Advice/Help How do you get back into rping

G0n3

Obsessed
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So I've been doing rps on and off for 4 years now, I just can't bring myself to do any rps. I've been creating characters and worlds for years now, but dying to do rps for years but every time I get myself to do a rp I don't want to write. I don't even write my own stories for my OCs or worlds that I've built, I just write down notes. But I desperately want to write again and find the joy in rping again, I just am unsure how to push myself through this phase. It's probably just writer's block... perhaps I just need to push myself through and I'll eventually break from this writer's block? Any advice?

Sounds like writer's block, yeah. In your shoes, I would try to identify whatever the mental block is. Sometimes I can do it on my own, but a lot of the time it helps to talk through it with someone supportive, a friend or family member... or a therapist, lol. Historically, my mental blocks have been feeling inadequate or insecure about my abilities.

I'm actually in a similar boat where I just looked at a sign-up a few minutes ago and I immediately wanted to, like, vomit. Give me a break. But my way of dealing with that is to stop freeform RP and channel my creative energy towards the other veritable-million of creative things I could be doing instead. I don't know if you might feel the same way: RP might be a great outlet for you.

Sounds like writer's block, yeah. In your shoes, I would try to identify whatever the mental block is. Sometimes I can do it on my own, but a lot of the time it helps to talk through it with someone supportive, a friend or family member... or a therapist, lol. Historically, my mental blocks have been feeling inadequate or insecure about my abilities.

I'm actually in a similar boat where I just looked at a sign-up a few minutes ago and I immediately wanted to, like, vomit. Give me a break. But my way of dealing with that is to stop freeform RP and channel my creative energy towards the other veritable-million of creative things I could be doing instead. I don't know if you might feel the same way: RP might be a great outlet for you.
Yeah it probably is writer’s block. I might already know what could have caused it, not being able to bounce ideas off of other people might have done it.

I wish I could be like that haha, reliable on myself and able to execute creative ideas on my own. I mean I still got the creative juice in me, I just can’t use the juice on anything if that makes sense.

I’m really hoping that I can get back into rping and it might spark my love for writing again. But I’ve noticed I always panic when searching for a partner or planning anything when I do find a partner, like my skills have disappeared or I won’t find that spark again. Yeah, I think you’re right, I should definitely talk to some people about this.

To me it sounds like a splash of depression.
My opinion?
I would definitely go see if anyone is hosting a good old DND session.
If you like creating characters with lore and backstory I would definitely do that to get the ol creativity back in gear.
And who knows maybe youll.come back all the better for it!

But perhaps it's writers block or the crippling sensation of starting rps then people ghosting you that continues on the cycle of "I just really can't rp no more"

I get that a lot too. Some people you rp with just....."click" with you.
Just gotta keep trying to you find that one person whom you will really enjoy a great story with!

For me it worked when I found rp partners that I clicked with so much that we could read each other's thoughts and everything our characters did in the rp made sense, our vibes with those characters were completely in synch. At least it worked until real life killed my creativity, and now I'm not sure what to do. Just hoping it will get back to me one day. But still talking to those rp partners OOC (and it helps to keep interest in the roleplays even if we don't actually roleplay).
But I don't think this is a universal solution. Mostly because it's super hard to find rp partners like that, they're like unicorns lol So it's not really a recommendation, just sharing my personal experience, that it can also work this way if you're lucky.

Talking to people in general may help. When you see someone really enthusiastic about writing it may help you get motivated too.

But perhaps it's writers block or the crippling sensation of starting rps then people ghosting you that continues on the cycle of "I just really can't rp no more"
Yeah it definitely is that sometimes haha. Either I get ghosted or I’m the one ghosting because we either didn’t click or my anxiety got me messed up.
Talking to people in general may help. When you see someone really enthusiastic about writing it may help you get motivated too.
Yeah that would probably help, I always did enjoy seeing someone else’s OCs, stories, ideas, etc. When they’re excited about their own ideas and stories it’s even more interesting. I do hope that you get those creative juices coming back though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back