I need to get my rp skills back up

Leo Radomir

Seven Thousand Club
There was a time when I used to be able to write loads on reg basis but it's been so long that I now struggle unless in creative overload mode.

When you finish your characters are you always madly in love with them? Do you always have an arc for them in mind & a goal that you desperately want them to achieve, or are you relying on your GM for all of your direction?

It depends on the char to be honest I don't play dice games online but I do play 5ed D&D in rl and the team does do side missions but our main goal is to stop the dragon queen from rising.

I'm going through the same thing right now for online, but the only thing that helped me was reading and forcing myself to write, regardless of the block. I am only now starting to get back on the horse and flesh things out again. Reading does help though, posts and books.

The block in rl rps just comes from relaxing and having a laugh. Don't think in the box, trying and be as wild as possible. Is there a squirrel over there who turns stuff to gold when touching it? yes? Good, throw a rock at it. Who cares if the wild hunt is called! its part of the fun.

In other words, in rl, be the dude who pokes the bear. Bait fate and give yourself as many downsides to your character as physically possible. Kleptomaniac + clumsy is a fun one when playing a thief :P

Or become distinctly average-man, who is alright at everything but can't crit anything either. Or a character who is simply out of their depth.

We recently had a pathfinder game which focused on two gnomes who publish a magazine about inns, rating them. It was called 'The inns and outs'. I know. Punstaic.

The adventure didn't call for it, in fact we needed fighters but we went against that, because its fun to play by the rules, but hey, why not make life hard? We ended up, largely, as a band of low level bards, a thief who loved to cook and a single fighter who was hemophobic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice to you would be to try and make riskier characters. Sometimes whenever I'm creating a character I'm worried about whether or not the GM will accept it or not. I've learned to simply stop worrying about it and take risks whenever I make a character. Sometimes I just stare at my keyboard and type, completely ignoring what's on the page in front of me. Either that or I'd watch a video on my phone while I'm typing to take my mind off of the writing, as I've learned that one of the main causes of writers block is simply over thinking too much. After I'm done with that, I go back and fix any typos I make (which is rare that I make any, since I can usually tell when I make a mistake simply because I'm staring at the keyboard the entire time).

Just relax and have fun with the characters you're creating. I trying to relearn the fun I had with roleplay during my earlier years of it and write for myself rather than for the GM or anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back