Experiences I Can't Write Anymore: A Thread

ChillyTiger

queen of prose and coffee
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I'm not sure where to put this other than this site; I don't know of anywhere else where there are so many roleplayers who have as many shared experiences as here. I've tried talking about this to others, but they either don't write and don't understand or, in most cases, they can only offer surface-level condolences. Not their fault, but I'm still stuck with the same problem.

And, as the title says - I can't write anymore.

Everyone says that you shouldn't care what others say about your writing, and I agree with them. Write because you like it. Write what you want, and have fun with it. Unfortunately, that's what I did. I started a roleplay with someone I'm still involved with, and I cared so much about that roleplay that I nearly obsessed over it - my characters, the world, tiny little details that would only be fun for the two of us - you know the stuff. Everyone's had a roleplay or two like that before. Essentially, I cared a lot about this roleplay. And I cared about my partner as well. I was cranking out several posts a day, and 90% of our OOC chat messages were notifications that each other had posted (and we talked nearly constantly). It was perfect.

Then one day I start struggling with my posts. It wasn't anything to do with this, I was just having issues with the scene we were in and trying to figure out what my character might do without self-inserting by default too much (something I was really trying to work on at the time). I wrote out an entire post in the span of a few hours as opposed to my usual few minutes and went to bed relieved. That night, though, I decided I really didn't like how I'd written my character's actions and decided to go into our Google Doc where we were playing and change the events before my partner saw the post the next morning. Luckily, I finished the changes before they noticed and went to bed happy. After they responded and the scene had progressed, I asked them for feedback about the post in question to see what they thought about what I'd written. I don't remember what the feedback was now, but I assume it was along the lines of "fine" or "good", because I then jokingly told them about the version I might've posted had I not decided to change it (it was "jokingly" because I often unfortunately make jokes about myself so if others bring me down about it, I sort of beat them to the punch). That didn't work this time. Once they read through my description, they admitted that they were glad I had it changed to how it was currently, because if I had posted what I had originally intended, they would have quit the roleplay.

And I sort of just...shut down. Originally it was responded to with a "haha, yeah, good thing I changed it" type of outlook, but I think it had a much bigger effect than that. I'm kind of going through it as I'm writing this. It wasn't just because they wouldn't have liked what I posted. It has nothing to do with receiving "negative" feedback, or critiques, or finding out that what I would have written might actually have been not as good as what I did write. I completely would have agreed (and still do) if that were the case. It was because my entire "writing career", I've been told that I should write what I wanted to write, and not write for anyone else, and I found out in two seconds that what I thought was good and fine and okay enough to continue with was inherently so bad that it would have made someone quit our roleplay entirely - a roleplay that again, we both loved to write and make little details for. It changed my entire outlook on my writing. Now, everything I write seems bad. I no longer ask for feedback from anyone because I'm terrified that it'll be the same result. I tried at some points to help fix this issue and while I would often get positive criticism, it's really, really hard to believe them. I'm going to leave my anxious overthinking out of this equation, because I'm sure plenty of people know what those thoughts can be and this post will end up being longer than anything I've managed to write in the last few months, but it isn't easy to accept.

And now, I can't write. I'm in three different roleplays, all of which are stalled because of me and this issue. I want to write, I have the desire to write, and I have ideas for plots, characters, scenes, etc. But when I sit down to write and I actually have to type words, I can't. I lock up. I freeze. I get this sick, heavy feeling in my stomach like I'm dreading even having to read my own writing, because it obviously can't be good. I tear myself apart before I even begin. I want so badly for the words to already be written, but I can never get started for long before holding the backspace and starting from square one. And if I do manage to get a post out, I read it over and over again obsessively, changing punctuation marks and wording and sentence structure long after my partner(s) have already read it and responded. And I hate it all the same. I think of about a million different reasons why it's bad and could be better, and how everyone else's work is perfect in comparison to mine, but I can never bring myself to actually rewrite anything because I don't have the skill to do it. I'll just sit there, with a blank screen ahead of me and a million ideas in my head, and nothing will happen. I'll get anxious, I'll panic, I'll self-criticize to the point of my own destruction, and then I'll close the tab or the server and just find something non-writing related to do.

I've only ever told one person about this before. She was kind, and supportive, but she doesn't write, and therefore can't offer me much more advice than the same, good old, "Write what YOU want to write, not for anyone else". I love the quote "A first draft is always perfect, because all it has to do is exist" - and that's true. But roleplays are entirely first drafts. Entirely. In my experience, you don't really get to go back and change them. So my posts have to be perfect on the first try - and, I can't trust myself to believe me or anyone else that they're good in quality, because apparently what I think is good has the ability to be so bad that it makes some people quit beloved roleplays upon reading them.

