How to make a good Fantasy RP - Discussion

Birdsie

The God-Emperor of Mankind
I've been doing some archaeology and research like the King of Memes that I am, and I have discovered a rather interesting pattern of the fantasy section.

What I mean is:
Popularity.

On average, 1-4 players will join a Fantasy RP, who's premise is over 8 paragraphs long, then 1-4 players will join over the several next days.

A good example is Ascension by OmegaxRai OmegaxRai .
Just the first of two introductory posts has over 13,250 words, minus some very basic BBCode.
Everything there is described to the letter. Religions, royal families, special abilities, races, towns, factions, common sexualities. Each at least a paragraph to several of text in length, describing them respectively. A whole paragraph of text has been allocated to just describing the currency in the world.

On another hand, roleplays that have quick, but open premise seem to be more popular on average. A good example of this is a very, very old classic that I made; Tyranny of King Valerian. There was no interest check for it, just an IC thread.
This is literally what the introduction said:
He was sitting on his throne, bluntly and arrogantly watching the kneeled monster.

It was a Minotaur Child, a few years old at most. He smirked and looked down on it, sitting on his throne. He opened his mouth and drank some wine from a silver chalice.

Then he opened his mouth again and said "I've got my verdict. Execute this filth." as the Guards took the Minotaur away, he smirked.

King Leon Valerian... the Tyrant against Non-humans.

He believes anyone, and anything non-human is scum.

He has no respect for them, an Adventurer took the quest to stop him.

But she'll need friends... will you help her?

Yeah, it's pretty cheesy and corny, now that I look back at it. But still, that is a little over a single paragraph of text when you lump it all together.

Later, I've added some Lore supplements, but these were only necessities, and players had pretty much 99% freedom when it came to creating their characters, the only real limitation being that they weren't too OP.

And in the light of that all: The playerbase was abundant. In two days, I had over 13 players.

What causes this, is creative freedom. Essentially, in the RP I made; as long as you justified it, you could have made a dwarf space-traveller with a ship that uses magic technology; or an angel bard with OCD, or a plethora of other ideas. What I'm saying is, players could let a majority of their fantasy-based ideas come to life. Hardly any fantasy creature you think of couldn't be played by you. We even had a Swamp Strider (a huge monster that served as more of a pet,) on the side of the adventurers.

And 13 is the playerbase in two days. In less than a week, this number skyrocketed to over 25. I could barely keep everything together.

And it was not only just popular but also incredibly immersive. I remember when a character died, and a lot of us actually cried. It was like one of these movies that make you cry when a character dies, like holy shit.

After the impressive success of ToKV, I've withheld from making modern, or futuristic roleplays and focused on perfecting the fantasy aspect. The next great success I had was the Guild of Heroes, a Hosted Project which told the tale of... well, literally a Guild of Heroes. They helped people and stuff. Sounds cheesy, I know, and it was until the plot kicked in.

Again, there were no limitations to characters. You could make a member of the Guild, a random necromancer, a villain - whoever you came up with. And the RP technically had an ending, but it was somewhat rushed. Regardless, I consider that another success.

What are your thoughts?

How to make a successful fantasy RP?

This is interesting to take into account, as for the past few days I've been contemplating making a Skyrim-based RP.

In your opinion, is it better to have higher barriers for entry and a smaller group, or more open rules and a larger one?

This is interesting to take into account, as for the past few days I've been contemplating making a Skyrim-based RP.

In your opinion, is it better to have higher barriers for entry and a smaller group, or more open rules and a larger one?
That all depends on what the RP will be about. Who the foes and antagonists will be.

The likelihood of a roleplay surviving is inversly proportional to the amount of players. Large amounts will decay faster and die out faster, whilst smaller groups will remain stable for longer. In ToKV, the few most ardent players got to over 300 pages with a legit ending.

That all depends on what the RP will be about. Who the foes and antagonists will be.

The likelihood of a roleplay surviving is inversly proportional to the amount of players. Large amounts will decay faster and die out faster, whilst smaller groups will remain stable for longer. In ToKV, the few most ardent players got to over 300 pages with a legit ending.
You sort of gave my answer in a nutshell. The only thing any roleplay needs is a small group of like minded individuals. The more those individuals agree on what they want, the more likely it's going to be successful(even if it falls short). For instance, your example of open ended rp is the Exact opposite of what I'd want, but it doesn't mean others don't want that. I'd say in particular, that any successful rp should be not only descriptive of the premise,but the expectations as well.

Last edited:
Absolutely. There's no post format that I have a (conscious) preference to.

I like and join RPs where the GM has a clear idea what they want to achieve and I feel I can participate in that goal.

I would actually say it bugs me where a GM posts an interest check along the lines of "I have a real cool idea for a story and need people to help me create lore, maps, history..."

If I want to be that involved I'd write my own interest check but some people probably love being that involved.

Honestly I would like a RP like the second one you described...
As long as it's not a school RP I will be willing to consider it.

High barriers. High as the community can sustain... them once you have an awesome core, you can relax more and more... leveling off at an amount of disappointment and wasted investment in lookie-Loos that your rp can afford.

This is how I run mine, and cream rises, jetsam sinks.

High barriers. High as the community can sustain... them once you have an awesome core, you can relax more and more... leveling off at an amount of disappointment and wasted investment in lookie-Loos that your rp can afford.

This is how I run mine, and cream rises, jetsam sinks.
That's my approach as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back