Advice/Help How do you get back into RPing after not doing it for a few years?

beetle

just rattling through life
I'm trying to get back into RPing because it's something I used to really love doing. I started RPing in 6th grade and stopped my freshman year of college. I'm a college senior now so y'all know how long I've been out of the game. When I RPed actively, I was in very few active RPs with people I came to know very well because we RPed together for years. We're all still in contact but don't RP with each other anymore. I guess we got busy or grew out of it or something; I'm not sure. I'm really unsure how to get back into RPing again.

Give your writing skills a test run. Write one or two paragraphs to flex your rp muscles.
If you want to meet some new people, look through the interest checks and pm a couple of people a sample of your stuff and some plot ideas to see if they like your style. Hope you get back into the saddle!

I agree with Short Round Short Round . You can try viewing other interest check threads to get a feel for how other people post to look for people, and peruse RP threads in the different areas for actual RPs. But I suppose my biggest advice is patience. Don't get discouraged if an RP fizzles out, or you're ghosted on. I find that more often than not, people just disappear without a word.

I agree with the above. Give it a test run. Don't feel discouraged if it doesn't get going from the first time though since sometimes it takes a while to find good rp partners, but you might still estimate how much you really want to get back into it after making search thread or joining roleplays.

I got back into rp after 7 years break just because I met an amazing rp partner here. Some people come back and decide it's not for them anymore. Either is fine. If you don't rp again you might still find some new friends :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I just go back into roleplay as well.

Honestly my advice is to stalk the interest checks. Look for people with a fandom or original plot idea that interests you and roleplay with them. Start your own interest check with things you want to roleplay.

Or you know just join someone's kind of casual roleplay where there isn't much pressure while you're getting back into things.

And write obviously.

me personally, I just went really, really slow. lurk around a lot, take some time to familiarize yourself with the community even if you don't personally get involved right away. figure out your comfort zone and stick with it for a while. when you finally do start putting yourself back out there, make sure you don't beat yourself up too much if it's not super easy right off the bat. these things take time. it can take a while to get back into it, and yeah, you might be flighty for a while or you might be able to jump right back in. it's different for everyone of course.

I like to torture myself by going through a bunch of other people's shit like character sheets and interest checks and RP threads. it kind of helped me get my own muse back because it got me excited about writing, and also forced me to realize what I was missing out on and that if I truly did miss it that badly, I was going to have to stop being stubborn and probably step out of my comfort zone a little in order to get myself back out there. but that's just me. 😂 I'm an ass to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back