• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Humanization {OPEN}

archur

watch for the flash
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
full
full
empire1s.jpg
full
full

THE WORLD IS CHANGING.

full
2056- A small cybernetics company, Syndico, breaks through with a new invention that will make implanting, modifying, and creating cybernetics easier. And the world is changed forever. Those who were confined to a wheelchair can finally walk. Those missing limbs from accidents, war, etc. are given a chance to start life anew. The blind can see, the mute can talk, and even those who have nothing wrong with their body are able to modify themselves. Technicolor hair, sight past human visible spectrum, consumer grade concealed cybernetic weapons, the list goes on and on. But, one thing that the cybernetics couldn't fix was the mind. No matter how many chips, how many hours spent using self-implanted brainwashing equipment, the mind remained as is.

But the world tried anyway. And at first, the augs were simple. Alter the way the brain itself functioned, so that the loss of serotonin was instead replaced with a flood of dopamine. This 'solution to sadness' left users only anguished and confused. Or like a sort of constantly smiling, murderous clown. As more cracks were taken at eliminating 'bad' human emotions or traits, despite the protests of 'Full Lifers', those who were willing to undergo 'mind-aug' experiments for large sums of money volunteered themselves more and more frequently. What came out of these shady tests and procedures were monsters. People whose emotional and psychological reasoning were so utterly destroyed, they were unrecognizable as even being human. Needless to say, these cases were bad face for the rising aug companies. So, they brushed them under the rug. Missing person reports were sometimes summed up by a visit to one of these facilities and having never been seen again. But when PrismTech and TinkInc released their newest 'mind' augs, the public ate them right up. And soon, machines were doing all the work. Physical, and mental.

full
2075- By then, the world powers realized exactly how powerful this new technology could be for them. The nations of the world had splintered, fractured. Many countries fell to communism, terrorist organizations, martial law, or worse. Countries found ways to silence their own populace, gaining complete and total control of their lives, clientside connections being sold to government controlled servers, their identities and free will in the whims of those in office.

Now, Syndico wishes to reconcile. In recent times, they've throw open their doors to the public for a 'small' fee. And those who are able to pay are whisked away into the hearts of their facilities, where they're put into 'Hubs'. Simulation pods where the user's mind is engaged. There are rumors of what happens in these. Mind wipes, brainwashing, or worse: death of the mind entirely. However, the advertisements suggest the opposite. They proclaim how the hubs will 'free the mind once and for all', in the span of just a few years. Time passes quickly in these hubs, more so than in reality. The few that enter the sims are young enough to have their whole lives ahead of them.

That's where you come in. You've found your way into the sim for one reason or another with the goal of curing yourself of whatever your mal-aug might be. You might be whisked into a fantasy realm of knights and creatures of shadow, or a simulacra of modern day society with some sort of strange, sinister twist. The sims are designed to keep you on your toes, and to strengthen your force of will to the point of being indomitable.

Dare to hop in?
Here's where you stand.

Firstly, I, Dilby, editing all of this, say, 'Welcome.' archur archur and Devious Dilbert Devious Dilbert are the gm's/dm's. Rules of the rp will be the rules of RPN. No explicit hanky-panky. No godmodding. Respect and love on one another. Etc. Etc. I'm pretty chill about it. Just be a decent dude and we won't get onto you. We will be using dcord as our OCC! Join here! All plot/setting related questions will go to Exiled! Because he knows the rp world better than I do. And if he so chooses, he will review the question with me. Anyway, Dilby shuts the hell up now. Back to Exiled's text.

The RP will take place in a virtual reality environment that is designed to make the PCs 'human' again, and overcome the technological barriers implanted in them through the sheer force of willpower. How this is done however, will be through a metaphor: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, where each level of the pyramid will be the theme of a stage in the sim. Not all of this will be established in real life. The characters will be traversing through whatever hell or feels that Syndico might be forcing their clients through, and I sincerely hope that you all enjoy the strange lands that awaits you! We don't want to spoil it all for you, but to say that the first one will be a "talking based investigation wherein the players must consider the actions and feelings of other attendees at a dinner party to eventually gain the favor of the baron/ess and steal their fortune and riches" would be blasphemy. Expect to consider eating dirt as an alternative to real food, if you can find any!

Actually, I'll use the cryptic hints of song to somewhat establish the setting. You'll figure out what sort of strange people wander into Walmart at 3:00 AM.
The Apocalypse Awaits Those Who Dare.

Now, here's the lowdown. You'll decide what type of affliction your character has had implanted into them, otherwise known as 'mal-augs.' It may be that your character has no emotion whatsoever from the mind-numbing of nerve stapling, or find themselves under the thrall of others that a will-bonding procedure would imply. Whatever the case, your character seeks to enter a hub, and regain what was lost to them: their humanity.

