Chitchat How do you deal with anxiety/stress?

I deal with stress like a military operation.

You attack it with a quick and brutal frontal assault and if all else fails drop a nuke from orbit, it is the only way to be sure.

I've gotten to the age where I don't let trivial things bother me and I let the chips fall where they may. If it is something I know I can handle or something that has to be dealt with sooner than later you just attack it. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

JUST. FUCKING. DEAL. WITH. IT.

i barely get stress, but when i do, music helps, and also meditation if i ever go back to my buddhist club ahhh.

I deal with stress like a military operation.

You attack it with a quick and brutal frontal assault and if all else fails drop a nuke from orbit, it is the only way to be sure.

I've gotten to the age where I don't let trivial things bother me and I let the chips fall where they may. If it is something I know I can handle or something that has to be dealt with sooner than later you just attack it. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

JUST. FUCKING. DEAL. WITH. IT.
JUST FUCKING DEAL WITH IT

I LIKE IT

The moral of the story below:you are thinking too much.

Stress can be of different forms.If you are stressed due to the realization of the fact that you will die......then it can hardly be called stress.This type of thing happened to me when I was 12 when I realized that my parents will die and I won't be able to be with them or I may die and I won't be able to be with my friends or the utter helplessness about the fact that I don't know what will happen to me after I die. I took a week off school and kept crying while my parents tried to console me.I thought for some time that I may as well as die now if I have to die one day. But, I later thought that if I am going to die, let me eat all the foods I want to eat, play all the games I want to play, watch all the movies I want to see and date all the girls I admire and then die.But judging by the fact that you are graduating in 18 days, I am guessing you aren't a 12 year old(unless you're a prodigy and then you should have already solved this situation with the prodigal mind of yours) and hence shouldn't have this dilemma. I don't know which movie it was from, but the line really sticks to me thinking about your post.." All that has to happen will happen.So, why bother.".
And if it's graduation. I don't know why would be stressed about graduation.Insecurity about securing a job? Would have to leave friends? I can't comment about that, because I am just graduating high school this month and I was always a loner.

The moral of the story below:you are thinking too much.

Stress can be of different forms.If you are stressed due to the realization of the fact that you will die......then it can hardly be called stress.This type of thing happened to me when I was 12 when I realized that my parents will die and I won't be able to be with them or I may die and I won't be able to be with my friends or the utter helplessness about the fact that I don't know what will happen to me after I die. I took a week off school and kept crying while my parents tried to console me.I thought for some time that I may as well as die now if I have to die one day. But, I later thought that if I am going to die, let me eat all the foods I want to eat, play all the games I want to play, watch all the movies I want to see and date all the girls I admire and then die.But judging by the fact that you are graduating in 18 days, I am guessing you aren't a 12 year old(unless you're a prodigy and then you should have already solved this situation with the prodigal mind of yours) and hence shouldn't have this dilemma. I don't know which movie it was from, but the line really sticks to me thinking about your post.." All that has to happen will happen.So, why bother.".
And if it's graduation. I don't know why would be stressed about graduation.Insecurity about securing a job? Would have to leave friends? I can't comment about that, because I am just graduating high school this month and I was always a loner.
It's not that I'm leaving friends or anything, I guess it's just the fact that I have gotten so used to this place for 4 years and then I'm out on my own in a week. Marijuana makes it very hard to find a job as well. I just wish things could be easy, you know? But life will go on, no brakes or anything. Just don't know what to do.

You will have to struggle a bit, that's for sure. Good luck out there in the real world, But taking unnecessary stress will only make it harder. Don't think too much. Think life of as a roller coaster with a fixed track rather than a car which you can steer.It makes it easier to handle.

Last edited:
I don't deal with anxiety that well. Usually curl into a ball and hope it goes away. But for real, during my peak anxiety moments, I try and listen to soothing music, or if possible, step away from the thing causing me anxiety for a little bit. Also, curling oneself in a fluffy blanket helps a lot.

I don't deal with anxiety that well. Usually curl into a ball and hope it goes away. But for real, during my peak anxiety moments, I try and listen to soothing music, or if possible, step away from the thing causing me anxiety for a little bit. Also, curling oneself in a fluffy blanket helps a lot.

Attack the stress.

