Chitchat How do you deal with anxiety/stress?

salvia palth

There are nights like last night when the sudden realization hits that someday, we're going to all die.
Your entire existence will just not exist anymore. That's what gets me when I go to sleep. Then I can't sleep for hours.

Taking medication doesn't seem to do anything, though I've only been taking them almost a year now. My anxiety is like the dull panic feeling, nausea, not being able to take a full breath. That sort of thing.

Also, I'm graduating in 18 days. 18. I might as well just die.

I feel like I'm slowly suffocating and there isn't anything I can do about it.

If you're a Christian you don't even have to think about that. You know that wherever you go after will be even better than down here.

Stress, I listen to (instrumental) music as I sit quietly and try to contemplate what the root of the problem is.

That's way too long. I'm moving up a grade in... hey, what do you know, in exactly a week I'll be on summer vacation. Down to minutes.

What's irking you, specifically? Finals, college, schoolwork, your future, etc?

I've had two major breakdowns in the last month. Basically it would involve me feeling helpless and worthless and not even having the strength to pull my arms up. I'd just sit on the ground and sob for a while. I know how you feel...trust me. What I've come to realize is that even if Death is literally the most terrifying thing ever, it is inevitable. And things that you can't help or stop, is something you shouldn't waste your time worrying about. All we should do is spend our time with things or people that make us happy! I don't know if you're a Christian like I am, but life is mostly about finding your own happiness. Unfortunately everyone goes through their own problems and trials and dark times throughout their life, but the constant fight to find happiness is what makes life worth while :) Things will be okay, I promise! I wish you all the happiness in the world, friend :)

Lots of people feel the same way so you're not alone in your existential crisis.

When I'm feeling very stressed I reframe my problem in a positive way. Instead of being bogged down by graduating, think about how now you're able to do whatever you want, pursue whatever opportunities appeal to you.

Instead of anxious, reframe the view of yourself as overly-cautious. Which can be helpful in some situations. Now you just have to figure out when to be less cautious.

If you're a Christian you don't even have to think about that. You know that wherever you go after will be even better than down here.

Stress, I listen to (instrumental) music as I sit quietly and try to contemplate what the root of the problem is.

That's way too long. I'm moving up a grade in... hey, what do you know, in exactly a week I'll be on summer vacation. Down to minutes.

What's irking you, specifically? Finals, college, schoolwork, your future, etc?

Basically just the future in general. The stress of finding a job, somehow. College? I got accepted to my dream college and didn't take the opportunity. So I ruined that.
My boyfriend and I have been fighting lately too, which doesn't help things. It's always over the most stupid things, but they still bother me even hours after. Maybe I'm just crazy.
Most days I just float through and do it all again the next day. Not to mention I haven't talked to my mom in months, even on mothers day. I don't even know where she lives now. My dad thinks I'm a disappointment, and my rabbit just can't seem to grasp the idea of only peeing in her cage.

Lots of people feel the same way so you're not alone in your existential crisis.

When I'm feeling very stressed I reframe my problem in a positive way. Instead of being bogged down by graduating, think about how now you're able to do whatever you want, pursue whatever opportunities appeal to you.

Instead of anxious, reframe the view of yourself as overly-cautious. Which can be helpful in some situations. Now you just have to figure out when to be less cautious.

The problem is, to do what you want in this world, you have to have money. I don't even have a job, no idea how I'm going to get one that doesn't drug test but pays enough for me. I don't even know where to begin to fix things with my family. Some days I just want to lock myself in my closet and stay there forever.

I've had two major breakdowns in the last month. Basically it would involve me feeling helpless and worthless and not even having the strength to pull my arms up. I'd just sit on the ground and sob for a while. I know how you feel...trust me. What I've come to realize is that even if Death is literally the most terrifying thing ever, it is inevitable. And things that you can't help or stop, is something you shouldn't waste your time worrying about. All we should do is spend our time with things or people that make us happy! I don't know if you're a Christian like I am, but life is mostly about finding your own happiness. Unfortunately everyone goes through their own problems and trials and dark times throughout their life, but the constant fight to find happiness is what makes life worth while :) Things will be okay, I promise! I wish you all the happiness in the world, friend :)

Thank you! I'm not a Christian, however, which makes things a whole lot more difficult. It's hard for me to grasp the ideas of religion, it always has.

Sorry, the last one made me smile.
Start small. You know your interests by now in all likelihood, so go off that to find a good job.
If you spent an hour a night searching jobs, by graduation you'll have 18 hours of searching for jobs.
I can't give advice there. Never had a romantic relationship. RIP Sano's love life.