I'm sorry for rambling on for so long. Honestly, this was the most coherent and confident I've been writing anything in a long time. I'm reaching out for advice, or just for people who write to let me know they understand. Sharing an experience like this would honestly make me feel a ton better, because I'd know I wasn't alone. But if you can help, or think you can, please do, it's welcome. My roleplays are dying. My passion for writing is fading. I think about quitting 20 times a day and the only reason I don't is because I love my ideas and I would absolutely hate to let my partners down.

At the very least, thank you for listening.

~ Chilly

Uh, that is... a lot. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I empathize with you. Feeling like this about your writing fucking sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I kinda know what it's like to obsess to this extent, given I have OCD and that is what we, OCD people, do.

That said, I think you just cared too much about someone who didn't deserve it. Like, hello? They would have quit a roleplay over a single post they didn't like? A roleplay that was this active and beloved??? I'm sorry, that seems unhinged. The normal reaction is to TELL your partner and ask them to change it, which... in turn means that roleplays do actually have first drafts. You can always edit stuff if your writing buddy doesn't like something to this extent, they just have to communicate it. So, my advice is to cultivate open, honest relationships with your writing partners. You shouldn't have to worry about things "not being perfect" when they really don't have to be! Again, I am sorry about your bad experience -- but I think it was a problem with that specific person that wouldn't have emerged at all had it been someone with a more mature approach. And I know it sucks losing a friend you loved writing with, but there are so many writers on this site, you are all but guaranteed to find someone you like the same way or even more. You just... have to keep trying.

Uh, that is... a lot. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I empathize with you. Feeling like this about your writing fucking sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I kinda know what it's like to obsess to this extent, given I have OCD and that is what we, OCD people, do.

That said, I think you just cared too much about someone who didn't deserve it. Like, hello? They would have quit a roleplay over a single post they didn't like? A roleplay that was this active and beloved??? I'm sorry, that seems unhinged. The normal reaction is to TELL your partner and ask them to change it, which... in turn means that roleplays do actually have first drafts. You can always edit stuff if your writing buddy doesn't like something to this extent, they just have to communicate it. So, my advice is to cultivate open, honest relationships with your writing partners. You shouldn't have to worry about things "not being perfect" when they really don't have to be! Again, I am sorry about your bad experience -- but I think it was a problem with that specific person that wouldn't have emerged at all had it been someone with a more mature approach. And I know it sucks losing a friend you loved writing with, but there are so many writers on this site, you are all but guaranteed to find someone you like the same way or even more. You just... have to keep trying.
It really means a lot that you answered, but also that you understand. It's really validating I think to hear that it might be an issue with the partner, because I've felt too guilty to let myself think the same thing. I really appreciate you.

It really means a lot that you answered, but also that you understand. It's really validating I think to hear that it might be an issue with the partner, because I've felt too guilty to let myself think the same thing. I really appreciate you.
No problem! Sometimes, you do need that outside perspective and I'm sure just about anyone would agree that throwing a tantrum over one (1) post just... isn't a good look, lol. (Unless it was a joke, which I'm sure you would have grasped?) Either way, good luck with your future endeavors! Re: that "write what you want" thing, I think that's absolutely true, but it's also true that you need the right kind of partner to appreciate it. It's just a matter of finding them and, sometimes, that can be a bit of a process :)

i echo syntra's thoughts on the partner who made that comment, just to add a plus one to the people who agree with that perspective!

otherwise, i think i've felt very similar to you many times in the past— i wouldn't consider myself bad at writing, but there have been many times that i've posted something i know i'm not happy with, but know, also, that i wouldn't be able to do anything better at that point in time (give-uppance, if you will). that said, it's often i go back to read it weeks or months later that i find i don't feel so bad about it anymore, with two main thoughts usually: "it would've been a little nicer if i had written it this way instead", or "it's really not that bad of a post! i didn't remember doing so, but this line is actually pretty nice." we're often our harshest critiques, and taking a step away usually helps to clear my mind and provide a fresh perspective (this goes towards any creative process, ngl!) you could try this with some of the stuff you've written a while ago, because it might be easier to pretend it's something someone else has written!

it's also helped me a lot to switch my mindset from "i have to be good" to "i'm getting better everyday", to the point that when i read the posts of my partners (all of which who have writing styles i really admire) or works of other authors, i'm not quite as fixated on comparison as much as how i can improve my own writing based on what i like about theirs! in all honesty, finding partners who are good writers and very sweet people has helped, even if i don't really express such thoughts to them usually. it's more like... having fun with them that makes me want to improve?