Don't let it grind you down, attack it with all your might and all your fury, attack!

CONQUER THE STRESS! GIVE IT NOTHING BUT TAKE FROM IT, EVERYTHING!

OH WOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE I JUST HAD A CLASS ON STRESS YESTERDAY

Each person is different and have their own way of dealing with stress. Personally if you are dealing with a lot of stress I would recommend seeing a therapist rather than asking people here but I will help by making a list of a few things that do help;

Lavender or spearmint , the scent of them are proven to releave stress

Laying in bed listening to music or reading a book is a great way to relax

Meditation and breathing exercises help too

Going on a hike in nature is always a great way to wind down

These are just a few things that have helped people

OH WOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE I JUST HAD A CLASS ON STRESS YESTERDAY

Each person is different and have their own way of dealing with stress. Personally if you are dealing with a lot of stress I would recommend seeing a therapist rather than asking people here but I will help by making a list of a few things that do help;

Lavender or spearmint , the scent of them are proven to releave stress

Laying in bed listening to music or reading a book is a great way to relax

Meditation and breathing exercises help too

Going on a hike in nature is always a great way to wind down

These are just a few things that have helped people

I have the stress body wash from B&BW, it has lavender in it and it smells really nice. It smells up my whole bathroom during showers and it's so calming.I have 3 books I'm reading simultaneously right now, though I'm worried I won't finish them before I graduate because then I'd have to turn them in. I guess I could always just go to the public library near here. Hiking and other exercise type stuff just aren't up my alley. Even though I know it helps with depression and stress.

I have the stress body wash from B&BW, it has lavender in it and it smells really nice. It smells up my whole bathroom during showers and it's so calming.I have 3 books I'm reading simultaneously right now, though I'm worried I won't finish them before I graduate because then I'd have to turn them in. I guess I could always just go to the public library near here. Hiking and other exercise type stuff just aren't up my alley. Even though I know it helps with depression and stress.
Exercise isn't really for me either. I stuck to reading and music and art. And don't forget you can also check out a book store and see if they have them for sale there.

Reading these posts remind me of the stressful times brought onto me when I graduated high school. I remember it being a really rocky time since 1. I was going to be an adult™ and 2. a classmate committed suicide during school and as someone who already experiences depression, it was extremely difficult to deal with figurative and literal death.
But all of that is kind of irrelevant, I just wanted to say that breathing goes a long way, especially since we tend to take it for granted, but controlling your breathing helps with panic attacks, at least it does for me, and kind of puts your mind back on track. Crying helps if you really need it, especially if you have way too much bottled up in you, sometimes you just need to let it out. Writing in a journal helps too, you're putting your feelings down and it's a good alternative if you don't have anyone to talk to. Don't feel bad if you don't write in it consistently, after all feelings come and go.
And lastly, water is a good drink to have after something like a panic attack. Especially if it's cold. Keeping yourself hydrated after something as physically exhausting as crying or having an anxiety attack is very very important. At the end of the day, these methods won't cure depression, but it's progress to making yourself feel better at the moment being. Sorry, this got really rambly, I'm kind of tired.

I'm not much help with this at all honestly. Stress isn't that much a part of my life at this point since I'm a very lax person. When stress does enter my life I make sure that it doesn't turn into distress. People don't seem to realize stress and distress are two separate things. Stress is a good thing if you let it be. Distress is the bad stress that keeps you up at night and haunts you.

Stress to me is a motivator. If I'm stressed about say a test then I turn that into a challenge. Something that I can overcome. Something that I can beat.

Most of the time though it doesn't get to that point. Like I said I'm a very chill person.

generally how I deal with brainweird stuff is I sleep it off ??? it never works but it's a start ahah,

