How do you find pictures for your characters?

Impocractes

Loyal Servant to Markus Valafi
<p>

I can never seem to find a picture that I like I'm fine with typing up a description, but I'm curious where you all get your pictures

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I had a picture I wanted to use already, I don't personally use pictures. Descriptions are a much better way to go in my opinion.

i personally prefer using faceclaims — whether it's from an anime / manga / graphic novel or a model / celebrity / actor / singer / etc.

looking for a fc and finding the right pictures for it can be kinda fun actually. i don't know what type of faceclaims you are looking for so i'll just give you a little bit of all and sources for high-quality photos.

i'm on mobile so i can't link you properly sorry ://

real life faceclaims:

- koreanmodel.tumblr.com

- filipinomodel.tumblr.com

- bunchoffaceclaims.tumblr.com ( this is actually more of a directory so you can easily choose fcs )

- mapleofrph.tumblr.com/fcs ( also a directory )

- hqkpopgirls.tumblr.com

- femaleidols.tumblr.com ( a fanblog for female kpop idols. there are graphics, hq pics, gifs, etc. )

- kpophqpictures.tumblr.com

- marvelheroes.tumblr.com ( same as femaleidols except for mcu and xmen and their celebs )

- notanotherrph.tumblr.com/directory

- notanotherrph.tumblr.com/tagged/model-fc

- blackmalemodels.tumblr.com

- blackfemalemodels.tumblr.com

- global-fashions.tumblr.com

as you can see, tumblr is my main source for pics of real life fcs. ofc those aren't the only ones you could images from.

some tips i could give you for real life fc are:

- when on tumblr, you could find more blogs that also post similar content by clicking who they "reblogged" that specific post from or the source itself.

- fy / fuckyeah / fyeah blogs are great sources for hq pictures and sometimes, gifs and graphics. i can't redirect you to every fy blog in existence but you could search something like "fy emilia clark" or "fy game of thrones" on google and you'll have results easily. if there are no fy blogs for whoever you are searching for, then just utilize the tumblr search for great content.

- fy blogs are basically fansites. you can use fansites for finding hq pics too.

for anime / manga faceclaims, websites to check out for are pixiv, zerochan, and minitokyo. you have to host the image on another site ( e.g. imgur, photobucket, tinypic, etc. ) if you are using sth from the zerochan and minitokyo though.

if you are looking for pictures for graphics then try:

- flickr

- deviantart

- stock.xchng

- tumblr

obviously, for all of these, you can just try using google images -- but where's the fun in that?! haha. on a more serious note, google *does* help but it's also better to have some go-to sites already.

i hope this post helped even a little bit! if you need more help, just ask
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Expanding on what @Chenn posted

jellyfishfaces.tumblr.com is a great face claim site with a very comprehensive list.

there are a few other good ones too that i don't know the name of off the top of my head

but if you google - face claim helper - you should get some great hits.

now that's for real face claims.

there is also lookbook.nu for less well known models if your not looking to use straight celebrities.

for cosplay / aliens / period specific looks

- pinterest is fantastic

- also i know the body art section of deviantart is especially great for alien poses.

for anime/illustrated art

- pinterest

- deviantart

for anime specifically

- zerochan.net

Also there is faceclaims & chill

If you need someone else's help for a specific character.

Edit: Also if you want to make you own characters there are tons of dollmakers out there of decent quality.

I recommend azaeleasdolls.com OR rinmarugames.com for those.

GOOGLE!

I will spend hours sifting through pictures to find someone I like. First stage is to google actress with X, like actress with black hair or red hair, etc. Second stage is to find a specific name, tack on "photo shoot" to the end to get more polished pictures, and then sift through those. The people I chose have a minimum of 5 pictures that I deem good enough to use, even though I usually only use three and then never look at them again.

I draw my characters ^_^ But that's because I like to draw. I don't draw in a realistic style though, so when a realistic face claim is mandatory, I'll Google a list of descriptive factors ("long haired Korean guy" for instance). Using realistic face claims makes me feel uncomfortable, so I only do that if it's mandatory. I usually use models, since some of them can look like fairly normal people in the right setting and clothes.

Also, a helpful feature of Google images is that you can refine your search based on a picture. Say that you find a picture that looks kinda like what you want, but the outfit is wrong or something. You can click on the picture and then click on the link to see more images like that one. Alternatively, find out the person's name and look for more pictures of them. It also might be useful to save links to face claims that you might use later on even if you want a different one at the time.

I go to my pinterest. I've made boards there for potential character photos I can use. Though, despite having a lot of options in my pinterest boards, I still sometimes find myself unable to find the one for my character. When that happens, these are what I do:

* For anime pics I head on to zerochan.net which is pretty much my main source. When I can't find anything I like there, I scour pinterest. I find it harder to search for a specific anime photo there though so I don't do it very often.

* For semi-realistic / realistic photo / art (not real people pics, but just realistic art), I go to deviantart and use the search filters Digital > Illustrations > People (or something like that, I can't remember the exact filter sequence) then go from there. If I've found an art style I like or something close to what I want but isn't exactly what it I want, I look at the photos that deviantart suggests as 'more like this'. Sometimes, I also head into the collections featuring the art that I liked.

* If it's a face claim / real people pic rp, then I usually scour the modelling agency sites for potential face claims and then head over to pinterest to search for other photos of them aside from those in their folio featured on their modelling agency's site. I also consult face claim directories, but only when I'm desperate and lazy since most (if not all) fc directories are on tumblr and it takes
forever for me to load tumblr pages. I only go there when I'm desperate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back