either way, i'd honestly advise you to take a break if you find yourself dreading writing. at the end of the day, it's a hobby! i feel like it'd be better if you came back in a better headspace, both for you and your partners. especially in rpn, i think feeling the responsibility to stay on is good, but if it's making you feel this upset you shouldn't worry too much about letting your partners down. if you'd rather stay just because you still feel a craving to see your ideas written out, you could consider doing a change in format, if you're able to find a friend or partner to assist! you could do shorter posts (more first draft-y, but way less to obsess over) with a setting or dynamic you really enjoy, and just let loose with it!

sorry if this was a little long, i think i rambled quite a bit (/▿\ )! but at the very least, i hope it comforts you to know you're not alone in feeling this way!

i echo syntra's thoughts on the partner who made that comment, just to add a plus one to the people who agree with that perspective!

otherwise, i think i've felt very similar to you many times in the past— i wouldn't consider myself bad at writing, but there have been many times that i've posted something i know i'm not happy with, but know, also, that i wouldn't be able to do anything better at that point in time (give-uppance, if you will). that said, it's often i go back to read it weeks or months later that i find i don't feel so bad about it anymore, with two main thoughts usually: "it would've been a little nicer if i had written it this way instead", or "it's really not that bad of a post! i didn't remember doing so, but this line is actually pretty nice." we're often our harshest critiques, and taking a step away usually helps to clear my mind and provide a fresh perspective (this goes towards any creative process, ngl!) you could try this with some of the stuff you've written a while ago, because it might be easier to pretend it's something someone else has written!

it's also helped me a lot to switch my mindset from "i have to be good" to "i'm getting better everyday", to the point that when i read the posts of my partners (all of which who have writing styles i really admire) or works of other authors, i'm not quite as fixated on comparison as much as how i can improve my own writing based on what i like about theirs! in all honesty, finding partners who are good writers and very sweet people has helped, even if i don't really express such thoughts to them usually. it's more like... having fun with them that makes me want to improve?

either way, i'd honestly advise you to take a break if you find yourself dreading writing. at the end of the day, it's a hobby! i feel like it'd be better if you came back in a better headspace, both for you and your partners. especially in rpn, i think feeling the responsibility to stay on is good, but if it's making you feel this upset you shouldn't worry too much about letting your partners down. if you'd rather stay just because you still feel a craving to see your ideas written out, you could consider doing a change in format, if you're able to find a friend or partner to assist! you could do shorter posts (more first draft-y, but way less to obsess over) with a setting or dynamic you really enjoy, and just let loose with it!

sorry if this was a little long, i think i rambled quite a bit (/▿\ )! but at the very least, i hope it comforts you to know you're not alone in feeling this way!
No, it wasn't too long at all! I appreciate you responding, especially since I recognize you from around the site. Your tip about switching mindsets really resonated with me, it made me feel a little hopeful. I don't want to have to take a break because I'm worried about letting my other partners down (they've been so patient), but if I have to, I'll make the attempt. Thanks so much!

I used to compare my writing to others'. It was unhealthy and exhausting, but I stopped when I realized the following.

You can only focus on so many things when you write. If you focus on clear wordings and sharp imagery, you can't possibly describe things in great detail, or write poetically at all times.

If you deeply describe everything in a scene, you can't have quick dialogue and lots of character actions. You'll be too busy describing things.

If you write tons of quick dialogue and character actions, you can't spend as much time describing things.

If you write efficiently you often sacrifice poetic and artistic flair, but you increase the vividness of your descriptions.

So if you compare yourself to other people, you'll always be found wanting.

There will always be things that someone else did better, because that's what they focused on. For example, perhaps they wrote tons of beautiful, flowery prose, packing tons of artistic flair. While your writing painted a sharper image, as your descriptions were clear and concise. If you compare yourself to this person, you will notice what you lacked in comparison. I think that connects to negative emotions being more powerful than positive ones.

So don't compare yourself to others. It's comparing apples to oranges, because you can't excel at everything. Writing is like assigning points in a character creation screen. If you put ten points on one thing, you'll have a lower score elsewhere.

So trust your own writing. No you won't be everyone's favorite writer in the world, but some readers will love what you focus on. Those same people may despise writing you compare yourself to, because that's not what they're looking for.

Last edited:
Since your original post said you appreciate feedback I'm going to give it.

I actually really hate it and I dont say hate lightly but I hate it when people say write what you want, don't listen to others, is that not inconsiderate. Hear me out. This other person invested a lot of time too into the story. It's a two way street so if they get upset over a post yeah it should be acknowledged. I have no context to go on with what your post is about so... I can't give a clear answer on my opinions there.

On critics, if you can't handle someone saying that your post would of really impacted their outlook on the role play, I mean be thankful they said anything at all. Truly, they must really respect you to be honest about their feelings.

