Other How to memorize lines for a play?

Lord Aphrodite

To conquer death, you only have to die.
I've tried repeating while pacing, and I'm currently writing them down, but I don't think any are working. What are your suggestions?

Try memorizing the structure of the scenes. Every scene has a beginning, middle and end and if you organize your lines in that way, it can help you remember what lines to say and when. Let me know if this helps you or if you need any more help :)

Writing them down didn't work. It just frustrated me.

D DisneyGirl

Definitely repeating them out loud is a better way to go, in my opinion. Try to remember what the other character says before your character talks, so it gives you your cue. Having someone to run the lines with helps, or record yourself saying the other character's lines, play the audio back and respond with your own lines.

Definitely repeating them out loud is a better way to go, in my opinion. Try to remember what the other character says before your character talks, so it gives you your cue. Having someone to run the lines with helps, or record yourself saying the other character's lines, play the audio back and respond with your own lines.
Alrighty. I'll try that later. I'm gonna take a little brain break.

This might sound quite weird, and it may not work for you, but I always had good luck with it. When you're reciting your lines, take note of what they feel like. Don't just pay attention to the words, pay attention to the inflection, the emotion, and try to do it the same way every time (once you settle on a way you're happy sticking with).
For me, it always helped it stick because it became more than just memorization. It felt more like muscle memory, like once I got started my brain would continue to want to fall into the next bit and the next bit because there was a set routine that went beyond just the words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back