Here's a short list of different mal-augs that your character could have. These are a few different ones I came up with, or otherwise found on my first iteration of this RP. I love when you guys also come up with your own as well, so if you have one of your own, don't be afraid to run it by me, I'll be more than happy to review it. There is much more ground for you guys to claim as your own, so go nuts! Remember though, it's a mal-aug, we're not making any super powers or such. It's a terrible thing to have these augs inside your skull/chest/wherever they might reside.

J o y

The dopamine transmitters within the brain are hyperstimulated to send dopamine for any action the user of the mal-aug takes, from deciding to getting out of bed, to getting out of bed, to choosing to brush their teeth, and then choosing to stop breathing. This was created for the very rich, or as a cure for depression. One can't be sad if they're always happy! However, due to the excess amounts of happiness, there isn't any other space for any other emotion. Sadness is a thing of the past, yes, but so is anger, surprise, curiosity, etc. It's a scary existence, as not having anything but pure happiness can drive one to very dark depths veiled behind a wide, unsettling grin. Those who are inflicted with Joy for more than a week actively find ways to stop being happy, for the simple fact of trying to experience more than just a single, indomitable emotion. Though that emotion is positive, the absence of every other emotion is destructive.

C u p i d ' s A r r o w

A implant for those who were lonely at one point. A randomized, or user submitted, or otherwise general set of features are chosen for the aug to focus on. When the user sees a set of features that strongly correlates with a image or description used when the aug was first implanted on a person, the subject whether it be a person, reflection, or thing, the user becomes intensely focused on the subject of their desire. This desire slowly becomes more and more obsessive, to wanting to merely become friends with a person because their aug compels the user to like a person's features, to stalking them and kidnapping them because the user feels that they must have that person. That person slowly becomes their world. The user's friends and family fade out of view, and soon enough, it's just those two 'love birds', trapped together in some basement, handcuffed to each other.

N e r v e S t a p l i n g

A sort of implant placed into the cerebrum, the goal of it to suppress all emotions deemed 'unnecessary'. This mainly was used to quell leaders of resistance or those who sought to otherwise voice their opinions against the varying governments. Easily able to silence them and turn speakers into ghosts of their former selves, this method of political assassination is very effective at morale breaking, and doing this en masse is useful at quieting large populations permanently.

W i l l - b o n d i n g

Known as 'Cybernetic Slavery' by those who have been put under the thrall of Will-bonding, or those who know others who have been bonded, is the act of forcing one person to become subservient to another through varying means, all of them adapted through the use of cybernetics. Some versions of this include crude forms of electrocution, others modify the brain to become more subservient to their Magisters, who carry out their will without any question, or at least as close as they could do so. Originally, this was created to insure that maids and such would be on task, and make sure that they were doing their very best during work hours, but after tampering by varying individuals associated with the black market and the deep web, the underground human trafficking system has gotten that much more expanded.

T h o u g h t - s e i z e

To those who have information locked inside their heads that isn't meant to ever see the light of day, this is given to them. Usually for high priority targets, this is used to make interrogation easier by narrating in a understandable way exactly what the user is thinking at the very moment, rather than directly narrating exactly what the user is thinking about. Have you ever read a type of writing known as "Stream of consciousness"? Usually, systems put into place to interrogate fit the pieces of thought that the user has into coherent sentences and as to why thought like that came about. Other times, it could be malfunctioning piece of work, and actually speak the user's mind in a stream of consciousness, or even scream it or only speak of all the negative things the user might be thinking, or even force thoughts into the user's mind. This monologue sounds like the user's voice, but does not use the user's voice-box, rather a approximated version of it, even if the user might be mute, to which it then picks up other voices nearby.

Last note from Dilby here! Before you scroll down and proclaim your interest, we want players that'll stick around for a while and we're gonna cap it off at either 6 or 8. We also will not be first come first serve. This will be more of a detailed rp, and we'll be looking over the submitted cs's very intently when we get the threads up! Until then, join our dcord server! Say hi and hang around while Dilby slaves away on coding the threads!

Humanization

Coded by Devious Dilbert

Coded by Devious Dilbert

Last edited:
GUESS WHAT'S BACK, BABY 0stinato 0stinato

uwupolice uwupolice I WANT YOU TO THINK ABOUT JOINING. I KNOW YOU'RE BUSIER THAN EVEN I AM- BUT I LOVE YOU AND I WANT TO SHARE THE WORLD WITH YOU, BBGIRL
PLEASE ALLOW ME TO DO SO <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back