable. It's your rp, you can do what you want. Just know that a certain level of detail/simplicity will attract different types of rpers. Plan accordingly.

• Are relationship threads a thing here?

Not specifically, but if you wanted to create separate tabs in your rp for relationship rping, etc, I don't see why you couldn't. It might just be more work to moderate.

• I am so sorry this is so ugly and disorganized! Cries

This is way more than I can do. If this is an early attempt I'm extremely impressed.

• Someone should probably look over my coding and fix those two weird little white lines under the first accordion thingy. AND put the rules under a little accordion.

For this, I would find a BBC code helper around and ask one of them to give you a hand.

• Are my rules easy to understand? Am I asking too much? Did they sound harsh? I always feel like people perceive me as austere over the internet. I swear I am not. I am the most skittish 16 yr old in real life.

Hahaha, don't stress yourself. Those roles are very fair and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

• I need help fleshing out the combat system since there is going to be a lot of fighting. There will not be a lot of fighting each other, but common enemies. Unless of course, your characters just can not stand each other. I was thinking about doing collaborated posts. I have no idea about the dice system.

You might want to post a whole separate thread for this. That's a big topic for one question in a list.

• Is asking for a mainly even gender ratio, asking for a lot? Does it sound rude? I mean I do not really need it I guess. I could totally deal with a group of 15 girls going to war. That reminds me of an anime.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's your rp. Just know that restricting gender might alienate certain players if the slots for that gender run out.

• I feel like I need to establish the plot in a more concrete manner. I have a few ideas for the direction of the roleplay, but I am not totally sure.

Get to plotting! The only way to get this one done is to get to work, haha.

• Should a GM finalize everything about said universe that they have created and put it all in the thread in the beginning? Like, all of the NPCs, settings, lore, etc... Would that make it easier for the roleplayers? Should I sprinkle it in over the course of the roleplay?

Obviously you want to have an idea of what you're doing, but you can never plan everything ahead. That would drive you insane. Just breath, start with what you think you need and plan as you go. Often times you will find that things change. Just try not to be too wishy-washy. You don't want to let players hi-jack your world.

• I definitely had more questions. I just can not remember them at the moment.

*deep breaths*

• If I label my roleplay as Detailed, what is the criteria I should be looking for in an average post? 'Cause I have seen an awful lot of posts of various levels in so called, Detailed, roleplays.

Detailed is typically going to be a 4-5ish sentence paragraph minimum. The definitions are flexible. It's really what you want. You don't have to be restricted by a tag. Detailed also means that you're looking for more description, internal content, etc. I wouldn't worry about the tag so much as being specific with your players as to your personal expectations.

• Is it wrong to reject someone based on their writing ability and quality if you feel like they will bring down the rest of the roleplay? Or, was it rude of them to join when they know they are not up to par? I remember that when I was just beginning to roleplay I used to be terrified to join roleplays for that exact reason, maybe it was just me. Should they be able to join, and work to increase their abilities during the roleplay?

You might be able to to curb this by asking for a writing sample. That way you have an idea of where they're at before they start. It's alright to ask your players to step up their game (if its obvious that they're not trying) but I would always do it in private and reserve the right to ask them to leave if they just don't want to change. (Make sure you're not being a jerk though.) There's a difference between encouraging a higher quality of writing and just being a writing-nazi.

mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/24638-pandacorn/ said:
@Pandacorn[/URL]
Hey! Your accordion coding is messing with your thread look. Do you want me to help you fix your coding?

PUH-LEASE! I had no idea what I was doing. I saw a really nice tutorial and tried to follow it but as you can see that did not work out well.

I will send you the code in a private message.

@Tronethiel, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. It means a lot. And thank you also for the kind words. This is not my first roleplay, but it is the first one I am going to take seriously. I just do not want it to crash and burn. I have heard of those rare roleplays that go on until the absolute end.

For a combat system you could consider a dice game to make things fair and prevent a character never getting hurt/always winning every fight.

A lot of people might be scared to use dice though but if it's just for combat I don't think you'd have to label it as a dice game lol

There are a dice systems out there that are easy to learn like Fate (completely free btw), Apocalypse World and narrative games like Fiasco.

@zanarkand; Okay, I will consider using dice. I have time this weekend to read up on how to use them.

*Does anyone have any tips on how to find a Co-GM? Do I put that I am searching in a specific thread? Like OnexOne?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back