How to turn ideas into a good plot?

Inmento Riku

The Angel of Darkness/The Demon of Light
I'm usually great at coming up with an idea for a roleplay, but when it comes to creating a plot based off of that idea I suck. For example: My idea is having a clone escape the laboratory and hide in the city, whilst also trying to figure out who he is/was. I'd be stuck for a week maybe more trying to create a more detailed plot. (By the way...that was a terrible example I know...but it was all I could come up as I am distracted by my girlfriend showing me cat videos right now. How did it get on that fan? O.o )

Does anyone have any advice about the creation of plots or of the process of turning amazing ideas into even more amazing plots?

There are three important steps in turning an idea into a fitting plot (premise):

1. Compare the idea to the basic structure requirements of a plot (or premise)

A premise requires you to meet certain details and naturally, most ideas will only cover a few. You need to figure out what the genre is, what the setting is, who both the main characters are, if there will be arcs or just one continuous goal, what is the main source of conflict, what the inciting incident is, what sort of a relationship the characters are supposed to have, and the tone of the story, preferably in that order.

By taking a look and comparing the idea vs that checklist (which in all fairness is pretty simplified, as each of those keypoints could be split into dozens at least), you should be able to figure out what you need to add to complete a plot.

For example, your idea about the clone establishes one of it's characters, meaning it is only halfway to estabilishing both character's. You also have an incomplete setting, seeing how genre is not yet estabilished.

Overall, your idea is missing just about everything, but worry not, as it does have some contents and many ideas share the thread of not completely answering any of the questions.

2.Complete the Plot based of your goals for the idea, and deriving from the idea itself.

This step is pretty self-explanatory. Think about your idea and it's consequences. Try to logically derive the answers for the other questions from your initial idea. What would make it more efficient at displaying what you want it to display? Your goals for a thread should also shape the answers as you complement your idea. For example, if your goal was to show an action packed Story with brutal struggles against the oppressive forces that went to silence the speaking against scientific experiments, you probably don't want to set it in a small country village where the characters are highschool students with medium grades that come home eating pancakes chatting with their Mormon friends.

3. Fine tune things to make the plot functional

The last step is to make sure that if you start the plot you won't get stuck just cause it doesn't make sense or is too passive.

You need to make sure there are secondary sources of conflict that allow introspection and spread details that might put the characters into cofblict with one another or cause them to question their own usual views. You also need to tune your plot so wipe the inevitable traces of egocentricity that are present almost in every plot. A person designs a plot because they want that plot or like that idea, but the other person may also have ideas too and want you to pay some attention. You must make sure everything makes sense in a grander scale and that it will continue to later, assuring in the meantime that you character isn't the whole center of the universe to give the other player some spotlight as well.

Just some. Raw tips for role playing plots, hope they help.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Idea Thank you so much. This has always been something I have struggled with, except when writing short stories oddly enough O.o

I shall take these concepts/ideas into heart and also into practice.

Remember that each character has their own goals, motivations, and personal values. It's the conflict that arises when these are at odds with each other that drives an interesting plot. Knowing this, it's useful to keep in mind that the 'plot curve' of a story will look different from each character's perspective.

So ask yourself: What does that clone stand for? What does he hope to achieve? What does he *want* from one scene to the next? Once you understand these things, ask: What is standing in his way? Better yet, who? Once you have another character in the mix you can examine the same things about *that* character, and your plot will develop from the interactions you discover.

If you get used to doing this and you're still getting stuck, try blowing something up. Have fun!

Inmento Riku] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/17367-idea/ said:
@Idea[/URL] Thank you so much. This has always been something I have struggled with, except when writing short stories oddly enough O.o
I shall take these concepts/ideas into heart and also into practice.
I´m glad I could help. I have some tutorials on other things as well, such as tutorials on the genres of science fiction and romance, as well as tips for making interesting characters. Do check them out if you feel like it!

I mostly give my character(s) a goal, whether it's personal or not, and add conflict, and make that goal harder to achieve in some fashion. In my opinion anyways, without conflict of any kind, the story is really nothing. Just my two cents anyways. -throws two cents into the thread-

*Since I am Canadian, your money is worth a lot, I kill for that two cents*

Thanks....your tip makes a lot of sense. :D

@Inmento Riku

-Is also Canadian, but is enjoying Tim Horton's in his Igloo-

Anytime! I've only been RPing for like 6 months total, but I've been writing for much longer then that.

*Readjusts the satellite on his igloo*

Sorry, internet was out after a penguin hit my satellite.

6 months? Aww a new roleplayer *Grabs and huggles*

@Zakkachu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back