I agree. I have that mentality alot too.
Retail or fast food?
Just send her a text or something wishing her a belated happy mother's day.
And that's really unfortunate, since you're probably not.

Thank you! I'm not a Christian, however, which makes things a whole lot more difficult. It's hard for me to grasp the ideas of religion, it always has.
And thats totally fine! It took me a LONG time to figure out my faith and I still have my doubts and questions haha oh well ^^

There are nights like last night when the sudden realization hits that someday, we're going to all die.
Your entire existence will just not exist anymore. That's what gets me when I go to sleep. Then I can't sleep for hours.

Taking medication doesn't seem to do anything, though I've only been taking them almost a year now. My anxiety is like the dull panic feeling, nausea, not being able to take a full breath. That sort of thing.

Also, I'm graduating in 18 days. 18. I might as well just die.

I feel like I'm slowly suffocating and there isn't anything I can do about it.

What's your religion?

Praying helps a lot.

I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion, but I am a testament to the power of prayer. I'm sure God cares for you and will help you out especially now that you need it.

Seriously, pray. Seek Him out. He'll listen.

S salvia palth

Also, here's something that works for me...

Every month, have a goal. This goal of yours has to be something important for you to achieve. Then, "streamline" your life and focus on achieving that goal no matter what. For that month alone, you should be focused on that goal and nothing else.

Write down your goal on a piece of paper.

And below it, write down what you need to do in order to achieve your goal.

And then do it...

This helps because it lets you focus in on the nearest moment of your life. It's not so far out into the future that it becomes irrelevant, but at the same time, it's not so soon that it's worthless. Monthly goals help. Try it out.

EDIT: By "steamline", I meant focus on that goal alone and eliminate everything else.

The problem is, to do what you want in this world, you have to have money. I don't even have a job, no idea how I'm going to get one that doesn't drug test but pays enough for me. I don't even know where to begin to fix things with my family. Some days I just want to lock myself in my closet and stay there forever.
Just think how much stronger you're going to be when you get through this tough patch. You're going to be a badass. Adversity makes people tough. Remember that you can't control other people, you can only control yourself.

OH MY GOSH YES
LATIN TEST.
TWO DAYS
Worst two days of my life will be those two days.
I'm serious.
I felt like I was out of breath the whole time before the actual test, and I was breathing really heavily as I tried to calm myself down.
But honestly it wasn't that bad, I knew it better than I thought I did.
It was biology

I felt like I was out of breath the whole time before the actual test, and I was breathing really heavily as I tried to calm myself down.
But honestly it wasn't that bad, I knew it better than I thought I did.
It was biology
I did the same thing for chemistry. I was freaking out, and I actually knew most of it.
Latin is gonna be harder, since I honestly don't know much.
Seriously; I have to go to my notes multiple times per passage.

I did the same thing for chemistry. I was freaking out, and I actually knew most of it.
Latin is gonna be harder, since I honestly don't know much.
Seriously; I have to go to my notes multiple times per passage.
I know how you feel.. I suck at languages, but we had to pick one for our GCSEs..

I don't think I have any really good tips. I kinda just hold it in until I get home. Never had good friends; and I love my family, but they're a pack of hyenas. I didn't grow up with a support group or person. The best advice I can give is to probably not do what I do? I think? Stress is not your friend? Like Hall Kervean Hall Kervean said, I'll listen to music sometimes. I've heard that option is used more frequently than other options. Some kind of physical activity may also help. It doesn't even have to be that strenuous. You just have to be doing something, and concentrating on just doing that for a while.

I don't think about it then have a panic attack when it happens, like today!
(Exams terrify me..)
Once, I had a panic attack during my English final. I had to go to the bathroom and cry for like ten minutes before I could go back in. EVERYONE WAS STARING. I hated it. Especially since my face gets so flushed when I cry.

I don't think I have any really good tips. I kinda just hold it in until I get home. Never had good friends; and I love my family, but they're a pack of hyenas. I didn't grow up with a support group or person. The best advice I can give is to probably not do what I do? I think? Stress is not your friend? Like Hall Kervean Hall Kervean said, I'll listen to music sometimes. I've heard that option is used more frequently than other options. Some kind of physical activity may also help. It doesn't even have to be that strenuous. You just have to be doing something, and concentrating on just doing that for a while.
Distracting myself only works for so long. Then the build up of everything just explodes and I can't handle it. I hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back