• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Deadwood Deer

Ten Thousand Club
The morning sun warms the Embrace as the forests ring with the sound of training. It is just days before the Proving, and from all across the Embrace, young men and women both born within the Nora tribe and as Outcasts begin to make their way towards Mother's Heart, where the event is held. Those who pass the Proving become Braves, but to the winner, the Matriarchs grant a Boon.

Machines and creatures run in the forests. Striders grazed and Watchers watched, Scrappers scrapped destroyed machines, and other machines did what they do. Except for the increased activity in preparation for the Proving, the Embrace was as normal.

Ira
Outcast
The Woods around Mother's Heart

Ira rose with the sun, as usual. Climbing down from the tree she had slept in to avoid machines, she checked that none her belongings had fallen out of their pouches and bags in the night. They hadn't. That was nice, and meant the next part of her routine would take less time: hunting breakfast and going for a climb.

A green holographic circle appeared by her right ear as she sought out a rabbit for breakfast. Focus use was one of the many things that kept her from interacting with tribe members, but it was useful and more reliable than other senses, so she kept it. Finding a rabbit, she nocked an arrow from her bow and fired, skewering the little bunny. She found a safe spot to skin and cook the rabbit while she watched others go about their business in the Embrace.

Lu-Lu Lu-Lu Liftoff Liftoff

Mara had been up since the crack of dawn. She'd washed her face, eaten breakfast and lined the scars on her face with makeup to make herself look intimidating. Making sure she had her spear, she exited her house. Taking a deep breath, she started towards Mother's Heart, where the Proving was to take place.

Deadwood Deer Deadwood Deer Lu-Lu Lu-Lu

Last edited:
“Harea where do you think you’re going? The Prov—“
The woman’s words were met with mock disdain, an exaggerated sigh coming from the golden haired teen as she pinned her locks in place atop her head with pits usual metal pin. It was decidedly much too early for such a heavy conversation, the thought of The Proving made the girl feel sick to her stomach and it was high time to disappear into The Embrace, find a nice, high place to notch some Arrows; maybe work on some crafting.
”Ma, lets not. I promise to go run the Brave Trails or something”
she shrugged as she swept a piece of the drying jerky from beside the hearth and took it between her teeth, skipping towards the door of their hut before her Mother could say anything more.

Once outside, Harea adjusted the position of her bow and quiver against her back, tightening all the belts and loops that held her equipment on before heading out into The Embrace, skirting the outside of Mother’s Heart she was eager to avoid the stares of the other young Nora, especially those acquainted with her family.

Deadwood Deer Deadwood Deer Liftoff Liftoff

The sounds of woodcutting, people climbing, and machines communicating and dying greeted the competitors they all made their morning rounds. The number of young men and women competing to become Braves was great, this year, and the Brave Trails seemed to have someone flying by every few seconds.

It was during this time that the outcast atop the cliff, the one-eyed girl, and the huntress avoiding her parents would collide in their paths, as Herea and Mara would cross cross paths, while Ira's grip on the dew-slicked climbing holds failed and dropped her onto a cluster of ridgewood.

"Ow...", Ira groaned as she lay among the broken stalks.

Herea’s stomach tightened as she first noted the Spear Wielder. She had hoped to avoid contact with anyone before The Proving, competition never sat well with her and her nerves had her feeling like a particular wreck this morning but, seeing as it was unavoidable, she grinned as well as she could given the state of her nerves.
”Hi good mo--“
Before the sentence could be finished she was interrupted by the distinctive crash of snapping twigs and crushed foliage as yet another body dropped from above, a casualty of the Brave Trails, landing in a nearby patch of Ridgewood. Another girl. oh jeez an Outcast, Ma would die of fright.
Herea hesitated for a minute, unsure if she should get involved, especially with the Spear Wielder being nearby; a nervous grin spread on her face as she took two hesitating steps towards her.
”uhh are you ok?”

Deadwood Deer Deadwood Deer Liftoff Liftoff

Hearing someone behind her, Mara paused and looked over her shoulder. No sooner than when she'd done this, she heard a crash, followed by a thump. Spinning around, she pulls her spear from her back. There in a pile of Ridgewood laid a girl. The girl who'd addressed her had already went over to check on her.

Swiftly, securing her spear on her back, Mara approached them. Without hesitation, she bent down by the girl who'd fallen. "Hey," she muttered. "You okay?"

"Uh... Are you okay?"

"Hey, you okay?"

Ira's focus told her they were Nora. Outcasts weren't supposed to speak to Nora, or to each other if they weren't a family unit. And the tribe wasn't supposed to talk to Outcasts, either. It was against the Matriarchs' laws.

But there was no one around, and they'd made the first move, so maybe they were okay? Yes, yes they were. What could possibly happen, anyway? Were they going to shun her even more?

"Wet wood," Ira groaned as she pulled herself into a sitting position. Where did her bow land? Oh, there it was. At least it didn't break in the fall, and somehow she hadn't lost any arrows. "Need something?"

""Need something?"" Mara scoffed, shaking her head in disapproval and disgust. "Girl, I'm not the one who just fell into a pile of ridgewood. You need something? Like help getting up for example? " Mara spoke to her as if she were a completely regular person, even offering her hand to help the girl up.

Herae shifted uncomfortably where she stood seeing the caution on the outcasts face as she studied her, the corners of her lips twitched into a nervous grin and she scratched the back of her head sheepishly.
”not all of us are so good at following the rules.”

The spear Wielder‘s response was much more curt, bordering on hostile and Herae raised an eyebrow as she eyed the gruff girl with an air of caution even as she approached and even offered her hand to the outcast, Herae took a step back to distance herself from the group and adjusted the bow sling across her shoulders.
”No uh just wasn’t expecting to see someone fall from the Trails but you seem ok. Names Herae, might as well introduce myself since you seem like you’re old enough to run The Proving this year.”
she looked visibly nauseous at the thought.

Liftoff Liftoff Deadwood Deer Deadwood Deer

"Not the first time I've fallen harder than I meant to," Ira muttered as she took Mara's hand. She brushed herself off before addressing Herae. "I'm Ira, I'm gonna run the proving, yeah."

She picked up her bow and replaced it on her back, "I wasn't running the trail, though, I was climbing down after breakfast." Everything seemed intact, she hadn't lost anything, that was good. "What brings you two to this corner?"

"Me, I'm heading to Mother's Heart to take part in the Proving, just like you." Mara said, more pleasantly. "I'm glad you're alright. Take care when you're climbing, okay?" After a moment of thought, Mara proposed that the three of them walk to Mother's Heart together, because they were all heading to The Proving anyway.

“I uh probably shouldn’t..”
Herae looked around somewhat nervously at the mention of the three of them walking to Mothers Heart, clearly concerned about drawing attention to herself.
”my family are uh pretty intense about the rules, even if it is The Proving.”
Haast is probably just waiting to ambush me in there. She thought to herself as the grip she held on her bow tightened.

Liftoff Liftoff Deadwood Deer Deadwood Deer

"She's right, if we're seen together before the festival, it's not like anything will change for me, but it might get you two Outcast," Ira agreed, "But I'll see you two then!" The outcast girl adjusted her equipment and made to walk off.

Lu-Lu Lu-Lu Liftoff Liftoff (Next cycle we're timeskipping to the Proving Festival)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back