Advice/Help How to 1x1 RP

Juju

PREY-FOR-US
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I've been on the site for a while (yes, im old) but I have never actually participated in any 1x1 rps. That being said, I was recently interested in one, though I have no idea how this sort of rp style works. I'm used to group rps with a GM controlling NPCs, setting and plot devices.

In a 1x1 RP do both players sort of take turns being GM, share it, or does one player usually take charge of the story? I would love to hear any tips you might have.

It can be either, but most common is when both players are basically GM and they create the story together, both would control various NPCs and usually each player has one (or more) 'main' characters.
There are also cases where one person is more of a GM and the other follows the story. These things are usually agreed upon by both players at the start.

I prefer 1x1 to Groups because 1x1 can be more tailor-made to the players and are more flexible. But at the same time, they're more prone to dropping, since if one player loses interest there is no one else to rp with.

It can be either, but most common is when both players are basically GM and they create the story together, both would control various NPCs and usually each player has one (or more) 'main' characters.
There are also cases where one person is more of a GM and the other follows the story. These things are usually agreed upon by both players at the start.

I prefer 1x1 to Groups because 1x1 can be more tailor-made to the players and are more flexible. But at the same time, they're more prone to dropping, since if one player loses interest there is no one else to rp with.
Ah I see! Thank you for this insight!

For me, I love it way simpler than a dynamic of just GMs or players. No one takes on a "master" role, but we both just brainstorm and work out something purely creative and inspiring to us both. After years of "switching GM roles back and forth" and absolutely hating it, I've discovered that teamwork makes the dream work. Maximum amounts of collaboration leads to some really awesome RPs with a lot less rules and regulations than your average group RP.

After all, the only reason we need rules in the first place is to stop people who may abuse their positions. If you find a SOLID 1x1 partner who you know you can trust with your story, suddenly you don't need any rules anymore. No power caps, no hit points, the only limitations are the ones YOU might find important, like continuity and being true to your character's motivations.

So with 1x1s the real difference comes down to focus.

In a 1x1 the focus is the dynamic between two characters. So you are building your story around a romantic pairing, a friendship, a rivalry, etc.

It’s why most 1x1s either have a list of pairings (ex. Nerd x Jock) or they will list plots with two roles highlighted (ex. Character A and Character B).

Some people might offer up doubling but that’s usually transactional. It basically means you play the pairing I want I will play a pairing for you. However when your just starting out I would stick to one pairing only to get a feel for the writing style.

Now what this means in a practical sense is that your character is much more important in 1x1s than groups. Because the entire roleplay is going to hinge on how well your character interacts with your partners character.

And because you are not really in control of how your partner writes their character I would say there really isn’t a “GM” in the group sense of the word.

As in groups the GM is essentially the manager of the roleplay. They are in charge of accepting applications, enforcing the rules, coming up with the setting, and making sure the players stay on track.

That is way too much work to put on one person when the roleplay consists of two people.

Instead in 1x1s you usually contact someone who has a pairing or plot you are interested in.

Ex. Hey I saw you had a plot where Character A is an uptight by the books superhero who gets paired up with Character B, a devil may care rookie who is one mistake away from losing their job. I would like to play Character B.

You will then discuss with the person things like (so what gender is everyone? How do super powers work in this universe? Are they going to be fighting villains? etc.)

Now some people will have some world building done already for their plots (I’m one of those people). But some people will want to flesh out the setting with their partner together.

But again it’s not like a GM because ultimately they are not the ones who are keeping the story moving forward or controlling the setting. That is a shared responsibility between both players.

Thank you! These responses have definitely helped a lot!

When it comes to NPC interactions, does one player just volunteer to control that NPC for the duration of the interaction? Or do both players get to write the actions and dialogue of the NPC?

We mostly do the first option: whoever introduces the NPC gets to control them. Though I think once in a great while it flows better to just take over, so I'll ask to do that beforehand.

We mostly do the first option: whoever introduces the NPC gets to control them. Though I think once in a great while it flows better to just take over, so I'll ask to do that beforehand.
ok thanks!

THATS NOT OLD
ITS TOO LATE! IM ALREADY ON MY WAY TO RETIREMENT 👴
but yeah im just joking around :P I mostly meant in terms of being an old RPN member. Its been like 10 years bro. I cannot believe its been that long AND that I havent tried 1x1 before now.

ITS TOO LATE! IM ALREADY ON MY WAY TO RETIREMENT 👴
but yeah im just joking around :P I mostly meant in terms of being an old RPN member. Its been like 10 years bro. I cannot believe its been that long AND that I havent tried 1x1 before now.
It’s cool I just turned 24 so when I see ppl around my age saying they’re old I start to think like ‘nahhhh what about me?!!’

Although I been here for 6 years and never had a decent 1x1 but I’m still hoping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back