And I know it sucks to hear but no one is successful in writing without harsh critics from time to time. I'd rather it be with someone I developed a friendship with over a stranger but it happens. The only way I have improved was, when I asked opinions and critics, I listened processed and learned.

It's like acting 99.99999 is failure and we all feel your pain and struggle with you. Your not alone there. Stop the hamster wheel of obsession. We have all been there.

I once had a stranger tear me apart over a spelling error in a title. Totally blindsided but I was like meh its a stranger and now I know how to spell that word

All in all your not alone but it's time to put the obsessive thoughts to rest. You can do with some distraction . Nice music. Maybe a candle. 24 hours away from tech light

(No advice. Just venting frustration and my current situation too.)

Thanks for having the guts to write this thread! I’m going through a somewhat similar thing but I’m definitely not brave enough to be upfront and honest about it. Sometimes just reading relatable stories on here is enough to give me an energy boost for the day. But for me, my nostalgia has been kicking in for past RPs but even if I wanted to write those types of RPs I couldn’t anymore because my interests have changed. So what is my writer’s block really screaming about? The past…the communities I used to be apart of; which I know I need to let go of.

Right now, I go to write and either dislike or hate what I’m writing and I know the problem lies somewhere else. When I start getting picky and fickle I know I’m upset about something else and I just have to sit down and sort through my thoughts and feelings. And also remind myself of the reason behind why I write and it’s not to be a better writer it’s to sort through the tough questions in life and human nature. Personally, the best RPs I’ve been in weren’t because they were great writers, even though that is a bonus, it’s because they were great storytellers. My emotions are more connected to my RPs than anything else. Are you gonna remember that grammatical error you made years from now or the story and how it made you feel?

I nearly forgot I wrote this, life has been so busy lately. I've had a read through all of your comments and I'm just going to give some quick replies along with an update:

Jet Jet -- Your point of view really helped me target an issue within myself I couldn't exactly pinpoint before. I knew it existed, but couldn't have described it until you gave me the words. You're right. I do a lot of comparing to other people's writing - the partners I'm currently with, popular authors - I even have a document of bits and pieces of writing I've snagged from the internet to really ponder over and see where my skill was lacking. I guess I sort of forgot that I as a writer am unique, with my own "skill points", as you put it. I'm not going to be as good (or bad, alternatively) at things as maybe other people are. And, to pair back up with what those before you said, I just have to find partners to write with that appreciate the writer that I am. Maybe when I do interest checks now, I'll go a little bit more in depth to advertise the bits of writing I'm the best/worst at to see if I can attract other like-minded writers to me. Thank you so much.

Pretty Little Creature Pretty Little Creature -- I think I sort of understand where you're coming from with your point of view, but unfortunately, it's really coming across as more negative or punitive the way I'm reading it. I agree there are two sides to everything, but posting about my feelings and personal struggles does not mean I have ignored that second side. I deliberately left out any details pertaining to this issue other than the impact that this event had upon me, and thus, was appreciative of feedback or advice relating to my side alone. I'm afraid you've interpreted what my point was a bit incorrectly from how I meant it, and while I thank you for taking the time to just read through my post, I don't think I've found any help in being told what I "need" to do. However, that doesn't necessarily mean others here won't find help in your comment. Maybe they'll resonate with it more.

And Celestial Water Celestial Water -- I'm SO glad you could relate to this! Sometimes I browse through help forums just looking for issues or questions similar to my own, if only for the purpose of knowing I'm not the only one having them. There really is a comfort in having others who understand. Hopefully you get through your writing funk too and we'll both be off posting like mad somewhere :).

As for the update: I've recently started bringing a notebook with me everywhere - mostly to work, as that's where I've been these past few days - but everywhere nonetheless. It's given me the chance to finally put one of my millions of pens to good use. Instead of typing out all my thoughts or ideas into composed documents or Discord servers, I've started writing them down. I've delved more into my characters and tried to really know who they were, because one of my biggest flaws in my opinion is that I leap into a story idea without truly knowing my character beyond a face and a name. I've also started working out some rough posts, because in that notebook, I'm unafraid of being judged and know that whatever I write can be tossed out if I decide I don't like it. The same practice could be applied to typing it all out, but there's something...cathartic... about actually writing it. It gives me time to think about the words, masticate my intentions, etc. And the ideas I've come up with don't feel too far-fetched like my other ones did. Instead, I feel able to tie them into current happenings - not future ones - and make my story feel much less empty. Writing is slowly getting easier, and as it does, I'm starting to get my confidence back.

I find when I'm in a place you are being tough on myself helps. Your comment back is super mature and fair. I often come across harsh. I usually say picture my words said by a sweet little olaf. I'm harmless and can be ignorant at times. Just know your at least developing with reflection. A lot of people can resonate with the experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back