I used to escape into my own head, worldbuilding and such - but that is no way to live life. I was born with sensory integration dysfunction; it means that I can get overstimulated from daily life, from stimulus that really wouldn't bother most people. Have you ever experienced the disorientation and anxiety and STRESS from being overwhelmed by the noise, the lights, and swarm of bodies in a rock concert? Welcome to my world. For me, living with constant stress was normal. I responded by removing myself from my surroundings since I was very young; I was also shy and bullied. So while other kids played house or tag, I did a "story in my eyes". Being the weird, ostracized kid at school, I had all the time in the world to do what I now realize was worldbuilding - and I became damn good at it, too. I have several journals in my house filled with notes, conlangs, and drawings of these worlds and several of them. This habit magnified itself after I turned 10; I don't go around sharing my personal information online, but I can tell you my family went through utter hell - and I'm sure you can imagine what my response to that was. But the more I hid inside my own head, the more detached I became from the world around me I didn't know how people would react or act, what descriptions of character traits meant because of this. And, the more you hide inside your head, the less you do things that would actually mitigate your anxiety. For me, my anxieties took the form of catastrophic fears. I could have mitigated them through exercise and talking to other people about them, but when you live in your own head, what incentive is their to do that? Only in the last few years, as I broke out of this cycle, have I realized how escapism has harmed me. I struggle with picking up connotations of certain phrases and social cues; I'm excellent at worldbuilding, but ask me to write a character, and I struggle. Even today I am still quite attached to my fantasy worlds; when I make an RP out of them, I become quite attached to that as well - but, in sum, it has come at the cost of much of my social life. I learned the hard way; escaping into your own head hurts you in the long run.

So what to do instead? Exercise has been a huge help, in my experience. I walk with my ipod and swing to music at the park; I take my neighbor's neglected dogs to the forest preserve or dog park; I take my cats into my backyard. Avoid caffine; it is a stimulant and will only worsen your stress. Providing yourself with proprioception can really help bring you back into the moment. If you feel like your head is foggy and you cannot think, take your palms and press them together, with your elbows sticking out, as hard as you can. Better yet, push your body against a wall, as if you are the only think keeping it from falling. Run a soft brush over your arms. Scratch your back. Being around animals also reduces stress, or so I've heard.

Music always helps. So does (for me) reading my Bible, sketching something that shows how I feel, or being in nature. I hope one of those can help you as well.

Light yoga, self-care, deep breathing. All of which I've been neglecting lately, but generally simple self-care is how I deal with anxiety when the light bulb goes off that I'm actually not feeling okay. Taking the time to mindfully be kind to my body is soothing to my mind. Taking special care to use products that make me feel nice, sleeping on my favorite sheets, sipping tea, lighting a scented candle. Anything that feels comforting is good.

Also, tons of positive affirmations.

Last edited:
Walking outdoors, being in nature, taking breaks, being with friends, staying away from screens and technology help me manage stress and anxiety.

Whenever I feel anxious about my existence or frightened by the infinite impossibility of reality, I just remember the wise words of a brilliant scientist.

i draw or write or listen to music if no one's available for me to talk to

I solve math problems and balance chemical equations.
Clean or organize, and read something difficult and look up words in a paper dictionary. (My favorites being BMC Medicine and JAMA) After I have calmed down, I make a list of some kind--usually a pro/con list if I'm agonizing over a decision, or a to-do list if I'm overwhelmed with the issues.

I have a very 'live and let live' mindset towards other people, so the only thing I get stressed over is schoolwork. If a person is bothering me, I treat them politely but otherwise indifferently.

(Depends on the subject) I think in some cases handling stress is temporary. E.G. You're stressed today because there are exams tomorrow. So you listen music and your stress goes away as you forget about everything. But reality is waiting, and it's gonna slap you hard. I hate stress. Stress causes pimples and makes life harder. But there are some ways I do to remove it.

I always stay calm and try to be positive. Because letting stress get to you is the reason you're stressed anyways. There are some days I just don't want to breathe. But instead I just breathe in and out; After, I watch videos of people failing at life so I can tell myself I'm not the only one who's stressed.

Praying also helps~ A LOT

I'm terrible at pushing through my anxiety but if you (like me) are prone to hyperventilating, here are the things I have learned:
Sit down and place both your soles firmly on the ground. The palms of your hands should rest on your thighs. Breathe deeply and think only about breathing until you are steady again. (I personally use the 4 sec inhale, 7 sec hold and 8 sec exhale becaise the counting and controlled airflow help me snap out of whatever my mind is telling me but it might not be for everyone)
Another thing I was told to do: everytime you feel peaceful or happy, think of a certain image. Remember that image when you feel overwhelmed.
It's not a miracle solution but at least I don't end up like a stranded whale anymore when anxiety shuts me down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back