Advice/Help How to improve writing for an RP?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Alright, the title basically says it all, "how do you improve your writing in an RP?"

But you see, I've been roleplaying for years with multiple people, and even written my own stories and what not. (Maybe this question can help with writing in general too haha.) I feel like my writing style has been stagnant for a while, and I feel like I don't write as high of quality posts as I should. Because sometimes I lurk around and see other's work and it is absolutely amazing (props to y'all! <3).

So, what are some tips you have to improve your writing in general or for an RP?

Well, one thing I noticed is people tend to judge their own writing far more harshly than others do, so that is one thing to consider as you write. But, as an aspiring novelist I feel your pain. Here are some tips I found helped me over the years.

1. Write everyday. Even if it is just a paragraph, or just for an RP or just for a short story, make a habit of writing. The more you do something the better you get. Practice makes perfect as they say, and then you will be able to learn how to make seamless transitions and descriptions without trying too too hard.

2. Read lots of books. It doesn't just have to be big name authors, but at least authors you like/respect. This will help your muse and studying their writing style will help you when you write for yourself. Remembering what made you get emotional, what made you fall in love with characters, what made you fall in love with the story will all help you improve your own writing.

3. Don't be afraid of constructive criticism. Ask people for feedback and what they would do differently. Hell, I have asked people thoughts on ideas for the current novel I am writing and it has worked wonders for the story and helped me make something that is thematically fitting. This is probably one of the most helpful steps, you just gotta be willing to actually listen to what other people have to say.

4. Write what you like. Writing will definitely stagnate if you are only writing for someone else. I found that out the hard way. Remember that YOU should find the most joy from writing your part and so it is important what you write is all what you like to write and how you like to write it. If you enjoy it, it will shine through on the screen or paper. Having fun will always help you improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back